May 2017 Moms

Baby Gear and Baby Item Recomendations - attempt #2

Re: Baby Gear and Baby Item Recomendations - attempt #2

• @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot Yes the major side-eye from the nurses is discouraging! I remember with DD1 on her bassinet they had a sign that said "I'm breastfeeding, no pacifiers!" Even though I never expressed not wanting her to have a pacifier... 
    I don't think nipple confusion is an issue either, DD1 supplemented with formula right away with no issues returning to breastfeeding. 

@Louise_Belcher Mam was a brand I was looking into! Glad to know they worked well for you. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • SKZWSKZW member
    @hp_momma DD was also a boob-obsessed pacifier refuser, so I have no recommendations. I'm hoping this kid will take one. I gave DD a pacifier as we were waiting to check out of the hospital and got major judgment from a nurse. 
    Total opposite here! A nurse had given my son one, at one point in the hosp, and I was on the "nipple confusion" bandwagon & wanted to hold off on giving him a paci... so the major grrrs went from me to her, haha.

I don't think this is related per se, but my son wouldn't take paci for a long time. He was boob focused. He'd be soothed by an adult's pinky, though, so we did that for a long time, trying a paci every so often, maybe once a week or two. He finally took to the paci at about 4 months old.

The biggest issue we had with pacis is the tongue-thrust move, you know, the spitting it out and then getting immediately upset that it was gone. And he was so tiny, he didn't know any better, so whatevs. But still... annoying. Some people swear by clipping it/pinning it to their clothes.

(My hubbs just chimed in: when his teeth came in, we went through pacis like gangbusters! They got sooo chewed up. So when you find a brand/type that works, be sure to stock up.)

We liked the Philips Avent natural/ortho ones. Glow in the dark for the win!! When the pacis leave the crib & hit the floor, they end up like 10 feet away sometimes, no joke! We loved the glowing ones.
  • Loading the player...
  • We used Avent Soothies. Biggest concern about pacifiers interfering with BFing is really that they may reduce the stim mama needs in the first few weeks to build up a supply. That is, paci could get offered more often than needed (skipping opportunities to nurse). That being said, we had a super needy firstborn who started using one on day 2 of life. We had a rocky BF journey but lasted >12 months. Do what works for you, and if you plan to breastfeed, try to have the pacifier at the bottom of your baby-soothing tricks list. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We used Tommee Tippee pacifiers, because we used the same bottles. I think we have it to her before left the hospital, but I can't remember. I don't believe in nipple confusion as DD went from bottle to breast to pacifier just fine. I will say that DD would usually fall asleep with her pacifier and as soon as she did I would take it out of her mouth. I didn't want her to get used to having it all night. I also took it away at 7 months and she never missed it. 
  •  We used the Avent soothies as well and then the ever-so-cute Wubanubs that had the same brand on them .  Luckily, DS self weaned from them around 3 months old and will only chew on his fingers when teething. 

We liked Avent as that's what the hospitals use and okay'd by the Dental community.

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• I'm really hoping this little guy doesn't like pacifiers. Not because of nipple confusion, but because the dental professional in me cringes at the thought of it. I'll use one if I have to (some of the girls at work did and while they hated the thought of it they never would have survived without them) because baby's comfort is way more important. I'm just crossing my fingers that it's a decision I won't have to make. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • My kids had Avent Soothies in their mouths the first time I met them.  Those worked for about 4 months, then all of a sudden DD decided she didn't like them anymore and we went to the other Avent ones until they both self weaned from the paci at 8 months (I guess I should feel lucky it was that easy).   

Keep all of those free paci samples until LO is paci weaned because you never know when you might need them.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• @hp_momma, we had good luck with the NUK pacifiers with DS. This go around, I've just collected a bunch of random 2 packs from different brands to try. They are cheap enough that I'd rather be prepared with options if she's picky. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I don't think my son took one until maybe 3 months? By then he would take the avent soothie kind of in the wubbanub at home which is nice because the wubbanub animal kind of acts like a weight to keep it from falling out too easily. He would take the pacifier after that point for naps and daycare but was mostly a boob baby. 

Wubbanubs were also great because we could leash them to the car seat and that helped rides to and from daycare a ton. 

Daycate stopped them at 12 months and we stopped at home at 15. 

May '17 labor memes
  • If you find that you want the weight of the wubbanub but your baby doesn't like the paci, check out Paci Plushies, it can go on almost any paci.

