Pregnant after IF

Bug spray?

anyone have any bug spray recommendations? We live in FL and don't know which is worse, getting bit all summer or all the chemicals in bug spray! Looking for something with not many chemicals and that actually works!! Any advice is appreciated!

Re: Bug spray?

• I live in a Zika infected country in Asia and the OB and tropical disease doctors here say to use the DEET sprays. While they are aggressive, they are not harmful to the Fetus and are much safer than anything you can catch from mosquitos (dengue, Zika etc). We are also recommended to wear light, long-sleeved clothing and trousers in bright colours (no black as that attracts mosquitos). 
    Maybe check with your OB what he/she would recommend? I guess every doc is different and the risks and diseases you could catch are different in each country and area. Wishing you a H&H 9 months 
    Me: 38, DH: 40 living in Asia
    TTC since March 2015 with known PCOS and MIF
    IVF in 2015. FET nr 3 in 2016 - BFP. Healthy baby girl born in April 2017.
    Trying for nr 2

• If you don't want to use DEET, which I personally never do pregnant or not, look for something with plant-based repellents - such as lemon eucalyptus leaf extracts and citronella. They are quite effective at repelling mosquitoes. The Honest Company has a pretty good one but my fav (for sunscreen too) is the Kiss My Face brand called Swy Flotter. I haven't been able to find it lately so I've been using the Honest Company one. 
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• Loading the player...
  • edited April 2017
    Unfortunately, DEET seems to be the most effective form of insect repellent for the type of mosquitos that carry Zika. It has been deemed safe for pregnant women. I personally use DEET spray... the effects of zika are much much worse. I'm in an unaffected area in Texas and Zika freaks me out... would for sure be using if I lived in FL. You do you, but be eqipped with all the facts before making a decision! Good luck!

Interesting tool from EPA: https://www.epa.gov/insect-repellents/find-insect-repellent-right-you
    *TW - Pregnancy mentioned*
    Me: 28 DH: 33, Married May 2014
    3 failed IUIs Dec '15 - Feb '16
    IVF April/May 2016 - 1 failed fresh transfer. 11 snow angels.
    1st FET 7/29/16 = BFP
    Lawson arrived on 4/24/2017 at 7lbs 15oz, 21 1/2 inches long!
    Surprise pregnancy!! Baby #2 due 10/11/18 <3
  • I remember seeing this report last year where a lab tested all the popular bug sprays against the type of mosquito that carries zika, with both DEET-based and non-DEET based brands: 
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/best-bug-sprays-for-fighting-zika/

also, it's not on the list, but I've also heard that Sawyer with Picardin really keeps the bugs away. I use Off Deep Woods...like PP, I'm not worried about the DEET being harmful...
  • Very true - I dont live in a Zika infected area - or near one! DEET won't hurt you but I avoid it. I think if I had to go to/live in a Zika area (or if Canada had another West Nile outbreak, something like that) I'd consider using a DEET product. 
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• I've researched this a lot-- I live in Georgia, where mosquito-borne Zika hasn't been recorded (but there are plenty of people who have it from traveling), and where mosquitos are vicious. I'm also extremely tasty to mosquitos-- they go for me before anyone around me. I'm expecting Zika to pop up in small patches around the southern U.S. this summer, so I'm taking precautions.

And I'm also a freak about avoiding chemicals. But I'll use DEET. It's dramatically more effective than anything else, and while it tastes/smells awful, I've been convinced that it's safe. There's no need to use a high concentration of it, though, like some brands sell.

I do love the outdoors, but I'll likely avoid doing much in the woods this summer, now that I'm pregnant. And even though my parents have scheduled two different weeks that they're renting a big condo on the beach in Florida (and we're invited, to stay for free), I might not take them up on it.

Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Like PPs said, DEET has been found to be safe for momma and baby. Sawyer with Picardin is great as well.  Natural remedies do not work for Zika mosquitos if that is a concern for you.  I got one of those geraniol bracelets last summer and it worked well, but in Colorado we didn't have Zika.

---Trigger warning---

Me: 31 DH: 27
    TTC since April 2013
    Two cancelled IUIs in Aug and Sept '15 due to low motility/count
    IVF round 1: January 2016
    ER: February 17, 2016; 9 retrieved, 7 mature, 7 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 5 BB, 1 AB, all normal from PGS
    FET date: May 11, '16; transferred 1 AB embryo
    First beta: May 23, '16: 998!!  Second: May 25, '16: 1648
    EDD: January 27, 2017
    BabyFruit Ticker