March 2017 Moms

Breastfeeding rants raves and support

Re: Breastfeeding rants raves and support

• @jenny0228 I'm sorry you're struggling so much with your BFing, and that you had a breakdown about this whole journey--obviously it's true that you have a healthy baby and you need to focus on that! BUT your other feelings are also valid. It's okay and normal to grieve the loss of the birth you wanted-and to process it all! You've been through a lot these past days! So don't feel bad or guilty for not just focusing on baby. This is about you too!  It's totally normal. Big hugs! You're doing (and have done) an amazing job fighting for what you think is best and that's all you can do! <3 
  • npaulie said:
    Does anyone have one boob that's more full than the other? My left boob is CONSTANTLY more full than the other. I've been starting every feed on that side to get it drained, but I'm worried I'm making the problem worse?
    Same here. Left boob always has more. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @kjd291 thank you!!!!  :*
  • @npaulie I think one side generally produces more. My left side did last time and seems to be trending that way again. I wouldn't start on that side each time.. eventually is "balances out" and by that I mean it just won't be so engorged feeling each time as baby gets older. 

@jenny0228 Exactly what your husband said.. your body grew your baby no matter what means it took to get there and deliver him. You are doing a great job and it's obvious that you're a great mom already with how concerned you feel/are. 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @jenny0228 you are an AMAZING MOMMA & EXACTLY the one Oscar needs!! No one else can give him the love and care that you can. NO ONE! Like your hubby said, you grew Oscar in your womb & carries him to full term. He is healthy and perfect, because of YOU! Keep that head up and stay kind to yourself. 
    I'm so excited you get to have an in-home LC AND you're boob leaked for the first time AND you'll be going to weekly meetings.... it will get better. I just know it!
    HUGS!
  • @npaulie My left boob always feels more full than the right and produces more milk when pumping.

When did everyone's nipples stop hurting when nursing?! DD is 2.5 weeks old and I still wince every time she latches. I thought that after the scabs and bruising went away we would be golden but that doesn't seem to be the case!

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• @npaulie I'm a FTM & my nipple pain really eased up between the 2 - 3 week mark. It actually changed overnight! One day I just realized it didn't hurt anymore. Pretty amazing!!! 
  • @SienaC mines really didn't stop hurting until 5 wks for me
  • @jenny0228 yay for leaking boobies!! Haha ;) and for in home LC! That's awesome!!
  • @jenny0228 ditto to what everyone has already said. I know how you feel (defeated). 

Molly is not gaining like she should be. Every time I go to pedi and she doesn't gain or gains only an ounce I feel like a failure.  We are both doing the best we can! Good luck to you :) you are a great momma! 
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • @mecoats our pedi said breastfed babies usually gain about 5oz per week - what does your ped expect her to gain?
    Me: 32 DH: 34
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• @marshmallowfarts 1 oz per day. We had appt on Friday and she was 8 lbs 12.4 oz and went back today and she was 8 lbs 12 oz. she's 3 weeks old and dr expected her to be back to birth weight by now. (9lbs 2 oz)   

We now are breast feeding and then offering up to 2 ounces of formula. Hoping we don't have to keep the formula offering in, but want the see if it's making a difference. 

I'm also pumping the foremilk before nursing. 
  • @triwellnessgirl @mcdonald-bailey Thanks for the response, sounds like it varies quite a bit. Hoping mine eases up soon!

@serenity13 My baby is a poop machine too! I swear I change at least 8-10 dirty diapers every day! 

• @SienaC It took about 6 weeks with my first. The first month is the hardest. I would almost cry with DS1 when he would latch. I went on to be able to nurse for 15 months before I decided to fully wean. Hang in there!! 

I used lots of lanolin and watched YouTube videos of latching. I would positive self talk haha and say things like  "James.. help me out here. We're in this together and we're going to figure this out". 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I should add that when I started to use the Honest Company nipple cream (instead of Lanolin) I saw a difference in the healing of my nipples. I was also showering twice per day and massaging my breast in the shower each time, and icing my nipples after every feed. Now I just rub breast milk on my nipples after every feed (Wed will be 4 weeks)
  • @shines721 I do the self talk and talk to baby too! Glad I'm not totally crazy!  :D

• jenny0228 said:
    So I'm over a week in on a schedule trying to get my milk to come in, it was recommended at the hospital that every 2.5-3 hrs I breastfeed DS, then we give him formula, then I pump. The whole cycle takes over an hour. I've been doing it religiously- and we just got a baby scale to see if he is getting much at al from me. Last feeding he only got .6oz. 

I'm getting so discouraged. I felt like my milk was slowly starting to come in, too. My boobs are heavier and one of them feels crampy at times. They are firm the loosen up when DS eats. I feel like each day that passes it is more and more unlikely and it's making me really sad! Not only is pumping after every middle of the night feed getting exhausting but also I'm sad to potentially lose this connection to him. 

