August 2017 Moms

Breastfeeding / Breast pumps/ FF

britvahokbritvahok member
edited March 2017 in August 2017 Moms
All things breastfeeding/ breast pumps and FF
DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

Re: Breastfeeding / Breast pumps/ FF

• I got my pump in style by Medela through insurance (Cigna). Took 3 days for them to process my order and ship. Cost $0. 

Does anyone recommend getting another pump for work/travel/backup? If so, do you buy the same pump?
  • I got my Medela for free through insurance too. I loved it. Also got a hand pump and it was the devil. We ended up FF because DD wasn't interested in nursing and I have really bad PPD and pumping wasn't an option. Hoping to nurse and pump this time. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Loading the player...
  • I updated the post to include any FF questions also.

• lwhrmommalwhrmomma member
    edited March 2017
    I had a Medela PISA with my first,  it was free through my insurance (United).  I do recommend buying extra parts  (tubes, valves, flanges, and bottles).  I also found it helpful to have a manual pump for emergency cases, and a car adapter and hands free bra for easy pumping in the car. 

I exclusively pumped for 9 months, and the Medela held up strong.  When DS was 9 months, I started to dry up and had to introduce formula.  Fortunately I had a big freezer stash so he could have my milk for at least one bottle a day until he turned 1.

With that being said, I will never EP again.  I don't regret it at all, but it's the hardest thing I ever did, and I just can't bring myself to do it this time with an active toddler and a newborn.  I'm gonna give 150% to nursing, and if it doesn't work, then formula. 

Hubby and I have also discussed nursing during the day and giving formula for MOTN feedings... this way he can be involved, and if he gives bottles, I can use that time to pump and stash.  

Pregnancy Ticker

• Anyone entirely formula feed from the start? I don't have any desire to breastfeed and have decided to formula feed. Do I bring formula to the hospital or will they have some there?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Anyone entirely formula feed from the start? I don't have any desire to breastfeed and have decided to formula feed. Do I bring formula to the hospital or will they have some there?

They have formula there. They usually send you home with some bottles too. It's ready to feed formula they supply.
  • I thought I was behind on ordering my pump, but the nursery thread mentioned insurances won't cover it and send it until later, so that makes me feel better. I planned on using Aeroflow as well. Mostly because I hate phone calls and they seem to do most of the work! 
  • @Kathryn0903 - I EBF (never thought I would, but wound up with major oversupply), but I think the hospital supplies formula for while you're there, and then, like @brookedeyo mentioned, they send some as well to get you started. It's probably a really good question for when/if you do a hospital visit prior to birth!
  • @Kathryn0903 I only FF. I wanted to BF my daughter but it just didn't happen. From about 2 weeks on, she's been FF. They will give you formula in the hospital, but you may have to be assertive and tell them you need it. They won't just bring it. Most hospitals now are very pro-nursing. But they will give it to you if you ask. We had to try several different kinds of formula and combinations before we found something that worked for DD. It is expensive, so be prepared to budget for that. I spend about $100 a month on it now. Only one more month of it for us!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @Kathryn0903 yes in regards to what @aehogan90 said, the best deal I found when I used formula, was Target brand. A container that lasted a week was $24, sometimes less with cartwheel/coupons/gift cards. A lot of people in my area, use Aldi brand because it's cheap as well. I haven't looked at the price yet. 
  • @kathryn0903 I only bf for 3 months. There are a lot of different types of formulas. I spent a lot of time researching different formulas (ingredients, special kinds of reflux issues etc.) If you don't want to bf I would suggest maybe start looking into different formulas. We used Earth's Best, I highly recommend it and it's so much cheaper with Amazon prime than in any store.

https://www.amazon.com/Earths-Best-Organic-Infant-Formula/dp/B001BM4JLC/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1490888202&sr=8-1&keywords=earths+best+formula

• BlackNYellowBlackNYellow member
    edited March 2017
    Anyone entirely formula feed from the start? I don't have any desire to breastfeed and have decided to formula feed. Do I bring formula to the hospital or will they have some there?
    My hospital charges for formula so make sure you ask at your hospital tour. They are considered a baby friendly hospital and do not want to give an impression that they are pushing formula more than breastmilk. Part of the baby friendly hospital initiative prevents them from accepting money from formula companies so I think that's why they charge new parents for formula. They also no longer send parents home with free formula samples (previously everyone would receive 2 cans to go home with). 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• edited March 2017
    I tried to BF/pump for 2 weeks and was getting nothing. We were having to supplement and I was having horrible anxiety. With great support from my obstetrician and our pediatrician DH and made the decision to formula feed. We started out using Similac samples and then switched to Enfamil gentle ease.  I would suggest signing up for both company's rewards programs because they send out vouchers that you can combine with coupons.  I found Kroger and Target had the best prices.
  • @smallbutmighty77 I had the Medela PISA with DS but I'm so excited to get the Spectra this time!!! I never thought I would be soooo excited about a breast pump but I've heard nothing but great reviews about the Spectra.

