March 2017 Moms

Breastfeeding rants raves and support

Re: Breastfeeding rants raves and support

• @Cbeanz- I'm also being treated for mastitis. Hope you're feeling better very soon!
  • @Cbeanz ugh! I'm sorry! Hope you can get on the mend really soon!! Glad she would just call it in!!
  • Loading the player...
  • @Cbeanz- I'm also being treated for mastitis. Hope you're feeling better very soon!
    Ugh sorry to hear that. I hope you are better soon. It honestly feels like the flu!
  • liepertsmliepertsm member
    edited March 2017
    Just got back from a weight check with the LC. Jackson was three weeks old on Wednesday and still isn't back up to birth weight. He is about 2 oz shy...LC didn't seem too concerned and gave me some tips, but I'm still feeling like I'm failing my son. Anyone else experiencing this?
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Boy: coming March 2017

• @liepertsm no advice, other then please trust the LC! If she's not worried yet - you shouldn't be! And make another appointment with her (if you haven't yet) to follow up to n her tips and cover any more concerns. And NO WAY/you're not failing your son! You are doing an amazing job!! 
  • liepertsm said:
    Just got back from a weight check with the LC. Jackson was three weeks old on Wednesday and still isn't back up to birth weight. He is about 2 oz shy...LC didn't seem too concerned and gave me some tips, but I'm still feeling like I'm failing my son. Anyone else experiencing this?
    What tips did she give?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • She suggested that I pump three times a day if I can and give that to him between feedings, gave me a list of foods that would boost supply and has me taking fish oil.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @Cbeanz & @CoconutKisses21 get better soon!! Glad you didn't wait!! 
    Me: 32 DH: 34
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• liepertsm said:
    She suggested that I pump three times a day if I can and give that to him between feedings, gave me a list of foods that would boost supply and has me taking fish oil.

Are you feeding on demand. That makes "between feedings" seem a little weird, right? 

Additional tips:
    - wake your lo to eat every two hours in the day and at least every 3 at night
    - when your lo latches, they need to open their mouth wide. Wait for your baby to open wide before letting her take your nip...you have to be patient. Sometimes you could use a finger to guide her lower jaw more open. 
    - check out the upper lip flip
    - if latch is poor, unlatch and start over...don't practice the bad habit
    - try laid back nursing to get a deeper latch
    - schedule additional weight checks with your of or pediatrician. Maybe even a weighted feed to check milk transfer. If baby is falling in the percentiles, don't be afraid to offer formula as a "dessert" after nursing while you are work8my to build supplu

I'm not sure pumping is the answer unles you are trying to boost supply. In which case pump about a half hour after your lo nurses or pump one breast while your lo nurses the other side Then just nurse again....don't offer the pumped milk in place of a feeding. That would be counterproductive in boosting supply. You could offer afterwards, kind of like dessert. "Between feedings" doesn't make sense....it just is a feeding then. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • liepertsm said:
    She suggested that I pump three times a day if I can and give that to him between feedings, gave me a list of foods that would boost supply and has me taking fish oil.

Are you feeding on demand. That makes "between feedings" seem a little weird, right? 

Additional tips:
    - wake your lo to eat every two hours in the day and at least every 3 at night
    - when your lo latches, they need to open their mouth wide. Wait for your baby to open wide before letting her take your nip...you have to be patient. Sometimes you could use a finger to guide her lower jaw more open. 
    - check out the upper lip flip
    - if latch is poor, unlatch and start over...don't practice the bad habit
    - try laid back nursing to get a deeper latch
    - schedule additional weight checks with your of or pediatrician. Maybe even a weighted feed to check milk transfer. If baby is falling in the percentiles, don't be afraid to offer formula as a "dessert" after nursing while you are work8my to build supplu

I'm not sure pumping is the answer unles you are trying to boost supply. In which case pump about a half hour after your lo nurses or pump one breast while your lo nurses the other side Then just nurse again....don't offer the pumped milk in place of a feeding. That would be counterproductive in boosting supply. You could offer afterwards, kind of like dessert. "Between feedings" doesn't make sense....it just is a feeding then. 
    Thank you for the additional tips!

"Between feedings" was the wrong word choice...In addition to feedings is more like it. It has been more like you said, a dessert. We are feeding on demand during the day which is at least every three hours, sometimes every hour and a half-two hours.We have been waking him up every three hours at night too.