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    MTHFR 
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099

• I'm going through my registry trying to figure out what I actually need versus what is just a want and am wondering if anyone has thoughts on the Halo Bassinet. I swear we've discussed this before but the stupid bump search feature didn't turn anything up, so apologies if this is a repeat convo.  Anyway, we have the Rock N Play bassinet - the bassinet with the flat bottom, not the angled sleeper - that we used with DS and it was fine. However, I am drawn to the Halo because it swivels and you can raise it up to bed height (the RNP was always lower than the bed which meant I had to sit or stand up to get DS out).  Given that I'll be recovering from a mastectomy, I'm tempted to go with the easier option. However, I'll only be breastfeeding for a month and this is very likely our last baby, so I'm not sure if the price is worth it.  Any thoughts?
  • @RainyDays86 I planned on doing the Halo before I decided to double the stroller bassinet as the sleeping bassinet. It seems like a good option to me!

Pacifiers: I really hope baby will take one. I have a couple Avent Soothies, a Nuk, and a I think a Mam (samples). I really want to try a Nattersutten so I'm going to order one of those as well.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @nda_roxybabe If your going to order a Nattersutten you should check out Ryan and Rose! She makes adorable pacifier clips and is a Nattersutten retailer so you can order it as a set. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • hp_momma said:
    @nda_roxybabe If your going to order a Nattersutten you should check out Ryan and Rose! She makes adorable pacifier clips and is a Nattersutten retailer so you can order it as a set. 
    I follow her on IG! I used to make Paci clips, so I think I may make a couple. I keep forgetting to get the supplies though, so perhaps I order from her, haha.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @RainyDays86 I haven't used a Halo but I am borrowing one from a friend this time around.  She said it was awesome.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • We used the avent soothies.  They were great! little guy loved when we would put our pinky in the middle and he would suck on our finger.  Luckily he wanted nothing to do with a pacifier starting at around 7 months so we never had issue of weaning him.

Our 2 year old still uses the hooded towels and loves them.  He thinks they are a cape and when he gets out of the tub he yells "I'm batman" and runs into his room.  I love it!!!!

****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I've heard great things about the Halo too, and I think resale value is pretty decent on them!
  • @RainyDays86 I got the Halo for this time around. I got it from a local mom from Facebook Marketplace for $100. 
  • @RainyDays86 , I thought about a Halo but ultimately opted for the Fisher Price Rock and Play bassinet (with the flat bottom...probably the same one you have) because I would rather spend the money on other things and I'm hoping to transition her to her crib fairly early. That said, I can imagine that with the mastectomy, you'd want access to the baby to be as easy as possible. I say, get the Halo and resell it...the resell value seems pretty good! 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Re: the Halo, in a FTM but we were gifted one by family. It feels very sturdy and seems really nice. I like all the adjustable parts - height plus the swiveling in a few different directions is nice. I have friends who raved about it for sure. Just my $0.02. 
  • I'll scroll back through and read from the early days when people mentioned specific items, but maybe someone can make a suggestion for my dilemma. 

We currently have the City Mini GT and LOVE IT, and I had my heart set on the GT double. Sadly, I recently learned that they are no longer making an adapter for our infant seat (and I'm really not interested in buying another seat just to accommodate my favorite stroller.) I guess the a Bob Duallie would be my next choice, although it seems GIANT!!! I don't think I could be convinced to embrace a tandem (I've pushed some and it's not love) and we really need inflated tires because we live on a gravel road. 

Any ideas? 
  • @emilyalso check out the Bumbleride Indie Twin.  I wish I would have known about this stroller when we were stroller shopping originally for the twins.

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    MTHFR 
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099

• emilyalso said:
    I'll scroll back through and read from the early days when people mentioned specific items, but maybe someone can make a suggestion for my dilemma. 

We currently have the City Mini GT and LOVE IT, and I had my heart set on the GT double. Sadly, I recently learned that they are no longer making an adapter for our infant seat (and I'm really not interested in buying another seat just to accommodate my favorite stroller.) I guess the a Bob Duallie would be my next choice, although it seems GIANT!!! I don't think I could be convinced to embrace a tandem (I've pushed some and it's not love) and we really need inflated tires because we live on a gravel road. 

Any ideas? 
    What kind of infant seat do you have? Must be britax. Have you looked on Amazon for an older model of the adapter? It is annoying how certain brands only make adaptors for certain brands. 
  • lrwardrop said:
    emilyalso said:
    I'll scroll back through and read from the early days when people mentioned specific items, but maybe someone can make a suggestion for my dilemma. 

Any ideas? 
    What kind of infant seat do you have? Must be britax. Have you looked on Amazon for an older model of the adapter? It is annoying how certain brands only make adaptors for certain brands. 
    As far as I know, Baby Jogger is still making a britax adapter... I have it on my registry!
  • emilyalsoemilyalso member
    edited March 2017
    @lrwardrop - Chicco seat - I even called our local BBB and they confirmed that it won't work with the newer model+adapter. And, I'm not sure if an older adapter would work with the newer stroller. I feel like I would have to find an old pair being sold together. 
  • @emilyalso is it that new Keyfit that is supposed to last for 2 years?

