September 2017 Moms

POTD - Breast Pumps

edited April 2017 in September 2017 Moms
I haven't seen a POTD for a few days now and I apologize if I'm someone else already posted one.

I'm sure many of us aren't even there yet, but what breast pump are you leaning toward? And since there are so many for each brand, I've left it at just the overall brand. If you have recommendations about specific models, we'd love to hear it!

**TW**
Me & DH: 32
Married 2013
Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."

POTD - Breast Pumps 85 votes

Medela
48% 41 votes
Spectra
18% 16 votes
Ameda
8% 7 votes
Evenflo
0% 0 votes
Avent
0% 0 votes
Freemie
0% 0 votes
Other
4% 4 votes
Not getting a pump (either exclusively breast feeding or exclusively formula feeding)
3% 3 votes
I have no idea. There are so many out there my brain is going to explode if I even try deciding.
16% 14 votes

Re: POTD - Breast Pumps

• I heard from a coworker that our insurance provides a Medela pump :) I've heard good things about them
    April Siggy Challenge--Creepy Easter Bunny

• I voted other because I am not sure. But I am getting whatever free pump is provided by my insurance. Hopefully it's a good one. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My SIL gave me 2 Medela pumps that she got from her insurance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • I have a nice Medela pump from insurance.. loved it last time and I'm sure I'll still love it this time!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I used the Medela and pumped twice a day when I returned to work, so I ALWAYS had it with me. I loved it and will use it again. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I got an Ameda pump through insurance with my 1st and worked great for me. I plan to use it again this time around.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Everyone I know uses Spectra and loves it. So I ordered the S1 from insurance. I will also be registering for the Kiinde breast milk bags to pump into and the associated bottles.

ETA: Spectra brands
    -S1: blue pump, high quality hospital grade double pump, closed system, rechargeable battery (doesn't have to be plugged in)
    - S2: same as the S1 except it does not have a rechargeable battery. And it's pink.
    - S9: smaller, more portable. Not as heavy duty though.
    Loved the Spectra one I had. I want to try the S1 this go round. Also, the Kiinde bags were some of my favorite because of how they stood up which made it less likely to spill putting the tops on. Zulily has deals on them sometimes and insurance should cover some of them too!
  • I got a Medela Pump In Style advanced with DS, from my insurance company.  I used it to EP for 10 months, and it was a total workhorse.  I think it was about 8-9x a day in the beginning, and 2x by the end.  So, it got a lot of use.

If you plan to be pumping a lot and you can afford a pump solely for at home, I highly recommend the Medela Symphony, which is hospital grade.  It is *not* portable the way the PISA is, but it's a much better pump.  A lot of places will rent them, and my work has them available in the lactation 'room'.  
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I had an Ameda through insurance with DD. It was fine after the first couple of months. I rented a hospital grade Medela through Babies R Us the first few months and it really worked well since I was exclusively pumping. I'll probably do the same thing this time as well as see what my insurance offers this time around. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mainly EBF just like I did with my last. I did get a Madela Harmony hand pump for cloggeed ducts,over supply and the occasional bottle. This time i plan on getting the Haaka silcone hand pump. I've heard amazing things about it and it looks so easy to clean.

Canadian Bumpie - Texas bound
    DS #1 [S-5]
    3 Step Daughters [A-8] [E-6] [I-4]
    Baby #2 09/10/2017 
    It's a BOY! 
    Babywearer&EBF
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• I have a grandfathered plan so I have zero coverage for a pump. I'll exclusively use formula this time around (again) since it's easier to discern food allergies when's you know exactly what your LO is eating instead of trying to remember what you ate all day. 
  • I heard from a coworker that our insurance provides a Medela pump :) I've heard good things about them
    Same.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I used an Ameda last time with DD and really like it so that is what I plan to do again. I want to get the Kindee system too for storage bags. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • My insurance provided for an Ameda last time. So, that's likely what I will end up with again. It did the job although toward the end of my time nursing, when my son was about a year old, the motor began to fizzle out.
  • I had a Medela PISA before and pumped while working full time. It was a great pump! 

I've wanted a Spectra this time because so many have told me it's more comfortable to use while still being super efficient like the Medela. 
    <><><><><>DD1- May 2011<><><><><>
    <><><><><>Angel Baby- June 2012<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DD2- March 2013<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DS1- ETA September 2017<><><><><>
  • Debating between the Medela PISA or Spectra S2. My insurance offers both. Would love to hear what others had to say about these two. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Went with a Medela double electric last time based on reviews and the lactation consultants recommendation. I think I used it either once or twice so I can't provide much feedback. I used the Medela hand once 5-6 times I think, it worked fine. Might try a little harder to pump some for this LO so DS has the option to feed the baby if he'd like.  
  • I used a Medela PISA with DS for a year, it was awesome. This time I'm getting a hospital grade Medela. 
  • I have NO idea. DS wouldn't take a bottle because of severe gag reflex problems so we EBF for 14 months. That was hard. I'm planning of BF again but we'll probably have a pump... idk.. I guess we'll see. I'm just kind of thinking of playing it fast and loose this time. BF, pump, formula, whatever happens happens I guess.
  • Used a Medela PISA from insurance last time and rented the Medela Symphony when having issues with mastitis. The PISA was fine,  but couldn't compare to the symphony. If that was covered by insurance, I would go that route. I'll check and see what's covered this time and then vote. 
  • Debating between the Medela PISA or Spectra S2. My insurance offers both. Would love to hear what others had to say about these two. 
    Spectra S2 

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Ae_Lovely321Ae_Lovely321 member
    edited April 2017
    I've heard a lot of good things about spectra, but I honestly don't know anything about pumps that make them good.  Is manual vs. Electric better? 

