September 2017 Moms
Options

Cloth diaper stash and prefold question

bassoondiva bassoondiva member
edited March 2017 in September 2017 Moms
Mornin ladies!!!
So after the cloth diaper thread I went and bought some used items at a sale so I wanted to share my stash and ask a question. 
1. What is the proper way to clean used diapers 
2. In addition to what I have, I'd really like to use pre folds. So how many should I get? And how many Covers?
3. Any brands of prefolds / covers you love?
4. Is a diaper sprayer a must have?

I'll attach my pictures in a separate post. 

Re: Cloth diaper stash and prefold question

• Options
    Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    edited March 2017
    1. Fluff Love University !!!! Here are their instructions on how to strip a diaper: https://www.fluffloveuniversity.com/troubleshooting/solving-stinky-diaper-problems/how-to-strip-your-cloth-diapers/

3. I love Thirsties wraps!! I also discovered Luludew and am liking those newborn covers as well. So soft! 

2. For newborn, you should have 30-36 prefolds and only like 6 covers. Those covers will be 2 a day, rotated after being wiped clean with a wipe and left to air dry.

4. A toilet sprayer is a must when baby is having Formula or solid food. The poop is no longer water soluble in the wash and must be rinsed down the toilet first.

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    Also I don't really know what I have in this stash. The three City Baby diapers don't have a pocket so I am assuming you place the insert inside? The blue Velcro one has a pocket. Then there are several inserts( some this snaps?) and several prefolds. I don't know the brand of prefolds but here is the brand of everything else.
    Thirsties
    Baby city
    Best bottoms 
    Bum genius 
    Fruit of the womb
    Milk

I really was just buying anything I saw in hopes that it was something I could use. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    So most of those appear to be PUL (waterproof) wraps (the blue one). You HAVE to place a prefold diaper wrapped around baby first as a newborn. Or a fitted diaper. As a toddler, you can place just inserts in there for absorbency, but I'm not as well versed in thag area.

You have a lot of inserts. Those will be useful at night for newborns for absorbency, and when they are greater than 4 months old. You don't really need inserts during the day for a newbirn, because they poop so much, they will be dirty before they saturate the diaper with pee.

Turn that red one upside down. Let me see it.

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    Re:diaper sprayer 

Do you have a utility faucet/sink? If yes, you don't need a sprayer. (These faucets aren't standard in newer homes.) We use a designated spatula that we keep in the toilet bowl bush holder to plop the poop off in the toilet then wash the rest off in the utility sink. Then wash with the other pee diapers. 
  • Options
    piggybacking on this thread... there is a diaper service in my area that offers both prefolds and fitteds. I am very tempted by the fitteds. Is there any reason (besides cost) to prefer prefolds? is the absorbency the same between the two? 

also, does anyone have experience using disposable inserts once solid foods are introduced? looking way too far ahead, but I'm already having trouble getting DH on board and I think having to install a sprayer/scrape and rinse is a bridge too far for him. 
  • Options
    @zetega I was 100% fitteds all day long.. but $$$$, and baby doesn't need all that absorbency during the day due to poop, and it's so fluffy that would might have trouble getting their pants on over them. I was told mom's prefer prefolds over fitteds due to the custom fit they can do to really keep that liquid newborn poop in. It's just a tighter fit and more secure.

I'm definitely doing fitteds at night though!

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    We clothed and used prefolds and covers, one size fits all, sized and everything inbetween. My favourites were the sized covers because my babies tend to be on the really skinny side and it was hard to get a good fit with with one size fits all till they were around 18 months. I ends up really liking the prefolds used without the pocket because I could take the prefold out when it dirty and just put a new one in and keep the same cover as long as there was no leaks. 

I didn't love my diaper sprayer personally. It was easier to just scrape out then contend with the sprayer and potential spray everywhere. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @Sugargirl1019 nugget ( that's what I call baby) will be breast fed only so does that make a difference in the sprayer ? I'll snap that pic as soon as I get back to the house!!
  • Options
    @Becky012016. Thanks for the tip!!! I never thought of that! We don't have a  utility sink as our house was built in the 70s lol.  
  • Options
    @bassoondiva you can technically throw breast milk poops right into the wash, as it will wash all out! 

I love hearing everyone's experiences with not using a sprayer. So helpful!

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    @bassoondiva if your LO is EBF, it just means needing the sprayer will be delayed until introducing solids, but you'll still need one eventually, so it would probably be handy to have set up and ready to go from birth *just in case* there are any BFing problems that require formula supplements or EFF.

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Options
    I'm no help with the prefolds/covers as I hated prefolds. I use aio and pockets. 

I wash used diapers with like normal (prewash, wash, extra rinse) but I make sure to add bleach to the wash. 

I went ahead and bought a diaper sprayer for this baby because my utility sink was no longer cutting it. It was gross and I much prefer using the toilet. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've never sprayed my diapers. Little bit is 2.5 years old and I've just plopped as much as I can and then washed them using a good prewash/wash routine. 

