August 2017 Moms

Baby names!

Re: Baby names!

• @brookedeyo I was thinking of pronouncing it like neekolie. The other kids are Hunter, Kaitlyn, Isaiah, Lily, Mason, and Joy. Just so stumped on n names I like.
  • @lmyrmo

I think Neil, Nico, or Nolan would go well with his siblings names. A friend of mine named her son Nicodemus but calls him exclusively Nico. 

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Mango517 said:
    @lmyrmo

I think Neil, Nico, or Nolan would go well with his siblings names. A friend of mine named her son Nicodemus but calls him exclusively Nico. 
    Yes Nolan sounds great with the other children's names. I have a Nolan so I'm partial 
  • @lmyrmo my third child is Naia, named after the Naiads. She's a beautiful and extremely watery child and by far the most calm out of the 4 I have so far! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • +1 for Nicholas! It's a classic that will never go out of style. Nicolai is also nice, but in my head I imagine him getting questions his whole life about a possible Russian background haha. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  •  I have a Nolan as well. Obviously love the name. We're having a girl this time and going with Maryn. 
  • Thanks for tips. Maybe we won't do Nicolai. Maybe it will be a girl and it won't matter ;) love all the names every is picking for their babies.
  • Struggling to find a first name for a girl. Husband wants Jane for her middle name now.... Not against it! Just struggling to find a good sounding name to go. Any suggestions??
  • Jane is a super versatile middle name!

Margaret Jane
    Rebecca Jane
    Mary Jane
    Olivia Jane
    Amelia Jane
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @anokoch what do you care most about in first name? Language/country of origin? Meaning? Number of syllables? First letter?  

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• The only name my fiance has suggested for a boy so far (and that he keeps bringing back up) is Odin, like the Norse God.  But I personally can't help but think of it as a dog's name. And he doesnt like anything i've suggested so far. So I feel like coming up with a potential boy name is going to be extremely difficult. 

My u/s is April 6 so we won't know what we're having til then.

I'm also having a bit of a dilemma with the girls name. DF really likes Madelyn/Madeline. However, it was his brother's DD's original first name. It's a very long, complicated story but basically a week or so after she was born they changed it to abigail, but still keep Madeline as the middle name. I feel kinda weird about using it if they used it first, although technically is it an issue anymore if they have since changed the name? Note, I really do think it's a beautiful name, but I don't want it to be a sour topic in the family 
  • My son is Grayson Jacob and my daughter is Tenley Ruth. Their middle names are from my side of the family. We are having another boy. I loved the name John Luke for a boy...those are my dad and brother's names. DH wasn't sold and he said he wanted to use a name from his side this time, specifically his grandfather. MH is 1/2 Hispanic, and his grandfather's name was Amalio Deanda Ramon. 

Had we been pregnant with a girl, we would have used Amelia as a middle name (feminine version of Amalio). 

We've decided to shorten Amalio to Leo, and use that as a middle name. 

Now we cant decide on a first name. 

Although I loved the name John Luke, I struggled with the fact that it was a more traditional name, and my other two kids have more modern names. 

Now I'm stuck on Daxton. We'd call him Dax for short. Daxton Leo Ramon...I like it. DH isn't sold yet. 

I also liked Rhett...DH says it sounds too much like "rat". Ronan was on the list, but I guess some character from something he watched had a "Ronan the Destroyer" and he says that is setting us up for a rowdy kid. LOL! He's impossible. Ronan also reminds me of the Taylor Swift song that makes me cry every time I hear it...so I'm okay vetoing that one. 

We could also shorten Deanda to Dean...but we haven't tossed that around yet. 

Naming babies is hard, y'all! LOL!
  • edited March 2017
    My son is Grayson Jacob and my daughter is Tenley Ruth. Their middle names are from my side of the family. We are having another boy. I loved the name John Luke for a boy...those are my dad and brother's names. DH wasn't sold and he said he wanted to use a name from his side this time, specifically his grandfather. MH is 1/2 Hispanic, and his grandfather's name was Amalio Deanda Ramon. 

