Trying to Get Pregnant

IF/Testing Check In - Week of 3/27

Re: IF/Testing Check In - Week of 3/27

• @KristoKekerooni WOW I was so angry at your RE office while reading that. So many unbelievable mistakes were made. I am so so sorry you couldn't do your IUI. What will they have you do for next cycle?
  • Loading the player...
  • @hartmich that is amazing, thank you!
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• @KristoKekerooni Well shit that's frustrating!  I'm so sorry that all of this is happening.  As if infertility all by itself isn't stressful enough...
  • @KristoKekerooni I'm frustrated FOR you just reading that. I'm so sorry. I hope that against all odds, today brings you better results.
  • @KristoKekerooni Wow what a horror story with the office. I hope your RE is so great that it makes up for it. This disorganization at your place would concern me a lot. Are there other RE's in your area, or is the doctor so amazing that it's worth it? 

As for my pituitary issue, thank you again for trying to look into it! MH and I did a lot of searching on our own last week and concluded the same: "pituitary pause" is not a real term. My RE said it with so much confidence it really threw me off: RE is kind of a character--very blunt and insensitive. For example, when she called MH to give him the SA results she actually said "you're not the problem: your wife is the problem" and several reviews online say that she said rude things like "your sister's eggs are terrible" and made negative comments about a few patient's OBs. I like her though--she is very no nonsense and her IVF statistics are 20% higher than the national average so if she occasionally makes up a random medical term or says something unnerving I guess I don't really care! And her staff makes up for her insensitivity. Anyway, yeah, nameless ovulation disorder. If it can be overcome I don't care what it's called, and my RE was optimistic about that so I'm not freaking out on it as much now that I've had some time to digest it all. Don't kill yourself looking for anything on my behalf, but it you do run across something useful, I'm all ears :smile:
  • @vflux33 - yeahhhhh. It's not an RE. The nearest RE is five hours away. I wasn't going to deal with that for "just" an IUI. This is an OB. Which, I mean, the OB is INCREDIBLE. I love him. But the office? No. 

I'm glad you like your RE. That's so, so important. And uhm, now I am interested so I am all about looking stuff up. ;)

TTC #1 since September 2014
    Diagnoses: RPL, Endometriosis, MFI (count, morph, DNI, DNAS, multiple bilateral subclinical varicoceles), low progesterone
    Check out my Infertility blog 
    Check out my Infertility Instagram

Loss History (TW):
    BFP: 3 May 2015, loss confirmed 4 June 2015
    BFP: 15 August 2015, loss confirmed 23 August 2015
    BFP: 16 November 2015, loss confirmed 22 November 2015
    BFP: 18 July 2016, loss confirmed same day
    BFP: 04 March 2018, loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    BFP: 12 June 2018, TWINS; D&C 06 July 2018
    TTC History (TW):
    3 losses in 2015
    Met with OBGYN in January 2016
    Me: all clear, H: OAT
    November 2016: HSG = All Clear!
    January 2017: H tested again,  High DNA fragmentation and stainability
    February 2017: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    March 2017: Clomid + HCG + IUI + Progesterone = SA/wash: zero count on attempt #1, <1,000 on attempt #2= BFN
    Varicocele Embolization- 5 May 17
    December 2017 SA: Zero improvement after embolization
    January IVF- 25 retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 3 frozen day fives (3AA, 3AA, 3AA), 1 frozen day 6 (5BB), 1 frozen day 7 (3CC)
    Three PGS normal (3AA, 3AA, 5BB), one inconclusive (3AA)
    FET #1: 27 February 2018, 3AA & 5BB, one stuck! BFP 04 March 2018.... Loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    May 2018: SHG/SIS = all clear "beautiful uterus"
    FET #2: 04 June 2018, 3AA PGS normal embryo, 3AA PGS hatching inconclusive embryo. 
    BFP: 12 June 2018, EDD 20 February 2019
    Ultrasound, 25 June 2018: There are two
    Lost Baby A 02 July 2018
    Baby B not growing, D&C 06 July 2018
    Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, chromotubation: 23 July 2018: blocked right tube, heavily inflamed, covered in endo. Removed right tube. Removed more endo from uterus, tubes, ovaries. Endo remains on bladder and bowel. 
    Next Up:
    TTC Naturally, possibly IUIs for remainder of 2018. 
    ER#2 ~Jan 2019

• @KristoKekerooni Oooooh I somehow missed that it was an OB. Yeah 5 hours is far. Well, at least the OB is good. We're totally OOP for the RE but were able to get a tiny bit of blood work through my OB and I love my OB too but it's a HMO and when we went to the lab the lab tech almost stapled MH's blood test order to my receipt and we were pretty freaked out. She also had never heard of the genetic test for Tay-Sachs and was asking other lab techs about it and that made me a bit nervous. 

I'm obviously interested too if you do see anything. I probably mentioned this before but if it helps to know for potential searching, my mother had hypoprolactinemia, which also involves pituitary disfunction. My prolactin level is normal, but I wonder if there's some kind of genetic pituitary thing going on here that I inherited but my sister did not inherit (she has not struggled with IF). Oh yeah, also I'm 100% Ashkenazi Jewish (hence the Tay-Sachs testing), which puts me in a historically isolated genetic group. Not sure any of that is relevant but it could be.
  • @zwink1 well the SA could be worse. Sorry about the kitchen. I know how it is when big price tags sneak up on you with houses. On the upside its good to get it all done pre baby...
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @wabash15 my friend is an ultrasound tech and I ask her all the time what the pubic hair trends are and she said, "honestly, I couldn't even  tell you". She doesn't even notice whats happening down there. Nor does she notice if legs are shaved or not. 

@KristoKekerooni I have such a hard time believing that your H's count would go to nothing when he had normal counts before, and its you on clomid and not your H. My H is on Clomid and they are monitoring his hormone levels for right now. We will get our next SA in May. To go from normal to zero sounds more like a tube blockage to me. Hugs to that horror story at the OB. I am so sorry this is even harder for you than it should be.  
    32 years old (both H and I)
    Dating 7/2008
    Married 7/2014
    H Type I Diabetic
    TTC 1/2016
    12/2016 mental break from TTC-NTNP
    1/10/2017 initial appt with RE (all BW results WNL)
    1/17/2017 SA DX Virtual Azoo (3 sperm 0%morph 0%motility)
    1/18/2017 STP tubes clear
    2/1/2017 initial appt with Urologist
    2/15/2017 DX H Robertsonian Translocation
    H is on clomid and Theralogix Supplements
    6/26/17 repeat SA: 47 sperm 0% morph 13% motility
    7/26/17 IVF Consult, repeat SA (4 sperm)
    8/21/17 Starting IVF cycle with Donor Sperm backup
    9/1/17 ER ICSI PGS: only 2 donor embryos made it to freeze
    9/13/17 Started cycle for IUI with donor and clomid
    9/27/17 IUI canceled for overstim
    October Plan IUI with donor and low dose clomid

• @LuND Wow you didn't have any blood work yet at all? For some reason I figured you had at least had a bit. I thought I had had not very many tests before IUI was put on the table as I said before but they at least checked my TSH and prolactin (and would have tested FSH if it wasn't for my pituitary thing). I had blood taken by my OB before seeing a RE, and only took a day or 2 to get results. So, yeah, definitely sounds like it's time to move on to a new OB. 

@TravelingCouple That sucks you missed the chance to trigger, but it's good to have a better handle on how you're reacting to the drugs. 

• @LuND and @Wabash15, I'm frustrated by the unanticipated expense, but kind of okay with having the excuse to remodel.  It's such a stupid thing though, this is all stemming from our leaking garbage disposal...

@safire3 We have not tried Theralogix yet, but my RE also suggested Proxeed.  Since Nov, my H has been taking Rainbow Light Men's multi, CoQ10, extra Vit C, and Omega 3's.  At the end of the day, an SA is really just a snapshot at any one given time.  Obviously, the efficacy of vitamins/supplements will vary depending on the cause of the MFI.  I am obviously not a doctor, but in my opinion, as long as you're not going overboard with the vitamins it can't really hurt.  

• @KristoKekerooni Omg I was so angry for you reading what they did at the OBs! So sorry for that. Like they don't know how incredible struggle it is already.. As for you Hs numbers.. it is so unusual that it went to zero. I hope they find the reason soon. (Or it will be totally normal today and we'll just write that off to the office's account)

@TravelingCouple so sorry you missed your chance for the trigger. Fx fir holding out on this tww. Also sorry to have missed (or have forgotten..) it: where will you trave? Is it for work or pleasure? Hope it will be for fun! :) 
    Me: 33, DH: 38
    Married: May 2015
    TTC since September 2015
  • @zwink1 Wow, a sudden kitchen renovation - I bet it's now what you wanted for your budget at this point.. On the other hand, hope it'll give you a nice feeling of accomplishment with every little step - I don't know about you, but I desperately need those these days.. :P (yesterday I was soooo happy to have finished a merging huge excel table. Felt useful again :D -- well of course today it turned out that my colleague did not do her job with it, so we couldn't use it today the way we wanted to.. but that's life :P)

@safire3 Sorry I know too little on SA to be helpful. Will you have a new doc appt to clarify what it means and to lay the next steps? Plans our good indeed ;)

AFM: just realized that with cd1 today (have I mentioned: "yay"?? :S )I will most likely O on the Easter weekend. Which, I assume, means we won't be able to start IUI the next cycle. I have no concrete information, we'll see the RE on Friday, but .. I mean I was already afraid, they won't do it on the weekend (but had hope they have a gameplan for that) but for Easter? Bet all the docs will be away for a vacay.. Bummed. Well, we'll see what they say on Friday, but my hope and attitude in general just plumeted. 
    And nope, I'm not a special little snowflake either (getting KU after HSG, just before starting assisted reproduction) :P :D 
    TTC since September 2015
  • @KristoKekerooni Hugs, I'm so sorry you have to go through all that struggle just to have that slammed in your face. :( Did they tell anything about the changing spermcount? Can you have a second opinion on that? 

@TravelingCouple What a great timing, FX! ;) 
    TTC since September 2015
  • @wabash15 - definitely working on drawing up a complaint. It's hard because I am typically so non-confrontational. IVF is an option but not right now. I don't have insurance coverage, and the lowest OOP I have found, with everything we need (ICSI, PGD/S, etc) totals up to about $25,000. My H and I are pretty money-conscious and we have agreed that we won't be taking out loans for IVF. That leaves us with waiting till we have 100% of it in the bank, plus some leftover for unanticipated IVF needs, plus keeping our cushion of emergency funds. That's doable in a year if we don't strain and cut everything we love out. But then at the point we have to make a decision whether to buy a house or use it all for IVF. I'm of the notion we should use it to buy a house, because then we won't be keeping our life on hold and we could throw everything at IVF, etc. Without anything holding us back in the slightest. We do have (sorta? maybe? who knows?) the luxury of time on our side. I don't have any AMA or DOR issues, and we don't expect any issues right now (I am only 25), so I guess this is what we are doing. Before all that though, we are definitely going to get another SA done, just in case. 
    Diagnoses: RPL, Endometriosis, MFI (count, morph, DNI, DNAS, multiple bilateral subclinical varicoceles), low progesterone

Loss History (TW):
    TTC History (TW):
    3 losses in 2015
    March 2017: Clomid + HCG + IUI + Progesterone = SA/wash: zero count on attempt #1, <1,000 on attempt #2= BFN
    January IVF- 25 retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 3 frozen day fives (3AA, 3AA, 3AA), 1 frozen day 6 (5BB), 1 frozen day 7 (3CC)
    FET #1: 27 February 2018, 3AA & 5BB, one stuck! BFP 04 March 2018.... Loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    FET #2: 04 June 2018, 3AA PGS normal embryo, 3AA PGS hatching inconclusive embryo. 
    Lost Baby A 02 July 2018
    Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, chromotubation: 23 July 2018: blocked right tube, heavily inflamed, covered in endo. Removed right tube. Removed more endo from uterus, tubes, ovaries. Endo remains on bladder and bowel. 
    Next Up:
    ER#2 ~Jan 2019

