Trying to Get Pregnant

TTCAL Check-in Week of 3/20/17

I hope it's ok that I started this... Hadn't seen it posted yet (and hey, look! It's my first discussion!)

**This is a general trigger warning that CP, miscarriage / spontaneous abortion, selective abortion due to medical complications, and / or stillbirth may be mentioned.**

I figured there are a bunch of us, so it might be nice to have a thread here in addition to TTCAL to encourage anyone who wants to participate from either board.

Introduce yourself and anything you think is important (age, number of loss(es), when you had the loss(es) , diagnosis / conditions surrounding loss, etc.)

How are things going?

Any testing coming up?

Any recent results? 

How is your partner dealing?

Me: 30 | DH: 31
Met: August 2006
Married: July 2012
TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

BFP: 7/12/16 | MC: 9/12/16
BFP: 1/18/17 | MMC: 2/13/17
BFP: 10/7/17 | EDD: 6/21/17

MTHFR: homozygous A1298C

Re: TTCAL Check-in Week of 3/20/17

• Loading the player...
  • @icecubeinthedesert glad to hear you are doing better!
    @purplg8r I'm so sorry to hear about the cyst. That is so scary! I'm keeping you in my thoughts that everything turns out okay.

Introduce yourself and anything you think is important (age, number of loss(es), when you had the loss(es) , diagnosis / conditions surrounding loss, etc.)
    I'm 28 and DH is 26. I had a MC at 6 weeks in December. They took a sample of the tissue but no tests were done on it other than confirming it was the fetus...  

How are things going? Not bad. It took DH and I a while to feel comfortable TTC again as it was a very painful experience. It ended up being 2 cycles of TTA so that we could heal. I think we are both getting excited again at the prospect of getting KU, but we will be very tight lipped with people in RL if we do get KU. Last time, we made the mistake of telling people way to soon and it was terrible explaining the MC to them. 

Any testing coming up? No

Any recent results? No

How is your partner dealing? He is pretty good. We've been HIO more than normal so he is not complaining! 
  • starlastarla member
    edited March 2017
    @icecubeinthedesert Too bad they couldn't test the sample. Hurray for starting your first thread!
    @purplg8r I hope you can still enjoy your trip. I know that this type of thing can be really scary and stressful. I hope everything's alright!
    @darkrose88 I'm glad that it sounds like you and your H are moving on.

I'm 33 and DH is 32. We had one loss just at the beginning of this month. I ended up taking Misoprostol at 11.5 weeks or so because nothing was happening and the baby stopped growing at 7w+5d (although was measuring behind). I had only found out a few days prior.

How are things going? OK.. I'm pretty frustrated at the moment, but spotting has finally more or less stopped. My temperatures are all over the place.

Any testing coming up? Nope. Everyone seems to think that I'm healthy and this was just a horrible fluke.

Any recent results? My U/S showed everything was cleared out and my ovaries and lining looked healthy.

How is your partner dealing? I think he's OK. I'm trying not to show how obsessive I'm being over getting KTFU again. I don't know if he quite gets it. He often keeps feelings to himself.
    Me: 34 | DH: 33
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    BFP Jan. 15, 2017; MMC Mar. 4, 2017 at 10w6d
    BFP Jun. 5, 2017; MMC Aug. 2, 2017 at 11w6d
    BFP Nov. 20, 2017; ended in CP
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.
    BFP Dec. 25, 2017; EDD Sep. 5, 2018; DD arrived Aug. 26th
    My chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/63f71d

• @icecubeinthedesert Sorry they couldn't tell anything from the tissue. Have fun at your conference.
    @purplg8r I hope everything turns out okay with your cyst! Your husband sounds like mine. He can handle things going wrong with the pregnancy and bad infertility news, but if it comes down to something hurting me, he gets very concerned. I really hope you are able to enjoy your trip. Sending good vibes your way!
    @darkrose88 That's good you are starting to heal and feel like TTC again. We also told people about the pregnancy right away, and we haven't decided when we want to tell people if we get knocked up again.
    @Starla Good luck with not obsessing. That's where I am. For me, I feel like having the MC made it even harder not to obsess.

We're both 29. We had an early MC a couple weeks ago. I have PCOS.

How are things going? Okay. I should get the clear to start trying again soon, and I'm looking forward to getting past this and just moving forward with TTC again.

Any testing coming up? B/W on Wednesday to see if my HCG is negative.

Any recent results? No.

How is your partner dealing? He's fine right now. We've both been much better this week.
  • @darkrose88 was the TTC painful physically or just emotionally?

