March 2017 Moms

Breastfeeding rants raves and support

Re: Breastfeeding rants raves and support

• @anonellis Its normal in my experience, though for me more like 4 hours and not 6 lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ok moms, looking for any advice or encouragement you can offer. 

LO is 2.5 weeks old and we are struggling with feeding. We are using a shield and he gets on okay but I feel like his latch might still not be deep enough no matter what I try. 

He also is a very sleepy eater and will suck for a minute or two then stop. I feel like I spend most of the time he is at the breast trying to wake him up and get him to suck. Because of this, some nursing sessions last over an hour. At this point it's almost time to try feeding him again as we were told not to let him go more than 3 hours. This morning he was on me for an hour and a half, then half an hour later was fussy and ready to try again. He has gained weight since the hospital but has not reached his birth weight yet. He is pooping and peeing, but I am not confident. 

I know constant feeding can be normal at this point, but when most of that time is spent trying to keep him awake or get him to suck, is he really benefiting? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Boy: coming March 2017

• Loading the player...
  • @liepertsm have you seen an LC? Not because you need one necessarily - but because it sounds like you could just use a boost in confidence that what you're doing is right! :)

I know it's so so much easier said than done-but if there are enough diapers and weight is increasing That's all that matters. 
    Especially around 2-3wks baby usually has a growth spurt and is ready to constantly be on the boob! Breast feeding is so different for each of us/so you could also have faster milk flow and baby could be a faster eater. 2min is pretty quick/but 5isnt unheard of. 
    Do the couple minutes and then change a diaper and fully wake up and offer the other side??
  •  I think we have had 2 bursts of cluster feeds & I think LO is more active at night right now.  It seems like after 6am she sleeps in 3hrs stretches (if I let her) but wants to eat every 1.5hrs 8pm until 6am.  Not sure if there is anything I can really do about it.  I'm waking her for the most part every 2 hrs during the day.  As long as I get at least 2 sleeps of 2 hours or more I have been waking up functioning.  I have yet to nap during the day but say I am going to every day.

I was having trouble keeping her awake while eating too but it seems to have improved a lot since my milk has fully come in.  I was offering both breasts during feedings but she seems to not need both every time.  Is this OK?  Should I always offer #2 even for a couple of
    minutes to be sure?   She is almost always immediately milk drunk after a feeding and goes back to sleep for a while.  

I also think her digestive system has leveled out and I am starting to see a pattern to how her plumbing works.  Pee, pee with tiny poop,  big poop, repeat. lol.
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• For those who are planning to pump to build a freezer stash for returning to work, when are you going to start adding in a pumping session or two?

I can't remember when I started this last time. 
  • @Ivorytower2 waiting for baby to get back to birth weight but I plan on this week or next ( 2-3 weeks pp)
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    edited March 2017
    Ivorytower2 said: 
    For those who are planning to pump to build a freezer stash for returning to work, when are you going to start adding in a pumping session or two?

I can't remember when I started this last time. 
    I started when lo was 3 days old. I do one pumping session per day usually in the morning. I know my supply takes a big hit when I'm back at work so I'm building as big a stash as possible. With my first baby the stress of keeping supply up was hard on me (and the stress alone did more harm to my supply) so I am doing what I can now to make it easier down the road.

ETA: it also really depends on what your goal is and how soon you return to work. I know some mom's don't want to overproduce bc it can be a lot to manage. But I'm NOT an over producer so I need to work pretty hard to keep supply up. 
  • @Cbeanz that makes sense. I travel a lot for work so I have a hard time keeping up because it's hard to save when on the road. My only worry is that milk just came in today (day 3 ppt) and I am SO engorged and scared of making my body think t needs to make more by adding in a pump.
    on the other hand, I'd rather sort of have it adjust to thinking it needs one extra feed per day so I can start building. Maybe I'll just give it another few days to level out.
  • Not sure if I posted this yet, but I highly recommend the haakaa silicone pump. They are like 20$ and I suction it on the side I'm not nursing on twice a day. I don't have to actually pump it... it does the work for me and I'm putting away 4oz a day now by doing nothing. 
  • @Ivorytower2 I did for about 2 ounces a day at 4-5 days pp just to take the edge off because I was so engorged. I haven't since then though but @mecoats suggestion sounds like a good one. 

