Baby Names

Inevitable NN

joforyogajoforyoga member
edited March 2017 in Baby Names
 Hi there, I posted previously trying to narrow down my list of girls names but I just have a simple question. Do you think if we have a daughter and name her Caroline that she will inevitably be called Carol as a nickname? I really don't want there to be any nicknames that pop up that I don't like but I simply love the name Caroline. In the past I generally gravitate towards names that are already short and sweet and don't have nicknames unless I really love them. What do you think? Will people try a nickname her automatically?

Re: Inevitable NN

• I have Caroline on our list and we would call her Cara.

I am in the camp if you dislike a NN don't use the name. Even if you don't use it once they are school you can't stop their friends using NN.

• FTW, I actually like Carol. I think it's underused 

• Loading the player...
  • I've never thought to call a Caroline Carol as a NN without her telling me that's what she'd prefer - they're two separate names in my brain, I guess. The Carolines that I do know that go by NNs go by Carrie or Cara.

In general, people will call your kids whatever you (or the kid) asks them to. We have a James, and people don't try to call him Jim or Jimmy or anything like that once we introduce him as James.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have never known a Caroline that was called anything other than Caroline. I don't think that people would call her Carol unless she asked them to. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Some names I think it's pretty impossible to avoid certain nn's. Caroline to Carol is not one of those in fact I've never known a Caroline to go by Carol.

• Thanks guys!  Just wasn't sure if that was one of those automatic ones or not. 
  • I don't think this particular nn will be an issue.
  • The only nicknames I've heard for Caroline are Care and Carrie. I think you are safe from the Carol nn!
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • The only nicknames I've heard for Caroline are Care and Carrie. I think you are safe from the Carol nn!
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • I have never known a Caroline that was called anything other than Caroline. I don't think that people would call her Carol unless she asked them to. 
    This.
  • I've never known a Caroline that went by Carol. Most are just Caroline; a few go by Carrie (but only by request). 
  • I don't think of Carol as a nickname for Caroline, but I agree with others that once a child goes to school, it's likely kids will shorten certain names.  Other than the ones already mentioned, I knew a Caroline who went by CeCe.  

We've always called DS1 by his full name, but this year in third grade, one of the kids he became good friends with started calling him by a nickname and it seems a lot of kids in school have followed suit.  I don't hate the nickname and he likes it, but I love his full name and IMO it suits him better.  I can't imagine ever shortening it, but I don't care if his friends do.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have never known a Caroline who goes by Carol, they are completely different names IMO
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • No, I know a few girls named Caroline, and none are called Carol. I think this is a pretty nicknameless name.
  • I think you're safe with Caroline! 
  • I have a good friend named Caroline. Never thought of Carol as a NN. Sometimes we call her Car (pronounced like the beginning of Caroline) or Caro (like the corn syrup) but it's mostly just Caroline. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• The only Caroline I know was an amazing person so I have nothing but positive ties to it. Her nn was Line.