July 2017 Moms

July 2017 baby name ideas

Re: July 2017 baby name ideas

• Thankfully my mother is the only one who said anything negative. I actually told everyone else exactly what she said, and I'm pretty sure she feels like a jerk now. Everyone else, including my mother, all refer to her by name now. It stung at first, but I don't personally like keeping that secret. I love talking about her and to her by name. Now, DS calls her by name, too, which is the sweetest thing ever. I get keeping the secret, but it's just not my style.
  • @hyperangel_8509 since our girl name for this LO is Norah, I will share our (short) boy list in the hopes it might help you!!

Nolan
    Grant
    Elliott
    DH also likes Liam but I think it's too common and sounds goofy with our last name 
    I love Nolan, but I feel like it's too similar to Norah - am I crazy? Probably. Elliot is on my list but the growing number of bay girls with that name is making me think twice. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married 8 years - Aug 23/08
    DD - 6 years old, March 17/11
    #2 due July 19th! (It's a boy!)
  • Loading the player...
  • @megandchase Lol, no, she lives in CT and only has 2!
    Haha ok I was going to say small world! 
  • Connor for a girl? Okay or totally wacky? My grandfather's family name is Connor. Maybe Connor Marie? Connor Ann?
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @brittonlin maybe you could use it as a last name just like a family name? i knew a family across from me there family name was Connor  ... and well there's sinead o Connor too ;) 
  • @hyperangel_8509 totally understand on the similarity thing... we had a pipedream of Nolan/Norah twins so I can see how it would seem too similar. I think Elliott will always been perceived as a boys name first but if it bothers you that's what's important.

Were currently planning on Norah Elle. I've had some people not "get" Elle as a name period so that's the only real objection I've heard but most people don't know if we're having a boy or girl so they hear both sides and generally then don't express an opinion about the names. Only issue I'm having now is whether it should be Norah or Nora. I prefer the look of Norah but know it's the less common spelling. Just haven't figured out if it's too uncommon and she'll be facing misspellings her whole life (like me). 
  • @brittonlin I know a Konnor who is a girl. I wouldn't personally use it as a first name, but there are female Connor's out there!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Potterphile either spelling works but I lean towards the spelling with the h to avoid the double vowel with the middle name.

@brittonlin Honestly, I can't see Connor as a girl's name.  Of course it's your decision though!
  • Connor for a girl? Okay or totally wacky? My grandfather's family name is Connor. Maybe Connor Marie? Connor Ann?
    I know a few girls named Connor. I like boy names for girls though. 

@BusyZee not sure if you know this but you can't just change the last name. The last name of the child has to be the same as the mothers. I think the only exception is if the mother has a married name and the father of the child doesn't have the same name or isn't present. And I believe to change a name it's somewhere around $300 since you have to have the birth certificate altered as well.
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited March 2017
    Nope didn't know this!! My sister has my grandfathers name as her last name and I don't have a family/surname  just my grand grand mothers name then my own name as my last one... I've never had any issues! @MrsLa3

Edited to Add: I wrote Last Name instead of Surname/Familyname
  • Thanks! What I'm most afraid of is Connie - which is a big no for me. 
  • I prefer  Nora but like both ways. 
  • BusyZee said:
    Nope didn't know this!! My sister has my grandfathers name as her last name and I don't have a last name just my grand grand mothers name then my own name as my last one... I've never had any issues! @MrsLa3

This makes no sense. You don't have a last name? But your last name is your name? Everyone has a last name.
  • I am not sure you know but in other cultures it's not necessary at all, and we've never come across any issues in other countries either. My mums last name is Hina and mine is Zara and that's the name we go by. As far as documentation goes any documents we do fill in, our last name go in the family name Section. Iv never had an issue! My H was born and raised here and his last name does not match his mothers either. 
  • MrsLa3 said:

@BusyZee not sure if you know this but you can't just change the last name. The last name of the child has to be the same as the mothers. I think the only exception is if the mother has a married name and the father of the child doesn't have the same name or isn't present. And I believe to change a name it's somewhere around $300 since you have to have the birth certificate altered as well.
    Uhhh, no it doesn't.  You can literally name your baby whatever you want.  They're a brand new person, with a brand new birth certificate.  If down the line you (or they) want to change their name then yeah, you're going to have to pay for it.    

