July 2017 Moms

Baby Gear Questions and Recommendations

Re: Baby Gear Questions and Recommendations

• Question for STM+....have any of you used more than one kind of monitor in baby's room?

Background story - We had the AngelCare monitor (sound and movement, no video) for DD and I loved the peace of mind the movement monitor gave me. We still use the monitor (sound only) to this day because DD's room is on the second floor and our room is on the first floor. We bought a splitscreen sound/video monitor from Motorola (I think) on sale at TRU so we can still monitor DD's room along with Baby #2's room. Only downside is that there is no movement monitor. I'm wondering if I can use the AngelCare for movement only and the video monitor for video/sound without interference. 

Or is there something better I can use?!?
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married 8 years - Aug 23/08
    DD - 6 years old, March 17/11
    #2 due July 19th! (It's a boy!)
  • XathXath member
    Question for STM+....have any of you used more than one kind of monitor in baby's room?

Background story - We had the AngelCare monitor (sound and movement, no video) for DD and I loved the peace of mind the movement monitor gave me. We still use the monitor (sound only) to this day because DD's room is on the second floor and our room is on the first floor. We bought a splitscreen sound/video monitor from Motorola (I think) on sale at TRU so we can still monitor DD's room along with Baby #2's room. Only downside is that there is no movement monitor. I'm wondering if I can use the AngelCare for movement only and the video monitor for video/sound without interference. 

AngelCare makes a video/sound/movement monitor now if you don't want the hassle of carrying multiple receivers. 
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • @Xath, I saw them in-store! However, they don't have a splitscreen/dual video feature. We need to monitor two rooms. It's proving to be a huge pain
    BabyFruit Ticker

• XathXath member
    @Xath, I saw them in-store! However, they don't have a splitscreen/dual video feature. We need to monitor two rooms. It's proving to be a huge pain
    Ah, that's more complicated. 

What about using the angelcare, but setting up one of those home cameras in each room that sync to a cell phone app?  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Xath said:
    @Xath, I saw them in-store! However, they don't have a splitscreen/dual video feature. We need to monitor two rooms. It's proving to be a huge pain

What about using the angelcare, but setting up one of those home cameras in each room that sync to a cell phone app?  
    Like dropcam by nest. We already have a few for home security and plan to use them for the nursery too 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • rae1-3 said:
    Xath said:

Like dropcam by nest. We already have a few for home security and plan to use them for the nursery too 
    this is what we do. Angelcare (maybe snuza this time) plus Foscam that we can check from phone/ iPad. We still use the Foscam with the 3/5 year olds so it lasts us a long time. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @hyperangel_8509 We started with a Baby Optic video monitor but have had issues with it. We bought a Nest cam for dd's room and plan on buying another for ds's room. We still use both daily, but only the baby optics one overnight b/c it turns on much quicker than getting on the nest app on my phone. 
  • Does anyone have any experience with the Lollypop monitor/camera? It attaches to the crib, and you can use your phone for the rest of it. Would love to know if anyone is considering it or has used it. 
  • Question for STM+....have any of you used more than one kind of monitor in baby's room?

You could use something like a snuza or owlet and a regular video monitor.  
  • I am definitely purchasing a travel system. I have the britax bagile/b safe 35 infant seat system on my registry right now.... I am second guessing now and looking into the chicco bravo travel system. I want a TS that's under $500 total.... I want lightweight!! That's originally why I picked britax bc of the stroller being only 16 pounds, but I've heard the car seat is heavy and narrow! Any suggestions on travel systems?
  • @hyperangel_8509 I used the Motorola video and then the snuza which clips on to the diaper for breathing movement. I'm not sure if the angel care would interfere or not but I really liked the snuza. Even worked when my daughter slept on her stomach. Although once she was moving all over the crib, we got a couple false alarms.
  • I don't suppose anyone has tried the owlet yet? Anyone planning to?
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • @sdang1 I have the Britax B-Safe and I don't think it's too bad, weight-wise, especially if you get one of those little arm pillows so you can carry it in the crook of your arm.