• budzynbbudzynb member
    edited March 2017

brookedeyo all insurances are different. I have Aetna and their policy is that as long as there is a dx of pregnant in their system, they will cover it. So I could have gotten it at 4 weeks pregnant! They sent me a list of authorized suppliers, I entered my Dr office in the supplier site, and within 2 days they got it shipped to me. I chose the Spectra S1 and the mfg warranty is 2 years (nobody could tell me if it was 2 years after the ship date or baby's birthdate) but regardless, 2 years is plenty of time so I pulled the trigger now.

The S1 is the same as what smallbutmighty77 got but also has a battery built in so it's rechargeable. Most companies charge $100 OOP for this option but it happened to be covered 100% by my insurance. Should be here tomorrow!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I found my insurance information and then searched a bit. I found an upgrade option and took that. I also kept a hand pump in my car for emergencies. (Believe it or not I forgot my pump at home once and my school is not close to a store.) BTW, All hand pumps are not the same. 

I nursed/pumped until two months ago (while working full time) So, hopefully I can help someone! 
  • NxyNxy member
    I'm getting the S1also my insurance covers the entire cost. I was told I can order it as soon as my doctor gets me my prescription for one but my doctor won't give me one yet.I have a Medela from last time and my body wasn't responsive to it at all. I'm hoping the spectra and I work better together.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @NXY I have thought about switching to the spectra!
  • @Kathryn0903 I second what @aehogan90 said.  I would actually go to Target/ wherever right before you are due and get one of the six packs of the tiny infant formula bottles there.  I planned to EP, but I refused to let my little guy be hungry until it came in (which can take up to a week, btw).  Their stomachs are tiny when they are born, but they still need food! So I told them I was going to pump for colostrum, but that we wanted formula until then.  DS didn't get ANY food until the next morning, probably 8hr after birth.  They had to have a doctor call in a 'prescription' for it.  This is normal now in hospitals that are 'baby friendly'.

Also, if you want to FF, own it.  Do not let anyone force you into another decision.  Fed is best, no matter what.  I got so much noise from people bc I wanted to EP, and not BF.  Was it easy?  Hell no, but I did it for 10m before my supply dried up, and I'm proud of that.  I had no desire to BF, period.  Ever.  Make sure your SO is 100% behind you on it, it makes it a lot easier.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • BTW, I'm more than happy to answer any questions about EPing that anyone has. :smiley:
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • NxyNxy member
    edited March 2017
    @Kudlica27 I figured since I've still got the Medela worst case scenario is I've got one of each 

eta: my Medela also isn't dual voltage so I'd either need to keep buying batteries for the pack or lug around a 220v to 110v transformer. The spectra is dual so all I'll need is a plug adapter which is waaaaay better. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I used Aeroflow(dot)com to order my pump last time & this time. It's a free service, and they contact both the insurance & OB on your behalf. I highly recommend them. 

I'm not sure if I'll even use the pump this time since our plan is to FF. @aehogan90 @Kathryn0903 I may pump the 5 days or so that I'm in the hospital (I'm having a repeat c-section), but I have to go on medication for my health soon after that wouldn't be good for the baby. I've breastfed all of my other kids, so this is new territory for me to FF from the start. Tips & advice welcome! And any BF questions, I'd be happy to answer. :)  
  • Fed is best. Totally agree. My daughter wouldn't nurse in the hospital so she ended up having to stay an extra 4 days because she was severely jaundiced. They took a full 24 hours to finally bring formula. I was so angry. I'm delivering in a different hospital this time.

@PinkPrincessPiper happy to answer any questions you have. :)

Definitelt wouldn't stock up on bottle or formula until you know what your baby likes. I thought I would be able to BF, no problem. When that didn't work, I thought pumping would be easy. When I realized I would rather stab myself than pump, I entered the FF world. I had zero clue on what to buy. It took several weeks to concoct a combination between 2 different formulas. I wish we could have used the cheaper brands but unfortunately her tummy wouldn't handle it.

When you try one, you'll need to stick with it a week or two. If you need to switch, you need to do it gradually. Enfamil and Similac (we used enfamil) are really good about sending coupons. Target would often give me coupons which was helpful.

