August 2017 Moms

Labor Photos

Is anyone having labor/birth photos taken in the delivery room? Are you having DH take them or a professional? I am having a local photographer who specializes in birth photos take mine. Other than the obvious shots of first moments, first latch, tests, clock, foot prints, bath, and first family photo... are there any must have pictures? I don't want DH to be concerned with capturing all the moments on camera and just focus on capturing those moments with his eyes. Anyone have any opinions they'd like to share? 
Pregnancy Ticker
Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Labor Photos

• I'll admit I was afraid to click on this thread. Not sure what my mind thought would be inside haha! 

Anyways, I didn't have labor photos taken. They would have been pretty uneventful (me laying there) for the first 18 hours. Then during my c section my husband seemed to capture photos and I didn't even realize he was taking them. Obviously they were just of me laying on the table (cloth covering what was happening to my abdomen) and then some of DD immediately after birth and some of her being presented to me. He snapped a few with all 3 of us, selfy style. I'm thankful he took the ones of her after birth since I couldn't see what was going on while they were weighing her and such.

I'm not someone who is big on professional photos for life events (maternity, newborn, 1st birthday) so if you are, you may want to look into hiring someone. I just do candids on my phone/DH phone. Hopefully I don't regret that one day lol. My mother has pics of one of her births happening. I never saw them but I knew they were in an album that was "not to be looked at" when I was little. Not sure why my parents put that in public space and then told us not to look lol. I bet it could be special if you're someone who likes to remember all the details of the day.
  • We are having a photographer, but we're also having a homebirth so it's more intimate to begin with. Not sure about what shots to get! Our most important are LO being born (no vag shots though), mine and DH's reactions, and her first moments of life.

Many birth photographers will do a "fresh 48" where they show up immediately after baby is born to get shots that don't include the actual birth.
  • Loading the player...
  • LSP87LSP87 member
    My photographer int he hospital was my mother who was taking photos of my son exiting my vagina on full display, unbeknownst to me. I only realized this a few days later after looking through her photos in pure HORROR.

I did have a photographer come to our home a few days later to get newborn photos taken. I will do the same this time. I will definitely want to capture the first moments of my son meeting his baby sister for the first time. The other stuff I'm really not worried about because I remember feeling really lost the first time around.

Everything is a bit of a blur in the moment. I wanted to capture everything, I was so afraid I would forget something..but then I had the stress of being prepared for the photos, the worry of possibly taking away the "in the moment" aspect of everything for my partner, etc. There is nothing wrong with having someone come in and take those special, intimate photos that you want to remember forever and save for your child to look back on, but if you aren't feeling it at that very moment, don't worry. I was glad I took some time before getting those pictures done, but whatever works best for you is what you should go with. 
  • DH was in charge of taking pictures AFTER DD was born. He did a great job!  A nurse in the surgical room took our first family picture (I look super drugged. Haha).  Things will be done the same as last time. 

We took DD for a newborn session when she was maybe 10 days old (I'd have to go back and look). Then we did the 6 mo and 1 yr milestones. Love that we have all those pictures. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Our hospital only allows pic/vid before and after labor. Not during. Has to do with legal crap- people editing videos to try and prove something was done that wasn't, and other protecting themselves stuff. DH will take pics and the hospital does have someone come by who will take pictures if you pay. 
    We are doing newborn photos a few days after DD is born so that will be nice, but outside of first meetings/ holding etc, I don't really want any of the labor part. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • ca17raca17ra member
    edited April 2017
    I did birth photos for my little sister last year, and I'm obsessed!  But I have to get a repeat c-section, so I'm not going to hire a photographer for that. Fresh 48 is a must!  I like those better than the posed newborn shoots.

*edited to delete photos, since apparently some people can't handle a placenta. ;)

• DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• @PinkPrincessPiper hahaha!  Okay, slightly graphic, but no inappropriate body parts showing. ;)
  • Great photos! I enjoyed them. But I have zero desire to have some of my own. 

We took snapshots and those are totally fine for me. I would rather spend my money on the posed ones that make me look perfect and clean....hahahaha
  • Yeah you might want to check your hospital's policy. For DD we couldn't take photos or video during labor. They have people on hand they use for after labor. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • pinkyswifepinkyswife member
    edited April 2017
    Not professional. My husband always takes some of the before and right after but NOTHING downstairs or really during. 

Not sure if this is funny but my first labor I had my son 20 minutes after I got to the hospital. It was crazy like a movie and everyone was frantic so we only got a picture of my husband totally freaked out with my little guy right after. 

My second I got an epidural so it was calm and took a few hours. My husband took more pictures and during pushing it was so mellow he started to peek at the head coming out but I locked that down QUICK. We did get some cool ones RIGHT after but I don't show anyone because I'm pretty naked and placenta is seen. No one wants to see that. 

My girlfriend came by the next morning and got some cute ones of my husband and I holding baby which I liked. 
  • Honestly, I think the labor photos are super helpful for FTMs like myself to see...(I've been stalking Instagram actually)... oh, I'm wrong that life isn't like the Johnson & Johnson commercials and you're not going to give me a perfectly clean, perfectly swaddled and capped baby... you're going to give me a goopy baby? Ok, now I'm prepared. 

But would I have professional photos done of myself, heck no. If DH and I take some on our cell phones once everyone's clean and presentable, that's cool. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • NxyNxy member
    @DeansGirl14 just watch a couple live birth videos then you'll know exactly what kind of ...goop to expect 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • middy411middy411 member
    edited April 2017
    @DeansGirl14 They gave me my baby clean... well, heavily wiped off and with a cap. That's after holding her up for me to see like Simba with all the goop hanging off (c section) lol.

ETA: I say Simba but she looked more like Rafikki...
  • I remember when they laid her on me all goopy etc she was SO warm, almost thought I peed myself! I have no idea why but I just wasn't expecting that. She also was screaming/crying for like an hour. It kind of scared me because she wouldn't stop crying (but better sound then NO crying) and I was trying to breast feed and she wouldnt even attempt. The midwife said that because it was such a fast delivery those babies tend to cry a lot after birth and they aren't exactly sure why...maybe just a shock to their system or something.

But all was fine. She calmed after a lot of skin to skin both me and my husband. And then quickly got interested in breastfeeding after that.
  • I am sure this is not the norm but DS did not have much goop on him, so it is possible not to have it.  Even the nursers were surprised with how clean he was. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I met with a couple birth photographers because I really wanted one.  But they are SOOO dang expensive. In my area they are around $700-800.  My step sister took our cousin's picture's so I think I may see if she can do that for me.  I just can't see paying $800 when all i REALLY want is pics of first time DH sees baby, first time I see baby, first family pic, etc.  I hope it's not a decision I regret down the road, but financially it was just crazy lol.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I met with a couple birth photographers because I really wanted one.  But they are SOOO dang expensive. In my area they are around $700-800.  My step sister took our cousin's picture's so I think I may see if she can do that for me.  I just can't see paying $800 when all i REALLY want is pics of first time DH sees baby, first time I see baby, first family pic, etc.  I hope it's not a decision I regret down the road, but financially it was just crazy lol.
    Huh, I'm actually not surprised by that cost. Who knows how long the labor/birth will last, right? Wedding photography can be far more expensive and that's for like 6-10 hours of coverage. Good to know the ballpark though. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @NatSprat0703 I looked up a few in our area and they're $500-700. But then I got a quote from one I liked who didn't have prices listed and she quoted me $1200! 

So now by bff is planning on learning to use a camera so we can capture some of those moments. Wish we could afford a professional but holy expensive!