March 2017 Moms

Breastfeeding rants raves and support

Re: Breastfeeding rants raves and support

• Thanks Ladies sounds like I'm doing it all the way I should be! He is gaining weight and he has over 10 dirty/wet diapers a day. Usually I just feed him until he falls asleep or pops himself off. I guess I'm just nervous about getting an infection or something! 

@IloveAlbert I'm also a teacher and off until August. They told me to start pumping at 4 weeks as well and to have him take a bottle 2 times/week. My lo is 3 weeks today, Im nervous to start pumping next week! I feel like my breasts are just now getting to a point where they are sometimes soft and not all the time so completely huge & engorged! 
  • hisqueen78hisqueen78 member
    edited April 2017
    My LO nurses about 20-30 per side. During the day she stays up and nurses on one side then laughs and coos for about an hour then nurses the other side and falls asleep. At night it's usually both sides then falls asleep. Unlike with my other 2 I would spray milk if they came off. She rarely comes off until she is done. On my left side (which I feel doesn't produce as much as the right) she nurses forever and normally does small sucks until about 15-20 min in then I can hear her gulping. She always has a wet/poopy diaper so I'm sure she is getting enough. I'm at my inlaws now but when we go home on Wednesday I'm going to weigh myself and then both of us to see if she has gained any weight

• Loading the player...
  • At what point do they start having less poppy diapers. The last few days DS has only been pooping twice a day (he's 5 weeks old today) and wasn't sure if it was constipation or his digestive tract is just more efficient now. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @npaulie I don't know if there's an exact time that it shifts. I think the rule of thumb is a baby isn't constipated unless it's three days without pooping when exclusively breastfed in the beginning. My little guy has what looks like "skid marks" in most changes and then has huge poops. DS1 pooped after each feeding it seemed and DS2 doesn't.  :)
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker

• We finally started having less poopy diapers around here at about 6wks too/twice a day sounds pretty good to me! 
  • Well, found out today I've developed mastitis. Luckily I caught it early before any flu like symptoms started. Am definitely finding pumping to be less painful than nursing on that side, so may try only pumping from that breasts. 

The midwife on my insurance nurse line said "don't pump until your symptoms are gone. But my GP suggested pumping after each feeding to completely drain the breast (it doesn't always drain completely). Does anyone else feel like you're constantly getting conflicting advice?

also any suggestions to avoid yeast infection while on antibiotics?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @npaulie That's so frustrating but good that you caught it early. I had it (supposedly.. although had flu like symptoms but not the boob symptoms). I was just thinking about how I was laying on the couch crying because I was so hot/cold and my head was pounding so bad and my DS1 kept choosing all of his noisiest toys. 

Not sure about avoiding a yeast infection. I didn't get one after and do sometimes after certain antibiotics. I don't know what they gave you vut the every 6 hours was killer. 

My midwife did say to pump after to drain the breast. I didn't, but like I said, I didn't have any of the symptoms there. (PS: they phone diagnosed me and I'm still mad they refused to give me an office visit). 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @shines721 I'm surprised they didn't see you! They wouldn't treat me without seeing me. Hopefully on this med I don't get a yeast infection, and will definitely go ahead and try to pump after to drain the breast. Glad you're feeling better now!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @npaulie I haven't had mastitis but I think a probiotic would help prevent the yeast infection.  Something like Culturelle.  They even have probiotic gummies now.  They are so good for you doesn't hurt to take them all the time.
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• MrsBinPA said:
    @npaulie I haven't had mastitis but I think a probiotic would help prevent the yeast infection.  Something like Culturelle.  They even have probiotic gummies now.  They are so good for you doesn't hurt to take them all the time.
    Agreed. I took a probiotic while I was on meds for Mastitis. I also gave my little one a baby probiotic to help her stomach and avoid thrush. 
  • npaulie said: 
    Well, found out today I've developed mastitis. Luckily I caught it early before any flu like symptoms started. Am definitely finding pumping to be less painful than nursing on that side, so may try only pumping from that breasts. 

The midwife on my insurance nurse line said "don't pump until your symptoms are gone. But my GP suggested pumping after each feeding to completely drain the breast (it doesn't always drain completely). Does anyone else feel like you're constantly getting conflicting advice?

also any suggestions to avoid yeast infection while on antibiotics?
    Probiotics and eat lots of yogurt!

