October 2017 Moms

Registry Thread

List of must haves, and total wastes.
                                  DD1 - 10/11/13                 DD2 - 5/07/15

Pregnancy Ticker

May Siggy Challenge: Parenting Fails
Image result for parenting fails

Re: Registry Thread

• This is a total sticky please @bumpadmin!!

• the key thing to remember is they are pretty much out of all that newborn gear by 3-6 months. so try and fill your registry for toddler/sitting baby toys.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • high chairs

I have this - i hate it, such a PITA to clean. It is nice the different combinations of sitting. but it is bulky and i dislike.
    Graco Blossom 4 in 1 Convertible High Chair Seating System Sapphire

wish i got this:

Oxo Tot Sprout Chair - TaupeWhite - Oxo Tot  - BabiesRUs

Pregnancy Ticker

• swings, my kids didn't care for them so it was a waste of money and space. but there are so many gimmicks. most (not all) of the kids i know hated that 4moms expensive one. your best bet is a standard swing with a front to back motion. but TBH i would recommend just getting the self rocking RNP.

Pregnancy Ticker

• CONVERTIBLE CAR SEATS! you will be done carrying that stupid carrier by about 8 months. register for 2 one for each car.

Pregnancy Ticker

• PNP/RNP/Swing - think about your needs. i thought you were supposed to have a PNP at ground level, for changing and napping. well they napped in the RNP or crib so we just used the PNP for changing. guess what, i can change on my ottoman and save about 5 sq ft of floor space. we do use the PNP for traveling. but in our case we didnt need the PNP with all the bells and whistles. we just needed basic one for travel (bells and whistles don't travel or store well). But likely you dont need RNP/swing/PNP all in the same room of your house.

Pregnancy Ticker

• monitors - they all suck, they all have varying reviews. i have no advice lemme know what to get. i do recommend getting one you can add cameras for future kids, and one that moves so you can scan the room.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @carries2018 haha I have that same high chair. DH insisted we register for the "fancy" one. I had a love/hate relationship with it. The different ways to use it was super nice (still using the booster now) but totally unnecessary. Luckily we had the room in our dining area but if you're tight on space something small would be better.

Don't register for blankets. You'll end up with more than you'll ever need, anyway. 

My DD loved her swing, and used it for a loooong time and took most of her naps in it. It definitely just depends on the kid. If you're getting one, I would suggest registering for one that plugs into the wall so you're not constantly draining batteries. My swing seat also detached so she could be moved around in the "bouncer" which was pretty awesome when I needed to go into a different room or upstairs and she was asleep.

I've mentioned on an earlier thread, I hated the Muslin swaddle blankets that most people love and just swore by the SwaddleMe Velcro sleepers.
    But I think I'm in the minority on that. We used "zipadee zips" after swaddling.

Baby shoes (though adorbs) are are pointless until they're walking. 

We still love our white noise machine.

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • bottle warmer you dont even need. i BFed and even thawing BM it gets warm enough in the water you are thawing it in. dont get trapped in the serving warm milk 4 lyfe cycle!

Also, if you FF, just use a room temp bottle of water to mix it in. 

• high chairs

I have this - i hate it, such a PITA to clean. It is nice the different combinations of sitting. but it is bulky and i dislike.
    Graco Blossom 4 in 1 Convertible High Chair Seating System Sapphire

wish i got this:

Oxo Tot Sprout Chair - TaupeWhite - Oxo Tot  - BabiesRUs
    Oh so true! We have that graco model in another color and it's such a mess all the time! Wish I had picked a simpler model. Sigh. FTM regrets. This time we'll know better. 
    Me: 30 DH: 32
    BFP#1: 9/9/2014 DS born 4/7/15
    BFP#2: 6/16/2016 MC/D&C: 7/29/2016
    BFP#3: 10/14/2016 (fingers crossed for a sticky bean)
  • Unless you live in the tundra, you don't need wipe warmers.
    Haha wipe warmers! Totally fell for that as a FTM. It kept drying out all the wipes and since we change diapers all over the house we would have needed like 5 of them. Total waste. 
  • On the topic of monitors, I'm glad I splurged for
    video. I like it even more now that she's a toddler so I know when she's not sleeping and I can tell her to go back to bed.

