March 2017 Moms

Mini Size Crib vs Standard Size Crib

so we have been thinking about covertible mini size crib that converts to twin. We want the twins to have 2 twin beds later

or standard size ones that coverts to full

we don't really know anyone that has mini size cribs. Do you or have you used them?
How does ur babies fit?
Which do u prefer and why?

thanks!!

SaveSave

Re: Mini Size Crib vs Standard Size Crib

• I can't be of any help to you, I'm a FTM, but I had been considering a mini crib but the one thing holding me back was worrying about finding a mattress and a crib sheet for the small mattress. Not sure if anyone else can chime in on this specifically? I figured it be more common to find crib sheets for a 'normal' crib.
  • They use mini cribs at our daycare.  DS1 who is 12 months old does fine in one.  I'm sure you can find the sheets on line.  Amazon has everything.
  • Loading the player...
  • I honestly wish we could have bought a cheaper, nonconvertible crib. The one we bought for DS converts to a full size bed but I doubt we'll ever use it as one. He turned two in August and we just bought him his "big boy" furniture and will be moving all of this baby furniture into the nursery. I wish I would have bought higher quality pieces from the get go. I would think that a mini crib would be fine but I don't have any experience with them. 

TTC #1 Since October 2012
    DX PCOS May 2013
    Clomid 50-150mg- No Response
    Moved to RE October 2013
    Nov. 2013: IUI #1 Letrozole + Ovidrel = BFN
    Dec. 2013: IUI #2 Letrozole + Ovidrel= BFP on 1/8/2014 !! EDD 9/17/2014
    Beta #1 (12 dpo): HCG 27, Progesterone 15 (starting on supplements)
    Beta #2 (15 dpo): HCG 297, Progesterone 29
    Beta #3 (17 dpo): HCG 667, Progesterone 34
    1st Ultrasound 1/28 (6 weeks + 1) Baby measuring exactly as it should, HB 118!
    2nd Ultrasound 2/5 Baby measuring 7w4d, HB 133. Everything looks perfect!
    3rd Ultrasound 4/29 (A/S) Our Baby BOY is measuring perfectly and everything looked great! HB160
    Diagnosed with Pre-E at 36 weeks, placed on bed rest, induction schedule for 37 weeks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 on 7/30/15 EDD 4/7/16 MC @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3 on 7/23/16 EDD 3/30/16
  • saraeric said:
    I honestly wish we could have bought a cheaper, nonconvertible crib. The one we bought for DS converts to a full size bed but I doubt we'll ever use it as one. He turned two in August and we just bought him his "big boy" furniture and will be moving all of this baby furniture into the nursery. I wish I would have bought higher quality pieces from the get go. I would think that a mini crib would be fine but I don't have any experience with them. 
     I'm in the same boat. I bought the full size crib and doubt I'll ever use it as anything but a crib, maybe a toddler bed but we already have a separate one someone gave us. Plus, I can't imagine getting my kid a full size bed. 

i think a mini crib would be fine - if it's all your kid knows, then there won't be a problem! My 2yo has the full crib but sleeps in a pack n play when we travel (which is much smaller) and there's never a problem. 
  • It's a good idea. When they grow out of it you could always put twin mattresses on the floor as an interim until they are ready for a bed. :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I say go for it! ((No personal experience)) but my DD slept in a little bassinet for 6mo/co-slept and didn't really use her crib regularly till 9mo, and now we're going to switch her to a floor bed soon to get ready to give this LO her crib.  she'll be 18mo at birth and not even gotten a full year use of it.  She's a top of the charts "big" baby, and I still think she has lots of unnecessary room in a regular size crib.  Also, when you're training babes to sleep in a crib one issue they have is so much space they aren't used to. I remember ppl reccomending to rolls towels under sheets, etc--to make it smaller and cozier-so I think a smaller crib would be even easier for kiddos to sleep in! 

Basically: It's whatever works for you!  Don't feel pressured to buy the bigger thing just because it's what most of us have done. I would totally do the micro if I could do-over, cuz in my minimalist world: smaller is always better!
  • I've been looking and the selection of sheets is so little!!!!!!!!!! I love the idea though and through Pinterest it seems really nice. I think maybe I'll swing by buy buy and babies r us to check out the ones they have in store. Thanks everyone!!!!! 

SaveSave
  • I've been looking and the selection of sheets is so little!!!!!!!!!! I love the idea though and through Pinterest it seems really nice. I think maybe I'll swing by buy buy and babies r us to check out the ones they have in store. Thanks everyone!!!!! 
    If you're worried about the perfect sheets - just order some cute ones from Etsy ;) 
  • Ivorytower2Ivorytower2 member
    edited October 2016
    I have the full size that converts to full bed. I don't think we will convert it though, because the new baby will sleep in it next. My DD is 2, and I want her in the crib as long as possible. She's contained and can't get out and she doesn't know any different, so my vote is for full size and keep the baby/toddler in it as long as possible to make your life easier (especially with twins!)
  • For small apartment, mini cribs are great. Also, if parent are short, these are great too. Moreover, some mini cribs are actually travel crib. I have written an entire article on such mini cribs. You are welcome to check it out.