May 2017 Moms
Options

NBR: Favorite Podcasts

I usually listen to podcasts during my commute.  I'm currently in a podcast drought as it seems many of my favorites are between seasons.  Can anyone recommend any new podcasts? My favorites include:

Serial (Season 1 was the best, but I also thought 2 was interesting)
In the Dark (covers the Jacob Wetterling case)
Heavyweight
Reply All
This American Life
Mystery Show
Criminal
Invisibilia

May17 Siggy Challenge
Labor

Re: NBR: Favorite Podcasts

• Options
    Oooo ooo ooo!! 

Anna Farris is Unqualified- she interviews cel rotors and they give relationship advice to callers (and Chris Pratt is on it a lot!)

The Birth Hour- birth stories 

Bitch Sesh- a real housewives breakdown that is very funny

Crimetown- this season is about Providence RI in the 70s-80s lots of mob corruption etc. 

How did this get made?- Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphael, Jason Manzoukais watch terrible movies and talk about them- very funny. 

If if you like Rick and Morty and have a sick and twisted mind- Grandmas Virginity podcast is hilarious and always puts me in a good mood. 

• Options
    Thanks for the thread! I'm always looking for new podcasts to listen to. I've been listening to more audiobooks lately but I'm cancelling my subscription this month so I'll be back to podcasts again soon. My current regular rotation is:

RadioLab - I love this one because every episode is about something completely random.

More Perfect - a RadioLab spin-off. It covers Supreme Court rulings. As a Canadian with little knowledge of the American judicial system I find this one really interesting.

Freakonomics - I like the randomness of this one as well.

The Nerdist - Chris Hardwick interviews famous people about nothing in particular. I don't always find Chris funny, but the geek in me loves the guests he has.

Science Vs. - There aren't a ton of episodes, but it pits facts vs fads and controversial theories.

I've heard about Serial before, but I can't find it on Google Play. Was it a one-time thing?
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @CherryBananas
    I like Science Vs. too. I forgot to include it.  They have a new season starting next week.  Serial has about 22 episodes between the first two seasons and they are working on a 3rd.  I get all my podcasts through the Apple app so I can't speak to its availability in Google Play.  You could get the NPR app and it should be on there.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot If you liked the first season of Serial, I'd highly suggest Undisclosed. It's done by Rabia Chaudry (who they mention in Serial) and a couple other folks. It's essentially a lawyered-up version of Serial. Lots of nitty gritty details and really fascinating information they go into about the case. They actually find out a lot more than the Serial cast did.
  • Options
    I'm so excited about this thread! 

@CherryBananas - More Perfect is my favorite podcast of all time. I wish they would release more episodes though! Science vs. sounds interesting, I've never heard of it. 

@Hansolosparka - The Birth Hour sounds like a good one, I'll definitely add that to my list! 

I also listened to the first season of Serial, but did not like the second season at all though, which was a bummer.

I'm a big fan of Stuff You Should Know - it's from How Stuff Works, and their topics are all over the place. The hosts, Josh and Chuck are just awesome. There are hundreds of episodes, and I'd recommend going back and listening to the early ones first.

I also like Court Junkie and Up & Vanished- both crime stories. Court Junkie follows a variety of true crime stories, and Up & Vanished follows one cold case out of Georgia. 
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Options
    Why have I apparently been missing out on podcasts?! Every single one of these seems super interesting! Most of my time in the car is a 15 min drive at most with my kids in tow so Disney music is on, but I need to save these lists for our next cross country move! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Options
    @hp_momma I have a beastly commute but also they're great to listen to while you're cleaning or folding laundry!!
  • Options
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot thanks! I didn't think to download the NPR app. I'll give that a shot later. That's good to hear about Science Vs. I've been checking every now and then for new episodes.

@kayemjay2 I wish there were more as well! The main guy that does it took a few months off from RadioLab in the fall so I'm hoping now that he's back there will be some more coming.

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @kayemjay2  I listened to Up & Vanished as well. I had a hard time getting past the narrator's voice.  It seemed like it was run through one of those machines that make it sound more like a "radio voice."  I can't wait to hear about all the new developments (trying not to spoiler here).

@starphish18   I listened to Undisclosed for a bit as well.  I meant to include "and all it's spin-offs" in my Serial recommendation.  In that vein, I also listened to Slate's Serial Spoiler Specials and The Serial Serial.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot - I agree! Also, every time he has his friend come on to describe who a person is, I roll my eyes. That guy has a ridiculous voice. He sounds like the narrator on Judge Judy or something. 