"In the United States there are no legal stipulations forcing you to give your baby a specific name."
    "Each state has its own stipulations, but typically there are few limitations to what name your baby, including a different last name."

Sure, everyone has a "last" name in the literal sense but it could just be some random ass name.  It doesn't necessarily mean it's familial.  It's a very westernized term and is more commonly referred to as a surname or family name elsewhere but again, it doesn't need to have anything to do with your family.  Which I'm 99% sure is what she meant.  Sure she has a "last" name but it has nothing to do with her family.  It's just the last of her 2 or 3 given names.  
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • @stokesm21 actually it does. In my situation I never changed my insurance card from my maiden name and they told me at the hospital that DD'S name had to have the same name as my insurance. And to throw another example out there, when my mom had my brother she couldnt give him her last name bc it was a married name and she was divorced. She had to ask my dad (not my brothers) if she could put his name down since it's the one she had. She had to put her maiden name down. So maybe it is different states, and given my experiences you literally cannot give anyone a name.
  • I probably wouldn't choose something random, but I'm going to have a different last name from my kid.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • I have a cousin that has her moms maiden name, her bio parents weren't married when she was born and the process to get her last name changed was extensive and expensive even tho her bio dad was listed on her birth certificate. 
    ME: 34 | DH: 36
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC:6/2016
    BFP: 11/22/2016 | EDD: 7/29/2017

• @glitterfish did you keep your maiden name? If so, that is obviously a completely different circumstance than just picking a random new last name for your child for shits and giggles. 

Honestly when we got married, I never really even considered keeping my maiden name. And part of the reason was because when we had kids I wanted us all to have the same last name. I know it doesn't really 'mean' anything or change our family dynamic or anything like that. It was just something I wanted. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • XathXath member
    MrsLa3 said:
    BusyZee said:
    Nope didn't know this!! My sister has my grandfathers name as her last name and I don't have a last name just my grand grand mothers name then my own name as my last one... I've never had any issues! @MrsLa3

This makes no sense. You don't have a last name? But your last name is your name? Everyone has a last name.
    Interestingly enough this is a relatively recent (in the grand scheme of things) development and still isn't consistent around the world.

I found this article fascinating:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surname 

"During the modern era, many cultures around the world adopted family names, particularly for administrative reasons, especially during the age of European expansion and particularly since 1600. Notable examples include the Netherlands (1811), Japan (1870s),Thailand (1920),and Turkey (1934). Nonetheless, their use is not universal: Icelanders, Tibetans, Burmese, Javanese, and many people groups in East Africa do not use family names."

Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • If you live in the states, it's impossible to not have a last name, but okay. 
  • @MrsLa3 in my husbands culture the children would use DH first name as their last name. You can name your kid whatever you please! 
    This is not true everywhere. In the US, naming law are governed by state. And many have restrictions on both first and last names. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • CPR79CPR79 member
    @rae1 Yup, I kept my name. I figured I could always change it later if I had an overwhelming desire to match, but couldn't very well go back if it wasn't my jam!
    DH has a very boring last name! lol
    Yeah I kept my name too.  Actually I had planned on hyphenating my name and just never bothered to do that legally.

I'm confused by @MrsLa3 saying the baby's name has to be the mother's name?  I've never heard of that.  The baby will have my husband's last name and I assumed that would not be a problem? 

• CPR79 said:
    @rae1 Yup, I kept my name. I figured I could always change it later if I had an overwhelming desire to match, but couldn't very well go back if it wasn't my jam!
    Yeah I kept my name too.  Actually I had planned on hyphenating my name and just never bothered to do that legally.

I'm confused by @MrsLa3 saying the baby's name has to be the mother's name?  I've never heard of that.  The baby will have my husband's last name and I assumed that would not be a problem? 

Hee hee, I would not be torn up if the hospital insisted on giving him my name!
    Alas, my husband's name is the primary on the insurance card...
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • clioclio member
    @CPR79 I kept my last name as well. I had no issues with DD having her father's last name- I personally have never heard of this being a problem before.
  • Apparently TB already has this covered state by state. 

https://www.thebump.com/a/baby-name-rules
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • I kept my maiden name after marriage, and both my kids (and this third one) have my husbands last name which is obviously different than mine. It's never been a problem, though the primary carrier of our insurance is my husband, so maybe that's why insurance was not an issue? 

In my parents culture, children are given a first name, and the rest of their name is their fathers full name. So assume the fathers name is Billy Bob. And then I'm born and they name me Jane. So my name would be Jane Billy Bob. My middle name is my fathers first name and my last name is the same as my fathers. It's different, but family name is still very much kept. No random new name is chosen as a last name. 
  • stokesm21 said:
    Apparently TB already has this covered state by state. 

https://www.thebump.com/a/baby-name-rules
    I'm not convinced that list is completely true. It says TX doesn't allow any accents or tildes. But those are both so common in traditional hispanic names (both given and surnames), so you see it all the time on official documents like birth certificates. 
    ***** TTCAL/Forever Buddy to Cour10e******
    -m/c at 11w2d due to partial molar 2008 -m/c #2 2009
    Beautiful daughter born February 2011
    **Ultimate TTCALer 2009**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @hyperangel_8509 totally understand on the similarity thing... we had a pipedream of Nolan/Norah twins so I can see how it would seem too similar. I think Elliott will always been perceived as a boys name first but if it bothers you that's what's important.

Were currently planning on Norah Elle. I've had some people not "get" Elle as a name period so that's the only real objection I've heard but most people don't know if we're having a boy or girl so they hear both sides and generally then don't express an opinion about the names. Only issue I'm having now is whether it should be Norah or Nora. I prefer the look of Norah but know it's the less common spelling. Just haven't figured out if it's too uncommon and she'll be facing misspellings her whole life (like me). 
    We did Norah because our last name is only 3 letters so Nora looked too short. Some people misspell it, but for the most part it's the same as "My name is Sarah with an H". 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married 8 years - Aug 23/08
    DD - 6 years old, March 17/11
    #2 due July 19th! (It's a boy!)
  • CPR79 said:

Hee hee, I would not be torn up if the hospital insisted on giving him my name!
    Alas, my husband's name is the primary on the insurance card...
    I didn't change my name when I got married, and we gave our son my husband's last name (no problem whatsoever, and I hold our insurance), but the hospital band for my son had my last name. I kind of loved it, however short lived it was!
  • we chose Omar for our baby boy. i have a first cousin named Omar so when I told my sisters that’s all they could think of. I wasn’t 100% sure about the name so I said I welcomed suggestions but didn’t like any of them so Omar it is!

My in laws didn’t like my daughter’s name, they didn’t say it to my face but it was so clear from their reaction but I didn’t care. (funny story, MIL was holding my 1 month old daughter and singing her name so her son was like oh now you like the name when I wanted to name my daughter that you all said it was ugly! poor MIL tried to deny it lmao

@michelle04us

My daughter’s name is also the name of a Greek demon who ate children, I changed the spelling (i to y) and went with it anyway but I didn’t tell anyone about that including my husband :P

• BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited March 2017
    What's your baby girls name? @mars8k

i need an easier name to pronounce in addition to my current final name (Haider) and I'm thinking Esa... my mum suggested Omar to me too lol

Esa Haider?.. hopefully everyone agrees to that without driving me crazy.
  • BusyZee said:

i need an easier name to pronounce in addition to my current final name (Haider) and I'm thinking Esa... my mum suggested Omar to me too lol

So is this not pronounced "Hater"?  :o
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Hahaha no!!!! Don't say that!! :'( You see that's the issue! That's why I want another name. It's pronounced like heather! But I love that name, it has lots of history and it means lion king which is cute.
  • BusyZee said:

Why does everyone have to agree to it?  Shouldn't it be yours and your husbands decision what you name your child?
    ME: 34 | DH: 36
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC:6/2016
    BFP: 11/22/2016 | EDD: 7/29/2017

• Oh I'm going to keep the name ;) I just don't want them(immediate family from both sides) driving me crazy for it lol @SquirttheTurtle