And not to denigrate them, but the Fluff Love group both stressed me out and had me over washing my diapers. Like anything else, it's best if you use lots of sources. 
  • Options
    I see you @BusinessWife! Yall this girl is the QUEEN of cloth diapers. 

Knottie..bazillion #s and letters.. thanks for the reminder that lots of sources is the best!! I agree their daily wash routine is much more elaborate than what other moms tell me.

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    My wash routine: plop poop, rinse in utility sink with hot water, wash with pee diapers and whatever else fits in the load, power wash hot setting with powder tide. Hang to dry. Done. 

I do strip them using fluff love's method about 1 every 6 months. 
  • Options
    I loved Green Mountain Diaper prefolds. They wear so well and resale really well, too. I used Thirsties Duo diaper covers with the double leg gasket. 
    <><><><><>DD1- May 2011<><><><><>
    <><><><><>Angel Baby- June 2012<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DD2- March 2013<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DS1- ETA September 2017<><><><><>
  • Options
    And adding to others' comments. I clothed two kids and never had a sprayer. I would swirl in the toilet to get poop off if needed and drop into the laundry bag. 

I did the pre wash cold with no soap. Wash hot with soap. Extra rinse. No bleach or other harsh cleaners. I'd use vinegar or grapefruit seed extract if I felt they needed an extra punch. Line dry in the sun to help get the stains out. Easy peasy. 
  • Options
    I cloth diapered until we started solids and that's when my husband got burnt out on laundering them. We had a utility sink so never had a sprayer. This time around I'm going to try a service. I hated one size diapers, but I also had a skinny preemie baby and the gaps around his legs were awful.
  • Options
    @Sugargirl1019 I took a picture of the other side of the blue thirsty and the red one. 

• Options
    Two questions: 
    1. What's your favorite wet bags for the diaper bag? 
    2. For those of you who have had 2 in diapers at one time, how big was your stash? 
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    LOL @Sugargirl1019  ❤ <3 ❤ <3 :*

I read up and got monkeyfoot wetbags
    https://www.monkeyfootdesigns.com/category_28/SINGLE-POCKET-WET-BAGS.htm

@Becky012016 but I also got a few that are great as free promos with fluff purchase.  I think in a diaperbag, it doesn't so much matter bc you can keep the dry stuff in the main bag, separate from the contents of the wetbag, so just any small/med size one that fits in your diaperbag would do, if you check the dimensions.

[ETA I looked back and realized you are already CDing, so sorry if I am saying stiff that's too obvious lol]

A wet/dry style is maybe helpful to toss in the stroller, or into a daypack etc. In a situation where you want clean wipes/diapers self-contained with a place for the soiled ones too, but may not be carrying the whole diaperbag. Does that make sense?  Planet wise seem to be one of the most popular brands, but I haven't tried different brands to compare.  I saw the luludew website has super-cute dedicated wipe bags actually, too, if you want to keep them moist. But again, any small/snack or sandwich size pouch for wipes (if you want to keep them damp) and a more medium size for soiled cd and you should be good.

I also have bigger ones with two loops to hang on the towelrack in the bathroom instead of a pail, but that's for at-home use /doubles for travel use, too. *typos

Eta Re: two at once, not a btdt, but obv the nb phase is so short, but they would be in different fluff at first, then once you're sharing OS, if they have a snapdown rise, the same covers/aios will work on both kids, just at different settings. You can choose to have some pre-snapped, dedicated and ready to go at each kid's setting, or just grab whichever and adjust it as you put it on.  But you really don't need DOUBLE, you just may be washing more frequently bc a load will fill up quicker.  Not sure if you mentioned whether you're using aios or what?

This link seems like a lot of sensible advice.
    https://www.paddedtushstats.com/cloth-diapering-two-at-once/
  • Options
    @bassoondiva Those look like pockets.. agreed @BusinessWife?  So they have to be stuffed for absorbency, but once it is peed or pooped in it goes in the wetbag, so a one time diaper.

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    @Sugargirl1019 and @BusinessWife so these are not to be used with prefolds correct? 
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    @Sugargirl1019 @bassoondiva ah, yes.  So see that little slit in the top of the red one?   That is where you "stuff" it with an insert or pad-folded flat/ prefold.  The blue one looks like it has bigger openings on both ends, so the insert may agitate out on its own, rather than needing to be un-stuffed prior to washing.

[ETA to your recent question, yes and no. Technically, you're right.  When people say prefold+cover, they mean the pul wipeable type, not pocket covers.  BUT- there's no reason you can't use it as a cover over a prefold (you just cant wipe it dry), or stuff the prefold in there, instead of an actual "insert".  You can even fold up a flat and use it as a super-cheap 100% cotton insert! ]

The hint is, if it feels like a thin layer of just soft microfiber, that's all it is.  It's like a stay-dry layer bc the pee goes right through to soak into the natural fiber insert underneath.  If there's nothing underneath that liner, you need to stuff it.  If you can feel padding in there, and no slits to stuff an insert into, the you've got an aio, but either way, they are one-time use.

