Trying to Get Pregnant

GTKY Wedding Edition!

Share with us what your wedding was like!  What did you do that was traditional?  What was not so traditional?  Did you break any etiquette rules?  Was it the magical day everyone said it would be? Include as much or as little detail as you would like and feel free to share pictures if you so desire!

"It's time to try defying gravity."

Me: 38  DH: 38
Married 6/11/16
TTC Since 6/2016
12/2016 RE appt; 1/2017 SA & HSG results - all normal
3/2017 Dx Hyperprolactinemia; 5/2017 Prolactin levels normal; 8/2017 Low Ovarian Reserve
8/2017 TTA for personal reasons; 10/2017 NTNP; 12/2017 Re-start TTC
7/2018 Clomid+IUI
11/2018 Letrozole+TI
12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
2/2019 NTNP
5/2019 Stopping all TTC efforts; living Childfree

Re: GTKY Wedding Edition!

• Loading the player...
  • @jsnakehole I wore a dress from modcloth too! I love their stuff! 
    Me: 32 DH:33
    Married 9/2015
    TTC #1 6/2016
    BFP: 4/21/2017 - CP
    Dx Unexplained IF 6/2017
    Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI 7/2017 - Cancelled (overstimulated)
    Letrozole + Ovidrel + IUI #1 - BFN
    Letrozole + Ovidrel + IUI #2 -BFN
    Letrozole + Ovidrel + IUI#3 - BFP! EDD July 15 2018
    Baby Girl H - July 22 2018

• Our wedding was in our hometown. We kind of had a perfect storm of events in the week leading up to it. My grandmother, who I was very close with, passed away the week before and I was devastated. Additionally, we were married the weekend that Hurricane Sandy was due to come our way. It did not, but we were on standby to potentially cancel the whole thing. While we were very fortunate to have been spared from the storm, a good portion of our bridal party (3 bridesmaids and 2 groomsmen) were from the Northeast and it was just all around an unfortunate situation where nobody won. Our turnout ended up being quite small when all was said and done which was understandable.

Our rehearsal dinner was in my parent's backyard. We had a tent, sunflowers as centerpieces, and catered BBQ from one of our favorite restaurants. This was cheaper than dining out and since so many of our guests were from out of town, we didn't want to exclude anybody. In hindsight, the relaxed vibe of the rehearsal dinner was much more enjoyable than the formal wedding reception I think. 

Our ceremony was not very traditional. We were married by a close family member under a gorgeous oak tree and decorated the space pretty minimally. Close family members read passages that we picked out that meaningful to us. Our cocktail hour and reception were more formal, however. We worked with a fantastic venue who guided us to all of our vendors, who were all great. This made it pretty easy to plan. If it were up to DH and I, we would have truthfully eloped because of how much I hate being the center of attention, but the wedding honestly made a lot of our family members so happy that I don't regret it one bit.

I didn't realize how few pictures we had until now without people in them (which I'd rather not post for privacy reasons), but here are a couple from that day...

The wedding ring in the picture belonged to my late grandmother, and the pin to my late grandfather.

This is a picture of the reception venue, though the lighting from my phone probably doesn't do it justice. It also had a terrace where the cocktail hour was held and where the bar was. The black gift boxes on the chargers were little boxes of homemade fudge from a local mom & pop ice cream shop that we used to frequent when we dated in college and was one of my favorite details from the wedding. 

• @Tennis11785  love the personal touches you mentioned. Now I'm craving lobster... I agree that a day of coordinator is a great thing if you're fortunate enough to have one. My SIL got married a few months before us and at the start of her reception, they learned that the DJ did not have the first dance song that she had selected. The coordinator actually went out to Target, got the CD, and got back just in time. From that moment I realized how important/dedicated a good one can be.

@ali_gator11 Your wedding sounds like what DH and I realized at our rehearsal dinner that we should have done all along. Low-key can definitely be the way to go!

@jsnakehole I love Modcloth. I was a little disappointed to learn that they recently partnered with Jet.com and the Walmart corporation. I hope their products don't change too much. Also, your wedding menu was my kind of style.

@lulu1180 My best friend is a die hard Browns fan and it's rubbed off on me enough that I usually root for them too.  :)  I love that you incorporated them into your colors (at least I am assuming this is the team you're referring to).

@laurad75 Oh, wow. Hats off to you for staying calm throughout that change. I think I would have been a wreck. I'm glad your good Excel habits were there to save the day  ;)

• I love all of these wedding stories! 

Everyone kind of thought we would elope, but we decided to do the traditional wedding with an 18 month long engagement. We had the fastest full catholic wedding I've ever been to. @lulu1180 we had the full mass and communion and it was still about 25 minutes. (our priest literally had other plans that night). We were non-traditional in that we had guys and girls in both parties, some ladies on DH side and guys on mine. The bridesmaids wore black dresses from j.crew. Our reception was great, people are still talking about the food, 5 years later. If I could change one thing, I would've given our DJ more direction his song choices were, um, interesting. I also would've gotten a smaller cake, I had no idea the reception place served dessert and we had an entire layer of our cake (excluding the top) left over, not that it's a bad thing, who doesn't love cake.  We had such a great day. It was just so much fun!

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• @lulu1180 maybe we can just be friends until football season begins  ;)

• hahaha sounds good @hartmich!

"It's time to try defying gravity."