@NurseMama I think someone else did recommend it, I need to ge on that! Did you have any experience with the little shield cups that collect milk to compare or just the haakaa pump?
    married 10.10.14 @ Turks & Caicos
    yorkie mama to Oscar
    FTM EDD 3.12.17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • pandalily said:
    @Ivorytower2 I did for about 2 ounces a day at 4-5 days pp just to take the edge off because I was so engorged. I haven't since then though but @mecoats suggestion sounds like a good one. 

@NurseMama I think someone else did recommend it, I need to ge on that! Did you have any experience with the little shield cups that collect milk to compare or just the haakaa pump?
    @pandalily I get more than double with the haakaa than the shield thing (I have the milkies milk saver).
  • Kind of off topic but Im curious- are there any techniques you recommend to rouse LO enough to nurse? My baby was NOT INTERESTED in nursing until just now, 6 hours after delivery. She did nurse for a good 15 minutes so Im pleased with that but wonder how best to keep her awake in future! I am having afterbirth cramps so bad when she nurses its scary but it'll be so worth it :) 
  • My nipples constantly burn and hurt. I went to the lactation conusltant yesterday thinking we had latch issues but turns out she thinks I have a yeast infection of my nipples. I using otc monistat to help clear it up till Monday when I can hopefully see an OBGYN. I have no idea how long this will take to clear. I'm so depressed. Feeding the Lo hurts more than labor. :( I may have to try and pump him bottle tonight and see if that hurts my nipples less but I'm worried he'll refuse the boob after he tries a bottle. Is anytime else giving boob and bottles? Can baby like both? 
  • I've been having a hard time keeping mine awake while nursing also.  Here are some tips that have been helpful for me:  undress them while they eat so they aren't as warm/cozy, tickle their feet, put a cool wet washcloth up to their cheek.   
  • @BaylieGirl i'm so sorry to hear that!! i'm not doing both but I know a lot of mommas do. tHey can definitely like both. I believe most babies prefer boob so I wouldn't worry too much about LO refusing to nurse once things clear up. Hang in there!
  • @BaylieGirl you mean bottles of pumped breast milk, right?  My twins have been getting probably 25% bottle 75% boob (varies by day) since super early on and haven't had a problem with them seeming to prefer one to the other.  I deliberately make sure they get each one at least once per day. 

Frankly, feeding them bottles at night has saved my sanity, especially since I can sleep through a feed or two and my husband can feed them.  He really appreciates that bonding experience, too. 

I dont have experience with your physical symptoms but I really hope you're feeling better soon! 
  • @BaylieGirl I breastfeed and give bottles of pumped milk. Baby takes both with no problems but still prefers the boob more. 
  • @BaylieGirl my LO had to have some supplemental bottle in day 4 before my milk was in.  She had a great latch to the boob & the hospital LC & nurse had no concerns with her having a pacifier or bottles.  I was terrified about nipple confusion & we have had zero issues.  Her grandma gave her a bottle of pumped milk yesterday & it also went great.  She definitely prefers boob!

I am officially leaky now.  Time to bust out the box of pads...
    ****TW****

• edited March 2017
    MrsBinPA said:
    @BaylieGirl my LO had to have some supplemental bottle in day 4 before my milk was in.  She had a great latch to the boob & the hospital LC & nurse had no concerns with her having a pacifier or bottles.  I was terrified about nipple confusion & we have had zero issues.  Her grandma gave her a bottle of pumped milk yesterday & it also went great.  She definitely prefers boob!

I am officially leaky now.  Time to bust out the box of pads...
    Sloane is such a cutie, that's great she's doing so well with BF!

Don't waste the leaky milk - get a Haakaa! I love mine and have already started a freezer stash. 

Edited to add link- 

Haakaa Silicone Breastfeeding Manual Breast Pump Milk Pump 100% Food Grade Silicone BPA PVC and Phthalate Free https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F8W7CF0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_iXA2ybFEV0TNC

• Ughhh guys, so my nipples were abused from the first few days- horrible blisters and excruciating pain, so I gave in and used the shield for a few days so they could heal and not get infected. All healed up now, but now baby won't latch without the shield. She was latching just fine up until I used one. What do I do? 
  • @coconutkisses21 I was looking at it earlier today based on recommendations but didn't pull the trigger.  I probably should.  Less than $20 is a reasonable investment for sure.  Do you have/use the cap or stopper?  
    ****TW****

• @MrsBinPA- I did not buy the stopper. I just set it upright until I can pour it into a bottle. 
  • I'm so terrified this journey may be over soon for me. 

