Baby Names

Irish Boy Names

DH is half Irish, and if baby is a boy we like the idea of an Irish name. (I've had my girls name picked out since I was 16, lol) We don't want anything *too* Irish or hard to pronounce, as our family here in the US is pretty traditional and non-Irish. 

Truly, both of us are in love with Liam and that will probably be it, but we don't love how high it is on the popularity lists. My name, Jessica, is super common and it got a little annoying to be surrounded by a million Jessica's in school, lol.

Middle name Ryan, let's pretend the last name is Morgan as the real one is pretty similar with that -an sound making some names difficult (i.e. Aidan Morgan, nope!)

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Re: Irish Boy Names

• leighryleighry member
    edited March 2017
    I've always love Seamus. I think Seamus Ryan goes well.

Also
    Conor
    Gerald
    Callum
    Padraic/Padraig
  • Loading the player...
  • Seamus
    Sean
    Dermott
    Connor
    Patrick
    Cormac
    Rory

• A lot of the Irish boy names I like don't go well with Ryan! Here are the ones I like the best.

Connor Ryan
    Liam Ryan
    Garrett Ryan
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • My favorite Irish boys names that I don't think are as common are Declan, Finn, Connall, Callan, and Rafferty. 
  • I'm glad you ladies like Liam!! Good point @Bringmemylongswordho

I also love Finn @ashley1153 but DH shot it down, sad face.

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

• Daniel
    Quinn
    William nn Liam 
    Sean

• Names aren't as common as the Jessicas (I'm a Jennifer), but I teach in an elementary school, and I'll just be honest and say Liams are a dime a dozen. It just doesn't feel unique or special or like "oh I love that name!" anymore. I think you have much better suggestions: Connor, Sean, Declan, Callan, Garrett
  • Lots and lots of Liams (and even more Finns) where I live. I would choose something more distinctive: 

Cormac 
    Hugh (love this)
    Brendan
    Brody
    Niall
    Pierce
    Grady

• Liam is a great name!  Use it!
  • We had this same debate so I went to nameberry.com and looked up Irish names. Luckily it didn't pull up millions of names and not too many crazy ones. I think if you both love Liam, then go with it! Good luck!
  • Niall. So good.
  • If you both love Liam, then use it!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • seamus is my all time favorite

• I love the name Liam! And Liam Ryan is cute yet will be a great name in a professional world too. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Oct. '17 June S.C. "You Had 1 Job"

• Personally I feel that Liam Ryan is indeed a cute name -- but that's the thing. Cute is cute on a baby. He'll be a man before you know it -- I would go for William Ryan nn Liam so he can at least have the full name at the top of a resume. I also don't like two, 2-syllable, 4-letter names together. Maybe find a different middle if you love Liam?

Liam Alexander?
    Liam James?
    Liam Andrew?