Baby Names

Elias? yay or nay?

rosemommarosemomma member
edited March 2017 in Baby Names
If we have a boy I'm strongly considering naming him Elias Reynolds. 
The only thing is that my hubby and I aren't Hispanic and maybe it's usually a Hispanic name? Like naming the baby Juan or Diego?   They're great names, I just want something that will go well with Evelyn, my daughter's name, which is English or Welsh in origin. 

Re: Elias? yay or nay?

• saham07saham07 member
    edited March 2017
    I have never thought that Elias as a Hispanic name.........but I really don't care for Elias paired with Evelyn.
  • I really love Ezra Reynolds but husband thinks Ezra sounds like a girl's name so I'm looking at Elias because it's similar.  Also I love name Miles but hubby dislikes it. There are no boy names we agree on!
  • Loading the player...
  • I really love Ezra Reynolds but husband thinks Ezra sounds like a girl's name so I'm looking at Elias because it's similar.  Also I love name Miles but hubby dislikes it. There are no boy names we agree on!
        Are you only looking for names beginning with the letter E? 
  • I like Elias (and Ezra), though I am one of those people who don't like repeating initials for kids, so I don't love either with Evelyn. Elias is used all over, I don't associate it with a particular culture or ethnicity.

Have you tried highlighting names from the top 1000 to see if there's any overlap between you and your husband?
  • Yay on Elias, however I'm with @Bringmemylongswordho in that I don't like repeating initials.

What are names your husband likes and what are names you like? Perhaps we can come up with some suggestions based on that.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks for the feedback, guys :) I'm not specifically looking for "E" names but I do like them for some reason. 
    My husband hasn't really given me names he likes. He just knows what he doesn't like. lol. We both like Reynolds.  

I like biblical names and traditional names but I dislike names that are over used (Joshua, Micheal, etc). The catch is that I also dislike names that are so unique they start to get weird. It's a puzzle!

We both agreed on the name Levi two years ago when we were pregnant with our daughter but then some of our best friends ended up naming their baby Levi.  Is it too weird for us to use it now?  
  • Love Elias! It is Greek form of Elijah; definitely not Hispanic. :smiley: My nephew is Elias NN Eli, and he is the only one I know. 
    I had to laugh at Ezra sounding "girly" - it's a Biblical boy name. One of my best friends has three kids - two of which are Ezra and Evelyn. The Es were not planned ahead of time - they just liked those names. It doesn't sound weird to me. 
  • Like Elias and much prefer it to Levi.

• I like both Levi and Elias, but I like Levi a bit better than Elias :) Suggestions:
    Micah
    Boaz
    Thaddeus
    Silas
    Samuel
    Leo
    Oscar

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks for the feedback, guys :) I'm not specifically looking for "E" names but I do like them for some reason. 
    My husband hasn't really given me names he likes. He just knows what he doesn't like. lol. We both like Reynolds.  

I like biblical names and traditional names but I dislike names that are over used (Joshua, Micheal, etc). The catch is that I also dislike names that are so unique they start to get weird. It's a puzzle!

We both agreed on the name Levi two years ago when we were pregnant with our daughter but then some of our best friends ended up naming their baby Levi.  Is it too weird for us to use it now?  
       Personally, I would not use Levi if a good friend has used it. 
  • @ladylolly89 I love that they have an Ezra and Evelyn! I'm trying to do an E theme. I just keep finding E names! 
  • @FakeFinn Samuel is actually my favorite baby boy name ever but I can't use it because the nickname Sam sounds like a cuss word when combined with our last name. Super unfortunate. 
    I'm going to have to run Silas by my husband.  I like it!  
  • I know Elias can be a Hispanic LN, but I;ve always though of it as a biblical name first and foremost. I vote yay on it, though I also like Ezra. Either is a fantastic choice.

• I don't think of Elias as Hispanic. I wouldn't use it, because there are so many Elis, but if that doesn't bother you go for it. Have you considered Jonah? Biblical name that seems like your style.
  • Elias is a good name.   I don't think that repeating first initials is odd until you have 3+ starting with the same letter.  So I wouldn't side eye an Evelyn and Elias. Other ideas for you:

Alexei 
    Benjamin
    Edmund
    Hugh
    Isaac
    Jeremiah
    Judah
    Laban 
    Nathan
    Patrick 
    Reuben
    Simeon
    Tobias

• Thank you all so much for the feedback and suggestions!  
  • Its not Hispanic, I've heard it plenty from my Greek cousins. 

I find it a little tired and 2000s though.
  • I like it. Ezra is better... I'd second suggestion of Silas! DS is Silas so obviously I'm bias.
  • cantrelljacantrellja member
    edited April 2017
    I love Elias, nn Eli but wonder if the 's' ending on both the fn an mn is an issue? Makes it a little hard to say them together. Have you thought of Eric or Alec?