If you look at the inside and it's just the back side of the cover fabric, then that is a cover, good for multi-use.  If you touch it, the inside feels smooth smd somewhat plasticky.  That's what makes it wipeable so you can go multiple changes, as long as it's not actually SOILED.
  • Options
    @Becky012016

I like Blueberry wetbags the best because zippers are nice, size was perfect for a diaper bag, and they had a handle to I could hang the bag open on changing table (on the purse/bag hook they mold in, you know?) The handle would be a deal breaker for me. 

I had two in diapers for a while... I had around 24 pocket diapers and 24 prefolds or the workhorse fitteds from Green Mountain Diapers (favorite diaper EVER!) We could gotten by with less, but with working full time, we wanted to make sure we didn't HAVE TO wash every other day just in case. I think we washed every 3-4 days 
  • Options
    @BusinessWife thanks so much for all the information!!! That makes total sense!!! I feel like I know what I'm looking at and for now!!!
  • Options
    Ok ladies I'm back again with a question. I now have 23 green mountain diaper prefolds  and 19 workhorses. All of these items I got use.  Some  have meantioned using bleach and some say don't.  Not sure what to do here. If I don't. How can I make sure the diapers are sanatized and safe for my newborn.  If I do use bleach is it really that bad? Is there an alternative?  Let's just say I'm not opposed to using bleach. But just want to do what's best.
    **** Ive tagged some people in this post but then my texting fingers got tired lol. So anyone who has thoughts please reply!*****

@BusinessWife
    @Sugargirl1019
    @lilpoots
    @awildrose
    @Becky012016
    @BigBadWolf12

• Options
    Ok ladies I'm back again with a question. I now have 23 green mountain diaper prefolds  and 19 workhorses. All of these items I got use.  Some  have meantioned using bleach and some say don't.  Not sure what to do here. If I don't. How can I make sure the diapers are sanatized and safe for my newborn.  If I do use bleach is it really that bad? Is there an alternative?  Let's just say I'm not opposed to using bleach. But just want to do what's best.
    **** Ive tagged some people in this post but then my texting fingers got tired lol. So anyone who has thoughts please reply!*****

@BusinessWife
    @Sugargirl1019
    @lilpoots
    @awildrose
    @Becky012016
    @BigBadWolf12

Use bleach for your first wash and an extra rinse cycle. Then, re-wash with normal or sensitive skin detergent to make sure the material is safe for lo's skin. 
  • Options
    We struggled with yeast rashes with LO, so I do a bleach rinse once per month on all my diapers (I add an extra rinse that cycle) and then line dry to kill any last lingering yuckiness. It's worked so far! 
  • Options
    I don't use bleach. Hot wash, white vinegar, grapefruit seed extract, and dry in the sun. We never had issues, and I bought almost everything used. You can look up how to "strip" a diaper and it will give many different wash instructions, too. Washing just the prefolds and workhorse fitteds together is nice because you have more freedom on what you can use vs worrying about breaking down the pul (waterproof lining) or the covers. Does that make sense? 
  • Options
    @awildrose thanks for the natural option. Would you mind sharing how much vinegar and grape seed extract you use in the wash?
  • Options
    @awildrose thanks for the natural option. Would you mind sharing how much vinegar and grape seed extract you use in the wash?
    Oh gosh. I can't remember exactly. A cup of vinegar and 30ish drops of GFSE? I didn't use the GFSE in every wash. 
  • Options
    If they are used I would recommend the bleach wash. The vinegar will work amazingly once you start using them on your baby, but since they were used to collect another baby's poop and pee, which can carry disease, a wash in diluted bleach is best. 
  • Options
    @bassoondiva We used disposables until DS was big enough to fit in the OS cloth diapers. As a first timer you'll likely be in the hospital for 48-72 hours even if you have a straight forward delivery.  Unless someone is willing to clean the diapers for you, you'll just have a huge pile of laundry waiting for you right when you get discharged which is honestly the last thing you'll want to do when you get home.  This thread is a great resource for all things CD. 
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Re: hospital cd @bassoondiva 

I agree with @Becky012016 Part of my "plan" definitely would include sending a friend home to wash them while I'm stuck in hospital...
    ETA I would think you could also just try to bring a few and ask them to throw one on first thing, for the sake of early photos, and/or keep a special one set aside if you wanted for when the hospital photographer comes around ;)

Re: pre-loved prep

I have only purchased pre-loved wool, so I don't have any experience with this.  I know the diapers say not to use bleach, I would think if you follow tested stripping directions online, (that may include bleach), it's probably better to just go for it and be safe than sorry. A little goes a long way in a load.  Extra rinse / wash before it goes on LO and you should be fine.

@awildrose that's interesting about the GFSE. I will have to look more into that.