• @KristoKekerooni well at least IVF is an option even if its not right a way. I'm sorry your having to deal with so much S**T. Hugs again. 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @TravelingCouple @Anna_1021 As crazy as it sounds, I'm gathering not all REs are open on weekends, unfortunately. A RE group not too far from me that I considered (which has a great reputation) doesn't do weekends or holidays ever, and that definitely weighed heavily in my decision to choose the one I went with, which does do weekends and holidays. I figured this out via Yelp. 
  • @KristoKekerooni your latest blog entry is beautiful and it made me feel all the feels.  Just wanted you to know <3
  • Oh @antoto , Thank you. <3 

Loss History (TW):
    TTC History (TW):
    3 losses in 2015
    Lost Baby A 02 July 2018
    Next Up:
    ER#2 ~Jan 2019

• Thank you @eggplantface, @zwink1, @JuneRoseRub. I decided to try the theralogix. I figure it shouldn't hurt and may help so why not.

@Anna_1021 I hope that docs can work out something for you so you can do your IUI this cycle. And also I firmly believe at least one of us in here must be a SS so you never know!
    @KristoKekerooni so sorry you had to go through that. I am glad you are filing a complaint. Hope you are switching docs as well. I'm glad that IVF is an option for you guys even though you will wait for a bit.

So MH finally got in touch with the urologist today. He basically said he has no idea what's going on. He no longer thinks there is any obstruction since even with a partial obstruction numbers would likely not reach the millions. He basically said that we should just pursue IVF but my H will not have to do surgery or TESE anymore. I guess all his blood work is normal so there is no role for medications either to help increase his count. I think we will be going for a second opinion since we would like to have some explanation for the low count. This is the urologist that the RE referred us to and it seems like no matter the problem their solution is always just IVF. 

• madspunkmadspunk member
    edited March 2017
    @kristokekerooni How incredibly frustrating! I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. And so glad you are filing a complaint! I can't even believe how unprofessional that office is. I really hope that you are a SS and that this cycle works for you any way, somehow, because after all of that you one hundred and a thousand percent deserve it. Unfortunately, as well all know, IF doesn't care who deserves what. I really could rant about your office forever because I am seriously in disbelief that an office could ever treat a patient like that. Sorry to hear you may have to wait for IVF if you have to go that route. These are really tough choices to make.

@antoto Hang in there!

@zwink1 Sorry to hear you have to rip out your kitchen sooner than expected. Hopefully you are able to pick out some nice new kitchen stuff and have fun redoing it.

@JuneRoseRuby What your ultrasound tech friend said makes me happy. I am not the best on leg shaving upkeep, especially in the winter, and I have gone in too many times forgetting to shave. Hopefully my nurses are like your friend and they don't notice.

@TravelingCouple I'm still rooting for you even though you didn't respond to the letrozole as well as you would have hoped. Have fun traveling!!

@safire3 MH's urologist recommended Theralogix ConceptionXR Motility when we thought his motility was on the lower end. A second SA showed his motility was okay, so we didn't end up buying it. I looked at reviews when we were considering it and the Theralogix brand seemed to get good feedback. So glad to hear your husband won't have to do surgery or TESE anymore. Interested to see what the 2nd urologist says. I think it's always good to get a 2nd opinion.

@Anna_1021 I hope your RE is one of the ones that is open on the weekends and holidays. Mine has weekend hours and is open on most holidays (I think everything but Christma@aniceucchik

AFM: Follie check today and they aren't growing like they should be. I'm really upset about it. I have a bunch of small ones, but nothing over 11, and none have grown more than 1 mm in 2 days, so they increased my dosage. On top of that, I now have to order the antagonist injection they thought I wouldn't need because my estrogen level is something like 480. With the dosage increase and the new meds, this cycle is getting more expensive. On Letrozole I've had cycles that have had to be cancelled due to no response, and I'm afraid that will happen again.

Any Gonal-F users, how long did you inject?