Pregnant after 35

Anyone else RH negative?

Just got my blood work back today and while everything looks pretty great, it turns out I have A- blood type and RH negative factor. It's actually something I was anticipating so I've read a lot about it. However my OBGYN says my husband doesn't need to be tested. I might get a second opinion on this. I have to switch doctors anyway, and I imagine they'll want to test him. Wouldn't his result determine whether I need Rhogam? This is my first pregnancy, and as I understand it, if my blood hasn't been exposed to any RH positive factor, any risk is relatively low. Anybody else have any experiences with RH issues?
Married: 2011
TTC #1: 3/2016
Me 39 - DH 44
BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
DD born 2/3/17

Re: Anyone else RH negative?

• I'm Rh negative. My dr wanted my husband to get tested, but he hates needles, so he won't do it. Only 15% of the population is Rh negative so he is probably positive. I've been getting the Rhogam shots. $60 co-pay each time, so DH better be positive! I've had two shots so far (one because of spotting) and I'll get one more after the baby is born if she is positive.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• VastraVastra member
    Thanks! Yeah, we have the opposite issue. H is more than willing to test, and I think it's weird that Dr. doesn't think it's necessary. But you're right, it's such a small number of us RH negative weirdos that the odds are he's positive. But I'd still like to know! That price is silly. 
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • Loading the player...
  • I too am A-. I had no idea until I got pregnant! I actually assumed I was A+ because my parents are both A+.  

I did not receive any Rhogam until 28 weeks nor did the OB insist that my DH get tested. She said it would be a good idea because it is statistically likely that he is Rh+.

I have not had any spotting or other issues that would indicate any fetal blood mixing, so I either assume that A) Baby also is Rh negative or B) they will need to give me another shot after labor and delivery.
  • I'm A- as well.  Due to losing one of mine this pregnancy, I had to have the Rhogam shot at 10 weeks.  I also have to get another at 28 weeks.  Husband has + type of blood, so we knew I needed the shot. Had I not lost one, I wouldn't have had to have the shot as a FTM.. The next time though, the shots would have been standard for me.
  • VastraVastra member
    @Piperella So sorry for your loss. Happy thoughts for your little fighter!
    @CarrieandRoy How many days after the spotting did they do your shot? I haven't had any spotting, but I can't find a clear answer as to the time frame.
    @lillebowski23 Any chance your H already knew his blood type? Mine thinks he can find out, but if he can't he'll get tested before I'm at 28 weeks. 
    Thanks ladies! This news sort of freaked me out but I'm feeling better between the answers here and what I've read in WTEWYE. 
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • I got the shot the same day the spotting started, but it was just a precaution. The dr actually asked me if I wanted it or not. After two losses, I was not about to take any chances.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• @Vastra he doesn't know his type and is dragging his heels getting that test and his TDAP. I am 36 weeks so I care less about his blood type as they will monitor me and give me Rhogam as needed. I'm more concerned about him getting vaccinated. He'll do it, but he'll wait until the 11th hour.
  • My DH won't get the blood test OR the TDAP. Hates needles. 
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• I'm O- and I my SO got a blood test to check and, of course, he's O+. I got the shot at 28 weeks and then will do it again around delivery. SO is dragging his feet on the tdap too so I told him he needs to get it soon or he won't be in the delivery room. He's getting it done next week. 
  • VastraVastra member
    Thanks ladies! Actually having the shot today, due to some possible spotting. Doctor wanted to be safe, which I appreciate. Unfortunately, my insurance refuses to cover it.
    (adding info for reference, should anyone else be searching for this) 
    My doctor's receptionist told me yesterday, after getting the runaround from my insurance company, that the Rhogam shot would cost over a thousand dollars. I called the insurance company myself, got more runaround, then finally just decided to suck it up. When I called the pharmacy to confirm that my Rhogam was ready to pick up, I asked for the cost and they said $175. Now THAT I will pay. Either the receptionist needs glasses, or the range can actually go that high. This stuff better be made of diamonds. 
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • Mine was about $2000, but the copay was $60.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• I am also RH-. Started out as a twin pregnancy but one lost a heartbeat at 7weeks. I am currently 17 weeks. My doctor didn't have me get the shot and said it was unnecessary at that point. And he hasn't ever brought the shot up again so not sure when I will need one. We are only having 1 child and either a vasectomy or tubal will be done so not sure I will have to get one or not. Totally will but my doctor hasn't really seemed concerned with it. Atleast not yet!
  • I am also RH-. Started out as a twin pregnancy but one lost a heartbeat at 7weeks. I am currently 17 weeks. My doctor didn't have me get the shot and said it was unnecessary at that point. And he hasn't ever brought the shot up again so not sure when I will need one. We are only having 1 child and either a vasectomy or tubal will be done so not sure I will have to get one or not. Totally will but my doctor hasn't really seemed concerned with it. Atleast not yet!
    So sorry for your loss. Glad the other twin is healthy! 
    Strange how some doctors are super hyper about it, and some are more relaxed. My medium-hyper doctor said that in Europe, they don't even give it after a mc, and they only give it before 28 weeks for significant uterine bleeding. It's likely you'll get it at 28 weeks as a precaution. 
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • I'm O- and Dh is positive.  I've gotten the shots during and after every pregnancy.  It's no big deal as long as they know.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I found I was  RH- at my 24 week appointment and I think I got the shot at about 28 weeks and I have to get another shot once the baby is born.  I think the doctor knew before this but I was  told at about 24 weeks.  From what I heard,  if this is your only/last pregnancy,  it is not as much of an issue. If the baby's blood mixes with mine,  I could build antibodies which could affect/harm the next pregnancy. That's how I understand it. DH did  not have to get tested,  unless they treated him for that when I was going through ivf.  I am not sure if the shot is necessary if you are not having any more children.  
  • edited April 2017
    Hi Ladies - also RH Negative here. Currently 8 weeks and Dr. hasn't mentioned getting my shot yet but i'm sure he will soon. My previous pregnancy last year sadly ended in miscarriage that started with an SCH, and I was given "the shot" at 4.5 weeks, due to the heavy bleeding. My mom was also RH Negative and I was pretty familiar with the protein earlier on in life so I wasn't surprised to find out I was too. 

