September 2017 Moms

Elevated AFP

i received my AFP results and mine was 2.7. My dr office told me that the cut off is 2.5. They don't seem too worried and I, on the other hand, am having panic attacks. I can't have my anatomy u/s until I'm 20 weeks which will be 5/10. Has anyone else had this happen?? I've seen where Dr offices give some people ratios, but they just told me they'll check him on the u/s when I come in! 

Re: Elevated AFP

• I am so sorry that you are going through this. I haven't experienced it, my online portal had my results and all the ratios were 1 in over 10k chance. Maybe you can log in there if you can? Hope all is well. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My AFP test came back low, which meant increased risk for Down Syndrome. I immediately went back in for additional blood work. The 1 week wait to get the results could have possibly been one of the worst weeks in my life. I was anxious all the time and it was all I could think of. 

The test does a calculation based on your age, weight, gestational age, and a few other things and compares it to the normal. If any of the 4 things they test (I don't know exactly what they are) aren't "normal" compared to others with the same age, weight, etc. then it will test you results are abnormal. Is assesses a risk based on that. Mine was 1/166. My second test eventually came back negative for any chromosomal abnormalities, thankfully. 

I know this may not have helped much because nothing would help me during that week, but try to relax and much as possible. You could always ask your Dr. for an additional test like a Panorama. Although depending on when your A/S is you may just want to wait for it since the results can take 7-10 business days.