Baby Names

Double Name: Mary -

cottingham3cottingham3 member
edited March 2017 in Baby Names
We are expecting our 4th and in the very early stages of the name game. We like for our children to have one family name and one name of their own. We do not really have "themes" but like for their names to be a story we can share with them so that they know how much thought we put into such an important part of them.

We have a long, very English last name. We have tried to stick with names that have significance for our family or heritage. We currently have (I know many won't like these name but we love them):

Carys Jo -welsh first name meaning love, Jo is a name carried by most of the women in Dh's family
Sawyer Burt -works with wood as my husbands' work was in forestry, Burt - DH family name
James Fowler -Family name and favorite book of the Bible, Fowler-again for my husband's line of work

If we have a girl this time, we would like a double name with Mary as the first. We already have Elizabeth and Katherine which would be our 1st choices in our immediate family. 

We have been tossing around Mary Allyn as my great-grandfather's name was Allyn. I like that she could later in life go only by Mary or even Ally if she choose. I am open to lots of other suggestions, but I do not want it to be too dainty of a name. We have also considered Mary Elliot (another family surname).

Thanks!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Double Name: Mary -

• I'm confused.  Elizabeth and Katherine are options or are not options? 

I prefer them with Mary over Allyn and Elliott, since they are both surnames,  they sound like a full name, not a double first. I think they are better suited to a middle name spot if you use middle names.
  • Sorry, that was unclear! Those would be my first options,, but already taken by immediate family members! That is just too close for me.  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • ashleyandelyashleyandely member
    edited March 2017
    Ok I think I get it. you're just looking for help with girl names. Right? lol 

I strongly dislike Allyn and Elliot for a daughter, even paired with Mary.

Mary Louise
    Mary Beth
    Mary Jane (I actually love this)
    Mary Kate (just skip Katherine)
    Mary Lynn
    Mary Isabelle
    Mary Julia
    Mary Ellen (close to Elliot)
    Mary Alison (close to Allyn)

DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • I really like Mary Louise as PP suggested 

Mary Eleanor 
    Mary Ann 
    Mary Corinne
    Mary Jean

• Mary Alice
    Mary Megan
    Mary Bridget
    Mary Samantha
  • Both Allyn and Elliott are NMS. I third Mary Louise!

Mary Olivia
    Mary Viola
    Mary Rose
    Mary June
    Mary Frances
    Mary Clementine
    Mary Fiona

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Mary Ellen
    Mary Josephine
    Mary Allison (Ally)
    Mary Delaney
    Mary Paige

i would not go go with Mary Jane (immediately makes me think of Marajuana ha)

of your boys list I would go with James Fowler which flows very nicely. I love love the name Sawyer but it sounds yucky with Burt.

• Mary Ellen
    Mary Josephine
    Mary Allison (Ally)
    Mary Delaney
    Mary Paige

i would not go go with Mary Jane (immediately makes me think of Marajuana ha)

of your boys list I would go with James Fowler which flows very nicely. I love love the name Sawyer but it sounds yucky with Burt.

Those are her sons names. 
  • cottingham3cottingham3 member
    edited March 2017
    Haha. I will be sure to tell my son you think so, as those are the names of my sons. Lol. Oh, and back in 2012 when I was still PG with Fowler. Everyone here HATED that name. I mean I was called all sorts of names for naming him that! He now proudly tells people His name is Fowler and explains its meaning!

BTW, the boys are not dounle names and Carys Jo goes by both Carys and CJ from time to time.

I am grateful for the Mary lists...they are helping!

• Sorry! I misunderstood:(
  • I know a Mary Alice and love that combo. Is Mary Kate out? I think even if you have a Catherine in the family Mary Kate feels like a completely different name.
  • Mary Grace
    Mary Beth
    Mary Sue
    Mary Ellen
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I actually love Mary Allyn and Mary Elliot! I really can't pick between the two! :smile:
    Me: 31 DH: 35
    Married since 05.16.2009
    Expecting #1: 10.10.2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love Mary Allyn. 
  • I also like Mary Alice.  Mary Allyn isn't bad.  Maybe Mary Agnes?
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• More support for Mary Alice or Mary Ellen
  • My grandma is Maryjo
  • I know a Mary Margaret and I've always liked her name! It's a mouthful, though, for sure.
  • Mary Elliot immediately made me think of Missy Elliot... LOL
  • antoto said:
    Mary Elliot immediately made me think of Missy Elliot... LOL
    Mary 'Misdemeanor' Elliot.

Seriously, though, I think Mary Allyn for honoring your grandmother would be lovely.
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]