Trying to Get Pregnant

TFAS (Trying for a Sibling) March Check-In

Re: TFAS (Trying for a Sibling) March Check-In

• @Brooklyngirl6 I've gotten three days of positives in the past. It happened two months in a row while I was taking evening primrose oil-not sure if they had anything to do with each other though...
  • Does everyone use internet cheapies for the OPK's? I liked using CBA in the past because I could use FMU but they weren't terribly reliable for me. I'm not sure I want to poas at work.....
  • Loading the player...
  • @cdnrunning Yup I use the Internet cheapies (Mavogel).  Interestingly enough it says to use between 10a and 8p
    Me: 38 DH:39
    TTC #2 - August 2016
    MFI
    IUI #1-3 BFN 

Heart Mom - DS 3/15/13
    BFP 4/21/18 MMC 6/11/18
  • @cdnrunning I use digital ones. 
    I find I'm half stupid and can't compare colors when it comes to OPKs being close to positive so it's easier for me
    i have cheap ones for earlier in my cycle to just confirm I'm not close though 
  • What number are you trying for? 2 Cycle/Month? 27/27 (1 AL) Other children at home? Ages (if you want to share)? 3 1/2 DD Any thoughts about this cycle? Hoping that it is successful- not sure follicles will grow on the correct side (I have a blocked right tube). Any questions? GTKY: What's something you've been thinking about doing/planning but keep putting off in case you get pregnant? (So we can encourage each other to do it!) I really want to start exercising and eating better to lose some weight- ( I gained so much weight when I was on clomid). But I don't want to start anything vigorous as I am worried that will affect me getting pregnant- I am trying to eat better though and have lost 8 lbs!
  • @cdnrunning I use the Clear Blue Digital OPKs and not the advanced version.  I like that it takes the guess work out of it and I have had luck with turning a positive in the morning and afternoon with them.    I was not a fan of the advanced version.

• @mispanda I think I'm going to try those. I hate all the guesswork with my cycles, they're all so different.
  • @mispanda would you mind sharing more why you like the regular clearblue over the advanced? I'm using the advanced now, on day 5 high with no peak yet and feel like I might not get one/ all these high days are misleading. Does the regular test avoid that?
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • @KatieEl just butting in...
    I've had sooooo many days of blinky faces in the past but no solid. I prefer the regular, they are far more straight forward 
  • @KatieEl I had the same experience. Days and days of blinky faces and no solid face. So sad lol
  • @cdnrunning good to know! It's making me feel like a crazy person. Did you just keep testing until your temp spiked?
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • @KatieEl with the advanced ones you have to start them at specific time in your cycle so that it can get a baseline for your hormone level.  Not only does it watch for a LH surge but there's one more hormone that it picks up (I can't remember which one but I thought Estrogen?)  The main part of the OPK has a memory, that's why you start taking it early to get that baseline.  Plus I can get positives for two/three days and once you get a positive on the advanced you can't take it again like you can with the regular ones.

• @KatieEl I just quit lol. I kept temping to confirm O
  • @Brooklyngirl6 multiple days of positives are normal, but are you sure they are actually positive? I do get 2-3 days every month of positives where the test line is darker than the control. For some women, the test line has to be darker to be positive. For others, the two lines can be equal. I definitely get a fade-in to a positive and if the lines are just equal, that's not a true positive for me. Just throwing that out there. When in doubt, always HIO though. 
    @cdnrunning I'm a Wondfo girl through and through, they've never let me down with OPK or pregnancy tests. I get the dual packs on Amazon.
  • cdnrunningcdnrunning member
    edited March 2017
    @TravelingCouple I have the wondfo pregnancy tests (which I love) but haven't ventured into the OPKs yet. What time of day do you test?
  • @cdnrunning between 10a-2p is when I take them. I only test once a day since my surge is so long
  • @TravelingCouple I just need to find a way to get over peeing in a cup at work. So this may be a real dumb question but do you just hang out in the stall? Or do you sneak your opk strip and put it somewhere??
  • @cdnrunning I use the OPK pouch to pee in. When I was working TTC DS I would bring the OPK pouch in with me, pee in the pouch, wrap the strip up in toilet paper and shove it in my bra or pants. Then laid it out in a drawer at my desk and read it there.
  • @cdnrunning I use the OPK pouch to pee in. When I was working TTC DS I would bring the OPK pouch in with me, pee in the pouch, wrap the strip up in toilet paper and shove it in my bra or pants. Then laid it out in a drawer at my desk and read it there.
    Holy crap what a great idea!  I was thinking next month of bringing them to work with me and was like how will I do this? 
    Me: 38 DH:39
    TTC #2 - August 2016
    MFI
    IUI #1-3 BFN 

Heart Mom - DS 3/15/13
    BFP 4/21/18 MMC 6/11/18
  • @Brooklyngirl6 I also haven't temped this cycle. It's about impossible to be consistent with DS and new puppy disrupting sleep constantly. So, just OPKs for now!