Me: 38  DH: 38
    Married 6/11/16
    TTC Since 6/2016
    12/2016 RE appt; 1/2017 SA & HSG results - all normal
    3/2017 Dx Hyperprolactinemia; 5/2017 Prolactin levels normal; 8/2017 Low Ovarian Reserve
    8/2017 TTA for personal reasons; 10/2017 NTNP; 12/2017 Re-start TTC
    7/2018 Clomid+IUI
    11/2018 Letrozole+TI
    12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
    2/2019 NTNP
    5/2019 Stopping all TTC efforts; living Childfree
  • @Augusta108 I love the ring warming. I've never heard of that 
  • @purplg8r, that brings back so many memories for me! My best friend got married at Disney World and I was her Maid of Honor. She even let me ride in the coach with her! I'd never been to Disney before but I had a great time. 
  • @purplg8r omggggg that carriage! Every little girl's dream come true. What a fairytale wedding - so beautiful!! 

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• oooooh I always love these!!

I'll have to post pics later (can't get to them right now)

This is the second marriage for both of us, my first was huge and I wanted a very tiny wedding, DH got married in the courthouse last time so he wanted to have the to-do. So we had an intimate church to-do and it was amazing!

We got engaged on 10/26 and got married on 10/29! My parents decorated the church (we had been planning to get married in April so we had already been buying decorations lol second round when you both have kids plays out a lot differently than the first time) our colors were purple and green and we did a subtle burlap and lace type theme with mason jars w/ tea lights and purple petals at the end of each pew in the church. My sister made my dress (measured, fabric acquired, cut out, sewn and fitted in 7 hours total!) We had my sister and DH's nephew (16y/o) as the bridal party, told them both to just dress nicely and that our colors were purple and green if they could, but if not it was no big deal. Sister showed up in a bridesmaid's dress from 10 years before in a beautiful lavender color and nephew showed up in a dress shirt he bought for the wedding that was an exact match! Our nieces were the flower girls, each of our sons held mini treasure chests with our rings and my DS walked me down the isle. My mom helped me do my hair. I wore my chainmail/emerald earrings (prettier than they sound lol)-something old, had my custom dress- something new, DH's necklace from Ireland (a surprise to him)- some borrowed, and I found glittery blue shoes- something blue! My aunt made all the flowers and my mom organized a little reception at a restaurant in town with cupcakes and a little cake and topper for us to cut. DH's best friend handled all the music and photography/videography for the ceremony and reception (and actually the proposal too!) We ended up having around 30 people including us and the kids. We ended up using DH's aunt/uncle's condo at the beach for our honeymoon- yes, we got married at the end of October which is perfect for us at the beach because it was warm enough to walk the beach but cold enough that there was basically no one there. It was all perfect!!!
    Angel Babies 1&2 2/14/09
    DS born 3/11
    Angel Baby 3 6/28/11                                                         9/5/17 BFP!!
    divorced October 2014                                                       9/6/17 hCG 88 progesterone 9.1 (prometrium started)
    Married DH 10/15     DH's DS born 6/09                            9/8/17 hCG 242!!!
    Not preventing since 11/15                                                 EDD 5/8/18        Adjusted 5/15/18
    TTC since 1/1/16                                                                9/27/17 we have a heart beat!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy TrackerBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @purplg8r she's awesome. She made fondant figurines of our cat and dog. The cake was almond buttercream with strawberries inside. We still have the top layer in our freezer for this June.

The cake:

And me cracking up during the cake cutting. Notice, our extremely fancy paper plates that came from Dollar Tree. All of our plates/cutlery came to $19. 

Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC #1: 12/2016
    Benched due to deployment- Off the bench 8/8/17!

• I LOVE this thread - so so awesome learning about so many different ways you ladies celebrated!

Both DH and my parents are divorced/remarried - so our wedding was HUGE at 300 people. But it was the most wonderful day ever. We got married at the chapel at my alma mater (the only religious building that Frank Lloyd Wright designed - it's gorgeous), and had our reception in an auditorium on a lake in our hometown. The ceremony was at 11am, so we had brunch for our reception food (pancakes, biscuits and gravy, muffins etc), and the whole thing was over by 3pm, which was FABULOUS - I would do that over and over again. We were able to drive to a nice hotel on our wedding night, and had dinner at an amazing restaurant all by ourselves to celebrate, which was the best decision I could have ever made. 

My colors were navy and mint, and my mom handmade my birdcage veil, which now lives in a shadowbox for me to keep forever and ever. We had DH's cousin play acoustic guitar for our processional music, and did non-traditional songs (Tonight, Tonight by Smashing Pumpkins for processional, Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac for my entrance with my dad, and Somebody to Love by Queen for recessional). The first photo is our "guest book" that my cousin painted for us (we have all original art in our house, and this is proudly hanging on our living room wall). There were so many more special touches throughout, but it was the most special day of my life and I am so grateful for every minute.

Sorry if the pics are huge - this is my first try at the spoiler box, too!
    No automatic alt text available
    Image may contain 1 person wedding and closeup

Me:30  DH:30
    Married: 4/16
    TTC #1: 7/16 (NTNP 9/15)
  • kmallskmalls member
    edited March 2017
    @kaylev0430 did you happen to go to FSC? 

I *love* reading about everyone's weddings! The details are so unique and personal to each couple, it's such a window into what everyone is about. 

DH and I got married in May 2014 on Cape Cod. It was a surprisingly traditional affair -- until that point I never really considered myself traditional at all. We had a Catholic ceremony at a church (officiated by a longtime family friend who is also a Deacon) and our reception was at an Inn by the water. 

The whole thing was very New England and perfect for us. It was small, about 70 people total, but loud and fun. We had a steel drum band for cocktail hour and the first half of the reception, then a DJ to close out the night. Colors were various shades of dusty rose. 

I had had a great time and loved every second, but shit, it was also kinda stressful to plan and I'm glad it's over. One wedding is enough for me ;) 

• @kmalls I did! Class of 2012!
  • @kaylev0430 small world! I visited FSC on my tour o' Florida, though I ended up going to Rollins. I loved that campus, though! 
  • @kmalls SUCH a small world - Rollins is an awesome school!