May 2017 Moms

Home Birth/Birth Center Check In - 04/26/17

MollyandDMollyandD member
edited April 2017 in May 2017 Moms
I tried to do a search to see who/how many women made the choice to birth outside of a hospital, but I couldn't search only our birth month board. Maybe it's the Bump, maybe it's my iPad. I don't know. 

Anyway, I know many women here have said they are planning an out of hospital birth, or some are planning births in birth centers attached to hospitals. I'd like to see how many of you are still around, and if any of you have changed your plans for personal or medical reasons. 

Are you still planning an out of hospital birth? Why/why not?

How far along are you?

Who will attend your birth?

What attracted you to this kind of birth?

Rants/raves 

Re: Home Birth/Birth Center Check In - 04/26/17

• Loading the player...
  • SKZWSKZW member
    @sarah0985: when I read your comment about not having the chance to meet the midwives first, my brain flashed on: "oh, midwife speed dating! that's what she needs when labor starts!"  ;)
  • @sarah0985 I wish Oklahoma had more birth center within hospital options. If we even had a hospital that allowed water birth, I wouldn't be doing this at home, but my state is so behind the times when it comes to options. Most women are expected to go to the hospital, get the epidural, use drugs to speed up labor, and be happy with it. That's just not for me. 

@MiaQuiche84 I had to wait on results of my 3rd trimester ultrasound to make sure my birth plan could carry on. Do you have reason to believe your strep test will be positive? I hope everything works in your favor!
  • MiaQuiche84MiaQuiche84 member
    edited April 2017
    @MollyandD I don't really have a reason to believe it's positive, I'm just a worrier  :) I've been doing a regimen of probiotics, garlic supplements and Vitamin C to help my chances. Thanks for your kind words!
  • I'm not planning a home birth- but if anyone is and wants to hear some amazing birth stories- there is a podcast called the birth hour with lots of real stories!
  • @hansolosparka thanks for the suggestion!
  • kat81kat81 member
    Are you still planning an out of hospital birth? Why/why not?
    Yes, though with being GBS+ I am opting to be transferred to the hospital following the birth.

How far along are you?
    38 weeks

Who will attend your birth?
    DH only, probably, though I'm open to my in-laws coming if they wanted to, and now my parents will actually possibly be in town when I'm in labor, so I'm fine with that, as long as someone is watching the kids! My parents were there for #1 and it went fine (well, actually).

What attracted you to this kind of birth?
    I have had OB prenatal care & delivery and Midwife prenatal care & delivery. The second was MUUUUCH better all around. For this one, having a midwife practice was a top priority. Nearby location was probably the even higher priority, mainly for prenatal convenience. The place that ended up taking my insurance and being nearby with midwife care was a birth center. I was 100% fine with the hospital (and kind of preferred it -- that's what I did the other times) but I figured I could do a birth center to get the other factors I wanted and because I have had two good/normal deliveries twice before. So I am this weird case who is not gung ho about being anti-hospital or anything, but I'm still on board with using a birth center. I'd be way too scared to do it at home, though!

Rants/raves -
    N/A at this time

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Are you still planning an out of hospital birth? Why/why not? We have planned for a birth center birth fro the beginning. I had gestational diabetes, but as long as it remains controlled it's a non-issue-- so far, so good. I've also been having uterine irritability with some contractions this week, so I need to make it to 37 weeks to deliver at the birth center. The birth center is midwife-run only, no OB attending in the building. They do not even have pain medication/epidural interventions. The rooms look like a hotel room and it's very non-medicalized. Granted, they are right next door to a major hospital with direct admit rights, so if something went wrong it'd be practically the same as going from the ED to L&D/OR. If I have to deliver in the hospital, they an still be there and catch the baby.

How far along are you? 35.6

Who will attend your birth? DH and I, 1-2 midwives, a nurse. We are foregoing a birth doula (and getting a postpartum doula) because I feel like the midwives and the birth center model match my birth plan enough to not have a doula there advocating. DH really liked the idea of keeping it "just us", as it's our last big thing just the two of us, and this whole thing has been our journey, it's nice to finish it just the two of us. It feels very magical that it'll be just us and our tiny "village" (midwives) while I labor, and then when our baby enters the world. It's been somewhat rocky with infertility, so having DH there is all I need.

What attracted you to this kind of birth? I am an ER nurse and work in a very medicalized field. I, personally, am a low-medicine/intervention kind of person, and knew I wanted that for the birth. We watched videos of home births, water births, and birth center births, and DH and I both became a little obsessed in the beginning. It was like it clicked like puzzle pieces, and once we knew that was an option for us, I felt so much better about being pregnant and giving birth.