Had we been pregnant with a girl, we would have used Amelia as a middle name (feminine version of Amalio). 

Although I loved the name John Luke, I struggled with the fact that it was a more traditional name, and my other two kids have more modern names. 

Now I'm stuck on Daxton. We'd call him Dax for short. Daxton Leo Ramon...I like it. DH isn't sold yet. 

I also liked Rhett...DH says it sounds too much like "rat". Ronan was on the list, but I guess some character from something he watched had a "Ronan the Destroyer" and he says that is setting us up for a rowdy kid. LOL! He's impossible. Ronan also reminds me of the Taylor Swift song that makes me cry every time I hear it...so I'm okay vetoing that one. 

What about Luke John? 
    Nevermind just reread and saw you need to incorporate a name from husband's family. 
    Leo John sounds nice. 
    I like Daxton. 
  • AdvoCyndi30  what about Rowan instead of Ronan?
    I know a Rowan at work and love the name. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My son is Grayson Jacob and my daughter is Tenley Ruth. Their middle names are from my side of the family. We are having another boy. I loved the name John Luke for a boy...those are my dad and brother's names. DH wasn't sold and he said he wanted to use a name from his side this time, specifically his grandfather. MH is 1/2 Hispanic, and his grandfather's name was Amalio Deanda Ramon. 

I feel like John and/or Luke both fit fine with Grayson and Tenley if you really like it! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm just gonna say, and I know there's a thousand-post thread for weird baby names but I'm putting this here, that DH and I visited a potential daycare this morning. We saw name tags for "Atlas" and "Lincoln." Huh.

In any other town I might have thought Lincoln was a fun name, but we live in Illinois ("Land of Lincoln"), and in Chicago where there's neighborhoods named Lincoln Square and Lincoln Park; also a place called Lincolnwood.

Maybe baby Atlas' parents love to travel as much as we do, in which case that's quite creative. But then I saw two different Quinn tags and Quinn is on our short list, so maybe I'll shy off that a bit.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @DeansGirl14 we just did a daycare tour yesterday... I saw a Lincoln (and we live in one of the 'Lincolns' you mention) an Oder (apparently pronounced oh-dare) three Addisons, a Wrigley and a Rizzo (thank you Cubs). 

TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • We chose Auden and Penelope for our twins. Pretty easily too, we didn't struggle too much with the great name debate.
  • We have narrowed it down to 3... Macy, Lyla or Audrey 
  • Anyone else keeping the name a secret? With DD, we didn't share with anyone until she was born and we will so the same again with DS.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • aehogan90 said:
    Anyone else keeping the name a secret? With DD, we didn't share with anyone until she was born and we will so the same again with DS.
    Yep. We did the same. I don't even discuss names I like or hate with anyone (other than online) we told them we would tell them the sex but the name was a secret. I didn't want opinions on names from family and friends because it didn't matter to me...also I wanted SOMETHING to be a surprise.
  • AB518AB518 member
    I'm terrible at keeping secrets, and I honestly don't care at all what other people think about the name I chose, so I don't even hesitate to share the name with people when they ask me except online.  (I'm still a little too private to share that information online.)  I love that people I know are already referring to him by his name.  DH and I chose a name for a boy and a name for a girl years ago before we ever actually thought about trying to have kids; we still love those names, so our minds are not going to change at this point.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @belmont1785 that's exactly what we think too. It's fun to have a surprise. 

@AB518 for us it's not about not caring what people think. But for our daughter, we changed her name right at the end because the name we had before didn't fit her. I'm glad we didn't tell people because people would have referred to her by name already. Plus we like to get to know our baby before locking something down. That's awesome that you've had names already picked out.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @aehogan90 probably keeping it a secret for the most part or till much closer to the end. Otherwise, word will spread across to the whole family sooner than we want. In our gender reveal announcement video DH made a joke about the baby being a superhero like Logan and next thing we know word is spreading around to the family that our son is going to be named Logan!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 that's too funny!!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @aehogan90

We also don't officially choose a name until we see her. We try to get 3 names we like before we hit the hospital. 

