March 2017 Moms

Breastfeeding rants raves and support

Re: Breastfeeding rants raves and support

• @mecoats yay!! So happy to hear! Great work mama (and molly!)
  • Loading the player...
  • @Cbeanz @mecoats you can definitely use it to make baby food or mix with rice cereal when learning solids! I've seen some people make soap with theirs - not my thing but totally still doable? 
    Good idea!! I'm gonna be keeping it in separate bags for just this. :) 
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • @SienaC ... that sounds like a need for non nutritive sucking? Does she take a pacifier? How long is that stretch when she does that?
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker

• shines721 said: 
    @SienaC ... that sounds like a need for non nutritive sucking? Does she take a pacifier? How long is that stretch when she does that?
    She will occasionally take a pacifier when I offer it but this situation is occurring at times that she should be hungry! She will nurse for a few minutes and then fall asleep and I will wake her up by changing or burping and she will nurse for another couple minutes and we will continue this fight back and forth for 30mins before I finally give up. 

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• @SienaC Maybe you've lucked out with a baby who can go for longer stretches sooner than later?

Not sure how old LO is but she should be able to start going longer stretches for eating during the night. My son is going from 7:45-12:45 or 1:15 for his first stretch during the night.

For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• IloveAlbertIloveAlbert member
    edited April 2017
    Can anyone share any experiences with thrush?  I'm wondering if we have it but I'm not sure.  I know I could call the ped but we've been there almost once a week since LO was born for various issues and I'd really like to avoid another visit if it's not necessary.  I am having some symptoms I think could be thrush or maybe not haha.  My nipples are a little itchy sometimes and hurt a little sometimes but not a lot.  LO has also been nursing more frequently and sometimes her latch still isn't great.  Nipple issues could be caused by that? Also sometimes my boobs hurt a little...not engorged or plugged duct and it's not bad but just a little achy sometimes.  Does nipple/breast pain have to be really bad to be thrush? LO's tongue has some white on it but I'm not sure if it's just milk/spit up residue since she spits up ALL THE TIME.  She is really gassy which I read is a symptom too.  I tried to look in her mouth for other white spots and on top of her mouth is a little white kind of but I can't tell if that's the color of her mouth haha.  It's not obvious like a lot of the pictures I've seen online.  Just not sure what to do...tired of going to the doctor and don't want to labeled crazy mom who always thinks there is something wrong with her kid.  If it is definitely a problem obvously I'll go but maybe I'm just being paranoid.  Maybe I am that crazy mom haha...I thought we were supposed to know more with the second one! Also I am so afraid if it is thrush because I have read it is really hard to get rid of and so much work...plus I'd have to throw out my freezer stash! 

ETA: She does not seem to be in pain when she is nursing and doesn't have any diaper rash.
  • @IloveAlbert I'm not a medical professional, obviously ;) but when I was worried about thrush with my first (wasn't thrush) I was told---don't obsess if it is or isn't, if it IS then you will know for certain. 
  • @IloveAlbert were you taking antibiotics? If so, try adding a probiotic to your diet like culturelle. I swear by probiotics for preventing fungal infections while on antibiotics.

I've had thrush in my mouth and it's very very painful. I think it usually comes with a yeast infection so if you're not seeing a diaper rash it's either really mild or something else. Never hurts to call the pedi though - they can easily diagnose just by looking in the mouth. Keep us posted.
  • Thanks @kjd291@cbeanz I'm not on antibiotics but I have been meaning to start a probiotic just because I've heard it's good when you are breastfeeding.  She really doesn't seem to be in pain at all.  I might wait it out and see if anything gets worse before I call.  If she seemed to be in pain I'd call right away but she's not.  Of course, the weekend is coming and that's always when things get worse and the doctors aren't there!  So far I don't really feel like I know much more as a STM to a newborn than I did as a FTM! 
  • @IloveAlbert - DS had thrush but wasn't in pain from it. He had white spots everywhere and a thick white patch on his tongue that didn't wipe away very easily. My nipples also had thrush - they were pink instead of brown and I'd get shooting pains in them while pumping. 

Even after the antibiotics DS just kept getting mild thrush - we were told not to worry about it because it wasn't bothering him. Well we started baby probiotics for him and the thrush disappeared within a week. I also take probiotics and my nipple thrush got under control. I also do vinegar water a few times a day to help prevent any problems. 

Not sure but our doctor just calls in a script for thrush - yours may do the same. The medicine is awful for their bellies though so definitely get your baby some probiotics with it. We got ours at target. 
    Me: 32 DH: 34
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• @marshmallowfarts Thank you!  That's really helpful...maybe I will just start the probiotics and see what happens.  She doesn't have white spots all over...I tried to see if her tongue wiped of easily but she won't really let me get in her mouth.  I don't get shooting pains but just dull ones sometimes.  It's always something with a newborn, isn't it?!  
  • vprodvprod member
    @IloveAlbert swipe a QTip on baby's tongue. If the white stuff comes off very easily (& doesn't leave patches), it's just milk residue.

Itchy nipples can be one of many, many things so not the best way to diagnose
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think we're in the 8wk (adjusted) growth spurt! Eating EVERY HOUR - I thought her normal every two hours thing was demanding. Gahhh. 
  • I didn't think of a QTip...I was trying to get a wash cloth in there haha a QTip would be much easier! Thanks, @vprod
  • Just posted this on a FB comment but want to ask here also:
    I've been using the milkies milk saver on the opposite side LO feeds from first & get 1-2 oz each time I nurse. My milk just came in a few days ago but I've already got 15 oz of leakage saved in the fridge. I haven't pumped yet, was planning to start around 3-4 weeks & start building a freezer stash then. I want to test out if LO will take a bottle from the stuff I've collected so far but am not sure how/when to do that or how many ounces to give him at a time...anyone have advice for this?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @serenity13

My pediatrician always says introduce it by one month. Also, do it at least once a week or else you risk them forgetting and then having to reintroduce it again. 

I'm not sure on the ounces.. my LO has been getting 4oz when he has a bottle and still goes the 3 hour stretch (I pump 6-7oz though!) 
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Gah! I need pumped milk to add DD's Zantac to (which two days in already seems to be working, yay!!!) and I noticed one side isn't really producing! Any tips to up the supply there? Should I keep putting the baby on that side? Or just pump on it?
  • @Jilliants baby nursing is the best! 
  • Jilliants said:
    Gah! I need pumped milk to add DD's Zantac to (which two days in already seems to be working, yay!!!) and I noticed one side isn't really producing! Any tips to up the supply there? Should I keep putting the baby on that side? Or just pump on it?
    Has your babe been acting like they're getting nothing there? Could it just be responding differently to the pump?

If try always offering that side first at a feeding to see if that changes anything if it's truly loe. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • When breastfed sites or advice say to make sure LO empties a breast completely, how would I know if he did? I usually just go by if the breast is softer/how long he's been nursing. But sometimes I can only get him to eat for 12 minutes on one side (that's after lots of stops/tickling/a diaper change/pulling him away from the breast to create a sucking reflex) and he's asleep or has no interest. I'm not pumping yet per my lactation consultants advice at the hospital/my midwife (both told my body would create too much milk- a problem I already have!) anyways any suggestions? Thanks ladies!  
  • Just posted this on a FB comment but want to ask here also:
    I've been using the milkies milk saver on the opposite side LO feeds from first & get 1-2 oz each time I nurse. My milk just came in a few days ago but I've already got 15 oz of leakage saved in the fridge. I haven't pumped yet, was planning to start around 3-4 weeks & start building a freezer stash then. I want to test out if LO will take a bottle from the stuff I've collected so far but am not sure how/when to do that or how many ounces to give him at a time...anyone have advice for this?
    The lactation consultant I worked with said 4-6 weeks for introducing a bottle.
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• @ashley14598 I don't have any specific advice, but I know some babies just nurse more quickly even when they are really young. My DD can take less than 10 mins per side and she's not even 4 weeks. If baby seems fussy when nursing that could be a sign it's time to switch. You could also try hand expressing to see if anything comes out to help figure out if it's time to switch.
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    edited April 2017
    Yep! ^^^Baby usually gets fussy and head butts or roots.  I usually try and see if I can hand express anything. When I'm empty I can only get drops, but otherwise I spray a few streams. 
  • i will also express to see what the supply situation is.

i'm going to try exclusively bottle feeding today to see if it will help with DDs reflux. I was hoping she'd be growing out of it by now but its still going strong and i feel so bad for her. i feel like my forceful let down only makes things worse. i've tried all of the tips with no success so going to call the doc tomorrow and see what she thinks
  • My first was exclusive bottle fed breast milk and spit up more than my two breastfed babies. She gained weight well so it wasn't an issue. The overactive let down got better with age for my other 2 and they could handle it better.

