Baby Names

German/Swiss Sibset suggestion

DH and I are hoping to expand our family soon, and have been talking names. Our son is Matthias Hans, and there aren't many other similarly strong, ethnic names we really like. It feels wrong to name our other hoped for children American names. 

Some names we have thrown out are Andreas and Heinrich, with MN after his father, Seppel. 

For a girl we have really only discussed Lisette. 

If we were to use American names, we like Vincent or Michael, and Robin for a girl, paired with German MNs. 

Any other ideas?

Re: German/Swiss Sibset suggestion

• Have you considered Conrad? I love Henrik but I think that probably is the same line as Heinrich. I also like Frederick and know a boy from Germany named Clemens who has a brother Pascal and sister Regina. I also really like Heidi for a girl.
  • @leighry Conrad is on our radar, it just doesn't feel like the One. 

I like Frederick, but DH brother was dating a Regina when he lived in Switzerland when he came home to visit and met his wife, so its a weird bitter thing and we aren't allowed to talk about her :D

Is Heidi too popular compared to Matthias? It is a sweet name. I should have included we have an extremely recognizable, common German last name and want to avoid there being 1000 already. 
  • Loading the player...
  • What about Hildegard? I have some friends who named their daughter this, nn Hilde, and I just love it. (They call her wildebeest with an H when she's cranky.) They also have a super German last name.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Mamabeagle I'm not sure about Heidi's popularity or how common it may be in other areas but I've only met maybe 2 in my 31 years of life. I love it!

I also like Ada, Hilda, and Adelaide (although I think true Germanic spelling has an h in there somewhere). We almost used that for daughter #2.

Dirk or Dierks is a guilty pleasure name for me.
    Also I like Johan, Gunner, and Gerard.
  • Otto, Ansel, I really love Frederick!

Leisl, Louisa, Heidi (I like, but is common enough in my area to have met several. I would say it's uncommon enough that a kid would probably not have another in their class).
  • Love Heidi. I don't actually know a single Heidi young or old and in all the name boards that I have been looking at only once or twice have I even seen it suggested or mentioned. I don't think it's common at all in my opinion.

other girl names.....Gretel, Liesal?
  • Like Adelaide and Ansel. 

Hans is too similar for comfort to Johann or Hansel. 

Louisa doesn't scream German to me, Gunner seems trendy with the other gun names. 

DH has vetoed Liesel because of nicknames, and I think naming a child Otto, Frederick or Hildegard opens them up to a tough childhood.  

@leighry if you like Dierks, you may like Dietrich/Dieter which have been vetoed for me but are pretty awesome. 

Thank you for all the food for thought!
  • How about 
    Waldemar
    Jonas
    Elias
    Florian
    Sebastian
    Thorsten
    Ludwig
    Aschwin

I'm not a big fan of Heidi. It just screams Alps to me. I like Lisette, you could use Liesl as a nn.
    Hannelore
    Inger
    Gisela
    Franziska
    Armgard
    Adelheid
    Hedwig

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I love Andreas and Heinrich.

Suggest
    Adrian
    Bertram
    Emmerich
    Florian
    Oswald
    Reinhard
    Roland
    Walter
    Wilhem

Wilhelmina
    Valerie
    Tatiana
    Sabrina
    Renata
    Nicola
    Leona
    Lucinda
    Isolde
    Ingrid
    Hannelore
    Gretchen
    Dorothea
    Cornelia
    Claudia
    Beatrix
    Ariane
    Aloisia
    Alwina
    Elvira
  • My DS is Dietrich (though I see that's out for you!) 
    MN is Alastair (Anglicized version of Alistair).

DS #2 will have the middle name Eberhard (I like it for a first name, but it isn't pronounced phonetically here in the US so that would create too many complications.)

Heinrich or Henrik are great!

Suggesting:
    Johannes (I love this but can't get DH on board - as a classical musician he refuses to name any child after a musician.) 
    Friedrich
    Alaric

I also love previous suggestions of
    Ludwig
    Sebastian
    Wilhelm

but there is always that obnoxious pronounciation issue of the Ws or Js in German names. 
    I have not looked into girl names at all, so I'm no help there! 
  • You guise come in clutch, ya know that?

@Bringmemylongswordho is Adrian actually German though? DH cousin is Adrian pronounced Ah-dree-ahn, nn Ah-dee, but I just don't believe him. And nobody would ever assume that pronunciation with that spelling. 

@Bringmemylongswordho is Adrian actually German though? DH cousin is Adrian pronounced Ah-dree-ahn, nn Ah-dee, but I just don't believe him. And nobody would ever assume that pronunciation with that spelling. 
    Behind the name says it is. It looks like it's one of those everyone uses it names. Btn does say the German is pronounced like your DHs cousin.

But yes, the pronunciation would be an issue most likely.
  • Roland
    Friedrich (DS has one in his class - goes by Fritz)
    Wilhelm
    Manfred (Manni)
    Alexander
    I love Andreas
    Christian
    Torsten
    Michael
    My favourite ever is Maximilian

Katja
    Beate
    Marina
    Anna
    Sabine
    Johanne
    Birgit
    Gretchen
    Franka
    Petra
    Nina
    I love Heidi!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Behind the name says it is. It looks like it's one of those everyone uses it names. Btn does say the German is pronounced like your DHs cousin.

But yes, the pronunciation would be an issue most likely.
    I will let him know he is right and I stand corrected!
  • @mynamestaken Coming in strong with Sabine and Marina! Damn. 
  • Anton
    Viggo
    Vladimir (I guess more Russian but I love it)
    Sven
    Brock
    Broderick
    Lars
    Ulrich
    Anton
    Viggo
    Vladimir (I guess more Russian but I love it)
    Sven
    Brock
    Broderick
    Lars
    Ulrich
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • So many good suggestions. I was going to say Marina. Really like that name. Hubbys german cousins are Hans and Heidi... Only ones to ad (unless I missed it) is Anders and Luca.. Swiss? Swissish? Haha... maybe not? 
  • My husband has a lot of german in him and our last name is 100% german. We went with Roman for DS as it has German usage and we felt it complimented our german last name. 

https://www.behindthename.com/name/roman

Red (30) & DH (30) m. 08'

IVF #2  Roman Carter  8/3/16 (40+6)

5 frozen embryos 

• So many good suggestions. I was going to say Marina. Really like that name. Hubbys german cousins are Hans and Heidi... Only ones to ad (unless I missed it) is Anders and Luca.. Swiss? Swissish? Haha... maybe not? 
    Heidi and Hans are an adorable sibset.