• @aehogan90 We're also keeping the name a secret. I'm glad you brought up the point about waiting to see LO before officially deciding. I hadn't even considered that the name we picked might not fit when we first see her. For the most part, we're keeping it a secret to avoid pressure from each side naming DD after someone in the family. I can already hear my dad.. "It would mean SO much to me if you named her X"...   :s

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @aehogan90
    We kept the names a secret with DS (we were team green, and had a boy and girl name picked out).   Literally everyone in my family or DH's family is a teacher, so everyone has a name association, and I didn't want to open the can of worms with "Oh, I had a student named such and such and (s)he was such a nightmare, you can't possibly use that name!"  So instead we waited until the baby was born.  Since we had a boy, everyone asked what our girls name was too, and we told, not thinking about baby #2.  So now our families and close friends know our girls name is Hailey Rose.  We haven't decided on a boys name yet, but we've run a few ideas by immediate family.  We won't reveal our final pick until the baby is born.  Since we're team green again, at least we will have element of surprise with the sex of the baby lol.

Pregnancy Ticker

• We are team-keeping it under wraps. Our plan is to do fav three or so and decide when we meet her. But, we plan to lock down the middle name-as it will be after someone.. 
    My mother though-every time I see her, asks about if we plan to name her after anyone, and have we thought about naming her after someone.
    It's annoying because the person we plan to do the middle name after is my mom's cousin who passed right before we were married, my mom doesn't know this and I can tell she is pressing because it's what she wants. But I just want it to be a bit of a surprise and to have the middle name when we tell her.

Stop pressing/ digging for it. Makes me feel like we are getting pressured into it, even though we had already decided it and I don't want my mom to think we did it out of something other than our want to do it. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • I'm just gonna say, and I know there's a thousand-post thread for weird baby names but I'm putting this here, that DH and I visited a potential daycare this morning. We saw name tags for "Atlas" and "Lincoln." Huh.

In any other town I might have thought Lincoln was a fun name, but we live in Illinois ("Land of Lincoln"), and in Chicago where there's neighborhoods named Lincoln Square and Lincoln Park; also a place called Lincolnwood.

Maybe baby Atlas' parents love to travel as much as we do, in which case that's quite creative. But then I saw two different Quinn tags and Quinn is on our short list, so maybe I'll shy off that a bit.  
    My son is Lincoln but we are in Indiana. 
  • DS is Lincoln Joseph Howe (middle names from my dad and husband) 
    DD is Wren Joliann 

this baby is Archer Beckett 
  • I think DH and I have settled it! Our LO will be Michael Paul nn Mikey. Both fn and mn are our fathers names. My dad jokingly suggested it when we told my parents about the pregnancy but we just shrugged it off. Last night it clicked for both of us and just felt right. 

I don't think we are going to tell anyone like some pp. We don't care to hear other people's opinions or name associations. Right now, we plan to play it off like it's too far away and we can't find anything we both like. Closer to the end, I can see myself giving family members different names we're "considering," just to let them feel connected. We also both think it will make for a nice emotional moment for my dad when he meets his first grandson (FIL has passed).
  • We love the name Benjamin, but our last name starts with J. So his initials would be BJ? What do you guys think? Would we be just setting him up for being made fun of? Or not that big of a deal? I keep going back and forth!!!
  • @Kaityrj I know back in my day, kids would have noticed and said something. I don't know how school age kids are today though lol
  • Kaityrj said:
    We love the name Benjamin, but our last name starts with J. So his initials would be BJ? What do you guys think? Would we be just setting him up for being made fun of? Or not that big of a deal? I keep going back and forth!!!

I seriously LOVE the name Benjamin. Honestly I wouldn't care about the BJ thing personally.
  • Naming our daughter Glory, just having a problem with the middle name. I am thinking Elizabeth, but my husband isn't sure.
  • We're having a girl and after seriously 6 names we had on our list, we ended up choosing Olivia Averie! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker