November 2017 Moms

Gender Reveal

This topic has come up before in UO but I'm curious: are you having one? What kind of gathering? Are you planning to find out just you and your SO before the reveal? How are you revealing?

Re: Gender Reveal

• My moms best friend this weekend asked me if we could do another. We weren't planning on it but now we may do something with just my family and her and I will make dinner and a cake. Last time I found out as well at the reveal but we are doing the blood testing this time so I figure I will find out and then have to hold that secret myself. Yikes! I'm not a good secret keeper lol
  • We did one with our first born where my mom knew and made a cake that my DH and I cut into in front of family and friends so we all found out together. This time I'm thinking DH and I will find out at the appt and have the "reveal" be something where our DS finds out what the baby is in some fun way. I'm thinking since it will be June and should be plenty warm, he may get to use water guns to spray mommy and daddy with the color at a family BBQ.
  • Loading the player...
  • I hate being the center of attention, so we're not planning on doing one (I don't think H would even know what I meant if I asked for one... it just hasn't been done in our circle of friends). But H and I definitely want to find out on our own. After that, we'll decide how to tell people. Probably just a "hey, we're having a...". We're boring.
  • I think my SO and I will just have my close friend here get a small cake made for us to reveal the gender and then have her record us cutting into it. Then we'll probably send the video to our friends and families. We live so far from our families this is probably the easiest for everyone, especially if we want them to travel for the baby shower later on. 
  • I was thinking about this... does anyone have any clever ideas for a gender reveal for twins?
    Me: 28 DW: 23
    Dating: 10/23/2013
    Married: 6/13/2014
    TTC since June 2016
    BFP #1: 3/2/17 - MC 5/22/17

• We'll find out at the anatomy scan. We'll just call people. We don't live near any family and having to sit in a car for 5+ hours to find out what the sex is doesn't appeal to me at all. 
    November 2017 July Summer Fails

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I also hate being the center of attention so we opted just to tell people the old fashioned way.  I've seen a ton of cute reveals though so I am all for it if that is your thing.  It's just not mine.

Funny note, at Henry's anatomy scan he wouldn't cooperate for a really, really long time.  Finally they let me empty my bladder and when I came back, he was moving a ton.  My husband shouts "I see a peen!  I see a peen!" really, really loud.  You could here the office staff outside the ultrasound room giggling.
  • Not planning anything. It's not my thing. 
  • We didn't do a party with DD so I don't really feel like we should do a party for #2. 

However, with DD we did a picture of my husband standing behind me and putting our hands together in the shape of a heart on my belly. It was a black and white photo and the heart color was pink to signify we were having a girl and then we put her name on it as well. 

This time I want to do a picture of DD sitting playing chalk and have her feet be in a V (heart shape) and color her feet with either pink or blue chalk and put the baby's name on it. 
  • We will be doing one based off our theme. DH and I love Harry Potter so both the nursery and showers are HP themed. My mom came up with a cute photo shoot idea using the sorting hat and it will go out with Shower invites and be posted on FB.
  • QTAMum3QTAMum3 member
    edited April 2017
    We didn't do anything special for the sex of the boys but with DD I commissioned the local bakery to fill a few of our favorite cupcakes with the corresponding color to the sex written in a sealed envelope. It was intimate and special and I may do something like this again. 

That at being said, DH said he doesn't want to do anything this time. Just find out at the U/S, meh. 
    Me: 30 DH: 34
    Married: 11/2013
     "Q" DS1: 3/2011
    "T" DS2: 10/2012
    "A" DD: 1/2014
    EDD #4: 11/26/2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyName Ticker

• Our families live far away so we're finding out at the anatomy scan because a) we want our own private reaction and b) our families won't be at the reveal and it feels weird to us to share our first reaction only with friends. We're using it as a fun way to announce to our friends instead. Hoping to just have a BBQ and feed everyone (no gifts). I love the idea of everyone popping balloons and having powder come out if it's biodegradable and won't ruin our friends' backyard! Otherwise we'll just keep it simple and do a cake.