About a week ago I woke up with a fever of 103/104 and felt like complete garbage. Chills/sweats/body aches etc. I wasn't aware I had mastitis because I had zero redness in my breasts, zero lumps, and zero drop in supply. Day 3 rolls around of feeling like crap - I'm literally hallucinating from the fever at times - and now my breasts have lumps in them and are hard and swollen to the touch. I think great at least now I know what the problem is and pump pump pump. I do everything I can to work these lumps out. Nothing helps. Early the next day I go to an urgent care center (Saturday). She gives me the antibiotics but cautions me that my symptoms are extreme and I may need IV antibiotics if things don't improve in 24 hours. Sunday comes along and not only are my symptoms not drastically improved like I had hoped - the redness and swelling in my breast has spread. I go into the ER on Sunday for IV antibiotics and they change the antibiotics I'm on and double the usual dose because of how severe the infection is. I had been so sick and dehydrated (despite drinking over 100oz of Gatorade and add some water to that) that I had only peed twice that day. I even got 2L of fluids in the IV. I hadn't kept food down consistently in days. 

Now today its 24 hours after the IV antibiotics and I've been on the pills - the redness has gone down hugely. I still have some red though and oddly it looks purple/red in one spot? Like a bruise almost? I've been able to eat a bit more today - I actually ate dinner! And I've been downing the water/Gatorade significantly. My supply has tanked - and I'm worried this is permanent. I was pulling 4-6 oz per pumping session every 2 hours. Now I'm lucky if I can get 3oz in that amount of time. Plus when I return to work I know my supply is going to drop again. On top of that DS won't drink my antibiotic milk so I'm forced to toss it. 

Idk maybe it's too early to tell if my supply is doomed but I'm starting to panic that it is. I feel so so sad. I had supply issues from the start with DS1 and this baby I've been so proud of to actually completely give breastmilk to. Even though he won't latch and pumping has been a chore it's been WORTH it. And now our journey may be ending because of stupid mastitis tanking my supply. I wanted to proudly say we made it a year on breastmilk without formula. I am so emotional right now. This whole journey has been so freaking hard for me. To even have this baby we had 8 miscarriages and 1 ectopic, I developed preeclampsia and was induced 6 weeks early forcing my little man into the nicu, he never learned to latch so I've stuck to a strict pumping schedule of every 2 hours, and now this. I'm just so tired of it all being a struggle. I was so proud of myself thinking I had done a good job pumping for him. And now I feel like I'm going to fail him in the end yet again. This was so important to me. I can't believe we have to overcome this yet too. 
    Me: 32 DH: 34
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• @marshmallowfarts I am so so sorry that you have come up against another huge challenge in your journey.  You are so strong, mama.  Huge creepy internet hugs - you are doing an amazing job - don't loose hope yet that your BF journey is done.  Prayers for healing <3
  • @marshmallowfarts WOW what a struggle this has been.  That is SO scary to go through that bad an infection. I'm glad you're OK. You SHOULD be proud of all you have done so far.  But focus on getting better now - your baby needs mama!  You can figure out supply issues later but for now just get healthy.  Are you home now? Does your Dr want you to keep pumping? What's the plan from here?
  • @marshmallowfarts You DID do a good job! Don't let an illness take that away from you. My best advice is to keep pumping, but try to remove that stress from yourself about how much you get. Illnesses CAN affect supply, but your body has the capability to recover for sure. Even if it never does, or the stress ends up being not worth it, you already did amazing exclusively pumping. Its hard!!

@Ivorytower2 Do you have a lc you can contact?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @kjd291thank you for your kind words and prayers - definitely need the prayers. 

@Cbeanz - I'm home now. I had a follow up today with my ob and she said the infection is still really severe and doubled the number of days I'm on the antibiotics now. The medicine is really killing my stomach. They said to keep pumping. One doctor said hourly the other said every two hours. Idk which one to believe. I think hourly may engorge me eventually and it's painful to think about - but it'll boost supply. I do every two hours now so no difference. When the doctor saw me today she wasn't the one on call in the ER over the weekend - she said "THIS is considered better?" I need to go back again for another recheck next week. If the infection starts to show any sign of getting worse again - increased redness/swelling/new lumps/fevers she wants me to go back to the hospital for more IV antibiotics. 

