Baby Names

Bram or Brahm?

emilyray14emilyray14 member
edited April 2017 in Baby Names
I really like the name Bram (pronounced BRAHM) as a potential name for a hypothetical brother to Hank and Will. I prefer the Bram spelling because it is 4 letters like my sons' names. But I don't want pronunciation issues, with people thinking it is pronounced rhyming with ram. What would you choose? Bram or Brahm?
My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)

Bram or Brahm? 43 votes

Bram
20% 9 votes
Brahm
79% 34 votes

Re: Bram or Brahm?

• Sorry, do not like the name..... reminds me of Brahma a breed of chicken.
  • I would do Abraham nn Brahm. Love Brahm but not as a given

• Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't change the spelling just to have four letters. 
  • Love Brahm! I would keep the h to avoid confusion.
  • I'm the odd one out. I'd never pronounce Bram to rhyme​ with ram.

Sides. There's precedence. Bram Stoker.
  • I may be ignorant, but I would mispronounce that name no matter how you spell it. 
  • Either way I thought it rhymed with ram or gram. No? Can't figure out the other pronounciation.
  • I would spell it Bram and pronounce it "Brahm" as I know a Dutch child who has this name. I've never seen it spelled Brahm before so to me Brahm looks made up. 
  • I don't love the name with your other kids' names, and I think you'll definitely have pronunciation issues.  It would almost be better to spell it Brom than Bram because that's more the way you want it pronounced.  I'd start over and find something that goes better with the more classic Hank and Will, but failing that, I guess spell it Brahm?  He'll still have a lifetime ahead of him where he'll constantly be telling people how to say his name, but it's slightly less likely.  Maybe give him a more common middle name in case he decides he'd prefer to go by that in the future.
  • I'm the odd one out. I'd never pronounce Bram to rhyme​ with ram.

Yeah but when people say "Bram Stoker"  they almost always say it rhyming with "ram".  

Go with Brahm.  Who care how many letters are in the name?  That sound like en extremely silly reasoning TBH.
  • antoto said:
    I'm the odd one out. I'd never pronounce Bram to rhyme​ with ram.

Yeah but when people say "Bram Stoker"  they almost always say it rhyming with "ram".  

Go with Brahm.  Who care how many letters are in the name?  That sound like en extremely silly reasoning TBH.
    How in the fuck did I get this old without hearing people pronounce Bram like ram?
  • edited April 2017
    Sorry, I would still pronounce Brahm to rhyme with ram. I would just side-eye it less with the H in it after you corrected me. I'm sure this makes me the ignorant one, but I'm comfortable with my intelligence and worldliness, so wanted to give that honest answer.

Someone suggested Brom, which would fit your four letters, and make me pronounce it as you intended.

I think of Sharon, Lois and Bram from the Elephant Show.