Eta: I plan on pumping at work when I go back after 3 months and at home from time to time so hubby can feed as well. I'm worried about supply issues as I have never gone through this experience before. My insurance covers practically every pump brand available. 
  • Vote for medela PISA. I pumped a lot (over 1000 oz was just for donation plus I had enough stored to feed my son 2-3 bottles a day for months after I finished BF'ING. No signs of wear or any issues. 
  • @Ae_Lovely321 If you're pumping for work, definitely go double electric. I loved having my Medela manual around, but it's only good for oversupply and the occasional date night bottle. 
  • @awildrose thanks,  that's good to know.  I was looking at the spectra1 and 2 because they're dual voltage which is a must living in the UK. I don't want to have to lug our 25lb transformer around every time I need to pump. 
  • @Ae_Lovely321 Lol! That would definitely be nice. Between the two, I'd go with the S1 if possible because it has a rechargeable battery. I have an S2 (haven't used it yet), they're big, but the reviews and pluses seem 100% worth it the size downfall. 
  • My insurance covers any breast pump up to $450. I'm getting a double electric Medela from my best friend. I'm going to get another one so I can have one at home and one at work when o go back. I'm thinking I should probably just get the same kind so I don't have to buy different bags, or at least another one that used the same kind... Haven't looked into it enough.
  • I've only had Medala pumps. Until this pregnancy and my insurance will only cover Ameda. I'm soo not familiar with it but it's sitting here at the house looking at me so I guess that's what I'm using.  
  • I used the medela freestyle pump with my DS. I'm going to get a spectra 1 for work this time around. If it is hospital grade, I'm hoping I can pump more in a shorter period of time. 
  • I've heard a lot of good things about spectra, but I honestly don't know anything about pumps that make them good.  Is manual vs. Electric better? 

Eta: I plan on pumping at work when I go back after 3 months and at home from time to time so hubby can feed as well. I'm worried about supply issues as I have never gone through this experience before. My insurance covers practically every pump brand available. 
    If you work, you don't want manual. I kept a manual with me in case I forgot anything. I will say the medela manual works really well! I could pump a whole lot more, but I needed double hands free pumping at work. 
  • In addition to my pump I'm also going to get a  haakaa manual Brest pump.  
  • In addition to my pump I'm also going to get a  haakaa manual Brest pump.  
    Another vote for getting a manual hand pump to relieve yourself of pain in a quick second, whether in the middle of the night or wherever. 

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • STM-- anyone formula feed with your first and deciding to go BF this time? I am on the fence... my leave is unpaid so looking to save $$ while I'm not paid  :|
  • @awildrose thanks,  I just ordered the S1 :)
  • I've heard a lot of good things about spectra, but I honestly don't know anything about pumps that make them good.  Is manual vs. Electric better? 

If you work, you don't want manual. I kept a manual with me in case I forgot anything. I will say the medela manual works really well! I could pump a whole lot more, but I needed double hands free pumping at work. 
    I actually preferred using my manual (whether at work or at home). I got way better output over the same period of time. My hands weren't free, which meant I couldn't work. But that also meant I was forced to actually just relax and take it easy for a few minutes.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • I had Amedas for my first two pregnancies - bought for DD1 and through insurance for DD2 after the first one died. 

I had tons of problems with my Amedas for DD2. The motors were just terrible. They switched manufacturers sometime between 2011-2013 and I think the quality went way downhill. Not sure if it's improved since then. 

I'm considering switching to Medela this time, even though all of my accessories are Ameda. 
  • Lizlann said:
    I've heard a lot of good things about spectra, but I honestly don't know anything about pumps that make them good.  Is manual vs. Electric better? 

I actually preferred using my manual (whether at work or at home). I got way better output over the same period of time. My hands weren't free, which meant I couldn't work. But that also meant I was forced to actually just relax and take it easy for a few minutes.
    This is why it's good to have both,  because some women respond better to manual.  You never know until you try. 
  • hatratshatrats member
    With my current insurance, I can get a breast pump now (as opposed to waiting until the baby was born like I had to last time). Is it a stupid concern to rush out and get one right now in case ACA gets repealed? Can they change plans mid-year like that, or would it have to wait until next year?

Also, what all pumps listed above are open vs. closed system (aka, you have to clean the tubes)? How do you even clean them and dry them out every time? Is it a pain the ass? Last time I had an Ameda and didn't have to worry about it, but I'm exploring options again...

FWIW I did like my Ameda last time, and I have all the accessories, but I hate to think I'm missing out on some amazing pump because I never tried anything else... haha.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • You don't have to clean the tubes on an open or closed system. That is pertaining to the motor. An open system *could* get milk residue in the motor, and aren't recommended to be shared. Closed systems sometimes are called hospital grade and can be shared among people. But the tubes don't get moisture in them unless something needs replaced. In that case, drop rubbing alcohol down the tube and hang to dry.