@cdnrunning I have only ever used cheapies. I will say after having used both Wondfos and ClinicalGuard, I actually prefer the ClinicalGuard brand. I find the Wondfos more "streaky" if that makes sense, sometimes missing dye in spots or kind of mottled/harder to read. The CG have been much clearer for me.

What number are you trying for? 2

Cycle/Month? 9/9

Other children at home? Ages (if you want to share)? DS 5yo

Any thoughts about this cycle? Not very optimistic. Terrible timing and we are on cycle 9, so...yeah. My mind is in such a weird place. We were super lucky with TTC DS, only 2 cycles. Now that we are on cycle 9 this time around, likely unsuccessful, I find that I'm constantly going back and forth between optimism/thinking about another baby and preparing myself mentally that it may not happen at all.

Any questions?

GTKY: What's something you've been thinking about doing/planning but keep putting off in case you get pregnant?  Ha, getting in better shape/losing the 10 lbs I gained since last summer.

Me: 36  DH: 41
    DS: 07/03/11
    TTC #2: July 2016
    BFP: 4/19/17 EDD: 12/31/17
  • @TravelingCouple - that's brilliant! Thanks for sharing! I feel a bit better about this whole poas/work thing!
  • KatieEl Yes! I always wonder what effects it has on OPKs and various other things (temperature etc). And OMG I would be so bitter getting it 2 months PP when EBF!!

cdnrunning Did your cycle not start until you were done BFing? I know some women get it right away even with BFing. So weird. If my OPKs are right, my follicular phase was notably shorter this cycle… so I guess I spoke too soon when I said I thought mine were normal…

lalala2004 No of course we don’t mind! Glad you are here! It sounds like you will be starting when your DS is about the age my DD is (we just started) when she was ~16 months, which is when I got my first period… and am still BF, though I stopped pumping! I haven’t had to wean DD, and she still nurses at night—but after a month of going M-F without much nursing aside from the morning and night, my cycle started. I saw my OB/GYN right after my first period and she said to keep right on BF since I had my period and gave me a green light to TTC. Good luck! So far I’m obvi not pregnant but it has been pretty normal—two periods in a row!

kvacmak Yes! So glad there are so many of us! Mine was similar—we didn’t cut out night nursing, lol (she hates sleep) but because of work I cut out day nursing and stopped pumping at work at 14 months and AF came a month later! I’d say we went from 6+ sessions to 3-4 with a long stretch during the day.

happyhiccup That sounds like a great plan and is what worked for us! It was at 15.5 months PP I got it but started doing what you are doing around 14 months. It also sounds like your thoughts are EXACTLY what mine were. I actually made an appointment with my OB/GYN to see if there was anything I could do to start my period but then it started on its own, when I was about to give up! I literally feel EXACTLY how you are saying you feel. I’m also not super young (not quite AMA but looking at it soon), so I wanted to get things going in case we had issues/give us time. It really took me ~2 months of the lower amount of feeding before mine started and I had no indication it was going to… It’s hard to be patient, so don’t beat yourself up about feeling anxious!

*TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• @EmilyLove25 - I BF'd for about 5 months but the last month I was only pumping/BFing 3-4 times a day at most and then slowly eliminated feedings. It took a full 4 weeks to get my period. Avoided first cycle (I guess technically the second cycle), and then TTGP the last two cycles. My cycles have always been irregular but now they're really bad. I had luteal phase of 13 days pp so I thought, oh wow great, look at me all regular. That followed with a 6 day luteal phase cycle. UGH. Not even sure about this cycle yet. Looks like AF is coming but I'm not 100% certain about my O date. Best guess is I'm 8dpo. Sorry for the dear diary post, this has been really annoying. I'll probably make an appointment to get back on progesterone post O. I have a sneaking suspicious that's a part of the issue.
  • @alysapuggles I think I'll use my CBA, I have some left over and then move to internet cheapies after that. My only hesitation with internet cheapies is peeing at work lol
  • We have a gorgeous 15 month old. Trying for number 2. Looking at my little girl just really made me wAnt another. I've put off being medicated to treat MS to have this baby. So I appreciate the sentiment but don't need to be encuraged. Ww stopez prevwnt last month but disnt get luckybas i was in the hospitL during my fertile week. So this is the first freak month of trying. I decided to use opks and that's driving me crazy as I feel I have too many positives. 
  • notthefathernotthefather member
    edited March 2017
    see below 

On our way to baby #2!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD March 12, 2018

• cdnrunning I love dear diary posts, so no need to apologize. My cycle this time has me (allegedly) O-ing way earlier than last cycle... ahh! To be normal and regular like the good old days! 
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Thought I'd bump this thread - how is everyone? 

Two of my friends recently gave birth to their second child (their first is my DS' age). Seeing their pics of their older holding their infant is pulling my heart strings. DS still seems oblivious himself but man the urge is so strong. I just keep reminding myself that that's THEIR story and not my story. 
  • @TravelingCouple that's what I need to tell myself. Just because someone else has it, doesn't mean I will. It's hard though. My sister just had a baby and seeing my son bursting with pride when he held him killed me. 
    I'm trying to stay calm and patient but as of now it's looking like I didn't ovulate this month so at the moment...it's hard. 
  • @TravelingCouple I can't wait to see how DD interacts with her sibling. Such a special love. Come on body, let's get a move on here! I wish I had some ute goggles...
  • edited March 2017
    @50Wife ugh I'm so sorry, did you get your period with no temp shift? I'm on mobile so I can't​ see your chart. 
  • @TravelingCouple I don't have my chart linked, but no period get. Just based on temps and OPKs it's looking like it's a no go. In the past, if I didn't ovulate I typically get AF early. So I'm kinda just waiting it out at this point and hoping something happened that I just didn't catch. 
    I'm going for CD 21-23 bloodwork (tomorrow is 21) so that'll confirm for sure for me 
  • @50Wife oh ok, well I hope you just O late this month rather than not at all! Keep us posted on your BW
  • @TravelingCouple thanks! I'm still keeping track of things incase, so we'll see I guess. I'm just happy I'm getting the ball rolling with my OB and bloodwork to make sure things look ok on my end. 
  • @TravelingCouple I feel you. One of my best friends is having her second baby this Friday (scheduled c section) and I'm torn between happiness and excitement for her and feeling bad about myself because she started TFAS seven months after I did. I like the idea of telling yourself that it's their story and not yours. I keep telling myself there is a reason we haven't gotten pregnant yet, even if I don't understand why, but that I will get my baby when the time is right for me. 

@50Wife I'm sorry you're having a wonky cycle! Hope the bloodwork gives you some answers. 
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• @cdnrunning totally missed your post earlier, are you WTO?

@shortstack930 it's hard seeing people who started trying after you then have their baby. I know my DS will be such a great big brother, I can't wait to see it either
  • I am - it seems like I need a get out of jail free card to get out of WTO :neutral: I usually O late and my LP phase postpartum has been pretty short. I added CBA opk's this month since FF has had a hard time with my O date as of late...
  • @TravelingCouple thanks for bumping - I actually forgot about this thread! 
    I go back and forth of being excited to see DS with a sibling and kind of terrified at the thought of having two! lol Some moms I talk to say 'ya two is so much easier' and others say 'two is 10x harder'... Though I was never the kind of mom to be like 'omg motherhood is the hardest job on earth'... I find the whole thing kind of easy & natural? I guess I'm just nervous about the all-consuming-ness of having a newborn again with a toddler to manage on top of it, but I won't be the first to have 2 kids, so I know it can be done! haha
    Are you guys nervous about the idea of having 2 (or 3, or 4... or more?)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @kvacmak I'm nervous. Most days I can't wait, but when I sit and think logistics...my life will be a mess lol. If we have one bad night of sleep now I'm half dead. Or the days I leave my house solo with my son and I look back before closing the door and it looks like a bomb went off? I'm like shit how will this work with 2??
    I wonder how the hell I survived my son the first few weeks but I feel like you just go into autopilot and do it. So then that makes me not nervous in a way? 
    But like you said, we won't be the first or the last. We will survive!