LGBT Parenting

Acquiring Children

Hi there!  I'm struggling a bit right now.  My DW and I did our first ICI this month.  The TWW is incredibly difficult.  Also, this is so so so expensive.

We're struggling to both deal with the stress of the TWW.  We have a foster daughter who we're in the process of adopting.  That almost feels easier than this.

Has anyone tried TTC and decided it wasn't for them?  I don't want to give up in the first month but this is the hardest thing I've ever done.  And my heart goes out to all the foster children who need permanency - we're still a licensed home, just not accepting placements at the moment.

Re: Acquiring Children

• We have been at this for 3 years....it sucks, but it will be worth it in the end.  (At least that's what we keep telling each other.)

****Trigger mentioned****
    Us:  37, 38, unexplained IF
    TTC for the second time
    Married 10/21/12 to my wonderful wife
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science
    since 2/2014

7 IUIs, 1 cancelled due to too many follicles, 6 BFNs.
    IVF #1 & 2 Failed
    IVF #3 20 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 11 fertilized with ICSI, 6 made it to day 5
                 2 blasts transferred 7/17
    Beta #1 7/26 ***BFP*** 144
    Beta #2 7/28 271
    Beta #3 8/4 1972
    8/15 - Officially pregnant with TWINS
    9/1 - Baby B no longer has a heartbeat, Baby A is holding on!
    9/29 - MMC
    Genetic testing revealed Trisomy 15
    Next cycle will be FET without PGS testing. 
    3/27 - FET transferred 2 "excellent" blasts 
    Beta #1 4/5 ***BFP*** 107 (9dp5dt)
    Beta #2 4/7  244  (11dp5dt)
    Beta #3 4/14  2038   (18dp5dt)
    4/25 - Confirmed pregnancy. Baby measured 1 day behind, FHR 132
    5/9 - 2nd U/S - Baby measured one day ahead, FHR 178
    12/21 - Baby Boy born
    12/10 - FET transfered 1 3BB blast
    Beta #1 12/19 - 88
    Beta #2 12/21 - 230
    Beta #3 12/18 - 3066
  • The tww dove me bonkers but I think that is normal and is worth it in the end. Best of luck and keep us updated.  
  • Loading the player...
  • @acu_baby I don't think we're going to try again right now.  We have one daughter who we're in the process of adopting from foster care and I think we might transition over to the adoption unit and open our home up again.  We're still talking about the pros and cons of it all.  It's all very difficult and emotionally taxing.
  • We've been trying 2 years. I'm scheduled for an embryo transfer tomorrow, after my wife's retrieval last week, and it will be the first TWW in almost a year.

We had a year with 7 IUIs, and then two IVF cycles that were cancelled and converted to IUIs last year. When we decided to give up on my ovaries and try reciprocal IVF, we wanted to use a known sperm donor, so that imposed a 6 month quarantine.

We had 10 eggs, 7 fertilized, 6 still growing as of yesterday. I'm so hopeful, and so anxious, and kind of traumatized by all the disappointment over the last two years. 

It's hard as hell, but this is our path right now. 

Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)