January 2016 Moms

Vitamin D supplements?

edited April 2017 in January 2016 Moms
Hi, 
do you guys give vitamin D supplements to your babies?  Our pediatrician had prescribed some for our daughter.  In Switzerland (where we were living) they give it to kids from baby til 3-4 years old.  I am now in the US and see that all whole milk seems to have vitamin D added in it so I am thinking I should maybe stop giving the vitamin drops while in the US as she may be getting enough from the milk.  Are American babies typically given vitamin D drops?

Re: Vitamin D supplements?

• l4rkl4rk member
    In Canada, they recommend them for the first few years. But it's a relatively new recommendation so not everyone knows about it or follows it. We never remember... The health nurse explained that the national guidelines were created based on data that included Northern parts of the country where they will live in near darkness for a good portion of the year, and that the rest of us probably don't need it anyway.
  • KFrobKFrob member
    I stopped giving them when we switched to milk.  Our Dr never told us to continue or stop, that I can remember anyway.  We have our 15 month appointment Friday and I will ask then.   
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks !  @kfrob would be great to hear what your pediatrician says on Friday.
  • KFrobKFrob member
    Our dr said no need for the vitamin D supplement with whole milk 
  • Interesting, I've been wondering this. My Dr has always said to use vitamin D supplements, and never said to stop at our year appointment (when I told her we're starting whole milk now). I'll have to ask at our next checkup which is soon I think. We live in Seattle though, so we don't get that much sun.