Would not waste money on a bottle warmer or formula shaker. Do invest in a lot of extra nipples (but not until you know what kind your baby likes.) Same goes with bottles. Don't buy many until you've figured out your baby. Also, the travel dispensers are amazing!

Sorry for the book... happy to answer any questions. Whatever you do, don't let people shame you. My 11 month old daughter is almost walking, talking, sleeping, and is happy. FF kept my sanity and I was able to enjoy my daughter in the beginning and I will never regret that decision.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• LSP87LSP87 member
    edited March 2017
    Thank you so much for starting this thread! I was just checking my insurance today and it sounds like the ACA dictates that pumps must be covered. Mine will not be delivered until a month before my due date, but I have a few options. I can choose Medela, Amada, Lansinoh, Nature's Bond, Tomy, Spectra, Freemie, or Hygeia. I used a single, awful pump last time so I am really lost as to what to look for in a pump. I will be following to get opinions. I plan to EP but will supplement if I need to. Sometimes things just don't work out how we planned/hoped they would.
  • LSP87LSP87 member
    Has anyone used the Freemie Hands Free Collection Cups?
  • @Kathryn0903 agree with PPs about checking to see if your hospital is "baby friendly" (AKA kind of crazy obsessive about BF). Our hospital in town is and will require a prescription for formula. My friend delivered and knew she wanted to FF, but it was 8 HOURS before they brought her the formula, all while pressuring her to "just try BF while we wait". Baby was obviously losing its damn mind because she was starving. So maybe bring a little formula just in case?
  • Since Spectra S1 wasn't an option for me and I had to do the S2 which doesn't have the battery, I got the car charger. So that will help. I also ordered the flanges that can work for Medela shields because I heard people liked those better than the Spectra. 
    Shield etc advice??
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Guys, I'm TERRIFIED of breastfeeding, but I'm willing to try because I'm a FTM and have no clue what it will actually be like. 

What do I need to know?
    What books do I need to read?
    How do I do it? (Lolololol)

please tell me all the things. don't hold back.
  • I'm just going to say I'm insanely confused about everything pumping related. I tried to get insurance information online (when I didn't have time to call them) and it was a total fail. I don't know what I qualify for, what brands are good, any of that. 
    I do know I want something small and discreet so I can take it to work. We have a comfort room. I don't know if the room contains a fridge or if I need to hide the stuff in another bag in the communal fridge, but to that end, I'd like discreet containers. 
    I fully intend to BF until at least six months, more if pumping at work isn't a huge pain in the rear. I was reading something in the latest Fit Pregnancy about how to work in bottle feeding, how to work in formula if you're not getting enough milk, and it's all just overwhelming. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mrsmatt1212 this website is a great reference https://kellymom.com/ Most hospitals have LCs on staff that you will see after you deliver. I also recommend having a appointment with an LC a few days after you get home with LO.

• @mrsmatt1212 .. I didn't think I'd BF, ever, but the hospital insisted I gave it a college try, and it ended up working for me and DD. All you need to know is that if it's too much/too hard/not worth your stress, it is NOT a big deal to go with formula and/or pump if your supply is there.

There are people around (nurses, lactation consultants, etc.) who are willing to help, and so take them up on it. It's super weird at first to have people man-handle your boobs in order to feed a baby, but it's worth it in the end if you'd like to keep BFing.

No books helped me. When LO is feeding, make sure you massage from your chest bone down to your nipple as much as you can, so that you don't run into any blockages (mastitis hurts like hell). I had to do "switch nursing" where I'd nurse on one side, flip DD over to the other side, and then finish up the feed on the side we started on (ex. Left - Right - Left). Then on the next feed (a couple hours later), I'd have to start on the other boob (Right - Left - Right). That was just due to oversupply, making sure my boobs were draining completely, and making sure DD got enough hindmilk (the richer stuff).

BFing is very taxing sometimes, and it's okay to get frustrated. Just have resources (like an LC) available for any questions or concerns if you want to keep going. My LC was AMAZING, and definitely the reason I kept BFing.

Sorry for the novel!

• Would not waste money on a bottle warmer or formula shaker. Do invest in a lot of extra nipples (but not until you know what kind your baby likes.) Same goes with bottles. Don't buy many until you've figured out your baby. Also, the travel dispensers are amazing!

