Baby Names

Help Finding Middle Ground - Girl Names

DH and I are struggling to agree with anything when it comes to a girl's name. We don't know the sex of this baby yet, but I like to be prepared. We had this same issue with my DS.

The biggest issue seems to be that I like more feminine and traditional names whereas he leans toward more masculine "boy names turned girl" which is NMS AT ALL.

His top 3 girl's names for DS were: Mason, Carson, Elliott
Some of my top names right now: Gemma, Iris, Cecily, Freya, Rosemary nn Rosie, and Susannah

Recently I mentioned Penny as a nn for Penelope. He liked Penny but not Penelope. Any other names I suggest just get an "it's okay" and a shrug. It's maddening!

So basically, I need some help finding some middle ground. I prefer names that are not too popular and have some kind of history. Anyone have any suggestions? 
 --------
I heart theSkimm
I heart YNAB
---------
“Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
- Albus Dumbledore

Re: Help Finding Middle Ground - Girl Names

• Not sure I have suggestions for your feminine list, yours are great! Not a huge fan of his picks although I do enjoy unisex boyish names on girls. Especially Mason and Carson are not good at all! Perhaps You could consider These are middle ground options?

Casey
    Sawyer
    Jesse
    Arlo
    Marlowe
    Paige
    Robin
    Claire (classic traditional girl but not as frilly)

• I really like your list!  You could do something with a more masculine nn?

Miranda nn Randa
    Victoria nn Vic or Tori
    Alexandria nn Alex
    Corrine nn Cori

Or some that are not super frilly 

Bridget
    Cora
    Audra
    Kendra
    Arden
    Ramona
    Ingrid
    Jenna
    Raquel
    Nadia
    Bianca

• Loading the player...
  • I loooove Penny (Penelope) actually I just love your whole list. Def not a fan of H's though. Curious, what's your sons name? 

Some suggestions:
    Olive
    Piper
    Gia
    Cassidy
    Joanna nn Jo/Joey 
    Charlotte nn Charlie (popular though)
    Elizabeth nn Birdie
    Polly
    Louise
    Winter (GP name)
    Samantha nn Sam
    Violet
    Tessa
    Norah
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Oh yes! DS is Evander but he goes by EJ for now.

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I'll run some of these by him and see if any get a response other than "meh".
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • I will add that I thought about using Penny as a standalone name. But I didn't think it worked with Evander as a sib-set, even if he doesn't go by that most of the time.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    That must be so frustrating. 
    What about sloane? Leona? Alexandra. Elizabeth. 
  • I love Sloane and he would probably like it also but unfortunately it doesn't work with our one syllable last name that ends with -n. 

We have a niece named Alexandria so that eliminates Alexandra too. 

I do like a lot of these other suggestions too! We will see what he says!
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • I will add that I thought about using Penny as a standalone name. But I didn't think it worked with Evander as a sib-set, even if he doesn't go by that most of the time.
    FWIW I think Penny works as a stand alone name just fine, but I do prefer it as a nickname to Penelope! Also I think it goes well with Evander! Good luck :smile:
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Thora
    Dagney
    Greer
    Carson, Mason or Elliott on a girl is so ridiculous and will end up being very dated (I think that the boys name on girls is slowing down already)
  • Unisex names that still feel girly and kind of classic: Cameron, Rowan, Lane, Morgan, Reese. He might also like something like Tessa, Stella, Carmen, Carys
  • How about
    Arden
    Adair
    Claire
    Louise (Lou)
    Willa
    Hazel
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Also maybe Reese or Briar? Blair?
  • I gave him a rather large list from these suggestions and his response was "I don't mind Piper or Willa."

-sigh- It's a start I guess!
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • Well those are both great:)
  • Well those are both great:)
    Agree!
  • Gemma and Iris are sooooo much better than the names he suggested!!! ... but for not super feminine or possibly unisex I would say Sawyer, Bailey, Ashley, Madison, Rowan, Poppy
  • I love the unisex style names for girls so I am all about DH's list. I will say I have heard Penny as a nickname for Spencer. It's on our list, so I had done some nn research. I had always though Spence, but I liked Penny for Spencer. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @smallbutmighty77 I did see Spencer as an option for Penny. The others I found were Penrose and Penninah. I just don't think any of those really goes well with DS's name. :\
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • I think Willa is so pretty and it's not one I've really noticed around before. Goes great with Evander, I think. 
    Me: 31 DH: 35
    Married since 05.16.2009
    Expecting #1: 10.10.2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hey girl!

The super masculine name for a girl is also NMS, but I think the right gender neutral name paired with a more feminine middle name can be really nice! Names I've seen lately that I like:

Harlan
    Avery
    Blake
    Bobbie
    Casey
    Jordan
    Kyle
    Peyton

And I know this is super trendy but I actually also really like James for a girl. 

• I actually got him to somewhat agree with Regina nn Reggie! We are making some progress here. 

Thanks for all of your suggestions!
    Regina is strong and underused, amd not trendy at all. Solid contender!
  • I like your names better, not super into the masculine names for girls trend. However, I don't mind a masculine middle name for a compromise. Or maybe a feminine name with a masculine nickname? 

Some more unisex suggestions:
    Quinn
    Reilly
    Avery 
    Rowan (this is boy to me but I know it's getting more common for girls)

Feminine names with masculine nicknames:
    Charlotte nn Charlie
    Georgia nn Georgie (I'm due in October and am currently a little obsessed with this, but I have name commitment issues so that may change)
    Danielle nn Danny
    Samantha nn Sam
    Alexandra nn Alex
    Agusta nn Gus

Good luck finding some middle ground!

• My cousin named her daughter Karsyn. The spelling girls it up a little.
  • FakeFinn said:
    amye77 said:
    My cousin named her daughter Karsyn. The spelling girls it up a little.
    No, it doesn't.

OP, I'm not into boy names on girls, but if you go with a boy name, then own it: do your daughter a favour and spell the name correctly.
    This. And don't worry, I'm not into alternate spellings. 

We will be choosing a girl's name, it's just a matter of finding the right one for DH.
    :thumbs up:

Has anyone suggested Georgette already?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Nope! I'll add that to the list for DH. Georgie is a super cute nickname too!
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • I love Willa and wish we could use it for our girl but our last name is Hunter and Willa Hunter is just ridiculous. I can't think of any new suggestions but I also really like Quinn. Good luck finding a name you can agree on, it isn't easy!
  • @Mrscrocodile Thank you! I LOOOOOOVE Quinn but unfortunately it is a big surname in my hometown so that would be a little odd.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore