Trying to Get Pregnant

IF/testing check in - week of 4/3

Anna_1021Anna_1021 member
edited April 2017 in Trying to Get Pregnant
This is a place for those of us who have already started TTC, but have started infertility testing and/or treatments. You can express your thoughts, feelings, and frustrations on infertility. TTC can be a long journey naturally, then add in the difficulties associated with infertility and it becomes a whole new ball game. The road to infertility can be lonely, frustrating, and complicated, so let's make this a place where we can vent, ask questions, and support one another.  Feel free to resurrect this thread at any point in the week if you have something to say, and treat this like an ongoing conversation. 

Diagnosis (If you've been): 

Cycle/CD: 

Status (WTO/TWW/TTA):  

What are you doing this cycle? (Testing? Treatment?)

How are things going?

Any questions? 

GTKY: Do/did you have Easter egg hunt traditions in your family? Would you participate in one as an adult with friends (or even strangers)?

Me: 33, DH: 38
Married: May 2015
TTC since September 2015

Re: IF/testing check in - week of 4/3

• Loading the player...
  • lundlund member
    @leekat14 FX for your! How long are your LPs typically?

@laurad75 ugh, so sorry you're going through this. Sending creepy internet hugs and good vibes for your next cycle <3

@Anna_1021 so glad you're moving forward with IUI!  And, I agree that it's probably best that your RE was honest and didn't get your hopes up. FX so hard though!

@madspunk ugh that's a tough decision, but sounds like it was the right call. I suppose over-response is better than not responding well enough!

@hartmich good for you sticking with a clean diet! It can only help, even if your body is being slow to respond. 

@LoveInDC I'm so glad you're getting great support from your family, even if DH isn't quite grasping the situation. In my experience guys just take longer to fully comprehend things like this. Glad you had a healing weekend <3

@wabash15 aaaaah so excited for you!!! But sorry about the anxiety, poor sleep, and sore bum. I'll be anxiously awaiting an update after the IUI!

@tamalahoops so sorry you've been having a rough time. FX so hard for this embryo, and I totally get wanting to get off the IF rollercoaster. *slight TW* I had a dream last night that I was KU, and in my dream i said to a friend "I have no idea what I'm going to do with myself now that I'm not consumed with IF and getting KU!" *end TW*
  • @LuND typically 13/14 days...So by Thursday I'll know.  I might take a test tomorrow because I have to go to the dentist and they might do xrays....

@wabash15 good luck today!!!

@hartmich I'm sorry your timing won't work out

It's so hard to know what to do. I feel like clomid/triggering isnt going to get the job done.  None of it is covered by insurance so if I'm paying out of pocket shouldn't I just start the IVF process?
  • @LoveInDC I love that your mil offered to go to appts with you. Thats amazing. RE appointments can be so isolating and lonely. 

@wabash15 My bff has 2 sets of twins. Her life is nuts but she handles it really well. Fx you hit the lottery twice!

@madspunk Dang! All the follies! It sucks to cancel a cycle but unless you're trying to get a TLC special I think thats the best choice. Fx for a better outcome next cycle! 

@laurad75 so much love goes out to you. Its definitely sucky. When can you start stims again?
    Me: 31 Husby: 36
    Married May 2014
    TTC # 2  Since December 2021
    Baby girl W born 2/2021
    Our journey so far...
    (tw loss & infertility)
    Diagnosis: Poor Egg Quality 
    Working with an RE since March 2016
    2 failed TI cycles
    3 failed IUI cycles

IVF Feb - April 2017
    23 eggs collected, 20 mature, 14 fertilized with ICSI, 4 day 3 blasts, 3 day 5 blasts, 1 PGS normal
    Transferred 1 PGS normal embryo 4.12.17
    BFP 4.21.17
    MMC due to small gestational sac 6.8.17

Our adoption journey:
    12.25.18 Agency picked and apps submitted!
    5.1.19 Adoption on hold so we can buy a house! 
    1.1.20 Homestudy process started
    3.14.20 First social worker visit
    5.25.20 Homestudy Approved & Submitted to Agency

6.1.20 Surprise! Positive pregnancy test!
    Healthy baby girl born 2/10/2021

•  @lund Remind me again what your doc said about your H's first SA results? Your siggy says 26 mil, which I was told by my RE above 20 mil is normal? 

@loveindc I went down the same rabbit hole regarding non-IR vs IR, but I decided I didn't care because I found studies that showed Metformin helped to lower miscarriage rates in both types, so I figured that means they don't truly understand how it all really works yet. 

• @lund OH yea, I would definitely be talking to an RE if I were you and I'm so glad you're doing that! Since 26 mil is kind of borderline, maybe for your H's peace of mind (and yours?) getting a second SA done could show higher numbers and make you both feel a little better! 

• lundlund member
    @vflux33 Thanks! Yeah, DH quit smoking about a month ago (was supposed to have quit about 3 months ago... don't get me started *eyeroll*) and I've been forcing supplements down his throat lol. He could still stand to lose some weight and exercise more, so we're working on that as well. Saving money on RE treatments and/or IUI is a good motivator for him to adopt a healthier lifestyle ;) I may wait until closer to the RE appointment to have DH do a repeat SA since he just finally quit smoking about a month ago and it may not positively affect his SA for another 2 months. 

@hartmich yeah I'm so glad that this doc is an actual RE, since I didn't think there was one within a 275 mile radius. I'm anxious to hear his perspective on the SA and our situation. (repeating myself because I was dumb and didn't originally put this in my post) I may wait until closer to the RE appointment to have DH do a repeat SA since he just finally quit smoking about a month ago and it may not positively affect his SA for another 2 months. 
  • @JuneRoseRuby So sorry about your day. That sounds very upsetting. Many creepy internet hugs to you.  

@wabash15 Ha! Oh man, I have not checked out the PAIF board and now I might have to go freak out while lurking there so thanks but no thanks for that!

@antoto Yay for no spotting! I feel you on the not religious bit. I was raised Jewish but I married an agnostic who was raised Baptist-- we don't come down on other folks for their beliefs, but we don't really mess with the holidays ourselves. 
  • @LuND Quitting smoking is tough. BUT will be easier to start exercising without all that crap in his lungs!
  • @antoto Thanks.  Yes, we will continue on for sure.  We are just taking a cycle off from meds and then getting right back to it.  
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• @JuneRoseRuby Oh girl your post hit me with all the feels.  I am so sorry that your weekend went that way.  Both of my sisters have LOs.  Watching your parents coo over your sibling's kids is honestly a really specific kind of hurt.
  • @antoto I know it's just so hard when the scale can be so motivating! Even if I just saw a drop due to water weight or something but nope, my body is literally the worst when it comes to that. I remember before my wedding, every time I'd go in for alterations they'd need to take the dress in more and more each time, but my scale wasn't budging (and was actually going up). It's just harder to see that kind of change in my body now when I'm already in my fat clothes (i.e. leggings)   :#  Hopefully you can get this cycle outta here soon so you can start the BCP. 

• @JuneRoseRuby Ouch, what a tough weekend. My parents saved nothing of mine (womp womp) so I'm glad I won't go through that. Do you think your mom has some stuff stashed just for you? I know my mil has all of my husband's special stuff, including the outfit he went home in, saved for us. 
    Me: 31 Husby: 36
    Married May 2014
    TTC # 2  Since December 2021
    Baby girl W born 2/2021
    Our journey so far...
    (tw loss & infertility)
    Diagnosis: Poor Egg Quality 
    Working with an RE since March 2016
    2 failed TI cycles
    3 failed IUI cycles

IVF Feb - April 2017
    23 eggs collected, 20 mature, 14 fertilized with ICSI, 4 day 3 blasts, 3 day 5 blasts, 1 PGS normal
    Transferred 1 PGS normal embryo 4.12.17
    BFP 4.21.17
    MMC due to small gestational sac 6.8.17

Our adoption journey:
    12.25.18 Agency picked and apps submitted!
    5.1.19 Adoption on hold so we can buy a house! 
    1.1.20 Homestudy process started
    3.14.20 First social worker visit
    5.25.20 Homestudy Approved & Submitted to Agency

