May 2017 Moms

Re: UO 4/27

• Hmm I wish our govt could get it together. I don't think govt shutdowns should be the answer, ever. I say this regardless of party. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't like Jimmy John's. Now, I don't like deli meat which means either their tuna or italian has to kick butt and well, I just dont think it does. They're better than Subway, but Firehouse is my favorite or Which wich.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot and @kayemjay2 YES! I wanted to say this but wasn't sure how to word it and you both put it so perfectly. Thank you!
  • I remember! So along those same lines...

I disagree with planned inductions before 40 weeks, UNLESS there's a medical issue (we've had a few here!). My Dr. will only let me go a week past my due date and I am grateful for that. I know a lot of people would argue I should be allowed to further beyond that, but I feel at a certain point it's just so much safer to have baby on the outside.

I used to be in that camp until I became someone with a scheduled cesarean at 39w1d this time. I logically can't wrap my head around how that is a backup plan when I want a TOLAC but apparently there is a lot of research and evidence that suggests it is safer to do a repeat cesarean, if needed, before 40w. 

So I guess my point is I didn't go to medical school and there is a lot I don't know so while some things seem counterintuitive to me I have to at some point trust my provider. Maybe my UO is that I think the "let baby bake as long as possible" thing is overblown. There is a lot more nuance than that philosophy allows. 

May '17 labor memes
  • I remember! So along those same lines...

I disagree with planned inductions before 40 weeks, UNLESS there's a medical issue (we've had a few here!). My Dr. will only let me go a week past my due date and I am grateful for that. I know a lot of people would argue I should be allowed to further beyond that, but I feel at a certain point it's just so much safer to have baby on the outside.

I used to be in that camp until I became someone with a scheduled cesarean at 39w1d this time. I logically can't wrap my head around how that is a backup plan when I want a TOLAC but apparently there is a lot of research and evidence that suggests it is safer to do a repeat cesarean, if needed, before 40w. 

So I guess my point is I didn't go to medical school and there is a lot I don't know so while some things seem counterintuitive to me I have to at some point trust my provider. Maybe my UO is that I think the "let baby bake as long as possible" thing is overblown. There is a lot more nuance than that philosophy allows. 
    I got confused. You agree with me that beyond 40 weeks (unless a medical issue, which I would consider yours) letting the baby bake is overblown?
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @nda_roxybabe nevermind, my reading comprehension is out the window these days. 

Yeah I think we are on the same page. I totally misread that as... god I don't even know. How am I allowed to drive a car these day? Sheeh. 
    LOL! I think we're on the same page too. "let the baby bake as long as possible" is overblow. Sometimes getting the baby out earlier is best. Yes? :P
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • I think all caramel should be thrown in the garbage where it belongs. Why do my opinions always involve food?
  • absbubbs said:
    I think all caramel should be thrown in the garbage where it belongs. Why do my opinions always involve food?
    Caramel flavoring, yes throw it out. Real caramel, no.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • kat81kat81 member
    Damnit I had a good one yesterday.... and didn't write it down. I'll think of it and be back, I'm sure!! 

ETA: Literally as soon as I hit post, I remembered: I think third trimester is easier/better than first tri. I didn't even throw up in first tri but now I have the excitement of actually meeting her to get me through plus I mostly love all the movements on the inside. AND people know why I'm miserable instead of it being a big secret!
    For me it has depended on the pregnancy because I always get SPD and this is a huge horrible shitshow in 3rd tri, but overall I'd say I agree! Especially when I factor in this pregnancy, because my SPD has somehow been really not that bad! And I apparently look healthy so not only is it no secret as to what I'm going through, I have people saying, "you look GREAT" left and right, definitely unlike last time when I gained 50+ lbs, haha

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• kat81kat81 member
    kayemjay2 said:
    @nda_roxybabe - I also dislike Jimmy John's and am always given a hard time about it. I'm really particular about meat (don't like JJ or Subway meat), so usually get a veggie or veggie patty at Subway. Which Which or Potbelly are much, much better.

My UO: I don't think men going out of their way (ie running ahead or going around to the other side of the car) to open the door for women is "chivalrous" - especially when these men refuse to hold the door open for other men. Just hold doors for other humans who are walking in behind you, no matter what kind of genitals they have. Selectively doing so for women = basically implying they are weaker in some way. It makes me uncomfortable.
    YES I hate when men go around to open the door for me. Not that this really happens. Though the other day I requested DH to do it because our driveway is a bit on a hill and the door doesn't stay open. Getting out pregnant is kind of hard these days! So when I had him along it was awesome to have his help. But for 99% of my life no I don't want someone else getting me out of my car....

• Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • In regards to homebirth jim gaffigan has a stand up bit about it. He has 6 kids all born at home "because hospitals are where sick people go" anyway it was interesting hearing his pov but so not my thing. I wish I could have a water birth at the hospital not just labor in the water but that's not offered so whatever lol