I have a standing appointment with the LC to get him weighed every week until his weight is up. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Has anyone ventured into the occasional glass of wine or beer while BFing at this point?
  • Looking forward to my first margarita! 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Has anyone ventured into the occasional glass of wine or beer while BFing at this point?
    I probably couldnt do a margarita even if I wanted to....half a beer makes me sleepy.
    But yeah, I craved beer BAD when I wad pregnant, which is funny because I donh even like beer. The first day back from the hospital I made my husband go out to but me some shocktops!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    I had one beer about a week ago. It was worth the wait. But that's it so far. DH wanted me to pump and dump afterwards and made a huge deal about it so I'll be waiting to have another. I'm not wasting anymore breast milk. 
    I had one beer about a week ago. It was worth the wait. But that's it so far. DH wanted me to pump and dump afterwards and made a huge deal about it so I'll be waiting to have another. I'm not wasting anymore breast milk. 
    For your DH
    Discusses how alcohol clears from your bm just as your blood, so no need to pump and dump. 

https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/alcohol/

Also:
    https://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/the_kids/2014/12/breast_feeding_and_alcohol_it_s_fine_to_drink_while_nursing.html

And the hump even has an article on it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm sure this is somewhere in the threads, but anyone have any recommendations for nursing tops that aren't nursing tanks?  
  • @jilliants i have the same question!   Dying for non tank options
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Spartanrd4Spartanrd4 member
    edited April 2017
    @Jilliants motherhood maternity actually has some cute nursing tops, I got a black 3/4 sleeve shirt that is kind of flowy and you pull part of the shirt aside and there is a hidden open panel, no one would ever tell it was a nursing shirt. Hoping to get more like that. 
  • Latched Mama has a couple of styles.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I saw some nursing shirts at Motherhood.  I got a couple on clearance right before I had LO.  They are Jessica Simpson.  They overlap in the front and are cute.  I do still wear a tank under them but you wouldn't have to.
  • I'm late to this party because DS is only 3 days old but I need advice. He wants to nurse constantly. I don't even think my milk is in yet and he doesn't want to sleep, only nurse. When finished nursing, he cries, today he hasn't slept since 9:30a. He's just been in this cycle of nursing and crying to go back to nursing. We have tried everything to help  him soothe in between feedings- different ways to hold, bounce etc. he just will not sleep. 

We have been in the hospital since last Wednesday and every nurse has given us different advice. The lactation consultant is on vacation ( this is a really small hospital) and we haven't slept at all in days. 

Hopefully my milk comes in soon and he will be more full and satisfied? 

When he does nurse he is a great latcher. 
  • @jenny0228 my milk came in day 4-but before that it was nursing around the clock! My little lady was ready for food! He's just doing the right thing helping your milk come in strong-I'm sure it'll get her any hour now! Just keep nursing for his comfort and bonding and the nourishment part will come 
  • Remember - they don't need much at all these first days! Just the drops he's getting is enough! 
  • @jenny0228 lurking from April. Have you tried a pacifier? Maybe it's the sucking he wants, and he can be soothed by something other than the nipple. I know people say it can interfere with the breastfeeding relationship, so I understand if you don't want to introduce one this soon (or at all). 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• @jenny0228 I literally went over 24 hours where nothing came out. Literally no milk or colostrum. I was pumping because of our baby being in the nicu. Then it started coming in and I'd get 3ml, then 5, 7, 10 and so on. It was sad and stressful. DS had a feeding tube and he had breastmilk put into his belly through that but he did have one or two feedings with formula until my milk actually came pouring in. It's up to you but I'm glad DS had the food he needed and if I could do it again I wouldn't change his food methods. If baby nurses for 20 minutes and is crying nonstop I'd offer a bottle too. The constant sucking though is normal because he's trying to build up your supply. But if your milk is taking longer than normal to come in (my first one it took SIX days for my milk to finally show) - maybe you need to get a baby scale and weigh before/after feedings to make sure he's getting something. You can also tell by the sucking/swallowing if baby is actually ingesting milk. Good luck - the first few weeks are the hardest but it does get better. 
    Me: 32 DH: 34
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• I know I shouldn't complain about oversupply when so many just want to have enough to feed their little ones... but this is tough too! I'm tired of soaking through clothes, always having a gassy kid, she's putting on too much weight with so much foremilk, and my boobs still are constantly engorged!  Today is the first day in 1mo, since I started block-feeding, that LO finally fully drained one side. Hopefully I can get a handle on this and balance out my supply sooner than later. I haven't touched a pump at all so I thought it would be better than with DD1, but it's not working out that way. 
  • MsTurneyMsTurney member
    edited April 2017
    @kjd291 do you find with all your foremilk that babys poop has become more green than yellow. That's what's been happening with my little one. I try to pump before giving a boob so that I get the higher cal milk and decrease the squirting lol but I still see quite a few green poops
  • MsTurney said:
    @kjd291 do you find with all your foremilk that babys poop has become more green than yellow. That's what's been happening with my little one. I try to pump before giving a boob so that I get the higher cal milk and decrease the squirting lol but I still see quite a few green poops
    Yep! With DD1 I didn't realize it was an issue-she had mucousy green poops and I tried to eliminate dairy and other things for months before I put two and two together. Especially in the first month as a FTM, I timed fed on both sides so I never emptied a side. The pedi had no clue what i was talking about and said she wasn't worried. So it wasn't till like 6mo till I started blockfeeding and saw a difference.  So hopefully I can be more successful this time!  Definitely talk to your LC to help you diagnose if you're having the same issue!
  • @kjd291 I'm with you on the oversupply. This has sucked. My kid always coughs and chokes, can't empty either boob then spits up and or gets hiccups and I now I have Mastitis, which is seriously no joke. I really can't remember the last time I felt so sick.

