January 2016 Moms

Giving medicine

Hey guys. Any tips on giving LO medicine? Gina has a double ear infection and spits out her antibiotics. I was told to try mixing it with apple sauce or yogurt. Just in case that fails, anyone have anything else that may work? Just so I have a back up plan.  Thanks! 

Re: Giving medicine

• Is it amoxicillin? It tastes better if it's refrigerated, even though you don't have to for safety. 
    I don't have better suggestions. Our LO took Zantac from months 2-8, as well as gripe water now and then, so got used to it pretty quickly. I remember those early days, though. She used to spit it right back out if I didn't get the paci back in before that. I did discover that if I chased it with a bottle, that helped. Now she's really used to it. She is better if I let her hold the syringe while I push the plunger.
  • Yea it's amoxicillin. I have it in the refrigerator and it smells like bubble gum so I don't know what the issue is lol I'll try mixing it tonight with either apple sauce or yogurt. Hopefully that works! 
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO is on antibiotics too for ear infections, she is a beast. Spits it out and throws a fit. Bribed her with chocolate chips. Give one then she takes a little meds, wants more chocolate but refuses meds, give her 3 or 4 when she shoves them un her mouth I give the rest of meds. She gets pissed but doesn't spit it out because she doesn't want to slit out the chocolate chips...lol
  • My LO is on antibiotics too for ear infections, she is a beast. Spits it out and throws a fit. Bribed her with chocolate chips. Give one then she takes a little meds, wants more chocolate but refuses meds, give her 3 or 4 when she shoves them un her mouth I give the rest of meds. She gets pissed but doesn't spit it out because she doesn't want to slit out the chocolate chips...lol
    Great idea! Definitely keeping this one in my back pocket. 
  • I haven't tried this yet, but my Dr told me if I could get the medicine in LOs mouth to blow in his face and it forces them to swallow. May be worth a try! 
  • mestokes said:
    I haven't tried this yet, but my Dr told me if I could get the medicine in LOs mouth to blow in his face and it forces them to swallow. May be worth a try! 
    My mom always did this. It did seem to work.

• mestokes said:
    I haven't tried this yet, but my Dr told me if I could get the medicine in LOs mouth to blow in his face and it forces them to swallow. May be worth a try! 
    DON'T do this! It actually makes them gasp and they can inhale the meds... less than ideal. 
    DS loves meds haha he thinks they're candy, BUT I do have to give kids meds a lot in he ED so I just squirt it in their cheek and tilt their head back while pinching their cheeks together so they look like fish lips until they swallow. Works every time. They hate it, but it works!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Going through this now and it's rough.  Supposed to give LO antibiotics twice a day for 7 days for an ear infection, it's a battle every time and I wonder how much actually gets ingested...  Hope your LO is all better !
  • Thank you @juliaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. She's a lot better. We actually have to bring her for a follow up this week. It's hard! I felt like she maybe got a tablespoon total throughout the 10 days she was on antibiotics. We tried everything. Eventually my husband had to hold her down while I tried to squirt the antibiotics in her mouth with the syringe. She fought tooth and nail and still spit it out! Good luck! Hope your LO feels better soon. 
  • If anyone is still having trouble giving meds, my friend's daughter will only take them if they are presented on a spoon. God forbid you try to give them to her from the syringe. Sounds like they are murdering her, but give it to her on a spoon and she takes it like a champ with no fuss. Kids are weird.