August 2017 Moms
Options

GTKY: Your Biggest Fear

2»

Re: GTKY: Your Biggest Fear

• Options
    LSP87LSP87 member
    My biggest fear is probably someone trying to take my child or hurt my child. I have to check doors, windows, under the bed, in closets a few times at night. I have had nightmares of being kidnapped/attacked since I was a small child. As my pregnancy progresses, so does the anxiety. I'm not looking forward to the hormone crash that follows birth as that was when these feelings were at their strongest.

My biggest irrational fear is probably of pretty much anything in costume. I especially hate clowns. Something about not being able to see their true expression underneath the face paint just freaks me out.
  • Options
    kvh22kvh22 member
    @taylormarie923 & @mrsmatt1212 - yes! Bees/wasps/hornets. Mine is irrational because I completely freak out and have hurt myself more running from a bee than the actual sting would have been.

My slightly more rational one is drowning. I grew up around lakes, took some swim lessons early on, but I'm still not the strongest swimmer. DH is a swimmer which is reassuring when we're out in the ocean but also shows me I'm not as good as I could be. I don't let it keep me from doing anything except I don't know that I'll ever SCUBA dive. We love to snorkel but the sensation still kind of freaks me out.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't even know which of my fears are rational and which are irrational.

I am with @brookedeyo and @dma0389 on the dark.  I realized at some point in my 20's I would never out grow it and find it much easier to deal with now.

@SpotConlon I don't mind the animals in the water but the plants and algae freak me out.  It gives me chills just to think about it.  It is high on my list.

@HappyToBeHere I have a big fear of death. I didn't even realize it was a legitimate fear until  This American Life (I think) did a story on fears and that was one of them.  It made me feel so much more normal.  I don't even let myself think about it anymore and that helps a lot.

Every time I walk down steep stairs it scared me a little.  Spider are also a big one as I get older I can deal with them better but I don't think I am less scarred.  I have seen DH jump and scream when someone walked by us with a snake so it makes me feel better about all mine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have an ongoing nightmare with a tsunami that I actually haven't had in a while. Irrational fear is being stranded in the middle of the ocean....I don't like that dark water under me and not knowing what's there...which is obviously hungry sharks and creatures that will hunt me. 

Since having children the fear of not being able to get to them, someone breaking into our house, and just in general not being able to save them from something...anything horrible. 

Plus all the new crazy drugs scare me...both my husband and I were pretty wild before kids so I know our kids will like to have fun..which now scares me. 
  • Options
    Another +1 for the normal fear of bees/wasps/hornets. I'm always on the lookout for wasp nests around our house. When it was randomly warm in Feb I got chased by a bee. I'm trying to be calmer around them with DD but cannot just sit there and wait for it to go away. 

I also have the irrational fear of something happening to my kids. I told DH he will be in charge of getting them from daycare if there's a natural disaster like a tornado because I work about half an hour away with a bridge/river between us. 
    When there's a backup of traffic on the bridge I think about it collapsing and wonder if I should open my windows as the car is careening down or not. 
  • Options
    @LSP87 your costume fear reminds me of my fear of anything on stilts. I can't even look at people on stilts!
  • Options
    Another irrational one for me is dragonflies. Also helicopters because they are the mechanical equivalent of a dragonfly. Just unnatural and it freaks me out 
  • Options
    LSP87LSP87 member
    @SpotConlon I watched too much x-files too. I will never forget the episode of those creepy white aliens with the teeth that hid out in the port-a-potty and went to live in the sewer! I ALWAYS check the toilet and will never use a port-a-potty EVER.
  • Options
    @mrsmatt1212
    Omg yes about the revolving doors! I have a fear of getting trapped inside of them! DH thinks I'm nuts so I'm glad I'm not the only one with this fear!

+1 for escalators too. I'm not totally afraid of them, but I definitely leap off of them in fear of getting my foot stuck. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I let DS get stung by a bee once because I was frozen in fear and didn't react to it quickly enough. Only for him would I swat a bee away with my bare hands. I don't think it fully got its stinger in and I pulled it out as soon as the bee was gone.  He barely cried, but I felt awful because I just stared at the bee on his head unable to move. 
  • Options
    Regular life- getting trapped somewhere. Cave, underwater, crumbled building, even elevator. 

Preggo life- stillbirth. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @DeansGirl14 I can't even with the preggo life fear-I feel like that is the one thought we all try to keep out of the back of our heads as much as possible. People say 'as soon as your baby is here you will never stop worrying' Nope, I started that the moment the stick read 'pregnant'...
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    Oh I just thought of another irrational fear- that anything and everything in my home could catch fire. I'm always turning off the cable box manually (because the remote doesn't... odd) and DH never does. Well, the cable box generates heat and it's in an entertainment unit so what if something overheats?
    I've never left a crockpot on the whole day while gone. HVAC sound funny? Is it going to catch fire? Odd sound from the fridge- is it going to catch fire? Don't charge anything longer than when it meets its fully charged point, as it may catch fire...
    Someone mentioned Rescue 911 and yeah I think that show scarred me for life. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm scared of someone, especially children, choking in front of me. It's really hard for me to watch some foods that toddlers are given, because sometimes they really are choking hazards but other times I'm just overly anxious about it.
  • Options
    My biggest fear is death and the unknown.  I'd like to believe that there's something beyond death, but not knowing and the finality of it all scares me.  I try not to think about it because it will keep me up at night and upset me.

I hate spiders and have a hard time killing them with anything other than a shoe.  I tend to run away and/or freak out if I see a larger one.  I also fear bees and sharks.  I used to have nightmares that a shark either attacked me or my family.  I blame Jaws for that.  I also don't like to go out too far into the ocean because I'm afraid a wave or current will sweep me away.  DH is a swimmer, but it always makes me nervous to see him swimming in the ocean.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Loving this thread as I realize I am not as nuts as my husband thinks.  Not a big fan of spring...Ahem...Bug season.  

Fairly proud of myself for killing a few spiders this week.  Hairspray + thick book= wonders.  I oy missed one and it crawled on furniture so I vacuumed it up.  

As for TV giving me unrealistic fears Stephen King's "IT" really messed with my head.  Still can't sleep w/o looking at bathroom drains.  
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker