Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

how long should I wait to try to TTC again. I had my surgery this morning so any help on what's next

Need help on what to do next 

Answers

• I'm recovering from a 2nd MMC after having a d & c and both times I was told we can try once I get first period. 
  • Also I'm so sorry for your loss
  • Loading the player...
  • I've had 3 D&Cs. You're not even supposed to be cleared for sex/tampons/baths/anything inside your vagina for 6 weeks due to infection risk.
  • @ghanimaatreides   Interesting.  The longest I have been told to stay away from tampons/baths/sex is 2 weeks.  The other time was 10 days.  I've had 3 OBs tell me I can try with first cycle after D & c and an RE tell me the same thing.  My Drs all said new research shows better chances of conceiving after loss when trying sooner than later since you are more fertile and they only asked for first cycle bc it's easier to determine dates.  I have also read a lot of research on timing of TTC after loss.   Its always interesting to see that drs have different opinions 
  • After my D&C they recommended 3-4 weeks before sex/tampons/baths. I found that recommendations varied depending on the source and also based on natural vs. surgical miscarriage (longer for the latter). 

For both of my MCs, I am waiting until the first period, as both of my doctors recommended. I don't think there is a medical necessity (at least not proven) to wait until next cycle, it just makes dating easier. There is a camp of doctors out there who think this is necessary to build up a proper uterine lining, but evidence for this is weak. Honestly, both times I was in my fertile window immediately following miscarriage, I happened to be OOT anyways, so timing wouldn't have worked out if we tried. 

Often women do not ovulate in the first cycle after MC anyways. I'm not certain if I did, since I did not temp either time to confirm, but I have had CM that lines up with the date of my first post-MC AF, so I suspect that I did? Just something to consider. After my first MC, My first cycle after AF was actually a super short (18 day) anovulatory cycle.

Me: 30 | DH: 31
    Met: August 2006
    Married: July 2012
    TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

BFP: 7/12/16 | MC: 9/12/16
    BFP: 1/18/17 | MMC: 2/13/17
    BFP: 10/7/17 | EDD: 6/21/17

MTHFR: homozygous A1298C
  • trina347trina347 member
    edited April 2017
    My OB advised to start trying again after 2-3 cycles.

• I had a missed miscarriage in January (no HB or growth after 6-7 weeks). Doctor said wait 5 weeks and that there is a slightly higher chance of miscarriage if you get pregnant after a d&c. I did not get a period after the 5 weeks and fell pregnant again that month. It turned into a chemical pregnancy. Next month tried again, pregnant, and another chemical pregnancy. I see my doctor this week to determine if it's because I didn't give myself enough time to heal and repair my lining, or if I have fertility issues (since I have had 3 losses in a row). I've heard a lot of stories that some people are very fertile right after and have no problems.  So I guess I would say it's up to you and what you think you can handle emotionally and physically. 
  • This article from TIME may interest you - although there is no mention whether this applies to both natural MC and D&C, or just the former: Trying to Get Pregnant Soon After Miscarriage is a Good Idea: Study

"The researchers looked at 1,083 women, the vast majority of whom had lost a pregnancy before 20 weeks, and had not experienced pregnancy complications like a tubal pregnancy or the growth of abnormal fetal tissue in the uterus."
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Forgot to add that my surgery discharge instructions also said to avoid anything in the vagina for 2 weeks, the same as what was told to @Mack2342. I had no other complications, just a silent miscarriage. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @silvergreen I have read several studies saying the same thing.  My doctor said it was because of the new research that they were changing their recommendations and now saying there is no wait period and only ask that you wait until period arrives for dating purposes