@starla really hoping it was just a fluke for you

@madspunk I hope your hcg is at 0!!

• @purplg8r The TTC itself wasn't painful, just the aftermath of losing the baby. Since I had an early MC it wasn't really painful physically... the bleeding just lasted forever, which was a constant reminder of the loss... so more emotionally painful. 
  • Introduce yourself and anything you think is important (age, number of loss(es), when you had the loss(es) , diagnosis / conditions surrounding loss, etc.) I am 30, DH is 31. BFP after first cycle of TTGP in Oct 2016 and found out at our first appt/ultrasound that I would likely miscarry. My u/s showed a sac with nothing inside it and my blood work showed that my progesterone had dropped too low. My HCG levels were increasing slowly but not doubling, so it was ruled an abnormal pregnancy and it was too late to start taking progesterone supplements. Sure enough about a week later (8 weeks pregnant) the natural process started happening but it was taking too long so my obgyn strongly suggested a d+c, which I had the day before Thanksgiving. The tissue went through testing and my obgyn seemed very positive about the results, telling me that there is no underlying problems and that she had full confidence I would carry to term eventually.

How are things going? Okay. I still feel bitter when I see a pregnancy announcement on social media and I have to keep a safe distance from my SIL who is whiny, pregnant and "wouldn't wish this on anyone" (it takes a lot for me not to defend everyone on this board and burst out that she should be so lucky). However now that we're back in the swing of things with TTGP (currently in the TWW of our 2nd cycle), I am feeling happier and more positive about the future.

Any testing coming up? Not until I get a BFP. My obgyn also said I would get special treatment when that day comes, and that they will be tracking my levels earlier so that they can keep an eye on my progesterone.

Any recent results? 

How is your partner dealing? He's been awesome. One positive thing that came from all of this was that when I first told him I was pregnant last fall, he was happy but also really nervous. When the MC happened, he was devastated and told me he didn't realize how much he wanted to be a father until he momentarily lost the chance. When it was time to TTGP again he was fully on board and even more ready to start trying again.
    Me: 33 DH: 34
    Married: Oct 2015
    TTC #1: Sept 2016
    BFP: 10/19/16 ~ blighted ovum ~ D&C 11/23/16
    BFP: 3/24/17   <3  DD1 born 12/2/17
    TTC #2: July 2018
    BFP: 8/26/18 <3  DD2 born 5/16/19

• @purplg8r I hope your doing ok today, thinking about you
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• @peachy13 That's good news from the doctor. It's sad that it took a loss for your DH to realize how much he wanted to be a father, but at least now he's even more on board. GL in TWW!
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.

• @wabash15 thank you!  I'm still stressing but physically the same (only hurts if I press on it/lean against something or bend over).  We did a ropes course after lunch and I was hurting but then the pain happened on the other side too so I think it was just side stitches (it went away after about 3 min). 
  • @purplg8r hugs and hang in there, you'll be home soon. Try to have fun on the rest of your trip!!
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• @purplg8r HUGS! I'm so sorry that you're going through that abroad. So glad to hear your numbers are dropping though, that's a great sign.

@peachy13 That's so good to hear that your doctor has a game plan in place when you get your next BFP. FX you get it soon.

@madspunk FX for 0 hcg! I hope they get back to you quickly - waiting for those calls is so hard.

@Starla I hear you on trying to kind of mask the TTC tunnel vision from DH. Once that idea is there, even with the heartache it's nearly impossible for me to really think about much else. I think it's a decent coping mechanism to trying and not focus too much on our losses. Hoping your temps even out soon.

@darkrose88 Glad to hear you guys are feeling ready to hop back in the saddle! (pun not intended)

@icecubeinthedesert So sorry to hear that the testing wasn't as helpful as it could have been. GL in cleaning up your diet, though! I need to follow suit - any tips or sources for cutting back on processed foods?

I'm 29, DH is 31. Started miscarrying about a week and a half ago at 6w. 2nd loss since starting TTC in August, 5th overall. No diagnosis.

How are things going?

Things aren't great, but I am feeling a bit better. I hate wasting days/good will at work to go and get testing/ultrasounds/etc. since I'd like to hoard for a maybe one day maternity leave so I am kind of ragey about that, but it is what it is.

Any testing coming up?

I have an appointment with my OB on 4/21 to talk about recurrent losses and get some blood drawn. They want to wait about a month so everything is back to normal, which I get but it goes against every fiber in my body to just forgo a month of TTC if I am able.

Any recent results? 

Dr's office just called - HCG is under 5 so no need to come back in which is always a relief.

How is your partner dealing?

Per usual, level headed and calm, cool and collected for the most part. He is going to start getting on my case for being lazy around the house soon so I really need to work on being a better partner to him since he has been so supportive of me. I am dreading sex though and I know it won't be too long before he'll ask.

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• @flowerpower5838 It's good your HCG is dropping and almost down to zero. I think it's OK to grieve and be lazy. Is there any way you can explain to DH?
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***

• @flowerpower5838, sorry you're here with the rest of us. I hear you on how its hard to get back in the swing of things while still having testing on the agenda. As for diet, I'm just focusing on cooking as many of my meals as possible. I like to use the Mealime app for meal planning and grocery lists, since it helps me figure out what to cook and have the food in the house to cook it. I'm trying to limit foods with enriched flour, so less bread (unless it's 100% whole grain) and more leafy greens. I treated myself to a green smoothie earlier this week for breakfast, and need to get back into the habit of making them myself at home.

Update from me: HPT yesterday still had a very faint line, so I'm guessing ovulation (if it happens) is a ways out yet. Today I missed the conference talk about RPL. Bummed about that, but I had a really positive work related meeting instead. I did get to hear about the current status of prenatal screening, including the leading causes of false positive results. Really interesting (at least to a science nerd like me). 

TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

• edited March 2017
    Wanted to add more info on the diet modifications I'm making due to MTHFR, as reducing folic acid consumption is not advisable prior to or during pregnancy. MTHFR mutations reduce the body's ability to convert folic acid (the inactive form) to folate (the active form). This is what the baby needs early on for proper neural tube development and other things. In the 90s, the US government (as well as other major developed countries) mandated enriching flour with folic acid to lie the rate of these defects. Now some other processed foods also contain folic acid. However, with the mutation, you get a buildup of folic acid, which can actually block the function of folate. Basically, I'm trying to focus on replacing the doc acid supplements with natural sources, which all contain active folate.

I should also mention that there is conflicting clinical evidence that MTHFR mutations really cause miscarriage. My doctor brushed it off, and current obgyn guidelines do not recommend this test. I found out as part of a thrombosis panel due to family history, and insurance denied coverage if this test due to conflicting evidence. But I feel that if there's something as easy as changing a PNV and eating better, why not try it? But if you opt to limit processed foods, make sure you compensate with folate or folic acid elsewhere.

TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

• @icecubeinthedesert that's awesome that your work conference is so relevant to your personal TTC life. What exactly do you do for work?
    I've seen the MTHFR in diagnoses on the board before and never really knew what that meant. Interesting stuff. I never stop being intrigued by the science of TTC and trouble TTC. 

@flowerpower5838 That stinks you have had to miss work for all your appointments. I've been luck yet in that usually I'm able to schedule them around work. Yay for HCG below 5!

My Update: My HCG is officially negative. I go in for a U/S tomorrow to make sure everything is baseline and then I can start an injectable cycle. I am really excited that I'll probably be back to TTC tomorrow but also nervous. I am getting my hopes up that I'll get KTFU right away and I know that there's a high chance that won't happen... But now I at least have some forward movement so that's good. 
  • @madspunk,  I do cancer research (mostly ovarian), and this is a genetics conference I'm at. 

TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

• I was just talking with a new coworker about how long we'd been married and having kids. She asked if we wanted to have kids soon, and I just replied that I had had two miscarriages in the past year. Her response: "girl, you just need to relax!" I dedicate my TP thursday to her. I just hope she doesn't go blurting it around, and now I regret telling her and should have mentioned it wasn't something everyone knew about. On the other hand, I kind if feel like if everyone does find out, maybe it will educate people on the fact it happens more often than you think and it's not just a "hey, relax" kind of thing. Guys, I work at a genetics institute!

TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

• @icecubeinthedesert Wow how insensitive, ignorant, and rude! I'm sorry you had to deal with that and I hope she doesn't blab about it to anyone. 
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***

• @icecubeinthedesert Holy hell. What is wrong with that lady? "Girl, you just need to relax" is not a good first impression to make with your new coworker! Props to you as I'm sure you kept your cool somehow through that.

I keep wondering what I'll do the next time someone asks if/when I'm having kids. Through the past year of IF, I've been able to say "some day" or "when we get around to it" through gritted teeth, but my feelings about the MC make it harder to hide the truth - and I think along the same lines as you - maybe it will educate people if I say the truth, and we will start talking more openly about IF and MC.