@longliveregina - you're sooo right about pumping being hard. I'm hoping you're right and once everything clears up I return to normal. My mother in law brought me homemade cupcakes to help cheer me up. I wish my husband were home so I could just cry and self wallow some. I only have three more weeks off work to really fix this mess. 
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• @kjd291thank you for your kind words and prayers - definitely need the prayers. 

@Cbeanz - I'm home now. I had a follow up today with my ob and she said the infection is still really severe and doubled the number of days I'm on the antibiotics now. The medicine is really killing my stomach. They said to keep pumping. One doctor said hourly the other said every two hours. Idk which one to believe. I think hourly may engorge me eventually and it's painful to think about - but it'll boost supply. I do every two hours now so no difference. When the doctor saw me today she wasn't the one on call in the ER over the weekend - she said "THIS is considered better?" I need to go back again for another recheck next week. If the infection starts to show any sign of getting worse again - increased redness/swelling/new lumps/fevers she wants me to go back to the hospital for more IV antibiotics. 

@longliveregina - you're sooo right about pumping being hard. I'm hoping you're right and once everything clears up I return to normal. My mother in law brought me homemade cupcakes to help cheer me up. I wish my husband were home so I could just cry and self wallow some. I only have three more weeks off work to really fix this mess. 
    You know, maybe contact your ob...I have no experience with this, but you may be able to extend your short term disability and this leave based on complications. Maybe not (in just guessing here really), but if you are battling mastitis you are not yet fit to return to work, and in nonmaternity std claims you have to prove fitness to return.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @marshmallowfarts wow, that sounds so horrible I can't even imagine. You are so strong. Milk supply can adjust, so don't stress about that. Worry about getting yourself healthy and if you still want to nurse I'm sure your body will be able to ramp back up. Sending t&p your way, and keep being the strong person you are.
  • @Ivorytower2 is absolutely right .... Health first, other things are secondary  <3
    @marshmallowfarts
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ughhh guys, so my nipples were abused from the first few days- horrible blisters and excruciating pain, so I gave in and used the shield for a few days so they could heal and not get infected. All healed up now, but now baby won't latch without the shield. She was latching just fine up until I used one. What do I do? 
    I have used the shield to try and let my nipples heal too and when they feel better I go back to not using it. When DD seems to have trouble latching I will put the shield on until my nipple pops out from her sucking and then take the shield away and offer the boob again without it. Hope that helps you!!

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• @Ivorytower2 Google "kellymom nipple sheild" I seem to remember reading an article about this. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @marshmallowfarts  I am so so sorry you're going through all of these hard times. You're doing a great job mama keep up the amazing job! I hope your meds clear everything up for you faster than anticipated so you and your body can get back in the swing of things. Hang in there. I'll be thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers 
  • @longliveregina I'll definitely look into that. I'm also desperately still trying to find another job that pays more with less hours. I only work three days a week but ideally I'd like to cut back to working only two days a week and my manager isn't willing to help with that. I don't remember returning to work being as hard as this last time? 

@Ivorytower2 - thank you for your words of encouragement. You're right - heal first and worry about this later. I can't really do anything about it now, right? I just have to tell myself that every time I pump and stress. 

@Gators&amp;BoSox thank you - I'm hoping for a fast recovery. I really honestly never knew boobs could betray you so badly. I feel like younger me would have given up already on this journey. But this time I remember feeling so happy to actually provide for this baby since last time I couldn't even do that. I also can't help but remember all those lines hooked up to our baby in the nicu and think I want to do better for him. This group has been so helpful for me. Since my mom never breastfed (she didn't want to and is proud of that - thanks mom), theres literally nobody in my family who can answer these questions or help. I seriously love our group. 

Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• Now mastitis. Woke up feeling achy all over and measured a temp of 101. My midwife called in antibiotics by assessing my symptoms over the phone. So thankful I didn't need to be seen. It hurts to walk.
  • Aw @Cbeanz I hope you feel better soon!
  • @Cbeanz ughhh :( glad you didn't have to go in and hope you are on the mend.
  • Feel better @Cbeanz
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017