February 2017 Moms

When your baby won't sleep

I'm so bored, is anyone else here?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: When your baby won't sleep

• Since it's 1:42 here and I haven't gotten to even consider sleeping, I've got pretty bored. I've watched way too much TV and am now bored.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We've come down with a nasty cold over here, so I've been sucking boogers out of a screaming baby's nose for the past two nights. No more than 1.5 hour stretches of sleep. Yesterday morning I left baby with fiancé so I could run errands and seriously considered napping in the Nordstrom parking lot instead. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh no! That sounds like it's been rough there @BourbonBiscuits. I finally got to go to sleep around 2:50 last night... but Austin woke up at 6. I'm currently pumping, and then my kids will get up in about 20 minutes to get ready for school.  
     :(  my husband wants to go fishing today even though we were supposed to talk about doing something for our anniversary that passed on Saturday, and he's been working the last 12 nights in a row. He's been leaving home at 6 pm getting home at 7:40 am. Going to the bedroom by 8 and not getting up until supper at 5. I normally tag along when he goes fishing, but with 3 hours of sleep and having to take Austin, I am in no mood to go. I will most certainly be in a sour mood today. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Happy anniversary @kswiger06!! I'm so sorry things have been rough for you too - I'm sure you're just exhausted. Does he always work nights that frequently? Sounds awful for both of you ☹️ Here's hoping once the big kids get to school that you and Austin can snuggle and rest today!!
  • Thanks for the anniversary wishes @BourbonBiscuits!! No, his work schedule is normally like a 2 days on 2 days off, with the exception of weekends. The weekends go together (Fri sat sun) so they are 3 days. But he took overtime to start saving money for some stuff. But he takes the overtime when it comes up, so there's been times where he's worked 18 days like that. It's not usually as bad, but with trying to stay on top of everything by myself with a little baby too, I'm starting to get pooped out. And if Austin sleeps today while the older kids are in school, I have all intentions of sleeping too lol.

I forgot to tell you, that I would definitely have napped in the parking lot if I were you haha
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We had theo's shots last week, and they've done a number on his sleep. I swear, I had like 4 days there where he was going 2-3 hours at night, but now we're back to waking every 90 minutes at night and soooo fussy during the day. As far as I can tell, the rotavirus shot side effects are basically the same as the rotavirus itself... but at least you know it's coming? And that it won't be trip to the hospital bad? But man, I have had an unhappy kiddo.

My husband has been really struggling with his level of sleep too, and I'm having a hard time not losing it at him. Saturday night, I was up every 90 minutes. The baby's crying woke him at 3:30, and then when he went to the bathroom at 6, I asked him to change a diaper. He spent all day Sunday complaining about how exhausted he is. I am telling him he is going for blood work this week, and if they don't find anything clinical, I am seriously considering getting a hotel room, taking my pump and a good book, and telling him there is enough milk in the freezer, it's his turn to deal with the baby from bedtime til morning.

@kswiger06 sounds like that fishing trip should be postponed for a good family nap.

@BourbonBiscuits I would have napped in that parking lot so fast.
  • @poetryandoceans you've had it rough having to get up every 90 minutes for so long. I'm sure it's really wearing on you. My nights aren't usually as bad as yours, but I definitely relate to the frustrations with a husband who has the nerve to say he's tired. I don't work, and my husband does. He works 12 hour shifts, but still when he's home, he sleeps to get ready for the next night. And when he's off he still sleeps. If we wake him during the night, he goes back to sleep within seconds, where I'm up for about an hour. I dont mind getting up alone all the time but when he says he's tired, he gets an evil death glare followed by an occasional rant. You can't sleep 7-9 hours a day all at one time and then tell me you're tired. Oh and I wanted to spend time with him and he was determined to fish, so I went and guess what? He didn't catch anything lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @poetryandoceans Every 90 minutes is ROUGH. I like your hotel idea. I think men forget that on top of the lack of sleep we are getting, we are also breastfeeding which is physically taxing and makes you even more tired. My husband has stopped saying anything after I had a few meltdowns. I can tell when he gets annoyed at times but he knows better not to complain. I don't wake him up at all for MOTN feedings so he's only affected when he stays up late with me if we can't get her down at a decent time
  • @poetryandoceans 90 min is brutal! My kid fusses non stop from between 6-7 pm to 10 -12pm and I just can't find anything to soothe her.  
     Thanks for the heads up on rotavirus vaccine uugghhh

kswiger - let's all go napping I meant fishing.  

• Omg @poetryandoceans every 90 minutes is brutal. Hopefully the side effects get through him quickly - was it the early part of last week that he got the vaccine? 

