Baby Names
Options

Cool names you can't use

I love the name Leah but it means tired or weary. I do take name meanings seriously and I just can't saddle my baby with that. Anyone have a name they love but were turned off by the meaning?  

Re: Cool names you can't use

• Options
    Hmm. Mallory (unfortunate) and Cameron (crooked nose) are the only two with ”bad" meanings I can think of off the top of my head. 

My take on meanings is that they can elavate a name, but outside of like, character names I don't worry too too much if it's not a super totally awesome meaning. One of my favorite girl names is basically ”tender horse” but if H let's me, I'd have kids named Lion and Tender Horse in a heartbeat (Leona and Rosalind)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really like the name Arthur, but can't ever use it because our last name starts with an R and I have a thing about the last letter of the first name cannot be the same as the first letter of the last
    31 years young
    from Seattle(ish)
    5 years married
    FTM and PGAL
    EDD is 12/23/17
    -- It's a BOY! ---

• Options
    I don't worry about meanings. Most people have no idea what names mean. It's not like the general public is going to be like "your parents named you unfortunate!" I can't use Micah because our nephew is Michael. It would probably be my #1 name.
  • Options
    My daughter's name is Savannah which means "treeless plain". Clearly i don't look into meanings too much :D

I can't use Logan, Ella, or Olivia because of family.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    I can't use Daniel because of family even though I absolutely love it.

I love Maverick but I couldn't bring myself to use it. Also love Gavin and Harrison but hubby has vetoed.
  • Options
    @Mamabeagle that made me laugh out loud! I didn't think about that. You might be onto something!  

@MamaWren919 I'm one of those weird people that look up the meanings of names even when I'm not pregnant. lol. When I meet someone new there's a good chance I'm thinking about the meaning of their name. 
  • Options
    Girl names are so hard for us bc all my favs can't be used ugh... 

Fiona, Lucy and Olive (other family members used)
    Iris (too rhymey with DS) ... this one hurts bc I LOVE this name. 
  • Options
    I love the name Raylie, but have a niece named Baylee. Also really love Nolan and Morgan, but my sister used those names :-(
  • Options
    My husband and I found it quite amusing that Algernon means, "having a moustache."  Such a weird origin for a name!

• Options
    I can't use Abraham because I'd want to call him Abe and last name starts with B:(
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @Lindsey1128 we don't care if names rhyme or are similar in our family. We have cousins that are Maddy Ady and Aly and then Kaylee and Jaylee. We also have Katie and Catee ☺