6.1.20 Surprise! Positive pregnancy test!
    Healthy baby girl born 2/10/2021

• @kiwi2628 I had my first RE appointment a few weeks ago and had a page of typed notes with a bunch of questions in it that I thought would be relevant, but when it came down to it the RE had a specific direction she was already going in the appointment with a long quickly spoken explanation/spiel and there was very little room for questions. I was expecting more questions re: family history, but there were a few. The appointment went by fast--my RE does a vaginal US in her initial consult, I had already had most of the basic blood taken through my OB, and my RE also has a policy of getting a SA done prior to the appointment so we already had some sense of direction too, meaning that we knew, as she had not so politely stated to MH by phone that "I'm the problem" because his SA was normal and my ovulation pattern is all over the place. She gave us a ton of info at once and although I trust her judgement and feel good about our plan, I remember thinking that very little felt specifically tailored to me/our situation. I brought my recent printed chart thinking I would show it to her but never even showed her because it didn't feel like there was room for questions about that when it came down to it. Maybe other people have had different experiences, but I guess, based on mine, my point is: if you have 1 or 2 really important questions specifically about your medical history, write them down beforehand, and be prepared not to have the opportunity to ask as many questions as you think you will. Also make sure to tell the RE all vitamins and supplements you're taking because mine told me some stuff about that I didn't expect (she told me I was taking too much vitamin D and that it cause birth defects in such high amounts, said not to take Vitamin C, said to quit cod liver oil because it has too much vitamin A and that can cause birth defects too). Sorry for how incredible long-winded that was--hope you get something out of it! Probably would be shorter if you ask me in 6 months, but right now it's still fresh in my mind. 
  • edited April 2017
    @LuND Sorry I keep tagging you LOL.  But I just looked at your convo about morph. I think the reason why there is discrepancy on this is that because it's a percentage it's more dependent on the total count.  Like if someone has super high count than 5 % is totally fine, but if they have super low count then it isn't.  According to my RE (who uses W.H.O 4th edition) total motile sperm in a sample is normal if there's at least 20 million motile sperm in the sample. Also according to the Kruger Strict Criteria average morph is normal if it's 5% or greater.  So if your H has at least 20 mil motile sperm and also 5% or greater then it's likely the RE will say your H is fine.  

Edited to clarify sources.

Editing again because every darn time I Google it I find different results.  F it.  According to some sources my H is also considered low count, and in others he's not.  Whatever.  I guess you'll see what your RE says!
  • lundlund member
    antoto said:
    @LuND Sorry I keep tagging you LOL.  But I just looked at your convo about morph. I think the reason why there is discrepancy on this is that because it's a percentage it's more dependent on the total count.  Like if someone has super high count than 5 % is totally fine, but if they have super low count then it isn't.  According to my RE (who uses W.H.O 4th edition) total motile sperm in a sample is normal if there's at least 20 million motile sperm in the sample. Also according to the Kruger Strict Criteria average morph is normal if it's 5% or greater.  So if your H has at least 20 mil motile sperm and also 5% or greater then it's likely the RE will say your H is fine.  

Edited to clarify sources.
    Tag away! :)

And this totally makes sense!  Here's my DH's full results (I think our saving grace is that his volume is HUGE)
    In spoiler box because the pic is huge:

SA.png 982.8K
  • lundlund member
    @LoveInDC it's mostly the money. I'm pretty sure that if IVF cost $200 DH would be like "sure why not" lol. 
  • @LuND DANG that volume tho!!! LOL and yeah I think since he has less than 20 Mil motile sperm in the entire sample that would for sure be low - at least with my RE.  I really do believe that you will see some improvement with his lifestyle changes though!  So it's great that he's willing to make those changes, even if it took a while.
  • @LoveInDC Thanks, but I'm not expecting a more specific diagnosis at this point (though I could get another one, especially since I haven't had my tubes checked yet). A few weeks ago I was confused about a term my RE used, but have concluded it doesn't have an actual name. I understand how it works enough to be satisfied moving forward with our plan. Thankfully, my RE is optimistic so I'm trying to hang onto that and leave questions about what to call it behind. 
  • @vflux33 They were calling it "pituitary pause" right? Or something like that? I guess in some respects knowing the cause is better than having a name for it. Either way, I'm glad you have a way forward with some optimism. FX so hard for you.