October 2017 Moms

Meal Plan Monday 3.20

What are you ladies planning for the week?

Re: Meal Plan Monday 3.20

• Today: Baked BBQ Chicken
    Tomorrow: Salmon
    Wednesday: Ziti
    Thursday: Probably leftover ziti
    Friday, Saturday, Sunday: In-laws are in town and only eat out in restaurants. So restaurant food.
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • M: Not sure, maybe taco bell to satisfy a craving

T: Tacos because why not two days in a row?

W: Left Overs

Th: Cube steak with mashed potatoes

F: Grilled chicken and squash

• Loading the player...
  • blue apron x2. tacos. take out. mexican. food all over my body.
                                      DD1 - 10/11/13                 DD2 - 5/07/15

Pregnancy Ticker

May Siggy Challenge: Parenting Fails
    Image result for parenting fails
  • @carries2018 yes Mexican is my weakness right now!

• we went to mexican on Saturday. it was embarrassing how i was stuffing my face. but it was so worth it.
                                      DD1 - 10/11/13                 DD2 - 5/07/15

Pregnancy Ticker

May Siggy Challenge: Parenting Fails
    Image result for parenting fails
  • M: Frozen Pizza

T: Oven Baked Meatball Sandwiches w/ Salad

W: Cheesy Sausage Tortellini w/ Steamed Veggies

Th: 3 Cheese Chicken Alfredo Bake w/ salad

F: Lemon-Parmesan Angel Hair Pasta w/ Shrimp & Steamed Veggies & Garlic Bread

Then leftovers this weekend.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • @jessafishy you're my carb soul mate.
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @natleilynn Lol. What can I say? I love pasta!
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • You ladies are awesome. I'm feeling so inadequate now. I never really learned to cook much. I was spoiled by a family who always loved cooking (when I didn't) and they would feed me. Then I married a man who loves to cook and he took over feeding me. So I still don't really cook. It isn't that it turns out bad when I try. But because I never got much practice it isn't second nature for me so whenever I want to cook it takes me FOREVER to get all the ingredients and actually make it. I'm not efficient at it AT ALL. And now my husband's work hours and commute means that he doesn't get home until 8:30pm and he simply doesn't have the time or energy to cook anymore. So we eat a lot of prepared stuff or easy stuff. Our toddler eats and goes to bed before he gets home so she doesn't get the most awesome menu and I sort of wing it everyday without any sort of real plan. You guys seem like you have it all handled and together. Jealous!
  • @newtoo my secret is super fast/simple meals and meal prepping on Sunday afternoons :smile: Oh, and making enough to have leftovers at least once per week. Sometimes twice. 

And delivery pizza on Friday's because by then I am DONE.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @newtoo I promise I do not have it all handled and together, lol. My toddler still refuses to eat most food and usually sticks to PB&Js, corn dogs, or chicken nuggets. I also choose super easy to prep meals because I work full time and ain't nobody got time for dinner that takes 1 hour to cook. 

Probably at least one of these days will change to leftovers, but I like having a goal!
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • @natleilynn and @jessafishy, it sounds like you both have children already. How do you get anything done in the kitchen with the existing little ones. Recently I have actually tried to get better about making "real" food. Lol. But my 16 month old follows me around and gets in the way. Like SERIOUSLY underfoot. Grabbing my legs and trying to walk between them. Reaching to get picked up. Wanting me to give her food that I am cooking even if she just ate (which is especially ridiculous bec her thing is to demand food and then refuse it as soon as I put her in the high chair and give her something). If I block her access to the kitchen while I'm in there she she sits and cries while staring at me. She doesn't do this in all circumstances. She can play independently most of the time. But as soon as I enter the kitchen all bets are off and she needs me like NOW. Please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem. It doesn't help my efforts to get better at cooking. 

• @newtoo my secret is super fast/simple meals and meal prepping on Sunday afternoons :smile: Oh, and making enough to have leftovers at least once per week. Sometimes twice. 

And delivery pizza on Friday's because by then I am DONE.
    THe meal prepping on sundays is a great suggestion. Thank you!
  • @newtoo DS is 2.5 and at this point can be pretty occupied playing or watching Disney Jr while I cook. Up until about 6 months ago, though, I would have to wait until DH was home (which you obv can't do!) and he played with DS while I made dinner.

Do you have a crock pot? That might be a good way for you to try and get started! So many recipes are dump and go.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • @jessafishy I do have a crock pot. I think it is in the garage but I'm so willing to fish it out. That is a great idea too because we have a small place and using the oven makes it super hot inside. Which is fine in the winter but I live in southern cali where the temps have already jumped into the 80s and having a hot living space is just a big fat no. Crock pot would probably solve that problem too. Thank you for the help!!!
  • @newtoo as for the toddlers around, I've always kept a basket of toys in our kitchen/dinning area that's out of my way.  She usually entertains herself.  Oh and fridge magnets are the bomb dot com! 