*LURKER*
    @jenny0228 I just wanted to pass on a few encouraging words!

1) I went through many of the same struggles you did with my first (infertility, failed induction leading to c section, and very slow milk supply to come in). Feeling like I failed at breastfeeding felt like the "straw that broke the camels back." After two months of nursing, pumping, and supplementing with formula my daughter began refusing the breast. By three months we switched 100% to formula. She is now a beautiful, smart, and sassy 2 1/2 year old. I worried I wasn't giving her "the best" but once I took a step back I realized the only "best" she needed was a mom who loved her unconditionally, and that doesn't come from boobs :-). 

2) I am a Feb2017 mom (mostly lurked after the first half of my pregnancy). I thought we were heading down the same path because I had a planned c section and my milk was very slow to come in. However after about one month of the nursing and pumping routine I now have a great milk supply and even freeze 4 oz a day. 

The crazy thing is I feel way more connected to my February baby when I bottle feed him pumped milk than I do when I breastfeed. I love being able to lock eyes with him while he stares up at me. 

I guess I just wanted you to know that it is possible to become successful even starting out with a low milk supply....but if you aren't you are still doing the best for your baby. 
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Super random question, but what's everyone wearing to sleep these days? I'm normally a tshirt and undies girl, but nursing with a tee is a pain in the ass. And I have two nursing nightgowns, but I'm always cold and they're both spaghetti strap. Any suggestions?
  • @jilliants I wear nursing bra and shorts to bed. Makes it a tad easier to nurse. 
  • @Jilliants I wear a nursing bra and a nightshirt like I did before my mom got me some nursing pjs for Christmas and a nursing nightgown and I wear those once a week too. I just pull my nightshirt up and the bra down to nurse it's working for us now. 
  • I wear a nursing tank, sleep nursing bra, and either pants or shorts.  I also have some cotton shirts that are open in the front...like cardigans but not sweater material (why can't I explain that better? Sleep deprivation makes words hard).  I wear those when I'm cold.  Motherhood used to have a ton of nursing tanks that are all elastic around the top and armholes.  I got a ton of those when I had DS and that's what I wear.  They don't have them anymore which is too bad because they are comfortable and easy for night. 
  • @Jilliants I wear what baby wears since wecosleep. So if she's in long sleeves I just wear a cardigan and nursing bra.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just wear a tank top and nursing bra. I don't use nursing clothes. I find it just as easy to do the double shirt trick (pull one up and pull the tank top underneath down).
  • That's awesome @npaulie

I sleep in some kind of tank with a shelf bra so I don't leak
  • edited April 2017
    npaulie said:
    Another one here for just nursing bra and underwear (especially with the night sweats going on!)

today I got DS to nurse on BOTH sides, for a full feed without the nipple shields!!! Forgot to bring them out with me and he got hungry, so I figured "well, I guess we'll try it!" And he must've been so hungry he didn't even bat an eye!!
    Great job !!! That's awesome !!!

PS What is with the night sweats???? Ugh!! It's driving me batty & really making me dread bedtime. When will they stop? What can I do to help it? I can't stand waking up drenched in my own sweat & having to get up & get my baby to nurse her when I'm soaking wet. Waaaaaaaah ....
  • How much are you guys getting when you pump after feeding? I'm just pumping once a day after morning feed to try to build a freezer stash and I got 4ounces. That seems like a lot right after a feed. I've had oversupply with this baby and worried I'm making it worse by pumping. 
  • 4 ounces is a lot, but if you plan on pumping every morning I can't see that it hurts. Your supply is naturally at its largest in the am. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mecoats great news! And if she hadn't spit up she'd probably be above her birth weight :-)

Question, are you saving the foremilk? Freezing or giving it to her in a bottle? Curious what they told you to do with it.
  • @Cbeanz I am saving it and freezing it.
  • @Cbeanz @mecoats you can definitely use it to make baby food or mix with rice cereal when learning solids! I've seen some people make soap with theirs - not my thing but totally still doable? 
    Me: 32 DH: 34
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• mecoats said:
    Success today! Molly gained 4 oz in 2 days and is .2 oz away from birth weight. We had to start supplementing and I started pumping my foremilk and it seems to have made a huge difference!! I'm ecstatic. Happy momma even though I got thrown up on before going to dr. 
    Yay so happy for you!!

• Wondering if anyone else is having this problem- DD will get fussy and act hungry so I will take her to the nursery and get situated with the pillow and whatnot, she will latch and suck for about 2 mins and then either fall asleep or just lay there with my boob in her mouth! If I try to unlatch her she will either start sucking again or start crying/rooting! This is especially frustrating at night when I just want to nurse and go back to bed! Any tips?!