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• @kjd291 I am pretty sure I have yet to have an empty boob too.  I just hate that she's so gassy too.  As she's nursing and I hear her gulping down air it drives me nuts because I know it will make her uncomfortable later.  Also, sometimes she chokes because it hits her through wrong and then projectile spit up everywhere!!!

@ashley14598 I definitely feel like pumping made my overactive letdown and over supply worse but that doesn't mean it will for you.  I have a small freezer stash now but I pulled back from the pumping for a little.  I might try doing like every other day or something.  A few days after I started pumping every morning I was so full all the time and LO had even more trouble with let down.  She will be almost 6 months when I go back so she won't be needing as much milk since she'll start eating solids. My DS was 4 months when I went back to work and I didn't have a problem with pumping enough for him without the freezer stash.  I pumped one side in the morning as he nursed, once at school, and pumped one side after school while he nursed.  I even had enough to donate through Human Milk 4 Human Babies.  So I'm not super worried about having a huge amount in the freezer.  I'll probably start pumping again soon, like I said maybe every other day at first, to get some more in the freezer just in case.  Also, she has been getting a bottle once or twice a week so I'll use some of what I pump for that. 
  • @npaulie Probiotics midway between antibiotic doses (taking them at the same time will just kill the probiotic). Also avoid antibacterial soaps so you don't disrupt the flora on your nipples. 

The only way to move a plugged duct is by emptying the breast so pump pump pump. Moist heat like in the shower is helpful.

And sorry to hear you have mastitis. It was awful for me both times I've had it! Feel better soon!
  • wintersongwintersong member
    edited April 2017
    npaulie said:
    At what point do they start having less poppy diapers. The last few days DS has only been pooping twice a day (he's 5 weeks old today) and wasn't sure if it was constipation or his digestive tract is just more efficient now. 
    My breastfed baby went down to 3-4 poopie diapers a day at about 6 weeks. My son had more than that for longer I think. It is really really unusual for a breastfed baby to be constipated. If baby's belly isn't hard and their poop looks normal I wouldn't worry. The range of normal is absurdly large; some babies still poop every time they eat, others go days between blowouts. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • While changing Lucas's diaper tonight I found green poop it was also a different consistentency  ... I've never seen his poop this color before. As a breastfed baby I read (via dr Google) that it's normal it just means he was getting more of the milk in the front? Can anyone confirm this or tell me if their baby has had green poop while breastfeeding? He has a checkup on Monday but I would feel so bad if I missed something! Thank you in advance! 
  • I don't worry much if it happens randomly. Breastfed baby poop can range from green to yellow to brown. My baby has had it a few times, but nothing consistent so I don't worry 
  • @ashley14598 my baby had that... the first time it was bright green and looked like it had leaves in it! The doctor said it was fine and poop color will vary. I got the same info when I researched about the foremilk and hindmilk. Now I just feed from one side each feeding. I have an oversupply so it hasn't been an issue, and the poop has gone back to consistently yellow. 
  • While changing Lucas's diaper tonight I found green poop it was also a different consistentency  ... I've never seen his poop this color before. As a breastfed baby I read (via dr Google) that it's normal it just means he was getting more of the milk in the front? Can anyone confirm this or tell me if their baby has had green poop while breastfeeding? He has a checkup on Monday but I would feel so bad if I missed something! Thank you in advance! 
    Also had it withDD1 and had oversupply - but like PP said there is no need to be concerned if it's occasional green-that's normal. 
  • @Ivorytower2 moving this over from the paci thread...  I don't pump at all, except if I get super engorged from blockfeeding. I'm trying to let my breasts get really full so they can send that message to my body that they're making too much. 

I hope the LC can help you out next week!
  • @Ivorytower2 My LO spits up all the time and A LOT maybe once a day....by a lot I mean what seems like a whole feeding.  I know they always say it seems like more than it is but this is a lot!!!  I am soaked and so is she.  The doctor didn't seem concerned because she is gaining really well.  I have done a lot of reading and I figure it definitely has to do with the oversupply/overactive let down or being over full.  I think some milk shoots down the wrong pipe and she chokes a little.  I hate it though because I usually know it's coming because she starts making a weird kind of choking noise then it's like a waterfall! I know as long as they're gaining it's "a laundry problem not a medical problem" but it's still not fun!  I've tried to start getting to a sink or at least away from carpet.  

When I block feed I try not to pump like @kjd291 said so my boobs will get the message to stop trying to drown my child.  If I am really uncomfortable or really full I willl pump as little as possible with my manual pump just to get comfortable.  Also I figure it takes some of the foremilk out so she has more chance to get more hindmilk.  I freeze what I pump for making cereal later.  
  • One way to block feed is to pump to empty when you wake up in the morning so you start fresh. I've also done that one or two times in the past several weeks.  
  • Thank you both for the tips. I started blockfeeding yesterday AM and so far no more spit up or green poops! I noticed I don't need to pump overnight, but during the day the opposite side still gets so engorged that I've been pumping for like 5 mins- I may cut back on that as the days go on.

two more questions:

Is block feeding a temporary fix or a long term solution? Like will they eventually need both sides or not likely?

Which manual pump do you use? I tried the Medela manual with my first and it was extremely painful.  
  • I have the medela harmony from DD1 and that is what I use on the very rare occasion that I "pump" but it's usually more like one minute of barely even squeezing. 

It's supposed to be a short(ish) term fix --I think it's recommended you do it for a few days and then stop and see how supply is adjusted-and keep going as needed.  with DD1 I got to a happy point (don't remember the time period... a few weeks after I started of block-feeding?) where I could feed on one side each feeding, she was able to handle letdown, and no more diaper/tummy issues.
  • Ok I definitely have a fast let down and an oversupply so that explains it then. Thanks for all the support on my last question! 

@Ivorytower2 I have the issue of the constant spitting up too! And it always feels like it's a lot as well and he's gaining weight too. 

I have another question we did the once a week bottle tonight... we didn't know how much he would eat so we gave him what I pumped this morning which was a bit over 2 oz and he ate a little over an ounce. What do we do with the milk that is left? Can I give it to him again? Does  it just go back into the fridge? Or do we just dump it out? Thanks in advance for any help. Also because he ate from what I pumped tonight around 7:40 he won't wake up to eat again until between 10 and 12 tonight. Do I need to worry about my supply or anything between now and then? He's 4 weeks if that matters. Thanks! 
  • Ok I definitely have a fast let down and an oversupply so that explains it then. Thanks for all the support on my last question! 

@Ivorytower2 I have the issue of the constant spitting up too! And it always feels like it's a lot as well and he's gaining weight too. 

I have another question we did the once a week bottle tonight... we didn't know how much he would eat so we gave him what I pumped this morning which was a bit over 2 oz and he ate a little over an ounce. What do we do with the milk that is left? Can I give it to him again? Does  it just go back into the fridge? Or do we just dump it out? Thanks in advance for any help. Also because he ate from what I pumped tonight around 7:40 he won't wake up to eat again until between 10 and 12 tonight. Do I need to worry about my supply or anything between now and then? He's 4 weeks if that matters. Thanks! 
    Its tricky once they already start to drink it. I think your supposed to toss it, but my mom would save it and try again in 15 mins or so. Then toss it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • IloveAlbertIloveAlbert member
    edited April 2017
    kjd291 said:
    One way to block feed is to pump to empty when you wake up in the morning so you start fresh. I've also done that one or two times in the past several weeks.  
    I was reading about that too.  I went to an LC when LO was about 2 weeks and she suggested I start pumping and storing when she was 4 weeks for when I go back to work.  I did but I think it made my oversupply worse.  I have tried pumping every other day...I go back and forth about whether I think I should do it or not...it does feel good to be empty at least!  I just wonder if pumping to empty helps or makes it worse.  I'm a teacher and I don't go back to work until the end of August when she will be 6 months so I have time and I won't need a massive freezer stash.  I just can't ever decide whether to pump or not!  I just wish I could find something that works!

ETA: I also use the Medela harmony manual pump. 
  • Mastitis again. Anyone have recurring mastitis or tips on prevention? With 3 kids I'm really overextended and not taking care of myself. Wondering if it's happening bc of hygiene (lack of showering) or bc I'm not emptying regularly enough or could it be due to a shallow latch? I can't afford another bout of this it knocks me on my ass.
  • Cbeanz said:
    Mastitis again. Anyone have recurring mastitis or tips on prevention? With 3 kids I'm really overextended and not taking care of myself. Wondering if it's happening bc of hygiene (lack of showering) or bc I'm not emptying regularly enough or could it be due to a shallow latch? I can't afford another bout of this it knocks me on my ass.
    Ugh! Mama-I'm so sorry!! 

Only thing that comes to my mind from other mamas chatting in past... is something pushing on one spot throughout your day? Or all night? Underwire bra, tight shirts? Too tight of sleep bra at night.  Baby wrapping all day in the same position ? Sleep on same side? 

do you have oversupply? Did you finish the full round of antibiotics last time/it may be the same duct? 

I doubt it has anything at all to do with hygiene! I personallybarely shower and never get empty on a side but I haven't had this problem. 
  • Sorry @Cbeanz. That sounds horrendous. Poor lady. No tips on recurring, but I think what brought mine on was a bad latch initially and also wearing a sports bra to bed.
  • @Cbeanz I started work again (hate) and within the first shift the day after I got mastitis again. They seem to think I got it because I didn't pump frequently enough/long enough and because I work nights I came home the next day and had to take care of baby being up for over 24 hours. Lack of sleep and exhaustion is a risk factor for it - I wasn't aware of that. I guess I'm going to get mastitis a lot then because my schedule sucks and they aren't very accommodating to letting me pump. 

So sorry this is happening again to you too. At least you recognized it early! 
    Me: 32 DH: 34
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• justxlaughjustxlaugh member
    edited April 2017
    Soo it's been a week since Everly pooped and I'm getting a little worried. It took awhile for the last one too and when it finally came it was an explosion! She went to the doctor last week and the doc wasn't too concerned saying that breastfed babies sometimes just don't have a lot of waste. She definitely has plenty of wet diapers and is gaining weight/eating well! Anyone else's go this long without a dirty diaper?? And should I be concerned??

edit: she'll be 6 weeks on sunday
    "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love." -Dr. Seuss
  • @kjd291 @marshmallowfarts @Ivorytower2 Thanks ladies, I don't wear anything really constricting and go braless to bed. I generally pump 5oz extra per day which isn't oversupply imo but I do need to stay on top of it. Also this time it's on a different side than before so I know it went away before this round started. I'm definitely exhausted and pretty sure lo has a less than ideal latch. Going to bring her to LLL meeting to get some help. 

One other thing I realized, both cases started after pediatrician check ups with vaccines. She is very sleepy for a day or two after vaccines and doesn't eat well. So maybe I was a little engorged.

@marshmallowfarts so so sorry to hear you had this twice. It's awful.
  • @Cbeanz SO sorry that you have to go through this again. It does just wipe you out.. I hope your kiddos are extra good these next few days. Also.. go you on not wearing a bra to bed! I'm so fearful I'd wake up soaked!

@marshmallowfarts Make sure you check your state laws. No matter how hard it can be for some employers to accept, breastfeeding moms are guaranteed some accommodations from laws. 

@justxlaugh My LO just went through a bout where he pooped every three days. I mentioned it to my FIL who is a pediatrician and he just said "they do that sometimes" and proceeded to tell me the story I often hear about some patients who nursed for 5 minutes on each side from the start, pooped once a week and were perfectly healthy children. Unless she seems uncomfortable, I wouldn't be too concerned (easier said than done, I know). 
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I'm one of those people that have kids that nurse for 5 mins per side from the start only poop once per week.  All 3 did it and never were constipated,  but it was definitely a blow out every time 
  • @justxlaugh only thing I'd be concerned about is the blow out she's probably about to have! Haha. 
  • Random, but does anyone else hate the smell of breast milk once dried. I find that my poor baby gets a hairfull at times and it's awful!
  • Everything just smells like spit-up around here! 
  • Yay she pooped! it was spread out between 2 diapers so not as big of an explosion as it could've been!

Another question: I'm starting to pump to have extra storage but I only feed her one side per feeding and then alternate breasts at the next feeding. So my current schedule is to pump whichever breast she didn't eat from at her third feeding, which is usually anytime between 8-10am. Some days it might be the right side...some days it's the left. Is this ok?? Or am i confusing my breasts? Lol
    "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love." -Dr. Seuss
  • Anyone else feel like a round the clock cow? I certainly do. Part of me wants her to drink formula from a bottle so I can get a little break. But she hates it. I do pump and give a nightly bottle but I want little one to have some formula so she sleeps longer than 2-3 hours for her first stretch. Anyone know of formula that babies prefer, we've tried similar and the e one ... no luck