Rants/raves - Like @MollyandD mentioned, mostly my rant is the push back from other people. We leave the birth center 4-6 hours after birth, and this seems to be ludicrous to everyone. Also, working in a hospital, all of my coworkers ask questions like I'm an alien, and I have one coworker/friend who used to work in the NICU trying to convince me otherwise for a while. I get they are positively-intentioned, but it's not supportive. Other rant: I like the midwives a lot, but because I have had medical issues come up (GD, bad nausea/vomiting, the flu) it's been a little difficult at times to get a hold of someone for medical advice. If this pregnancy was easy (does that ever happen?) and I was 100% healthy through it I don't think this would have been an issue.

Great thread!

• @MollyandD I'm glad your placenta moved so you can have the birth you want. I hear you on people acting like you haven't put thought into the safety of a home birth.
    @sarah0985 What country are you in? I like that it's the norm. I feel like we're still treated like we're asking for something crazy when we want a home birth/birth center birth in the US. I bet it's unnerving to not meet the midwives, though.
    @chailife34 Your birth for DD is a beautiful, inspiring story. I wish I could be so lucky to experience something like that, how truly magical. I'm sorry it wasn't that way with Isaac.
    @kat81 What's the draw for midwifery vs. the apathy about a birth center? (I'm wondering what inspired you to consider a midwife practice as top priority, but you didn't need a birth center as part of your plan.) And how does the transfer to the hospital for antibiotics work? Do you deliver then immediately get transferred, or do you deliver, and then in a couple hours go to mother/baby and stay in the hospital like you would if you'd delivered there (24+ hours)? I'm curious. :)
  • kat81kat81 member
    edited April 2017
    @jayandaplus --
    In my experience, OBs are prone to more c-sections, less bedside manner, and quite frankly less knowledge of certain pregnancy things! I had SPD with each pregnancy and I had to self-diagnose it with #1 and then tell the OBs what I had and they were like, "sure, ok, that makes sense" and they never had any advice for it. And before we had figured that out, I had exacerbated it in the process because I didn't know any better. So the prenatal care quite "meh" with the OB practice I had. Then at delivery the guy I had was quite condescending and very uncommunicative. They almost had to do a vacuum suction because they hadn't TOLD me to push (I had an epidural at the last minute and they had said I could "take a break" and NOT push at 10 cm if I wanted.) They also gave me an episiotomy that I didn't want. Overall the delivery actually went quite well but it was in SPITE of the doctor.

When I switched to a midwife practice (we moved so I had more/different options), it was run out of the hospital. I liked the safety / backup of a hospital in case something bad happened but loved the prenatal care and delivery with a midwife as opposed to an OB. I also got to have a water birth! I didn't really have anything against having the epidural the previous time, but it was nice to go med-free because it is less risky vis-a-vis spinal headaches, etc. They also immediately knew everything about SPD when I raised it and had specific suggestions for it. The midwives this time were also the same way.

So my ideal situation would probably be what I did last time. One stark difference between a birth center and a hospital is that they kick you out of the birth center in 4-12 hours and the hospital has you stay longer. I LIKE staying longer, being pampered, having help with breastfeeding, access to the hospital pump, etc. I was not looking forward to going home right away after the birth center. Then they said that the CDC recommends going to a hospital for monitoring the baby when you are GBS positive anyway, so I'll deliver at the birth center and then go to the hospital. What I haven't found out yet is whether they will treat me like someone who delivered there (i.e. will the mom get any pampering/food/lactation consultants/etc or will it be JUST monitoring for the baby and I'll be there as a food source for the baby who gets no "care"?)

I will be getting the antibiotics during delivery at the birth center. So the only need for the hospital is just to make sure the baby is ok, and it's optional. The birth center would have let me go, but they did say CDC recommends observation for 48 hrs.

ETA: I don't mean to be so rude about OBs. I in fact know some who are just as great as midwives with regard to all of the bedside manner stuff, not doing so many c-sections, etc. But because that was my experience before and the general focus of OB vs. midwife is different, midwifery made more sense to me unless I had had time to thoroughly research all of my options in the area.

• @bacorrea thank you for your support. I also understand why this isn't what you chose for yourself. I don't recommend home birth, birth center birth, or medication-free birth for anyone who doesn't truly want it. I support women having the choice to do what is the best fit for them. I'm glad you were able to find your best fit while still supporting those who made a different decisions.
  • SKZWSKZW member
    [...]
    What I haven't found out yet is whether they will treat me like someone who delivered there (i.e. will the mom get any pampering/food/lactation consultants/etc or will it be JUST monitoring for the baby and I'll be there as a food source for the baby who gets no "care"?)

