Baby Showers

Gender reveal party

Hi ladies, my SIL is having a gender reveal party in 2 weeks. I never had one, nor have I ever been to one so what is the gift etiquette when attending ( if there is one)? We are not close but I was thinking maybe a book or two. (I was thinking of Jenny McCarthy's book and what to expect the first year) my MIL is throwing her a shower in Jan. Thanks for your input. 
DD1: 2/28/12
DD2: 9/12/13
Baby #3: Due January 2018

Re: Gender reveal party

• I would not bring a gift to a gender reveal, as it is not a gift-giving event. Save it for the shower.

I had a gender reveal party (even though I find them tacky) because it's the norm in DH's family, and I specified that no one was under any obligation to bring a gift.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't know how you'd even bring a card since you won't know whether to congratulate them on a boy or a girl...
  • Loading the player...
  • I would also skip the gift and card, "gender" reveals are not gift giving events.
  • Thanks. No gift then!

• YogaSandyYogaSandy member
    edited September 2016
    antoto said:
    I wouldn't bring a gift to a gender reveal - gifts are for the shower.

Also I wouldn't give anything written by Jenny McCarthy to any person for any reason.  
    This was actually going to be my reply. I know absolutely nothing about her book. I didn't even know she had one. However, anyone who is a vocal anti-Vaxxer - nope. That invalidates anything that is written in that book, if it's a pregnancy advice book. If it's a children's book, I would not financially support someone who uses their celebrity (from such support) to dole out unscientific advice. 

ETA - also (maybe it's because I like to learn everything I can in the speed of right now), I'm assuming anyone who is interested in reading "What to Expect" already has / borrowed a copy by the time they're far enough along to have a gender reveal. Unless it's What to Expect - The First Year etc. 
  • YogaSandy said:
    antoto said:
    I wouldn't bring a gift to a gender reveal - gifts are for the shower.

Also I wouldn't give anything written by Jenny McCarthy to any person for any reason.  
    This was actually going to be my reply. I know absolutely nothing about her book. I didn't even know she had one. However, anyone who is a vocal anti-Vaxxer - nope. That invalidates anything that is written in that book, if it's a pregnancy advice book. If it's a children's book, I would not financially support someone who uses their celebrity (from such support) to dole out unscientific advice. 

ETA - also (maybe it's because I like to learn everything I can in the speed of right now), I'm assuming anyone who is interested in reading "What to Expect" already has / borrowed a copy by the time they're far enough along to have a gender reveal. Unless it's What to Expect - The First Year etc. 
    Her book is funny, like all the gross stuff about pregnancy and giving birth. It's not scientific  or meant to give the important information or anything like that. I thought it was hilarious. 

• I agree with everyone else, a gender reveal is not a gift giving event. I've never taken one to a reveal, nor would I expect to get a gift.

The only time I've ever seen a gift given was at one reveal for a friend of mine. Her sister bought a boy outfit and a girl outfit and had them both wrapped. After the reveal when they knew it was a boy she gave her the boy gift to open.