August 2017 Moms
Options

GTKY: SO Part Duex

Since we had such a great response to last week's GTKY, this week's is also about you & your SO! If you're engaged or married, let's hear your engagement story! If you aren't, tell us about your most romantic date!  <3

Re: GTKY: SO Part Duex

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DH and I don't have a very good engagement story. Basically we decided together to get married. We ring shopped together. And our wedding was also very basic, nothing over the top.

As we get older I actually find us getting more romantic. The birth of our first daughter I actually find the most romantic. It's my favorite memory of us. It's also little things. And I especially find being pregnant a time when he is more romantic. He is always worried about how I'm feeling or if I need help. And watching him with our 2.5 year old daughter just makes me melt every time. 
  • Options
    Kathryn0903  love the Derby story. My in-laws are big into horse racing and last season we were sitting next to a big group of people (at our local track). Same thing- they asked someone to take a group picture of them but then a guy in the group dropped to one knee and asked a woman to marry him. So cute! 

Our engagement story- we talked about the idea of getting married and DH said he'd take me ring shopping. So we went ring shopping, and I asked the jeweler about how long it would take to make the ring because my birthday was coming up. He hemed and hawed and said about 4-6 weeks. 
    Well, we had a vacation to London planned for my birthday and I didn't know whether to expect a proposal or not based on the jeweler's timeline. One day of our trip we went to the Tower of London, and I told him, "This is a big tourist place and it's always crowded so watch your pockets- make sure everything's secure." After the Tower of London we crossed the Tower Bridge and there were pubs to the left and a park to the right. I wanted to go to a pub; he wanted to sit in the park. I'm like, really? But I want Yorkshire Pudding. He insisted on sitting in the park and getting pub grub later. Fine. So we're sitting in the park and that's when he took a knee and brought out the ring.
    Turns out he was super nervous and paranoid he was going to get pick-pocketed, thanks to my comment, with an expensive piece of jewelry in his pocket. Whoops. But nothing went wrong thank goodness. And I got my Yorkshire pudding later that day too. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DH and I had been together for almost 6 years when he proposed. He was going to to sooner but my parents got a divorce and afterwards I had said I'm never getting married if my parents can't even stay married. I was a year and a half out from graduating when he proposed because I said I wouldn't get married while still in college.
    I knew he was going to propose at some point because after he sold his truck, not all of the money made it in his bank account. He decided one day that we were going to go sledding except when we went to pickup sleds, no one had them in January! So he decided well let's just go for a hike in the mountains. Whatever that's fine, I like doing that. Except when we got there, my best friend was there and he was like oh I forgot to tell you I invited her to go sledding with us. Uh okay. So we're walking along a trail and we reach the end and are going back. I'm not paying attention to anything other than my dogs and don't hear him saying my name. Finally he just uses my dogs emergency recall word to get her to come to him so I turn around and there he is on one knee. There's no pictures of that because apparently there was a miscommunication between him and my friend at which big tree he was going to propose at. Either way it seemed perfect!
    He didn't know my ring size so we had to get it taken down 2 sizes. That was a fiasco. The jeweler said 2 weeks, we called and they hadn't even sent it for resizing after 2 weeks! Just for fun we went into another store and he found a ring he would have rather gave me, which I do like a lot better. Plus, we found out that the first ring was the same as the ring his cousin gave his wife! Yikes lol
  • Options
    Ours is simple. We were living in different towns, and one weekend he came to visit me. After dinner and movie date, he asked me to marry him while watching the Olympics on the couch. We had already been talking about moving in together and getting married, so no big surprise--which was perfect. I also picked out a ring after the fact.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Just for fun we went into another store and he found a ring he would have rather gave me, which I do like a lot better. Plus, we found out that the first ring was the same as the ring his cousin gave his wife! Yikes lol
    I'm glad the ring switch worked out!
    The bolded reminds me of my BFF. I have never and would never say this to her but... so she and her husband were dating for 9 years before he proposed, with a few ring-shopping bouts in there in the later years that never resulted in a proposal. Plus, the guy is the most indecisive person I've ever met, in all ways. His older brother dated his respective now-wife for 11 years before proposing. My BFF privately, to me, criticized that woman's engagement ring because a) she thought it was way too blingy for the woman's down-to-earth style and personality and b) according to family gossip the brother borrowed money from his parents to pay for it. I adore my BFF but I think this was said out of jealousy.
    So a few years after she bitches about that ring she gets proposed to. Her shower was the first time I met the sister-in-law to-be. Lovely woman. Wearing, I swear, the same damn ring. Ok maybe it wasn't exactly the same but there were certainly the same number/size of diamonds on that sucker arranged in the same style.
    So I'm sitting here in my mind thinking, after 9 fucking years of dating and how many ring shopping trips the dude picks out the same fucking ring his brother gave his own wife? And it's one my BFF had said was too blingy? (She always told me she wanted a solitaire.)

People. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I love all the ring insanity...I had a few friends get engaged before me, and I dragged them into a store to look at rings, at different times. They both thought I was weird, but they both ended up hating what they thought they would like. What they didn't know at the time was that their guys had asked me to help them out and ensure the rings they bought would be something their respective girlfriends loved. 

By the time I was looking around, I had become friends with the owner of that store, so she had a good idea of what I liked when the time came.
    It helps that when a guy walks into her store to look at rings, she hands them a beer and if their girl has ever been in, she has a notecard of what they liked/ didn't/ size, etc. if she knows. 

TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    @HappyToBeHere I love disney too, and I love your engagement story!  DH and I went to WDW for our honeymoon, and they did similar stuff for us.  We got the hats and a special basket in our room with romantic foods. We got pulled out of line multiple times, when they were looking for two more people to fill a ride, and got to skip other couples in front of us.  We even got special seats in the restaurants.  All of this was from wearing out hats and our pin! We got a cute photo of us with pooh and tigger, and we are going to hang that in our pooh nursery! 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Options
    @littlebug2010 - that is awesome; I have way too many good things to say about Disney. I love your Pooh nursery idea, and having your photos hanging in it will be so perfect!! 
  • Options
    DH and I had talked about getting engaged so I kinda knew it was coming - but this one week we had taken off together I really thought it was going to happen because we were going to Toronto for the Blue Jays Home Opener (baseball), gotten a hotel and dinner plans. But he had told me, don't get your hopes up, I haven't gotten the ring just yet so gave up that dream.
    I hadn't slept in for weeks because of work so having this time off was going to be awesome - the first morning he's trying to wake me up at 6am saying he has breakfast for me, rolled over to basically ream him out for waking me up so early whether he had breakfast or not, I'm trying to sleep in (and he had told me that it wasn't happening this particular weekend) There he is with the ring box on a plate - says nothing lol. I had to tell him I think you're supposed to ask me something lol. It was cute.
    Now it's 6:30am - no ones up to be able to tell them, we're too excited to sleep so we went to Denny's for breakfast since he didn't actually make any lol. 
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• Options
    Warning... this is supper sappy. LOL

At this point DH and I had known each other for 3 years, and had been dating for 1 1/2 years. We had a big date planned on Valentine's Day but at the last minute DH found out that his work messed up his schedule and he had to come in. He felt so bad that he said he's plan a little something for us the day before Valentine's and we could do our big date next week.

So the day comes. He picks me up, but then drives to his house saying he had to get a late reservation. So we killed time watching tv. He offers to get me some water and leaves for a bit. Later he calls to me from the kitchen, asking me to come and get my water. I go to the kitchen to find the back door standing open to reveal a beautiful set-up in his backyard. Candles in mason jars, flowers, and food from the restaurant we had our first date at (the same dishes we ordered). I still wasn't expecting a proposal, because it was a date-versary (we are one of those gross couples that liked to celebrate monthly) and he is just always sweet like that.

We finish our food and he gives me a valentine card with some lyrics from a song that was serenaded to us on our first date. Then there is a knock on the back gate of his yard to the back alley. Two of our close friends enter with guitars and start playing that same song on my card... and DH stands and starts singing it to me. That was when it dawned on me what was happening. After the song DH gets down on one knee, pulls out a gorgeous antique diamond ring, and asks me to marry him. <3
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @HappyToBeHere So sweet! And thank you for leaving a guest compliment for your photographer. My DH is a cast member and I am a former one. We always appreciated it when guests took the time to say thank you. :smiley:
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I used to figure skate so one Saturday while I was practicing at the ice rink, DH came in and had the staff pretend to take pictures of the skaters to promote the rink's Facebook page. After a fellow skater/staff member snapped my photo, he told me to come look and see if I liked it. When I went to look at the image, it showed DH behind me holding up a "will you marry me?" sign with a red rose in his mouth lol. I was so embarrassed, shocked, and in disbelief that I skated to the edge of the rink to get out of the public eye haha. He needed a little help getting on one knee in his skates and presented a fake 25 cent ring from one of those gumball machines. I literally heard nothing that came out of his mouth but just replied "yes!". He was expecting me to comment on the fake ring but I hadn't even noticed lol. So he laughed and then pulled out a second box with a ring much bigger than I had anticipated inside. I knew his budget so I was expecting a modest ring and wasn't sure where this beauty came from lol (turns out a family member gave him a ring and he took the diamonds and designed a perfect ring for me). Anyways our two best friends were there taking pictures and videos the whole time. Then he pretended like we were just going to go celebrate by getting dinner with those friends but when we arrived to the restaurant our families and other close friends were all there to celebrate. It was s lot of fun!