I will be getting the antibiotics during delivery at the birth center. So the only need for the hospital is just to make sure the baby is ok, and it's optional. The birth center would have let me go, but they did say CDC recommends observation for 48 hrs.
    [...]
    @kat81: My question would be: when they send your baby to the hospital for monitoring, is it an official transfer, with you both in an ambulance, because then (my guess is) you'd be admitted, have a room, room-in together, both get the follow-up care, like you said, as if you had just delivered there. OR, would you be officially discharged from the birth center, drive yourself to the hosp, and then baby is the one and only who's admitted at that point? And kept solely in the nursey? That'd be my question, like, curious as to how you get there, first of all... and I'd def call and ask the hospital maternity pp/recovery folks how exactly they handle people in those situations.
  • OK this might be a strange question but for those who have had or are having a water birth who cleans up the pool afterwards? I couldn't imagine doing it post delivery. 
  • SWE2 said:
    OK this might be a strange question but for those who have had or are having a water birth who cleans up the pool afterwards? I couldn't imagine doing it post delivery. 
    Not strange at all to ask this. My midwife provides the pool, and I bought a liner. The midwife will help us drain the pool using a water hose, which we are buying brand new to avoid anything dirty from outside. Once it's drained. My husband will take the liner and throw away anything left at the bottom of the pool. It's pretty simple. Our midwife will do any additional disinfecting, and then she will take the pool with her. 
  • kat81kat81 member
    SKZW said:
    [...]
    What I haven't found out yet is whether they will treat me like someone who delivered there (i.e. will the mom get any pampering/food/lactation consultants/etc or will it be JUST monitoring for the baby and I'll be there as a food source for the baby who gets no "care"?)

[...]
    @kat81: My question would be: when they send your baby to the hospital for monitoring, is it an official transfer, with you both in an ambulance, because then (my guess is) you'd be admitted, have a room, room-in together, both get the follow-up care, like you said, as if you had just delivered there. OR, would you be officially discharged from the birth center, drive yourself to the hosp, and then baby is the one and only who's admitted at that point? And kept solely in the nursey? That'd be my question, like, curious as to how you get there, first of all... and I'd def call and ask the hospital maternity pp/recovery folks how exactly they handle people in those situations.
    yes this is what I need to ask. I think we drive ourselves over there but we might still be officially admitted, both of us. They said that if you get admitted during delivery (i.e. unforseen complication) that's how it is. There is no ambulance or anything, you just drive yourself over with the midwife, who comes along and has admitting privileges, and then you finish up there and continue on there as though you had been there all along. My case is different (if there is no complication) because I will give birth FIRST and then go over. But probably in our car. It is across the street, fwiw, but still a "drive" presumably because mom and baby are both fragile and whatnot.

• kat81kat81 member
    edited April 2017
    SWE2 said:
    OK this might be a strange question but for those who have had or are having a water birth who cleans up the pool afterwards? I couldn't imagine doing it post delivery. 
    When I had one at a hospital it was some hospital person...who knows? Not my problem. Same with the birth center -- it would be birth center staff of some kind, though we're not actually supposed to do water births at this place. You can labor in water but then you are supposed to deliver out of the tub (too bad). If I were to birth at home--which I would probably never do on purpose--that task would definitely be delegated to someone else!

Strangely enough, when I had my water birth, there was little to no gore in the tub. I expected the water to immediately be discolored, gross, etc, but as far as I remember it was still pretty clear! (It was also sort of dark and the middle of the night, but I do believe this was the case and DH thinks so too.) I didn't deliver the placenta until I came out, so I'm sure there was more gore to come. My water broke, with some blood, BEFORE I went in the tub. So it could just be because I was in there for a very short time--about 15 min--that no much was in there. But the delivery of the baby herself didn't cause a bunch of other junk to gunk up the water. I imagine it was quite easy to clean! I feel like it was cleaner than a "oops I put my kid in the tub when he didn't really wipe after pooping" problem I've had before! haha

ETA: I just google image search water births and I think that my experience is not uncommon. Some of them look super messy but others look very clean.

• @kat81 Thank you for sharing your experiences. It sounds like what you're doing is the best of all worlds. I'm glad you were able to find a good midwifery practice with a hospital. I'd echo what @SKZW said about going to the hospital and you being admitted or not.
  • Ooh can I play?  I'm planning on helping my EMT friend earn her stork pin.  That counts, right?

I live 2.5 hours from the hospital and have historically short births (4 and 5 hours from first contraction to baby being born) so, you know, I figured I'd plan for the worst.  We are planning an ambulance transfer already.  And I'm told all EMTs secretly hope to earn their stork pins.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.