@captainfoxtrot I've seen a lot of couples do a cake with the gender on each side, or a layered cake with the colors on top of each other, or two boxes filled with balloons

• We had a big party with our first so we are doing something much more low-key this time around. DH and I already found out from the blood test, so we will announce the baby and sex with a cute photo around 13 weeks. We will be in Disney around that time so I think I will take a picture of DS holding a pink Mickey balloon and send it out to everyone :)
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Last time DH and I popped a balloon filled with pink confetti on video. I was ultra concerned about DHs family being jealous because they don't live nearby and not being invited to a party/cookout/whatever should we have had one. 
    This time, Im thinking a get together with cake & burgers since my SD will be in town, and skyping the family that isn't in the immediate area. 
  • Nothing special, and if we find out via NIPT (dealing with an insurance mess) we'll just announce it on FB with our reveal (it's not public knowledge beyond very close friends and family yet). If we find out via anatomy scan, probably just a Facebook post as well - either way it'll be a simple thing sharing the name we chose I guess. 
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• I didn't do one with my DS but this time around, I am planning to do one for baby #2 once I find out the gender. (hoping sometime in May) I want to include my husband and son in this little reveal party with my bro-in law recording the whole thing while I stand by watching and not really in the shot/action. 

I'm looking to have two big boxes color tagged with the gender color (blue or pink) and only one box will have balloon(s) inside. (accordingly to the baby's gender)

I'll ask my DS (2yr) if he wants a baby sister or brother and have him go open the box of his choice. If he guessed/picked right, out come the balloon(s)!  I'll then post it on FB for our close family and friends to see. (some don't even know we're preggo yet!)

Just thinking about it got me really excited and I can't wait to surprise my husband with the reveal and see his reaction. Also to see how excited my DS will be.............. about the balloons...cause really...he doesn't understand what baby#2 is all about yet lol
    4 years TTC (Unexplained)
    2014: 3 IUIs Failed
    2014: IVF #1 succeed- Baby Boy Born 2015
    2017: IVF #2 Jan Cycle - BFP! EDD 11/2/17

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @pawcall I am dealing with my insurance covering my NIPT as well. I may just avoid it as they're saying my doc has to send in paperwork why it's needed, etc. How about because I am old and at a higher risk of having a child with down syndrome. Makes no sense I have to jump through hoops for a test. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • With DS and DD after the anatomy scan, we gave all the grandparents a box to open that had a blue or pink paci inside. Everyone else just found out via a FB post. This time I thought about staying team green, but we have no boy name, so I need to know lol. I would like to have a gender reveal with balloons in a box. I think it would be fun for DS and DD. Since it will be the second week of July, I'm sure it will be a cookout and we will invite family and close friends. I hope for no gifts, that's not the point here. 
  • CubsFan7 said:
    @pawcall I am dealing with my insurance covering my NIPT as well. I may just avoid it as they're saying my doc has to send in paperwork why it's needed, etc. How about because I am old and at a higher risk of having a child with down syndrome. Makes no sense I have to jump through hoops for a test. 
    I just got the call that I'm good to get the blood drawn Monday. It's ridiculous. I am literally sitting here looking at the child I gave birth to already with rare genetic issues. So yeah, I will need the NIPT. I can't even let myself go down the road of how different the beginning of his life would've been if we'd known what was wrong instead of getting the runaround constantly. 
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• @pawcall Sorry you went through that frustration. Glad you'll have testing and results soon. 
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • We did a mini gender reveal with just my sister because she is the only family that lives near us. The rest of my family will learn about the baby and the gender at the same time in a couple weeks.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Doing a reveal isn't really our thing either. Depending on what we have this time, we may or may not tell anyone what we are having. We have two boys and didn't tell anyone with either of them and I got a LOT of flack from family about stealing their fun. I think if we are having a boy we might tell people, but if we are having a girl, not happening. I don't want my shopping happy MIL and her sister to go completely nuts buying a bunch of horrible girly junk that my kiddo won't wear. No thanks.