wonder if I should talk to LC about block feeding too.
  • @kjd291- thanks for the encouragement!  <3
    @catem07- we actually did try the paci- so many ppl say it can screw up BF but this little guy came out with a strong latch and he's got it down. He has a really strong desire to suck in general, even at ultrasounds he was always sucking on his hand or thumb. We didn't think it would be an issue for him and it hasn't. 
    @marshmallowfarts I'm so sorry to hear you also struggled with this stressful time. Thanks for sharing your experience- it helps to hear that so many have positive outcomes in the end. 

So the pediatrician came in today and told me DS's weight dropped more than 10%, and that we should supplement with formula. So that explains his unhappiness after feedings. Now that he has had some bottles, he is so much happier and so much more content! It was hard to hear that my body wasn't taking care of all his needs on time but since I'm still in the hospital they have me breastfeeding, then giving formula, then pumping every 2.5 hrs. 

Keeping my fingers crossed it works!
  • jenny0228 said:
    @kjd291- thanks for the encouragement!  <3
    @catem07- we actually did try the paci- so many ppl say it can screw up BF but this little guy came out with a strong latch and he's got it down. He has a really strong desire to suck in general, even at ultrasounds he was always sucking on his hand or thumb. We didn't think it would be an issue for him and it hasn't. 
    @marshmallowfarts I'm so sorry to hear you also struggled with this stressful time. Thanks for sharing your experience- it helps to hear that so many have positive outcomes in the end. 

So the pediatrician came in today and told me DS's weight dropped more than 10%, and that we should supplement with formula. So that explains his unhappiness after feedings. Now that he has had some bottles, he is so much happier and so much more content! It was hard to hear that my body wasn't taking care of all his needs on time but since I'm still in the hospital they have me breastfeeding, then giving formula, then pumping every 2.5 hrs. 

Keeping my fingers crossed it works!

Hopefully eliminating the stress of worrying about your little ones intake will allow your milk to come in :) Good luck!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This might be a silly question but how does everyone know the difference between "foremilk" and "hindmilk"? When DD is nursing I can't tell a difference in what she is getting and I'm never really 100% sure she has completely "emptied" a breast either!

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• @sienac I've been wondering the same thing. 

@jenny0228 I supplemented a few times with formula in the hospital just because my nipples were so sore and started bleeding and I physically needed the break. Once the milk came in everything was great and we haven't had to use formula since. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basics/foremilk-hindmilk/   Here is yet another kellymom.com article to answer the question. Hah.

basically there is no real difference-it's all the same milk, it's just got a little less fat at the beginning -more watery and higher in lactose--and gradually through the feed the milk increases in fat content. There's no moment it switches from one to the other--it's a gradual increase.  The waterier lactose filled milk is thought to be more of a thirst quencher and getting enough higher fat content milk helps digest all the lactose.

For the majority of moms and babies you don't need to worry about this at all! Bodies work perfectly to let baby get the perfect amount of milk with a nice balance of fat.  Only IF you have bad oversupply and baby gets filled super quick at the beginnings with only the start of the feed, high in lactose and not as much fat--baby can have more issues digesting and gain weight much faster than the average. ***its normal for BF babies to occasionally have greenish poops. So don't let our talk of green poop alarm you! Only if it's always green would you be concerned.
  • Great article! Thanks​ @kjd291!

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• SienaC said:
    This might be a silly question but how does everyone know the difference between "foremilk" and "hindmilk"? When DD is nursing I can't tell a difference in what she is getting and I'm never really 100% sure she has completely "emptied" a breast either!

Don't over think it. :) offer one side until baby is done, then offer the other. Repeat if baby still seems to want to nurse. Switch it up and offer the other boob first the next time. Watch the baby for nursing cues to feed on demand, don't watch the clock. Everything else is only important if you begin to see a problem. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker