TTC After a Loss

AF After a Loss --What to Expect

After having an MC at 12 weeks, I'm finally at the stage where I'm waiting for AF to arrive!  I had a D&C in February to remove the excess tissue and I bled afterwards for a little over 2 weeks.  All the bleeding has finally stopped.  My doctor told me that AF should arrive within 4-7 weeks after the D&C.  At my 2 week checkup, I was told that my ovaries and cervix looked great and that my DH and I can start trying after my first normal cycle. Tomorrow marks the 4th week since my D&C and I'm not not having any symptoms (sore breasts, etc.) that AF will arrive.  Before my MC, I had a normal 28-29 day cycle. 

Ladies, if you can share your experiences, I'd greatly appreciate it!  I'm not sure what to expect and I'm eager for AF to arrive so that me and my DH can start trying again. 
- How long did it take you to get your AF post MC/D&C?
- How does your period post MC/D&C compare to your period beforehand?  Did it take a while for you to go back to a normal cycle or did you have a normal cycle right away?
- Did it take you a while to ovulate?  Did you track your ovulation using an ovulation kit? 

This was my first pregnancy and MC so I'm not sure what to expect. Many thanks in advance for all of your help!
**~About Me~**
Married: 06/13/16
BFP: 10/25/16     MMC: 01/24/17 (12 weeks)
BFP: 04/23/17     Due Date: 01/01/18

Re: AF After a Loss --What to Expect

• Hi @laurenjt808 ! I wish I could help, but I'm in the same situation as you right now. I had a D&C after a MMC three weeks ago and am waiting for my period to come back. My first MC was at 6ish weeks and I got my period back right away. Hoping it comes soon, because we are wanting to try again right away too. 

Good luck. Hoping you don't have to be on this board long. 
    MC 5W5D - 5/13/16
    MMC 9W0D - 2/16/17 - D&C 2/24/17 

• @laurenjt808 - So sorry you are going through this.

For me, I had a natural MC at 9w1d. After the doctor and ultrasound confirmed MC, the bleeding lasted about 7 days with spotting on the 8th day. Then I had a 32 day cycle with spotting on CD32 (my cycles average at 29 days). Then AF came the next day.

I had been on BC for 5 years prior to TTC, so my periods had regulated into relatively short (3-4 days) and light to medium. My first two periods after the MC were much heavier, and had lots of tiny clots. They also lasted about a day longer than normal. I also had more pronounced cramps. By the third period, it was closer to normal length but still heavier than I had been used to.
    By the fourth period, everything was pretty much normal for me. I also was really stressed and depressed those first few months after the loss too, so take your own stress level into account, and know that it may affect your next cycle or two also.

• Loading the player...
  • I had a D&C last year with a crazy episode of bleeding about 5 days post-op where I think I expelled some remaining tissue.
    I had a D&E at the end of January of 2017.

In both cases, I had my period back by 6 weeks. I think after the first it was 5 weeks after the bleed I experienced and the 2nd one was 5 weeks after my D&E. I generally have cycles that are 25 - 27 days, so the first cycle after my surgeries were longer but not by much. My periods returned to normal length and then normal cycle length after the first cycle. 
    **** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Thanks so much for sharing!  I'm approaching week 5 post D&C and still no sign of AF.  It's frustrating with all the waiting because I no longer know what to expect.  I'm just so eager for AF to arrive so that my husband and I can start trying again.  My doctor told me that some women find that they're very fertile post MC/D&C so I'm very hopeful! 
    **~About Me~**
  • @laurenjt808 Are you benched for one cycle?  Or, can you try right away?
  • did you have a post-op after D&C? I had one at 4 weeks and OB did a quick ultrasound. she said she likes to do it at that time to try and predict when ovulation will occur. Based on what she saw she thought I was about to ovulate, but turns out I had probably just ovulated. After both surgeries I was told to call after 6 weeks with no AF - you are almost there! When in doubt - call!
    **** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • AF showed up about six weeks after my D&C. I was 11 weeks along when I found out I had a MMC.  
  • Thanks so much ladies!  I think I just got my first AF post D&C.  I'm spotting and it's enough that I am just using a liner.  Is it normal to have a light flow for the first menstruation post D&C?  I'm guessing the flow will pick up in a few days.  I am having some cramps and a headache but it's bearable.  I'm just so thankful for any sign of AF that I'll take the cramps and headache any day.

@justsuzie thanks for asking!  I was told to wait until I get my first AF before me and my husband try again.  If what I have is my menstruation, I'm very eager to try once I ovulate!  I used the Clear Blue ovulation kits when we were trying to get pregnant (pre-MMC) and I got pregnant on our first try!  I'm hopeful this will be the case as well.  My doctor mentioned that a lot of women find themselves fertile after an MMC and/or D&C. 

@ladipale I had a post-op 2 weeks post D&C.  My doctor and the surgical staff also called every few days post D&C to followup with me.  At the post-op appointment I had just stopped bleeding.  I had a medium flow for the two weeks post D&C and my doctor told me that it can happen.  My doctor also told me that tests done on my tissue were "normal" and that my cervix looked normal as well. 

Crossing my fingers that I've finally gotten my first AF.  If this is the case, it's different than what I'm used to.  I normally start off with a medium flow right away which then picks up to a heavier flow on day 2-3. 
    **~About Me~**