I introduced a bottle at 2 weeks with this baby because I feel like I started too late with my second and that's why he refused it.

I switch sides when she pops off a ton and seems frustrated. My 7 week old can finish a side in about 7 minutes and has for a long time. Everyone empties at different rates and my kids never need a ton of time at the breast.

• @ashley14598 I switch when he either pops off or is just hanging out there. He is gaining weight and lots of wet and poopy diapers. 

I don't track time but if he pops off what seems like too soon, I try that side again after a burp and can tell if he's happy or not. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I'm so jealous of your quick eaters!! DS takes 25 min on average PER SIDE. I feel like by the time he's done it's nearly time to start again!! Haha
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @npaulie kate is the same - it can take me 40 mins to an hour to feed her 
  • When breastfed sites or advice say to make sure LO empties a breast completely, how would I know if he did? I usually just go by if the breast is softer/how long he's been nursing. But sometimes I can only get him to eat for 12 minutes on one side (that's after lots of stops/tickling/a diaper change/pulling him away from the breast to create a sucking reflex) and he's asleep or has no interest. I'm not pumping yet per my lactation consultants advice at the hospital/my midwife (both told my body would create too much milk- a problem I already have!) anyways any suggestions? Thanks ladies!  
    When they no longer want to nurse one side, offer the other. My girl gets gassy, so I burp after she finishes or falls asleep and offer the other. Sometimes she wants it, sonetimes not. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My poor baby is trying to nurse from a firehose, so she only takes about 5 minutes per side then she's just exhausted and done. This is even with me expressing to get thr initial let down out of the way. I don't think my supply is crazy large, my let down is just out of control. I just resign myself to laid back nursing and nursing every 90 minutes all day :/
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • How often do you change breast pads? I read online that the answer is "when they're wet", which makes sense except that mine don't ever feel wet. I know I have let down because I leak when I don't wear breast pads.  Is it OK to only change them once a day if they seem to absorb everything?
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• My poor baby is trying to nurse from a firehose, so she only takes about 5 minutes per side then she's just exhausted and done. This is even with me expressing to get thr initial let down out of the way. I don't think my supply is crazy large, my let down is just out of control. I just resign myself to laid back nursing and nursing every 90 minutes all day :/
    Same girl. : (  
  • Same boat with the crazy let down but now I'm having oversupply issues as well.  I think LO always had some trouble with the let down (coughing, gulping, gagging, spitting up, gassy) but then I went to a LC who suggested I start pumping at 4 weeks to introduce a bottle once a week and build a freezer stash.  Since then I've been pumping in the morning but I think I created a boob monster...too much milk and even crazier let down.  I don't have to go back to work until the end of August since I'm a teacher so I think I'm going to lay off the pumping for awhile and see if that helps.  At her 1 month the pedi said he thinks she's getting too much foremilk so I've also been block feeding a little bit. Hope it helps because she's a grumpy, gassy girl right now! 
  • serenity13serenity13 member
    edited April 2017
    For those who have gassy babies & do gas drops: what type do you use and did your pediatrician suggest it or give you a prescription for them or can you just buy them otc at like a cvs?

@RunBooRun I've noticed the same exact thing! It's like magic with totally  preventing leaking when I use pads but without them I'm like a leaky faucet!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @serenity13 my gas drops are called Little Remedies Gas relief drops...you can find it otc anywhere in the children med section of stores.
  • @IloveAlbert sorry you're dealing with it too!  I've been block feeding for a couple weeks now and still have yet to have a fully empty boob at any feeding. She's definitely happier than DD1 was, not having green mucous diapers, and not overly gaining weight like her sister did either-so I know it's helping. But it's still annoying.  It's hard to try and nurse around anyone when there is milk flying everywhere and coughing and sputtering baby. 
  • DD has definitely been less spitty when feeding from the bottle. She's still having considerable issues though so we have a doc appointment tomorrow. poor thing!
  • DD has definitely been less spitty when feeding from the bottle. She's still having considerable issues though so we have a doc appointment tomorrow. poor thing!
    Sorry she's having such a tough time! Hope the doc has some ideas to help