My fiancé hasn't had the balls to complain about lack of sleep, but he does like to imply that I'm complaining about being tired. We're really lucky that his job is super flexible with work from home, so he's home around lunchtime every day. Some days I'll go take a nap but some days I just want to be together and he always says I can't complain about being tired if I don't take advantage of sleeping all the time. I don't even complain about it though because I know how much worse it could be! Ugh I feel like a brat even being upset with him about it too but like, I'm a grown ass woman. I can decide for myself if I want to nap. 
  • Ugh so DD is usually an excellent sleeper. She usually wakes herself up to eat and then goes right back to sleep. Well last night, she decided she wanted to stay up and play after her 2AM feeding. Normally I don't mind, but I have to be at work earlier today and my allergies have been kicking my butt!  It was hard to be mad though because she was being so adorable by smiling and laughing at me and H :)
  • @BourbonBiscuits Yeah, it was a week ago today. He turned a bit of a corner yesterday, not nearly as fussy, and we actually got a 2.5 hour stretch and a 2 hour stretch out of him last night, so we seem to be heading back to his normal. Here's hoping that he'll start putting a few for those 2 hour stretches together. I would kill for 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep at this point.

And I hear you about the nap nagging! My husband does the same. I'm so thankful to have him home a lot, because it does make my life easier, but jesus dude, I am a grown ass adult who has grown a person, I don't need a nap schedule. Chill. 
  • Idk where to put this but it involves sleep so I'll put it here. 

I feel so bad for Ridley lately. When I hear him cry at night I have started feeding him in my dreams. Then I wake up all confused that he's crying still. I'm hoping he's not crying for too long before I realize it. 

Also evey time I wake up on my own without him crying I get this sensation that I'm holding him and I freak out because I think I've fallen asleep with the baby and that he's under the blankets. Again a lot of confusion until I realize he's just fine in his bassinet. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• @marriedhamstermom That "I fell asleep with the baby in my arms and oh my god where is he" dream is absolutely terrifying. I had it almost every day for two weeks about a month ago. I absolutely feel you. 
  • @marriedhamstermom I have the same sensation when I wake up on my own! It is so terrifying
  • @marriedhamstermom I had that sensation constantly until we moved him to his crib in his room! It's terrifying
  • That's great @poetryandoceans! You must have been walking around with a smile on your face all day just from getting so much sleep!! Maybe save the skim milk for your husbands feeds. lol just kidding, but really I hope it wasn't a one time thing and you can start getting better sleep all the time.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • That's so great @poetryandoceans! I hope he hit a developmental bump and will be giving you longer stretches like that for the foreseeable future. You deserve it!

@marriedhamstermom I also do the thing where I dream I am feeding my baby and then feel horrible about it. I just remind myself that dreams can happen in just a second or two, so he probably wasn't waiting for me that long, and that if he was crying extensively my H would have let me know. We're doing the best we can, and they'll be okay and well fed in the end. 
  • @marriedhamstermom I get those sensations a lot. I'll wake up to DS fussing and my eyes will close for another split second and when they open again I'm so sleep fogged I can't tell how much time has passed and if I actually changed his diaper and fed him. It takes me a bit to get my bearings but it totally freaks me out. I think I've only ever had one instance where I thought I had picked him up and fallen asleep holding him, that one doesn't happen as often, probably because I side lay when I breast feed. I really do hate that kind of half awake/half asleep feeling where your reality is blurred though, it's awful.
  • I love that my days start at 4:30. And by love I mean hate. So. Tired
  • Austin decided to vampire it last night. He didn't even think about going to sleep or even shutting his eyes until after 3 am. I'm not sure what time he ended up going to sleep because at 3 my husband took over because I couldn't stay awake any longer. Austin was being happy, he just wouldn't sleep and he wanted held. Ugh
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kswiger06 That's rough. Harrison has had a night or 2 like that. Once I had to pop him in the PNP and turned on the mobile and he was content cooing to his bears on the mobile till he finally passed out while I dozed off and on. (P.S. when I read "vampire night" my first thought was oh no, he's teething)
  • kswiger06kswiger06 member
    edited April 2017
    Lol I didn't think about teething and nursing! OUCH!! Austin bit down (gums only) and ripped his head away while he was angry once and he held on. He didn't let go. I was out loud saying ow ow, let go. I feel bad for everyone who gets bit with teeth. I don't hardly get him to latch anymore (I pretty much exclusively pump, I only try to get him to latch maybe once a week) but I have no interest in trying to get him to latch at all with teeth haha

@chef'swife
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kswiger06 that biting down with gums then pulling away move is how I ended up with mastitis. It raised a big bruise right away, and the next day, it was really obvious my duct wasn't draining. Little turd.
  • @kswiger06 that biting down with gums then pulling away move is how I ended up with mastitis. It raised a big bruise right away, and the next day, it was really obvious my duct wasn't draining. Little turd.
    Ouch! 
    Pregnancy Ticker