October 2017 Moms
Options

Prenatal Testing - Progenity Test

Has anyone ever had the Progenity prenatal testing done?  Since im 35 my doc is recommending I have this test done.  I have googled and seen where it seems to give high false positives for Turners syndrome.  Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this test. 

Ive also had karyotyping done myself with all normal chromosomes so I am wondering if I need genetic testing for the babe.
Kellie 35
1st baby
13w3d U/S
Mom to 6 and 7 year old Bonus Sons

Re: Prenatal Testing - Progenity Test

• Options
    I just had it done on Tuesday, and haven't gotten the results back. I'm not AMA, but yes, I've read the same thing about the false positives for Turners. Genetic screening is totally a personal choice and is not for everyone. Maybe ask your doc if they offer any other testing like the MaterniT21. You wouldn't want to get a false positive and be worried unnessecarily. However, if the baby does have Turners, I believe there are other genetic markers that can be seen in later ultrasounds to confirm. 
    Sorry I'm not more help. 
    October 2017 May siggy challenge - Parenting fails

DS-02/25/16
    Pregnancy #2-Due 8/24/17 MMC-01/09/17
    DD-Due 10/24/17
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Maksim's MomMaksim's Mom member
    edited March 2017
    I am not AMA and we've decided not to do any testing this time. I would feel this way even if I was AMA. We had two losses last year and decided it is not worth for us to find out and stress about the chromosomal abnormality or any other scary potential findings. I have so much anxiety as it is. But it is a totally personal choice. We did all of that with DS. 

I also am not happy with the false positives. That would drive me insane with worry. 
    Me: 30 DH: 32
    BFP#1: 9/9/2014 DS born 4/7/15
    BFP#2: 6/16/2016 MC/D&C: 7/29/2016
    BFP#3: 10/14/2016 (fingers crossed for a sticky bean)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is the Harmony test the same thing, or test for the same things? If so i had it done last week. I'm not over 35, and paid out of pocket for it. It was my choice in the end. My husband didn't think we needed it. Its completely up to you. I haven't gotten my results back yet. 
    \

• Options
    In quebec the testing for genetic abnormalities,  i dont even know what its called, is offered to every expecting mother (dont need to be AMA) ... Free of cost. I dont know if its even the same thing you are referring to (sorry if it isnt). Its a scan followed by two blood test, a week apart. During the scan they look at everybody parts and at Nuchal T. I have done the scan and the first blood test during my 12th week. Did my second blood test a week later... Still didnt get the results... I dont know if my dr will let me know during my next apt... 
  • Options
    I am of AMA and we turned down all genetic testing.  I have every time I was pregnant.  Felt the stress of worrying about the % wasn't worth it.
  • Options
    I just got my Progenity testing done on Monday. Haven't gotten the results yet. I am very young (think early twenties) and was recommended to get it through my doctor because my 1st cousin has Spina Bifida and my husband does not know any of this family members so we were uncertain about his family or his past. 

Honestly, I am a little off put by it now. I feel like I was persuaded to take it to benefit the companies networking, not really for my own peace of mind. In fact, it has caused me stress because there are several cases of false positives for that test (which is only a screen!)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @VLillyV as a young first time mama-to-be you're influenced by advice especially when it comes from a doctor. There is no wrong or right choice here...it's just about what makes you comfortable. We refused these tests for our current pregnancy but for our first pregnancy we had them all done! In fact, second time around we feel more empowered to deny certain tests because after all, it is your body and your baby. Don't stress and be positive :) yeah, easier said than done! 
    Me: 30 DH: 32
    BFP#1: 9/9/2014 DS born 4/7/15
    BFP#2: 6/16/2016 MC/D&C: 7/29/2016
    BFP#3: 10/14/2016 (fingers crossed for a sticky bean)
  • Options
    I will be doing testing. I live in a city of 30,000 and if the baby was to be born with a heart deficit or anything of the kind it would mean a helicopter flight to Minneapolis and me waiting to be discharged and then driving 8 hours to see my baby. Unfortunately I know several people (not AMA) that this has happened to. If my baby would be better off being born somewhere else, I want to know about it.
  • Options
    Not sure if I'll be helpful but thought I'd throw in our experience. 

I'm not AMA, but we chose to do the Nucheal Translucency (NT) Scan and Genetic Counseling for DD and this LO, just to be prepared for any potential special needs. Everything on the Scan came out looking great and low risk for abnormalities, both times. Based on these results, and our Genetic Counseling appointment directly following the Scan, we chose not to pursue any special genetic blood testing, besides what the Midwives already include in blood work throughout pregnancy (which isn't anything beyond the "norm"). Maybe you could ask about the NT Scan and, if it's an option, do it and then decide to do any additional blood tests beyond that. Just a thought. 

The NT Scan only tests for a few genetic disorders, but I felt it was a good place for us to start. The Genetic Counseling helped us understand other potential disorders and the risk of our LO's having them, based on our specific family histories. 

I hope this is helpful!