Oh, and btw I'm 37 going on 38. 
  • I'm Rh- and my sperm donor is Rh+. This is my first (and probably only) pregnancy, but my physician is recommending Rhogam regardless. 

What's up with all the husbands out there refusing to get their blood drawn?! It seems like it's the least they could do considering what you all are going through! Things like this make me super glad I have a wife!
  • I am o-negative blood type this is my sixth child I always get the rhogam shot at 28 weeks and after birth
  • I'm b negative and my hubby is o positive. I'm currently 18 weeks and they said I'll get the shot at 28 weeks. I asked a lot of folks about it and they said they tolerated the shot really well  
  • Rh- here.  I've had 2 shots with every birth, one partway through and one after birth.  Even on a late term miscarrage.  On a first tri miscarriage,  no shot. Over the years i've had 4 different drs.  And 2 husbands. None of the drs.  Ever asked once what my dh's blood type was,  or to test it. I think it doesn't matter what the dh's blood is,  because you can still have an rh+ baby unless all of your ancestors have been rh- as well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • My husband and I are both O- but our RE said I would still need to get it because the baby could still be positive?! Doesn't make any sense to me but will ask my OB her opinion.
    Me: 37  DH: 37
    Dx: MFI: Low Morph, Low Mot, Very High ASAB (97%)
    TTC since 2017, Dx in 2019
    --delay due to DH working out of state + COVID--
    June 2020 - IVF cycle #1 w/ICSI & PGS: 12 ER, 12 M, 7 F, 3 Frozen (1 day 6 blast, 2 day 7blast), 2 Normal (1d6 XX, 1d7 XY)
    August 2020 - FET #1: 8/24 (6d XX) Beta #1: 240, Beta #2: 1565
  • im o- and it’s very simple. Rhogam shot and done. (Second pregnancy)
  • mybimbamybimba member
    Botn me and my husband amd both my babies are RH nev. I tefused the Rhogama and TDAP.