I'm sure the Chicco is great too, just my $.02!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @GlitterFish we used the owlet with DS and I have nothing but great things to say.  Never had a false alarm and it was so reassuring to just look at my phone and see his stats.  
  • abmommy15 said:
    @GlitterFish we used the owlet with DS and I have nothing but great things to say.  Never had a false alarm and it was so reassuring to just look at my phone and see his stats.  
    Oh I didn't even realize it was an app! That seems ideal since DH works overnights, if he wanted to check. 
    Does it only monitor vitals or is there an alert when the baby wakes up?  
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • No alert when baby wakes up but an alarm goes off if they stop breathing.  It doesn't replace an audio or video monitor it only alerts you if something is wrong. *TW I was ultra paranoid about SIDS so the owlet let me sleep peacefully **end TW 
  • Thanks, ladies!!! I have a friend that used the Snuza and she liked it. I'll look into the Snuza and the Owlet :D You guys rock! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @hyperangel_8509 we used the snuza and loved it until DS started moving around a ton and got close to rolling over.  Once that happens it can get loose and cause false alarms so we then got an owlet.  
  • Has anyone ever used the DockATot? Its one of those trendy baby items on Instagram, and I have a few friends that swear by it. Does anyone here have experience with it? 
  • acstec1acstec1 member
    @kat0607 I got the Grand (larger size) dockatot for my daughter when she was 9 months old because she was having a terrible sleep regression. I hadn't really heard of it before and so I hadn't gotten the smaller size because she would've grown out of it in a couple months. But I really recommend it! She sleeps in her Grand so well. We actually have transitoned it to her new big girl full size bed and she sleeps through the night at 21 months. I already bought the deluxe size for the new baby as we had such success with the Grand. I will say she did still have small sleep regressions but the dockatot helped a ton! It is really useful on vacation as well because the baby has the "comforts of home." We actually didn't need to bring the PnP on vacation when she turned 11 months, because she would nap and sleep in her docatot overnight with no issues. 

@abmommy15 that was our issue with the snuza too. When she started moving too much (around 9 months), it would cause false alarms. When eventually stopped using it around 10-11 months. 

Another item I suggest is the Milksnob milkcover and infant car seat cover! You can also use it for grocery carts or high chairs in restaurants. They have so many prints and the material is very breathable, so it works for breast feeding very well. This week they are having a special 25%, I believe. I have bought this gift for many friends and the they love it! 
  • kat0607 said:
    Has anyone ever used the DockATot? Its one of those trendy baby items on Instagram, and I have a few friends that swear by it. Does anyone here have experience with it? 
    I still have the same question! Why is it better than those snuggle nest things that are like $50??

The sleep class I went to did recommend it, but I don't understand how it's worth $200+...
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @GlitterFish It's not worth the $200+ in my opinion. I know and understand every child is different and it has worked for parents who have had children in the era where the market is so over saturated with expensive devices that promise to make things easier/better. But to each their own and if the dockatot has made someone's  life with baby better than I guess for them it was worth every penny. No judgement. 

Psst...little secret....using a muslin blanket over some pillows often works the same. ;) 
  • kat0607kat0607 member
    @acstec1 wow, good to hear you've had success with it as well!! I'm with @GlitterFish on price though...if it were cheaper I'd buy it in a heartbeat!! We are already going to have a bassinet and probably a swing (and a rock n play), it's hard to dish out the cash for another item. Thanks for the input everyone!
  • You can also look up how to DIY a sort of DockATot on Pinterest. There are some pretty simple ones on there. Which is pretty much what I'm doing.
     @kat0607 I also wish the price wasn't so out there. The concept is great, it's what so many have done before. Now there's just an actual product for it. With all the above items you listed already, adding a couple hundred dollars to the many baby items we will already have is hard to do. 
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    I saw rave reviews about the boppy newborn lounger which seems to serve the same purpose as the dock a tot... it looks really cute aswell and it's only 30 dollars. Any thoughts on that?
  • BusyZee said:
    I saw rave reviews about the boppy newborn lounger which seems to serve the same purpose as the dock a tot... it looks really cute aswell and it's only 30 dollars. Any thoughts on that?
    I think the lounger is not designed to be a sleeping surface really. I don't really understand the difference, since the dockatot is also not "approved for crib use" but that seems to be the stated difference. Supposedly baby can still breathe through the sides of the dockatot. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• fioripfiorip member
    I'm with team overpriced on the dockatot, we already bought a travel crib, my sister in law gave us her bassinet and received a rock and play as a gift. I have friends who can't stop raving about it but to me is a huge splurge. 
    I'm 29, husband is 30
    Together since 2006
    Married 01.17.15  <3