If this doesn't work, I'll put her in her chair with something small the satisfy her.  cheese, fruit, crackers. 

• @newtoo on Sunday's - a lot of times, DD will want to help me. So I'll plan one thing that she really can help a lot with (like cookies) which makes her happy but afterwards she'll lose interest and go play on her own. Even during the week, I'll let her "measure" egg noodles or stir something or pick out her sides (do you want yogurt, apples, oranges or bananas with dinner?). Getting her involved more has helped - she gets excited because she can help mommy and she's also more likely to eat all of her dinner haha

I mean, like tonight's meal - I've already got the chicken prepped, I just have to stick it in a casserole dish with BBQ sauce and I'm good to go. Tomorrow if DH isn't home in time to grill the salmon, I'll throw it in some aluminum foil and bake it. For the ziti I'll probably go ahead and fix most of it tomorrow night (after DD goes to bed) so I can just throw it in the oven when I get home Wednesday night. Once it goes in the oven, I go hang out with DD or if she's playing on her own, I'll do stuff around the house until dinner time. 

Some nights I get home and don't even feel like putting forth that amount of effort so I have back up's in place - chicken nuggets, some freezer meals that just require sticking in the oven, etc. I have a spreadsheet at home that basically breaks up my meals between high, medium and low amounts of effort. haha. Basically if I want to have a big 'ol homemade meal, I do it on Sunday. It used to be my thing - I cooked and drank wine on Sunday afternoons. So now I just cook and drink sweet tea :smile:

Whew. That got long.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @newtooThis is one of my favorite SUPER easy crock pot recipes. 

And this Baked Ravioli is literally just layer ingredients in a baking dish and stick in the oven!

You can also buy plastic crock pot liners to make cleaning up your crock pot SUPER easy.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • And this Baked Ravioli is literally just layer ingredients in a baking dish and stick in the oven!

Heyyyyyy that's one of my current freezer meals! :D

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @newtoo like previous posters I think distracting the little ones is the way to go when you are in the kitchen. I second @mrs_fogue suggestion of fridge magnets. My DS is 25 months and obsessed with taking them off, putting them on, and shoving them under the fridge. 

My question for all you ladies who have LOs and cook is when do you stop making 2 meals? I feel like we are far off from my son eating things Indian food or chicken taco bowls, which are some of our staples. 

My meal plan this week....
    M - Chickpea curry 
    T - Slowcooker turkey meatball soup with kale 
    W - Shrimp and bean tacos 
    Th - left over soup 
    F-  Thai Green Chicken Curry 
    S / S - at inlaws for British Mothers Day. 

PSA- I love the app Meal Board for meal planning so easy to save recipes and plan for the week. And planning is the only way I survive. 
  • @Designmamauk I have no idea when to stop with the 2 meals. Right now it's just a battle I don't want to have to fight every day. Some weeks I get brave and fix him a small bowl of what we are having and sometimes he will try it and sometimes he won't. I just keep trying. 

Worse come to worse I make him a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread and call it a win.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • Designmamauk Just call me mom of the year over here.  If we have something I don't think she will eat (which is rare and mostly because of spice) then I break out a Gerber Toddler Meal.  :D  But I rarely make her her own meal.   
  • @Designmamauk as soon as she was old enough to eat what we eat, I stopped fixing her meals. There are a few meals (shrimp and rice being the main one) that she just flat out doesn't like, even after trying multiple times.  I'll generally fix those meals the day after something with leftovers so she can have that.  Otherwise, she eats what we eat.  If she just isn't in the mood for something, she can eat the side dishes.  I give her a pass for a few meals she just doesn't like.  But she doesn't get it just because she's not in the mood for it or just REALLY wants pb&just. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Luckily my almost 19 month old eats everything! Like all the time. Doesnt matter what it is. She just wants to eat and eat and eat. I know that will come to an end eventually, so right now i just enjoy it. 

M- Sausage, peppers and onions over rice
    T- Beef tacos
    W- Some version of baked chicken breast and steamed veggies
    Th- Buffalo chicken meatballs
    F-  Baked cheesy, garlic spaghetti squash with a tomato meat sauce.

• @Designmamauk I never make DD a separate meal unless we are eating something she can't eat because it will literally kill her (peanut, tree nut, and egg allergy here....). If she doesn't eat it, she doesn't eat (don't worry, she'll in fact live lol). I've seen friends make their kids separate meals FOR-EV-ER and I just decided I don't have time for that. If you're not already, I would at least offer what you're eating every night. Admittedly, sometimes I will "deconstruct" what we're eating to make it more plain (leave some spice off a piece of chicken, fix her a quesadilla instead of a taco, or if we're having something like curry with rice she'll just have rice with some of the chicken). I understand some kids are more difficult than others though when it comes to food.

Monday - Tacos
    Tuesday - Teriyaki chicken bowls
    Wednesday - Spaghetti with turkey meatballs
    Thursday - Asiago Crusted Chicken Breasts
    Friday - Pizza (friend coming into town)

That's my goal, anyway. Still need to go to the grocery store lol

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • @purplestars This was how my mom was with my sister and I once we started eating real food. I'm told I only went to bed hungry once and then I learned my lesson. I feel this is the same approach I'll take with my own. 
    Me: 29  DH: 32                                                                                          
    Married 9/27/2014
    TTC Since 1/1/2017
    BFP: 2/6/2017
    Due Date: 10/13/17
    pangur_ban_by_sequana-d31ja7y
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hey, random, but does anyone here make their own hummus? I got a food processor for Christmas but have only used it for guacamole lol anyone have a good recipe? I bought hummus today and apparently forgot how much I love it.

• @purplestars yep! It's delicious! Here is the recipe I use. I usually add more garlic than it calls for simply because I love garlic.

https://www.inspiredtaste.net/15938/easy-and-smooth-hummus-recipe/
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • @jessafishy you rock. I will be making this sometime this week!

• Monday - Bucatini with broccoli, spinach in a lemon olive oil sauce 
    Tuesday - Smoothies (husband likes smoothies for dinner, he says they make him sleep better - insert eye roll)
    Wednesday- TBD maybe pasta again
    Thursday - Smoothies ( I promised the husband we could have them 2x this week)
    Friday - Dinner at the In-laws. 
  • I hate cooking so pretty much anything I make, there is enough for at least 2-4 meals. That way I only have to cook a couple days a week. I just don't enjoy it-buying the ingredients, prepping, cooking, cleaning it up. Yuck. Grilling isn't too bad so that's our summer staple since it involves minimal effort. Personally I don't mind eating the same thing days in a row, doesn't work for everyone but works for us! I am very good about packing everything we eat with tons of veggies. I even put spinach in my chili!

Also I'm mean, if DD (almost 3) doesn't want to eat our dinner she can starve. If it's something I know she doesn't like or its spicey I will make her something quick like nuggets, Mac n cheese, etc. But about 90% of our dinners have something she likes. And I always have fresh fruit and veggies cut up and available for her to eat. 

Mon- pasta Primavera
    Tues - grilled chicken salads
    Weds - pasta Primavera
    Thurs- grilled chicken slalds
    Fri - pasta Primavera
    Sat - out to eat
  • Rileypie said:

Also I'm mean, if DD (almost 3) doesn't want to eat our dinner she can starve. If it's something I know she doesn't like or its spicey I will make her something quick like nuggets, Mac n cheese, etc. But about 90% of our dinners have something she likes. And I always have fresh fruit and veggies cut up and available for her to eat. 

Exactly how we are. She's allowed to have 2-3 meals that she just doesn't like, but in reality shrimp and rice is the only one she just flat out won't eat any of. She doesn't love linguini with clam sauce (even though she swears it's chicken) but she just picks out most of the clams. Sometimes I'll fix her something different if we're having steak or venison. But she can always have fruit and veggies and I don't limit those. So if she doesn't like the main course, she'll get yogurt, apples, bananas, oranges, green beans, etc. until her belly is full. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Monday - Bucatini with broccoli, spinach in a lemon olive oil sauce 
    Tuesday - Smoothies (husband likes smoothies for dinner, he says they make him sleep better - insert eye roll)
    Wednesday- TBD maybe pasta again
    Thursday - Smoothies ( I promised the husband we could have them 2x this week)
    Friday - Dinner at the In-laws. 

Smoothies for dinner?!!  I would be starving.

**June Siggy Challenge: You Had ONE Job!**

LO#2 EDD October 18th 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Idk but if any if you ladies are into buffalo chicken right now, i started making these buffalo chicken meatballs that are freaking amazing. They're gluten free and made with almond flour. So, so, so, so good!
  • @kkerner87 - I'll bite! I have a bag of almond flour in my pantry and I have no idea what to do with it. Bought it for one thing and have never used it again. DH will eat anything, so he'd go for some buffalo chicken meatballs! Recipe?
    Me: 31 DH: 35
    Married since 05.16.2009
    Expecting #1: 10.10.2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @acnd08 i kind of used this recipe. I did cut out the celery and bleu cheese and added about half a pack of a dry ranch seasoning packet and I almost doubled the almond flour. They were amazing. 

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/02/buffalo-balls-no-not-really-4.html
  • also,I made mine big so they were more dinner appropriate. Like made 8 meatballs out of a pound of ground chicken. I'm kind if craving them again lol
  • @kkerner87 - Those look awesome! Thank you!! 
    Me: 31 DH: 35
    Married since 05.16.2009
    Expecting #1: 10.10.2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kkerner87 these look amazing! Thanks for sharing. Now I'm going to need to find a place to by Frank's Red Hot in London.
  • @Designmamauk it is so good! It's even even better mixed with melted butter lol