• We might do it (we'll see if I feel like planning a party at that time, haha). We'll probably just barbecue and cut a cake, which I'll probably make. I originally wanted to find out the gender at the reveal, but DH wants to find out privately at the anatomy scan, so that's what we'll do. 
    Nov 17 BMB May Siggy Challenge: Mother's Day Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • With #1 and #2 this was not a thing:) With number three, we took the big kids to the U/S with us and found out as a family. We then had a small family gathering where we let my mom and MIL open boxes containing christmas ornaments filled with blue confetti saying "Its a boy!" We made these with supplies from the craft store. It was fun! I think this time we are NOT going to tell the kids or anyone and do something fun for the kids to find out. Then, send pics to our parents and post on FB something cute with them showing the gender.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I think I'm going to not tell anyone anything at all and pretend to be team green but we will find out and of course prepare DS for a little brother or sister. Hopefully he does not blurt out aloud to everyone. 
  • We are finding out but not doing a big reveal. I've got a lot of transgender and non-binary friends, so I have a lot of feelings on if and how we reveal the sex before birth. I've been trying to do some research on how to do it in a sensitive way. If I can't find anything, we will just tell people if they ask. We are also working really hard to think of it as the baby's sex rather than gender, since obviously they could fall anywhere on the gender spectrum regardless of their anatomy as they grow up. But it's hard to move away from ingrained habits!
  • I mean..I'll prob send a text to my family lol. 

Maybe ill I'll make a fb status but maybe not.
  • I don't think we'll do a party or anything. Last year, with DS3 we were able to announce on Easter to our family, so that timing worked out well. I think if it's a girl, we'll do something cute for my step daughter and video tape it and send that to people and post on FB. She cried when she found out DS3 was a boy and she's the only girl out of 5 right now. If it's a boy, I'll probably make some silly pic to send to people and put on FB, but I won't include the kids in it, because I know my step daughter will be devastated. 
  • ineedsixeggsineedsixeggs member
    edited April 2017
    Gender reveal parties seem so fun to plan (I love themed party planning) but I don't know that we will find out. We didn't with our first, and I don't really want to this time either. But my husband does, so we may decide to give it a go. But even if we find out, I don't know that we'll tell people. Because I'm not really into pink vs. blue personally.

ETA: But I still love seeing others' creativity. A friend of mine trained her duck hunting dog to retrieve a pink decoy (instead of the blue) for her reveal. 
  • @cmessamore Aww! Now I hope you're having a girl!
    Nov 17 BMB May Siggy Challenge: Mother's Day Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My mom will be in town when we find out, and we always do a little family gathering when she's here so we're just doing it then. It'll be a little larger than usual (30ish people including kids) since some of our friends wanted to come too. I'm not decorating or anything, but DH is going to kick a football filled with pink or blue powder. It's also my brother and my niece's birthdays that week so we'll sing for them and have cake. It's like one big all encompassing party! 
  • The pregnancy reveal to our families on mothers day weekend will also be a gender reveal since I know it from bloodwork.We will just share it verbally in person. 
  • We will not be finding out, so we won't be doing a reveal. But the idea always intrigued me. A friend of mine is doing a reveal at her baby shower in two weeks and from what I understand she has a complex game for her guests to play planned and somehow we will discover the sex that way. I'll keep you all posted on what exactly it is.... she won't give me details, I wondered if it was a scavenger hunt 
  • We won't be but we are going to do something small for our 2 kids and my parents (who live with us). Likely just a cake filled with pink if it's two girls, blue for two boys and purple if it's one of each. Our oldest is turning 5 in June and our son turns 2 in June as well, so they're a fun age that they're excited about it. 
    Me: 32 / H: 35
    Married 9-19-2009
    Baby Karrot 1.0 - 6.18.2012 - She's here! Via C-section @ 38 weeks.
    Baby Karrot 2.0 -
    6.25.2015 - He's here! Via VBAC @ 36 weeks.
    Baby Karrot 3.0 - 3.9.2017 - BFP @ 9 DPO! EDD 11.20.2017 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Last year we had a BabyQ nothing too crazy. DH and I made our own pull string piñata (golden egg) and revealed it that way. This time we will most likely take advantage of the long weekend in May to get family together for a second BabyQ and reveal via party poppers or cake. 

Me: 28 <3 DH: 29

#1 DS: 11/24/2016

#2 EDD: 11/15/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • BabyQ is a cute term.  I love it.
  • I think we might do a little party this time. My 20 week scan should be the same week my brother and his family are in town and my sil wants to do the party for me. So I may just hand her the envelope and find out with the rest of our family :) with my 1st we found out at our 16 week appt cause it was a slow day and our Dr snuck us in lol I seriously love him for that. We were staying at my in-laws for the summer at that point so we brought home a superhero cake we picked up on the way home to tell everyone it was a boy. Then another sil is a photographer and she always does special photoshoots for us like the pregnancy announcement and gender reveal.