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• kat0607kat0607 member
    That thing looks like a suffocation hazard to me.
    I considered that part of it too, but I was under the impression that the baby should need to be supervised the entire time they're in it. I know some people use it in the crib but I definitely wouldn't want to leave the baby unattended, as I can definitely see the suffocation risk. 
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    Im probably not going to buy a bouncer for now or a swing and just get the boppy lounger... and then later buy a pack and play. The dock a tot to me looks more suffocating than the lounger. 
  • kat0607 said:
    That thing looks like a suffocation hazard to me.
    I considered that part of it too, but I was under the impression that the baby should need to be supervised the entire time they're in it. I know some people use it in the crib but I definitely wouldn't want to leave the baby unattended, as I can definitely see the suffocation risk. 
    I could see that.  I was getting the impression people wanted it for sleeping in, which seems really unsafe.
  • Someone near is selling the DockaTot Grand for $150 on Facebook.  Trying to figure out if I should pull the trigger.  Is it worth it at that price?
  • @Twinkiedoll still seems pretty pricey. It's just a tough call because you don't know if this LO will even need something like that! I guess, as with all baby products, you just have to figure out what's best for your LO. When DS was tiny, the mammaroo rocker was brand new and SUPER spendy. Everyone raved about it so before he even came, I bought one. He hated that damn thing and I sold it on Craigslist a few months later. You just never know!
  • acstec1acstec1 member
    I don't think the dockatot is a necessity at all and I'm sure it doesn't work well for some children. We certainly made it almost 10 months without having it, but it was really nice for naps and vacations and then later on when she went to her toddler bed at 18months, she slept through the night. I can't really speak to the other brands as I haven't looked into them too much. I know dockatot has completely breathable material and the website goes through a lot of questions parents have on the website. It's definitely more of a splurge and not a necessity. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting it in a crib when baby was young, but I do know several people who do use it in the crib overnight. 
  • FTM so take my advice with a grain of salt, but we just got a snuggle nest for our shower (off our registry) and I love it. I will say that at the moment the mattress fits slightly weird, so I'm kind of worried about any serious sleeping in there, but I think that might just be from packaging. I have it for somewhere to put the baby when we're out if needed (convertible crib only) and to put him down on the couch in the beginning if needed. It seems perfect for that, and it's lightweight and folds up nicely, and even has a handle on it. It was only maybe $35 on Amazon? Definitely not more than $50 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • I need to do something about sleeping more comfortably, so which would you choose, if either? I didn't really want to give up my head pillow, but it may be worth it at this point, plus I'm going to be in hotels a bunch the next 2 weeks...

Pregnancy Ticker

• @glitterfish - I have the snoogle (second pic) and honestly, some nights I love it and some nights I hate it. I switch on and off between using it and not using it. When I do use it, I actually tend to use it opposite of that picture because I like the back support. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • rae1-3 said:
    @glitterfish - I have the snoogle (second pic) and honestly, some nights I love it and some nights I hate it. I switch on and off between using it and not using it. When I do use it, I actually tend to use it opposite of that picture because I like the back support. 
    Can you believe that price has gone down $5 since I took the screenshot??
    The back support is why I think I need something now because I have a pillow in the middle of the bed to lean back on, but nothing at the edge for when I flip over... Plus baby objects to the extra pillows near him :-P I wonder if the curl in front of my face would be annoying though?
    Pregnancy Ticker