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Where is that old thread we posted stuff like this in before? I swear I posted my giant list of must have's somewhere on here already.
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • bottles - i have tried 23490824302 different kinds to help with gas/reflux (what my girls had...bad) nothing made a difference. Dr. Browns is a PITA to clean and even though i thought i did a good job i found mold :o i tossed out every bottle we had no matter if it did or not. i liked avent and nuk brands the best. easy cleaning and worked fine. i tried the playtex drop ins to get all the air out for gas, i didnt notice any difference and i hated them bc once you got the air out the bag was all distorted and you didnt know how much they had.

Pregnancy Ticker

• +1 on the diaper caddy still using it.

Pregnancy Ticker

• stroller - i have so much envy of my friend who has this stroller. it is $$$ but she got a wicked deal on it. but it is compact, so easy to get the storage under, i just love everything about it. if you are planning on dropping a pretty penny on a stroller this is the one you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Mamas-Papas-Sola2-MTX-Blue-Denim/dp/B00HBKOQG6/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1490894689&sr=1-2&keywords=sola&refinements=p_89:Mamas+&+Papas

if you are more realistic or whatever :p def make sure you get some compact option. if you want to get a jogging stroller as well (i like BOB) thats fine. but for every day you want something small to fit in your car/the store. i have this one i like it works with infant carrier for traveling.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=69963976&ab=BRU:bproduct_rr:Related:3

Pregnancy Ticker

• I want to add that diaper geanies are a total waste! We put one on the registry, got it as a gift, tried using it and then realized (just like this the wipe warmers) that we'll need like 5 for the house. Now we just use grocery bags and leave the poopy ones in the garage 
  • DD hated her bumbo chair and never used it, so that's completely unnecessary IMO.

As @carries2018 said, PNP is probably unnecessary. They only time we would have needed one is traveling, but both sets of grandparents have them for DD to sleep in, so we personally did not need one. 

Swings are hit or miss. DD used hers, but not that much. But I've known babies who hate them and others who love them. My best advice on these is to borrow/buy a used one.

We loved the muslin swaddles when she was really little, and DD still likes cuddling hers. As she got older, we switched to the swaddle me things, and those are awesome!

One thing that I didn't really think would be necessary, but we ended up using all the time, was a floor play mat like this: https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Babys-Bandstand-Play-Gym/dp/B014D4I9AQ/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1490895190&sr=8-5&keywords=floor+play+gym.

October 2017 June Siggy Challenge -- "You Had One Job!" 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    SaveSave
  • With swings, my DD only liked swinging side to side. So if you are trying a swing, get one that can change positions. 

@natleilynn, you're right. We did have a huge discussion of this in the STM questions thread I think :) 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Oct. '17 June S.C. "You Had 1 Job"

• We used our diaper genie a lot but I have a pretty small house. I really liked our Angel Care monitor. It would alert us if she stopped breathing and we could hear her. 
    I think the best thing we used was our vibrating recliner from fisher price. Super easy to move around and we brought it camping with us all summer. 

I felt like diapers were a waste to register for. We ended up having a favorite brand that we felt like didn't leak. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @spark88 the AngelCare monitor at the top of my list this time.  I wish we had just splurged and got one.  I would have rested so much better. 
  • Soft structured baby carrier! I used my moby when DS was tiny but we used our Ergo 99% of the time we went out with DS. Our stroller was a waste of money, I think we used it like 5 times and always thought it was a PITA and wished we had brought the ergo. But still also get a stroller because I am totally in the minority here haha! 

• I second the jumperoo! Ours was literally a life saver with my not so easy child. 

• mrs_fogue said:

For highchairs, we actually got this one and LOVE it!  So easy to use, so easy to clean and so easy to take with you if you're going to grandmas house or vacation.  It just straps to your kitchen table chair.  It's a Fischer Price Space Saver.

I registered for this one. I thought it was just the most genius thing ever!
    Me: 29  DH: 32                                                                                          
    Married 9/27/2014
    TTC Since 1/1/2017
    BFP: 2/6/2017
    Due Date: 10/13/17
    pangur_ban_by_sequana-d31ja7y
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I LOVE the Tommee Tippee rubber bibs. Love them. Less laundry and can just wash or rinse them after use. 

Didn't register for a video monitor but got one and love it. I like how I can see if he's awake awake and crying vs. Crying/whimpering in his sleep. 

Don't register for blankets, clothes, regular bibs, bath soaps/lotions. Those seem to be the go-to items to buy when people didn't know what to buy or didn't buy off the registry. 

We used our PNP a lot traveling. Our whole family lives out of town and we
    travel every June. 

We used the Bobby pillow more for propping up and tummy time than we did for actual nursing.

I would register for things for when the baby gets older and becomes a toddler. We did cups, sippy cups, toddler forks/spoons, plates, bowels, etc. Everyone will be so excited to get you baby stuff for the shower and when the baby arrives, these are good ideas for less things you will need as they grow. 

Ok, that's all I can think of for now!
  • i def didnt use a stroller as much as i thought i would. but i used a stroller A LOT more for 1 kid than i did for 2 kids. which i thought would be the total opposite.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Literally copying this from an email I sent my cousin when she was registry prepping:

1) Boppy Lounger
    2) FP Auto Rock N Play
    3) FP Sit-me-up chair
    4) Aden + Anais blankets for swaddling and their burp clothes/bibs
    5) FP Jungle Jumperoo
    6) Any playmat is a hit (but ones with keyboards for kicking or that fold up in a play pen are cool)
    7) Baby carrier (Ergo, Lillebaby, Baby Ktan, I see you rocking a woven wrap though)
    8) MamaRoo "swing"
    9) Graco Pack N Play
    10) Halo Sleep Sacks
    11) White noise machine
    12) Humidifier
    13) MAM pacifiers or Philip AVENT Soothies (soooooo baby specific though)
    14) Playtex drop-in bottles (soooooo baby specific though)
    15) Ubbi diaper pail (spendy but holds the smell real well, sleek looking too, no special bags)
    16) Boon grass/lawn drying rack and accessories
    17) Bamboobies washable nursing pads (or disposable)
    18) Bravado nursing bras
    19) Boppy nursing pillow
    20) Medela pump or Spectra pump (based on friends recommendations) - check with your insurance
    21) Hands-free pumping bra
    22) Zutano booties and Trumpette socks
    23) Nose Frieda snot sucker
    24) Oball toys
    25) JuJuBe diaper bags
    26) First year's bottle warmer
    27) Graco Slim Spaces highchair (smaller footprint than most highchairs and not as gaudy looking)
    28) First year's secure comfort toddler tub
    29) Munchkin waterpoof changing pad liners
    30) Any foam playmat squares

We did Chicco KeyFit infant seat and NextFit Convertable seat, we're a Pampers family for the most part.

I love stalking people's registries
    TTC x 1.5 years.
    Acupuncture, Femera x3 cyles, and HSG.
    BFP in September 2014, DS born June 2015.
    TTC x2 months.
    BFP January 2017.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • oh pumping bra! good one! you need that.

Pregnancy Ticker

• edited March 2017
    If you haven't discovered Lucie's List for registering tips - google it now
    TTC x 1.5 years.
    Acupuncture, Femera x3 cyles, and HSG.
    BFP in September 2014, DS born June 2015.
    TTC x2 months.
    BFP January 2017.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mrs_fogue  I put this on my registry like 2 weeks ago! im so glad to hear someone loved it. We live in an apartment and i thought this would be a great space saver.

For highchairs, we actually got this one and LOVE it!  So easy to use, so easy to clean and so easy to take with you if you're going to grandmas house or vacation.  It just straps to your kitchen table chair.  It's a Fischer Price Space Saver.

\

• Butt Paste. Just one tube is fine. But you don't want to be without it. It's like magic. 
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker