Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Would you bring your baby to a funeral?

My aunt passed away very suddenly 2 days ago.  I have 3 kids ages 4, 2, and 4 months.  My inlaws are watching the 4 and 2 year old but the 4 month old will not take a bottle so I was actually thinking of bringing her.  I will be gone 5-6 hours.  My mom thinks its terribly inappropriate to bring a baby to a funeral and just tells me I should just keep trying a bottle.  Well, the funeral is in 2 days so what do I do if I can't get her to take a bottle in 2 days?  

The wake and funeral are back to back so my mom is saying skip the wake and go to the funeral and my husband can stay in the car with the baby.  My aunt's death hit us all very hard and I really want to be there for all of it and I want to be there for my cousins and uncle but I also don't want my baby's presence to be a disruption.  What would you guys do?  I am sad and grieving the loss of my aunt but I know it doesn't compare to how my cousins must feel about losing their mom so I want to do what is right and I don't want to be insensitive by bringing the baby.  I also wanted to add that my cousin has a 4 and 2 year old but I don't know if they will be there for any of it.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Would you bring your baby to a funeral?

• My aunt passed away very suddenly 2 days ago.  I have 3 kids ages 4, 2, and 4 months.  My inlaws are watching the 4 and 2 year old but the 4 month old will not take a bottle so I was actually thinking of bringing her.  I will be gone 5-6 hours.  My mom thinks its terribly inappropriate to bring a baby to a funeral and just tells me I should just keep trying a bottle.  Well, the funeral is in 2 days so what do I do if I can't get her to take a bottle in 2 days?  

The wake and funeral are back to back so my mom is saying skip the wake and go to the funeral and my husband can stay in the car with the baby.  My aunt's death hit us all very hard and I really want to be there for all of it and I want to be there for my cousins and uncle but I also don't want my baby's presence to be a disruption.  What would you guys do?  I am sad and grieving the loss of my aunt but I know it doesn't compare to how my cousins must feel about losing their mom so I want to do what is right and I don't want to be insensitive by bringing the baby.  I also wanted to add that my cousin has a 4 and 2 year old but I don't know if they will be there for any of it.
    Could you call your cousin and ask what she thinks or are you not that close? If you think she will be relatively quiet bring her and if she starts getting noisy your husband can take her out. I don't think if your baby were sitting quietly that it would be an issue. And presumably for the reception people will be talking, so the baby wouldn't need to be too quiet.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Sadly bringing babies is not a good idea, as our little dinosaurs tend to disrupt things and dont like to follow rules yet. :) Sorry for your loss, thats a tough situation