3rd Trimester

Mucus plug loss and water breaking

with my first, I lost my mucus plug (it was VERY noticeable) and my water broke 5 days later. Contractions started within an hour of my water breaking. This was at 37 weeks.
 I am currently 36 weeks with my second and I wondered if you have to lose your mucus plug before your water can break. I have been pretty obsessive/consistent with checking for it when I use the rr so I don't think I would have missed it. Just wondering what yalls experiences have been!!

Re: Mucus plug loss and water breaking

• agjess09 said:
    with my first, I lost my mucus plug (it was VERY noticeable) and my water broke 5 days later. Contractions started within an hour of my water breaking. This was at 37 weeks.
     I am currently 36 weeks with my second and I wondered if you have to lose your mucus plug before your water can break. I have been pretty obsessive/consistent with checking for it when I use the rr so I don't think I would have missed it. Just wondering what yalls experiences have been!!

I started contractions for several house and only lost my mucus plug once I was already in the hospital. My water broke several hours later. I don't think that it has to happen before, but I think typically it does.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I think you'd have to lose you plug either before or during the water breaking so that the water can escape?  Wouldn't it be trapped in there otherwise?

That being said, I lost my plug a little at a time over several days, so I was never truly sure when it was gone.  It's not always super noticeable.  I just had a lot of mucous like discharge when I wiped for a few days before contractions started.  SILs labor started with her water breaking and she lost her plug at the same time.  It can also regenerate, so if you start losing it it doesn't necessarily mean it's gone and you're about to go into labor.
  • Loading the player...
  • delujm0 said:
    I think you'd have to lose you plug either before or during the water breaking so that the water can escape?  Wouldn't it be trapped in there otherwise?

That being said, I lost my plug a little at a time over several days, so I was never truly sure when it was gone.  It's not always super noticeable.  I just had a lot of mucous like discharge when I wiped for a few days before contractions started.  SILs labor started with her water breaking and she lost her plug at the same time.  It can also regenerate, so if you start losing it it doesn't necessarily mean it's gone and you're about to go into labor.
    Everything she said.

I was in labor (contractions 10 mins a part) for 24 hours before I lost my mucus plug whole in the shower. Water was broken by the OB in hospital about 12 hours after that. If your water does break and you haven't lost your mucus plug yet, it will be pushed out by your amniotic fluid.

Me: 31
         DH: 34
    Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
    LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
    LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

• I don't remember losing my mucous plug with my first, my water broke spontaneously with her. With DS and DD2 I lost it slowly for weeks.
                                          Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
                                                                     Formerly ChoicesMom
                                                                         "Squishy" 2007
                                                           "Lyric" EDD Nov/4/11 - c/p Feb/11
                                                                            "Fishy" 2012
                                                                            "Bean" 2014
                                                             "Lux" EDD Apr/21/17 - c/p Aug/16
                                                       "Kokonah" EDD May/24/17 - m/c Oct/16
                                1 surprise - 1 Noonie - 1 preemie - 3 gone but not forgotten - One more on the way!!
                                                          Grab bag of mental health disorders
                                                                              Pancolitis