Regarding bottle warmers, we didn't even hear DS's bottles. I would pre-fill bottles with water and have the formula dispensers pre-filled.  I had 3 dispensers,  one in the diaper bag, one on the kitchen counter,  and one on my nightstand. Pour, shake, feed.  Makes it quicker at night and when you're out and about.  Granted it might not work if they go to daycare because my understanding is that bottles have to be already filled,  but DS would eat cold or room temperature,  so it worked for us.  

We liked these dispensers because the lid snaps back out of your way when pouring

Munchkin Formula Dispenser, Turquoise https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXN2PCP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_YFu3yb1FWAN1N
  • littlebug2010littlebug2010 member
    edited March 2017
    This is all awesome info!  Im a FTM and nervous/excited to try to BF.  My mom and MIL never did (late 80s and early 90s moms) so I dont even have them to go to for info.  

I know my insurance covers a pump, and I asked at my last OB appointment, and I guess they take care of ordering me the pump, so I will check with them at my next appointment, about which ones I can choose from.  I plan to BF/bottle feed as much as possible, but will be bringing some infant formula with me to the hospital just in case.  

Did anyone pump at work?  I dont know which pump I will get yet, but many need a bag, and I already take a pretty large bag to work with me.  Will I need to get another pumping bag, or should I be able to fit it in my work bag, and just have the extra cooler for the milk?

edit: I should add that I have no idea what extras I should register for (I am pretty sure that I will be getting the medela PISA, as I know my insurance covers it, but have to check with the hospital). DH and I are planning to start our registry and I want to add the pumping tools I will need. 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • @SouthernMama15 that's exactly what we did too. Made the middle of night feeds way easier. We used cold or room temperature water and DD never seemed to care. And we have those exact dispensers. People spend so much money on needless items.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @aehogan90 my niece was a diva and had to have hers heated. I was like nope,  not doing that. She just had her second and her mil looked at me like I was straight from the depths of hell when I told them to give his bottles room temperature 
  • LSP87LSP87 member
    @mrsmatt1212 .. I didn't think I'd BF, ever, but the hospital insisted I gave it a college try, and it ended up working for me and DD. All you need to know is that if it's too much/too hard/not worth your stress, it is NOT a big deal to go with formula and/or pump if your supply is there.

There are people around (nurses, lactation consultants, etc.) who are willing to help, and so take them up on it. It's super weird at first to have people man-handle your boobs in order to feed a baby, but it's worth it in the end if you'd like to keep BFing.

No books helped me. When LO is feeding, make sure you massage from your chest bone down to your nipple as much as you can, so that you don't run into any blockages (mastitis hurts like hell). I had to do "switch nursing" where I'd nurse on one side, flip DD over to the other side, and then finish up the feed on the side we started on (ex. Left - Right - Left). Then on the next feed (a couple hours later), I'd have to start on the other boob (Right - Left - Right). That was just due to oversupply, making sure my boobs were draining completely, and making sure DD got enough hindmilk (the richer stuff).

BFing is very taxing sometimes, and it's okay to get frustrated. Just have resources (like an LC) available for any questions or concerns if you want to keep going. My LC was AMAZING, and definitely the reason I kept BFing.

Sorry for the novel!
    THIS!

@mrsmatt1212 I wasn't prepared to have BF issues which was really crushing to me. I read some books..I thought I was ready for it and it just didn't work out for us. Just know that if you feel it is best to BF and you give it your best effort and it doesn't work out that you aren't a failure and your baby will be totally fine and happy on formula. I was left in a puddle after the on-call pediatrician insulted me for being concerned about my poor output and worry over my baby not eating. I hope it works out for you and I don't mean to worry you--I just don't ever want another mom to felt how I felt in such a vulnerable moment.
  • I will say I liked Spectra because it seemed smaller than others. The ones from insurance didn't come with a bag, so I registered for a cute pump bag. We don't have a room or anything but are moving offices before I go on leave and have been assured there will be a private room. 
    My bag has a small cooler bag that I hopefully can put in the fridge w/o too much awkwardness.

@DeansGirl14 I am with you on the overwhelming- do I need extra parts, do I pump after I BF because it increases supply? How long will pumping typically take, when do I transfer to bags vs how much to keep in bottles in the fridge...
    Sooo much! Prentice has assured me they have LC available who will come into my room, I plan on asking at my tour if I bring my pump will they help me, so I am hoping they will.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @SouthernMama15 that's dumb. I've gotten comments about it but I'm not raising a kid to get picky. They'll drink it if they're hungry enough.

For those that nursed, what did you do when LO started getting teeth? My daughter got her first 2 teeth at 3.5 months and I'm terrified of nursing a baby with teeth.
    Pregnancy Ticker