July 2017 Moms
Options

Two dogs and a baby...in a car. How do you do it?

So, we have two pugs who, as of now, have full reign of the back seat of the car. They love going for rides and, unfortunately, the only dog parks on our side of the city have to be driven too from where we live. That said, I'm worried about having the two dogs in the back seat with the baby because I'm almost sure they'll climb on him, given the chance. 

Has anyone used any sort of dog harness or barrier that worked to keep dogs put in the car? Thanks in advance for the help! 

Re: Two dogs and a baby...in a car. How do you do it?

• Options
    Officially dogs should be in a crate while traveling in a car, so that's probably a good place to start. 
    My sister has two chihuahuas and they share one crate.
    I have a harness/seatbelt for my dog, but I'm pretty sure that allows enough freedom to climb on the baby if she wanted to.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    clioclio member
    As a fellow pug owner, one thing I've learned about the breed is that they aren't the greatest in the car, lol. I'd recommend getting them used to riding in a crate before baby arrives to reduce the chaos.
  • Options
    julebug773julebug773 member
    edited March 2017
    @MrsLa3 Gee. Thanks for the needlessly snarky/unhelpful response. 
  • Options
    @Clio Thanks for responding :) Pugs are crazy, aren't they? They do love the car, but you're probably right - a crate might be the way to go if we can find a harness that would keep them from jumping around. 
  • Options
    @MrsLa3 You did suggest a crate, with a side of, "trying to figure out why you are putting your dogs feelings (maybe?) Over your child." Reads kinda judgy and, yes, unhelpful. 
  • Options
    @julebug773 I have no personal experience but I do know of some people who use crates when they have baby in the car and a harness otherwise! il tag u in the intro post of you could just introduce yourself it's a pinned post, see you around! :)
  • Options

*potential snark ahead*

Well, considering @julebug773 that, prior to this post, you posted on our board a grand total on once, and we know nothing about you other than you're due at the end of July (from your ONE post in February) and have two pugs, I don't think any of what @MrsLa3 said was anything more than what people that have been around since November and contributed were thinking.

But, yes, please use us as your personal search engine without contributing to our community...we love that around here.

• Options
    Wow. Remembering why i never posted anything when I signed up in November... There's a lot of petty, cliquey women on this board, it would seem. Pardon me for mistaking that the point of a message board is to ask questions. Didn't realize it would be such a giant inconvenience to the group. 

Best of luck with your pregnancies :) 
  • Options
    The point actually is not to "ask questions". And yeah. Sure. I'm sure that's why you didn't post back in november. But if you think the point of this place is to "ask questions" then I'm glad you didn't post. 

BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• Options
    @Rae1 Do I expect help? No. Of course not. Which is why people are more than welcome to either answer if they have helpful info, or ignore the question...I searched for a question online and wanted to get an idea of what other people with kids have done in similar situations. Some women were nice enough to offer responses/insights on things they'd done (which, apparently my mistake, I thought was kinda the point of internet boards). Another woman was more concerned that I wasn't already of full fledged member of the clique and responded in a way I thought was needlessly snarky. So I called her on it. Because, like many of you, I'm pregnant, full of hormones, dealing with a lot of shit, and not really feeling like putting up with a bitchy attitude from someone I've literally never met.

It's great that it seems so many of you have found a supportive community here, and sorry I didn't see all the rules before posting my question. But this is clearly not a place I would be posting again, so maybe just ease up and don't take it quite so seriously? The internet is toxic enough as it is. 
  • Options
    @Rae1 Do I expect help? No. Of course not. Which is why people are more than welcome to either answer if they have helpful info, or ignore the question...I searched for a question online and wanted to get an idea of what other people with kids have done in similar situations. Some women were nice enough to offer responses/insights on things they'd done (which, apparently my mistake, I thought was kinda the point of internet boards). Another woman was more concerned that I wasn't already of full fledged member of the clique and responded in a way I thought was needlessly snarky. So I called her on it. Because, like many of you, I'm pregnant, full of hormones, dealing with a lot of shit, and not really feeling like putting up with a bitchy attitude from someone I've literally never met.

It's great that it seems so many of you have found a supportive community here, and sorry I didn't see all the rules before posting my question. But this is clearly not a place I would be posting again, so maybe just ease up and don't take it quite so seriously? The internet is toxic enough as it is. 
    it's not so much about the rules, and just about respect for the people who have been here since November forming friendships. You do whatever you want, and so will we. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    So, we have two pugs who, as of now, have full reign of the back seat of the car. They love going for rides and, unfortunately, the only dog parks on our side of the city have to be driven too from where we live. That said, I'm worried about having the two dogs in the back seat with the baby because I'm almost sure they'll climb on him, given the chance. 

Has anyone used any sort of dog harness or barrier that worked to keep dogs put in the car? Thanks in advance for the help! 
    QFP

MRW I saw your post: 
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Just in case anyone else is interested in the primary topic- we have two dogs that were too large to crate in the focus that we had when DS was born, but both rode well in the car. To ensure safety of LO,  the dogs moved to the front seat and I rode in back with DS.  
  • Options
    "Is butter a carb??"
  • Options
    Also, FYI - "While airbags are a great safety asset to adults in the time of an accident, they can wreak havoc on tots anddogs. If your car does not have a passenger-side airbag, however, it is usually acceptable for the dog to ridealong in the front seat, as long as they are properly restrained." 

This is from the DMV.
    Married: 10/13/2013
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017