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    MTHFR 
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099

• @chickyclg - I don't think so... Just the Keyfit 30. 
  • emilyalso said:
    @chickyclg - I don't think so... Just the Keyfit 30. 
    How weird, that's like a crazy popular car seat 

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    MTHFR 
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099

• emilyalso said:

Any ideas? 
    I love my Bob Duallie, but if you're planning on taking it in the car anywhere, I'd advise against it.  It's really really heavy.  Width-wise, though, I haven't had a problem fitting it through doors or anything.

It seems like Chicco adapters have come and gone from various manufacturers over the last year or so.  They might make a return.
    Feb 2012:  DS1 born 40w2d, 7 lb 11 oz, 20"
    May 2014:  DS2 born 40w3d, 10 lb, 23"

Due May 2017 with DD1!
  • I forgot to mention that I have a baby jogger stroller and I originally had a key fit 30, I hated the way it clipped into the adapter. It did not feel very secure to me. I ended up returning the seat and getting a maxi cosi with a different adapter. Much more secure. I can literally pick up the car seat and the stroller is firmly attached, with the key fit it was not like that. Now that I will have 2 kids I am getting the city mini gt double... I loved the bob duallie but they don't make an adapter for maxi cosi..
  • chickyclgchickyclg member
    edited March 2017
    lrwardrop said:
    I forgot to mention that I have a baby jogger stroller and I originally had a key fit 30, I hated the way it clipped into the adapter. It did not feel very secure to me. I ended up returning the seat and getting a maxi cosi with a different adapter. Much more secure. I can literally pick up the car seat and the stroller is firmly attached, with the key fit it was not like that. Now that I will have 2 kids I am getting the city mini gt double... I loved the bob duallie but they don't make an adapter for maxi cosi..
    This is the one thing I absolutely hate about Baby Jogger, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that the (extremely popular) Keyfit 30 fits like crap in the special adapters they make for it, and it's double or triple the price for the City Select for that terrible fit.

ETA: I also find it annoying that their strollers don't have a standing fold.

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    MTHFR 
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099

• chickyclg said:
    lrwardrop said:
    I forgot to mention that I have a baby jogger stroller and I originally had a key fit 30, I hated the way it clipped into the adapter. It did not feel very secure to me. I ended up returning the seat and getting a maxi cosi with a different adapter. Much more secure. I can literally pick up the car seat and the stroller is firmly attached, with the key fit it was not like that. Now that I will have 2 kids I am getting the city mini gt double... I loved the bob duallie but they don't make an adapter for maxi cosi..
    This is the one thing I absolutely hate about Baby Jogger, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that the (extremely popular) Keyfit 30 fits like crap in the special adapters they make for it, and it's double or triple the price for the City Select for that terrible fit.

@chickyclg this is the exact reason we went with the Vista and the Book for two this go around.  Haven't put my book for two together yet, but once I do I'll let you all know how it is.  I LOVE the basket on it though its HUGE!!!

****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • chickyclg said:
    lrwardrop said:

I have a City Mini as my car stroller and we ended up just buying a KeyFit Caddy for the infant seat time period.  It was basically the same price as the poorly fitting adapter...

Due May 2017 with DD1!
  • @skeetied I don't know if you are the type of person that would use an umbrella stroller in the future but we have the Chicco lightweight plus and you can also snap in the car seat.  I didn't need that feature when we bought that stroller but it will come in handy since it folds up really small.

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    MTHFR 
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099

• @chickyclg I had the original Liteway and the sun shade was so awful (like most of Chicco's strollers).  That's an awesome feature to have, though!  I would be so happy if our umbrella stroller (UPPAbaby G-Luxe) could do that, haha.

Due May 2017 with DD1!
  • Lurker from August17. So I was advised by a STM to get all Large or XL sleep sacks since they will eventually grow into them and the smaller ones are just a waste of money. I got a bunch of Halo's gently used for $3 each (SCORE!) but they look SO big! I'm terrified he will wiggle his way down and suffocate or something. Does anybody else recommend using the large sizes for all age babies or should I be getting a few in each size?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • WombThereItIsWombThereItIs member
    edited March 2017
    @budzynb You won't be able to get the velcro appropriately tight around them in a large for quite some time. Also the arm and head holes will be so large I would worry about them wriggling out. I was just debating using the size mediums I had from last time and even they looked too big for a new baby. The weight/size guidelines on the tags are actually pretty accurate for what will fit well. 

ETA: by the time they fit a large you probably won't be swaddling still anyway since they will likely be rolling over. Also some babies dig it and some hate it, I would only get one or two of the swaddle style in an appropriate newborn size and see how it goes. If baby hates them you can switch to the wearable blanket style without the swaddle wrap feature. 

May '17 labor memes
  • @budzynb I'm a FTM, but have seen lots of people in one of my FB groups using the sleep sacks and you definitely want the small sizes. Like @WombThereItIs once they get a little bigger you'll want arms out ones since they'll be rolling.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry