Trying to Get Pregnant

IF/Testing Check In - Week of 3/27

This is a place for those of us who have already started TTC, but have started infertility testing and/or treatments. You can express your thoughts, feelings, and frustrations on infertility. TTC can be a long journey naturally, then add in the difficulties associated with infertility and it becomes a whole new ball game. The road to infertility can be lonely, frustrating, and complicated, so let's make this a place where we can vent, ask questions, and support one another.  Feel free to resurrect this thread at any point in the week if you have something to say, and treat this like an ongoing conversation. 

Diagnosis (If you've been): 

Cycle/CD: 

Status (WTO/TWW/TTA):  

What are you doing this cycle? (Testing? Treatment?)

How are things going?

Any questions? 

GTKY: If money were no object (didn't have to work, etc), how would you spend your days? 

Re: IF/Testing Check In - Week of 3/27

• Loading the player...
  • @laurad75 Sorry that the ER didn't go as planned, but FX so hard for that one little fighter :)

@wabash15 I just love your "What are you doing this cycle?" Not sure why, it's the "usual stuff", but the was you wrote it, it feels so well rounded, you even ended it on a prayer :) Rooting for you.

@hartmich This is so wierd, I was in a very similar situation this weekend with my mom. It's my brother's wife she was soo judgemental about (like how she is always tapping her phone, and how she wasn't running around after her kid //when there was 2 grandparents at site//...blah blah blah). I ended up scolding my mom, that she just can't be like this :) I actually told her that it might be easier to be judgemental with her DIL, but what would she say if my MIL did the same thing to me?

@lund I think that's really wierd. Like why would you spend time and money on IUI before it is tested that your eggs can actually travel down to your uterus (HSG)? I am lucky enough to live in a big city so reaching an RE is not an issue. Only visited him when we had what I thought was all the necessary tests (except HSG which I planned to do with him), but he even sent me to one more.  Is there any chance you can switch to another OB? Cause usually they are more helpful than that, I guess.
    Me: 33, DH: 38
    Married: May 2015
    TTC since September 2015
  • @vflux33 I had an STP-Saline tubal perfusion. It felt like a  bad pap. But I didn't have any pain or discomfort after it was done. Just that intense burning during the procedure but it only lasted 45 seconds.  Insurance covered my STP, so I am no help there. 
    32 years old (both H and I)
    Dating 7/2008
    Married 7/2014
    H Type I Diabetic
    TTC 1/2016
    12/2016 mental break from TTC-NTNP
    1/10/2017 initial appt with RE (all BW results WNL)
    1/17/2017 SA DX Virtual Azoo (3 sperm 0%morph 0%motility)
    1/18/2017 STP tubes clear
    2/1/2017 initial appt with Urologist
    2/15/2017 DX H Robertsonian Translocation
    H is on clomid and Theralogix Supplements
    6/26/17 repeat SA: 47 sperm 0% morph 13% motility
    7/26/17 IVF Consult, repeat SA (4 sperm)
    8/21/17 Starting IVF cycle with Donor Sperm backup
    9/1/17 ER ICSI PGS: only 2 donor embryos made it to freeze
    9/13/17 Started cycle for IUI with donor and clomid
    9/27/17 IUI canceled for overstim
    October Plan IUI with donor and low dose clomid

• @JuneRoseRuby Thanks, good to know. That sounds really similar to a SSG (saline sonogram). Maybe it's just a different name for the same procedure. 
  • @LuND I almost went for a local OB trained in IF instead of my RE but decided against it because I was afraid of some of the stuff it sounds like you're experiencing (and the RE here isn't as far away as yours). I understand why you wouldn't want to go 4 hours away, but FWIW if you did decide to do that or switch OBs I definitely do not think you'd be labeled as "needy" and receive substandard care. Lots of people get second opinions and if you're not comfortable with the current OB's plan, or if he's not explaining it to you enough, a second opinion is warranted. This situation is stressful enough with complete trust in a doctor. And if the new doctor said the same thing, at the very least it will put your mind at ease. 
  • lundlund member
    vflux33 said:
    @LuND I almost went for a local OB trained in IF instead of my RE but decided against it because I was afraid of some of the stuff it sounds like you're experiencing (and the RE here isn't as far away as yours). I understand why you wouldn't want to go 4 hours away, but FWIW if you did decide to do that or switch OBs I definitely do not think you'd be labeled as "needy" and receive substandard care. Lots of people get second opinions and if you're not comfortable with the current OB's plan, or if he's not explaining it to you enough, a second opinion is warranted. This situation is stressful enough with complete trust in a doctor. And if the new doctor said the same thing, at the very least it will put your mind at ease. 
    Thank you! I really needed to hear this. 

• @vflux33 i've had both and they're basically the same other than the saline one they watch with an US and I did it in the RE's office where as the HSG was done at a hospital/radiology facility with fluroscopy.  So there is slightly more exposure to radiation with HSG but really the fluroscopy is only on for 2 or 3 minutes so its NBD. as for cost I'm not sure...
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• @wabash15 Oh wow, thank you, I didn't realize that about the radiation. I am probably overly cautious about radiation (we don't even own a microwave) so now I'm really really glad I'm getting the SSG instead. I have zero IF and zero IF testing insurance so my SSG is going to be $350 OOP. But if that is a lot compared to a HSG I'd gladly pay more for something less invasive with less exposure to radiation. 
  • @vflux33 I think the HSG was 2500 but thankfully insurance should cover it as its "testing" we are OOP for treatment...
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @wabash15 Wow that is pricey! I had no idea. 
  • @eggplantface Thank you--I saw your comment and decided to call my RE to ask just now and the office said my SSG actually will also be used to look at my tubes in addition to my uterus (though from looking online it may be used just for the uterus by many other REs). I don't know if it will be as thorough/exact as an HSG though.
  • @eggplantface and @vflux33 you can look at the tubes with a SSG... they put the saline in then air and they follow the bubbles up your tubes to make sure the exit.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @wabash15 OK possibly a dumb question, but just out of curiosity why does anyone get the HSG instead of a SSG then? Is it more precise? Is there a reason some REs prefer it? Seems with the added expense plus extra invasiveness plus more radiation exposure that it wouldn't be as standard as it sounds. I'm not a doctor and I'm guessing you're not either but having had both I'm wondering if you have an opinion or extra info on that.
  • @vflux33 my guess is its just an RE preference thing.  Some may feel more comfortable watching dye vs bubbles... I have not specifically researched it.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @vflux33. We are OOP, (but I can get reimbursed in some cases).  I looked into the cost of the HSG vs. SHG and it was no comparison.  The contrast dye lights up the tubes so they're much easier to see.  My ob didn't have the ability to see the bubbles, so it was just regular SHG, in office, and he was able to report "at least unilateral tube parency," bc he saw the fluid spilling out, but bc it's not all lit up like the fluoroscopy is, he didnt want to "guarantee" bilateral tube patency in my case.  SHG is better for looking at the ute, for polyps etc. I think, but it will more or less work for tubes too, with the bubbles especially. ;)
  • @wabash15 I was just wondering about a week ago if it is normal that I always put a lot of care in shaving myself for the OB. Guess I underestimated the range of preparation I could be doing :D Like trimming it to a cute shape or sg.. hm :) I do wonder what whacky things they faced already. Although when you think about it with all the IF struggle, we have to do sg to cheer ourself up for these tons of appts ;) 
    Me: 33, DH: 38
    Married: May 2015
    TTC since September 2015