@CherryBananas - I hope that's true, that would be amazing! There are so many more interesting Supreme Court stories left to be told!
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Options
    My podcasts are political and boring but have a TON of output so there's almost always something new in my feed:

FiveThirtyEight's Politics podcast: it's weekly but they sometimes do additional side/spinoff series like a recent one on the state of party politics, or during the election on voter demographics 

NPR's Politics podcast: also one weekly round up but an additional 1-3 every week with specialized topics 

Best of the Left: every episode is a different topic and rounds up what different leftist sources are saying about it (it's not as good and the sources aren't as varied as it was when I first started listening to it in like 09)

And then a couple of NPR weekly game shows, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and Says You. 
  • Options
    Love this! Podcasts are my go-to remedy for a long commute. Great thread!

My faves include:
    - How I Built This - innovators and entrepreneurs share how they got big movements growing (i.e. Richard Branson starting Virgin)
    - Revisionist History with Malcolm Gladwell
    - TED Radio Hour
    - Stuff Mom Never Told You
    - Freakonomics
    - This American Life
    - Ram Dass Here and Now
    - The Way I Heard It with Mike Rowe (quick listens)

I'm obsessed, can you tell? 
  • Options
    Love this thread!

Most of the podcasts I listen to have already been mentioned, but I've recently gotten into the Moth and the Longest Shortest Time.

I use the PodBean app. It seems to have everything from everywhere, and it's pretty easy to use.
  • Options
    Another one I'll suggest is Limetown. It's just one season, but I thought it was really entertaining. It's a fictional story about the disappearance of a whole town, told as a real investigation by a journalist. I guess I would say it's a little like x-files.
  • Options
    I love that we have so many NPR listeners in May! NPR melts my heart.

My favorite podcast is The Minimalists. Anyone trying to simplify their life could get some great value from it.

Another that I like is MindPalace podcast, but you have to be okay with some giggling and going off script. It's a woman from Britain and a woman from Hawaii who shoot the shit about ways to live a more meaningful life.

I might be into some crunchy froo-froo stuff. 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Options
    I liked Serial and I loved Undisclosed.  Right now I'm listening to My Favorite Murder. They annoy me a bit sometimes but I really enjoy the podcast. Looks like I have some more to add to the list. 
  • Options
    I just started listening to Missing Richard Simmons last night and it's really interesting and kind of sad. 
  • Options
    SKZWSKZW member
    Thanks for starting this thread---and for everyone's suggestions! These are great! (Everytime I read the thread title, I think it says "NPR: Favorite Podcasts" which is funny considering all the NPR suggestions.)   ;)
  • Options
    @cato99 - I definitely just subscribed to a couple of your suggestions, and also want to strongly second Wait Wait Don't Tell Me! I especially enjoy listening to that one with someone else (usually my husband on road trips) and making our own competition :smile:
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Options
    Witch Hunt - because I'm a history geek! Really awesome info on the Salem witch trials.

BFP #1 12/23/12 EDD 9/3/13 DD #1 8/26/13

BFP #2  2/25/16  EDD 11/5/16 MMC 4/15/16

BFP #3  8/31/16  EDD  5/12/17 It's a GIRL!

BabyFruit Ticker Visit The Nest

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options
    JCWhiteyJCWhitey member
    edited March 2017
    If you liked Serial you may like Undisclosed which delved deeper into the story from the first season.  I listened to the second season but lost interest halfway through.  I just couldn't find sympathy for anyone involved in the story (except the victim).  With Adnan's story is seemed so tragic for everyone.

Also Stuff You Missed in History Class.  We listen to this one on long road trips.  But I'm not a big fan of the current hosts. 

Homecoming is a podcast that's like a TV show- fictional with characters and multiple seasons (although only one so far).  I got into the story line pretty easily and can't wait for the second season.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    Looking forward to checking out a lot of these! 

The Longest Shortest Time helped me survive those early middle of the nights when I was trying to rock my son to sleep. I loved how the volume never got really loud, and the stories of other moms helped me feel less alone. 
  • Options
    I just discovered a new (to me) podcast, which was recommended in one of my current favorite podcasts, Stuff You Should Know- it's called One Bad Mother, and it's awesome. Granted, I've only listened to an episode and a half, but it's a parenting podcast with an "explicit" warning...where can it go wrong? 
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Options
    Found an excellent list of the 50 best podcasts if anyone is looking for more:

The 50 Best Podcasts Right Now - TIME
  • Options
    YOU GUYS I had to dig this thread up to tell people to go check out S-Town if you haven't already! 
  • Options
    @cato99 I just finished it and really liked it.  :(
  • Options
    @cato99
    I was just going to post that! I'm on episode 4 or 5.  So good.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    I've been watching Ellen and she keeps mentioning a podcast called S-Town. Thought I would mention for those of you who listen to podcasts.